do we have our own rebuild on the horizon?

greggakd

at the end of this season, as it stands we have, off the top of my head, McGregor Davis McLaughlin Arfield Defoe Goldson Balogun out of contract and the likes of Aribo, Morelos Jack Helander and Kent all going into their final years of their contracts. I imagine some will be offered and sign new contracts, possibly Defoe and McGregor retiring at the end of the season but thats a lot of important players potentially moving on or needing sold if we are to get any fee for them.

at the end of this season, as it stands we have, off the top of my head, McGregor Davis McLaughlin Arfield Defoe Goldson Balogun out of contract and the likes of Aribo, Morelos Jack Helander and Kent all going into their final years of their contracts. I imagine some will be offered and sign new contracts, possibly Defoe and McGregor retiring at the end of the season but thats a lot of important players potentially moving on or needing sold if we are to get any fee for them.
Of course we do. We have six players packed with experience leaving or retiring. Based on those six alone it’s a big task to replace them. It not exactly a surprise to anyone

Definitely & it’s a lot of players, especially if the contract players are not renewed.

We appear to be all in, keeping the current players in order to win the league and that CL Group stage pot of gold.
New contracts and/or player sales at the end of the season will be vital to our ongoing development.
Goldson has had his chance at a new deal, his wages can secure a better player.
Alfredo is a depreciating asset imo, again his wages and any decent offer should be used for a better more clinical player.
Davis,McGregor, Barker and Arfield races have been run. 3 of them have been terrific for us.
There are question marks over other players futures in terms of form and limited time left on their contracts.
This season is huge for us. Failure could well halt the progress we have made so far.

We have a big season coming up in relation to the squad. One big disappointment for me is that only really Patterson from the youths look likes he will break through. I had hoped by now we would have had two or three in that position. However a few of the existing players will hopefully sign and extension .

I think we will lose mcgregor, Goldson, tav, aribo and Morelos next summer, potentially kamara and kent too, major rebuild

We appear to be all in, keeping the current players in order to win the league and that CL Group stage pot of gold.
New contracts and/or player sales at the end of the season will be vital to our ongoing development.
Goldson has had his chance at a new deal, his wages can secure a better player.
Alfredo is a depreciating asset imo, again his wages and any decent offer should be used for a better more clinical player.
Davis,McGregor, Barker and Arfield races have been run. 3 of them have been terrific for us.
There are question marks over other players futures in terms of form and limited time left on their contracts.
This season is huge for us. Failure could well halt the progress we have made so far.
Yes, well put.

We simply must ensure that the new players that are brought in aren't just squad fillers, or "prospects".

This January is the one that we need to be securing good good players for the summer.
Of course most of them will be on frees, but this is where we're going to see if our much lauded scouting team, management & Board can deliver on such a scale.

Having us well ahead by January would of course encourage some players to sign for us ...

It's a natural progression with football teams a constant revolving door,Players out players in preferably a slow steady rebuild rather than a total rebuild..

It'll be the end of a cycle, and by God we'll need the CL money for it

Mcgregor - I think will retire.
Goldson - already made my peace, he's away.
Balogun - will be released
Davis - legend but think this should be his last year
Barker - release.
Arfield - will be released.

As for others to be sold, I think we could realistically entertain offers for:

Borna
Kamara
Aribo
Kent
Hagi
Alfredo

I hope Ross Wilson is busy in the background!

Hopefully not a rebuild but more of the next phase.

I reckon 1/2 cb’s is a most, I reckon Goldson is going, Balogun has hinted in the summer he wants to go back to Germany, Simpson isn’t good enough and Helander I have doubts over long term fitness. Katic still has to get more game time and the rest are untried youths.

From then it depends on who leaves.

I think we’ll see McGregor leave but McLaughlin and mccrorie is good enough imo to not buy another goalkeeper.

I think both Goldson and balogun will sign extensions at the end of the season. I do think we will sell Barisic and replace him next summer as well.

Davis and arfield will leave but the introduction of lundstram will mean Davis won’t be as big a miss. Arfield hasn’t been in the squad so he’ll not be that big a miss.

And I think Morelos will either be sold January or next summer, for whatever we can get.

Barker - release.

Borna
Kamara
Aribo
Kent
Hagi
Alfredo

Aribo, Kent and Alfie are down to their last 12 months next summer.

I'll be very surprised if any of them sign new deals.

Realistically what are we looking at for them next summer ?

Morelos could only attract one £10m bid this season.

Yes of course. It's no surprise. We will need at least 5 starters next season and quite possibly another 5 squad players. I was hoping we'd start to do that this summer but what we've brought in should be going right back out thd door other than Lundstrum.

