Gerrard since joining Villa

In 85-86 we finished 5th, 15 points behind Celtc (2 points for a win, so the equivalent of 22 points behind them now), with Hearts(also 15 points ahead ofbus(, Dundee Utd (12 points ahead) and Aberdeen (9 points ahead).

In his first season Souness won us the league by 6 points.

In the season prior to Gerrard's arriving we finished in 3rd, 12 points behind Celtc and 3 points behind Aberdeen.
In his first season, we finished 2nd, 9 points behind Celtc.

In what way is that better than what Souness did?
Shhh don’t state the facts, the lad will
Still argue black is white

In 85-86 we finished 5th, 15 points behind Celtc (2 points for a win, so the equivalent of 22 points behind them now), with Hearts(also 15 points ahead ofbus(, Dundee Utd (12 points ahead) and Aberdeen (9 points ahead).

In the season prior to Gerrard's arriving we finished in 3rd, 12 points behind Celtc and 3 points behind Aberdeen.

“So what you’re saying is you can’t name anyone then?”

There you go, I’ve posted it for him so he doesn’t have to bother.

I take into account how far behind we were
I take in to account punching well above our weight in Europe
I take into account profits made on player sales.
Some will not like it but when history looks back on Gerrard's tenure as manager it'll be very positive.
And take into account trophies won and cup records.

Willie Waddell
Jock Wallace
Graeme Souness
Walter Smith
GvB

And that's just in my lifetime.

I await the only argument you have of "but did they come from behind to beat Celtic"
All of the names you mentioned absolutely all of them as they are huge legends in their own right in our history. I will ask though did any of them lead