Yes we'll need to rebuild but we need to make greater use of the lioan market. The scum exploit it well, they have Jota, Carter vickers,. In the past they've always had 2/3 first team player on loan. Apart from Kent we haven't done it enough.

Its getting worrying. The financial situation looks bleak and with so many players, retiring/ leaving / end of contracts will we have funds to replace them adequately?

Next summer will be a big rebuild imo. This squad will need broken up a fair bit and money reinvested. Players out of contract will also leave. Imperative we win the league this year to get that CL money banked.

I think rebuild is a bit drastic. We need quality not quantity, if Gerrard keeps insisting on going to the English lower leagues to sign squad players then we will end up needing a rebuild.

Winning the league this season is massive for this reason alone. The £40 million CL money for our rebuild or £15million for the Europa. It’s night and day

We will hopefully have the basis of a good side nest year.

McLaughlin, Patterson, Helander, Bassey, Kamara, Jack, Lundstram, Roofe, Sakala and maybe Kelly and a few other B team/fringe players should all be here.

A decent centre half, a good finisher, a creative midfielder and a pacey wide player might need to be found but its not impossible.

I wouldn't be surprised if Aribo and Kent sign extensions, they both seem happy under Gerrard.

Alfie I think we would accept 10m and a decent sell on.

Yes. I think we will probably see the management team move on in the summer too.
Hopefully we can win the league and get access to the CL money to make it go a little bit more smoothly.

Yes, well put.

We simply must ensure that the new players that are brought in aren't just squad fillers, or "prospects".

This January is the one that we need to be securing good good players for the summer.
Of course most of them will be on frees, but this is where we're going to see if our much lauded scouting team, management & Board can deliver on such a scale.

Having us well ahead by January would of course encourage some players to sign for us ...
We have to make sure we get to a point we are sustainable without cash injections. Fans are t going to put more money in share subscription didn’t sell out and club 1872 bit of a disaster.

We can’t expect Douglas Park to fork out for ever. So players will be prospects until we increase turnover.

Unfortunately yes. Which is why we should have sold in the summer. Somehow we should have shipped at least one first teamer in.

If someone offered 5-7 million for Morelos in January I’d take it, because the way he’s playing this season he’s no where near a £10 million player

We have a big season coming up in relation to the squad. One big disappointment for me is that only really Patterson from the youths look likes he will break through. I had hoped by now we would have had two or three in that position. However a few of the existing players will hopefully sign and extension .
Can I ask a serious, and not meant to be cheeky comment? Do you go and watch the B Team in the Lowland League?

If we win the league this season, the club might find itself with a bit more bargaining power with the champions League, but my worry now that with the conference league players can play for a mid table team in one of the big leagues and still have a chance of playing in Europe leaving us further behind in terms of recruiting future talent.

Barker - release.

Borna
Kamara
Aribo
Kent
Hagi
Alfredo

I fear our future best asset could be bought for a mountain of cash - Nathan Patterson.

Can I ask a serious, and not meant to be cheeky comment? Do you go and watch the B Team in the Lowland League?
Yeh I have been to 3B team games this season at Dumbarton's ground. They look the best crop of young players I have seen in years. My point was more that some others should have broken through the in last couple of years

Yes massively

Rebuild should have started this summer but covid had hurt everyone badly

We are in need of adding quality to the team to triage the ones that are already here to n make them subs

Davis is physically finished. McGregor is done too. Those 2 need to be replaced with bona fide starters. Not squad players. Goldson will be gone. Balogun needs replaced. Simpson isnt good enough to be a Rangers squad player. Arfield will be gone in the summer. Some of the poorer squad players need to go. You then have a big decision to make on Morelos.

This summer could see the club needing 3-4 first team starters and the same again for squad depth.

Yes we'll need to rebuild but we need to make greater use of the lioan market. The scum exploit it well, they have Jota, Carter vickers,. In the past they've always had 2/3 first team player on loan. Apart from Kent we haven't done it enough.
Because they are bringing in folk on 75k a week at their parent clubs or with options to buy for 7m.

We cannot do that.

Definitely.

We have stood still. Bacuna’s cameo performance is testimony to that.

Penny for Dougie and pals thoughts if they regret not pushing the boat out. If they had, I’d contend that we would possibly be out of sight and £30m richer.

McLaughlin

Patterson
Helander
Balogun

Kamara
Lundstram

Roofe
Kent
Hagi

All most likely starting or close to starting our first game next season, folks need to calm it a bit about this TBH

Back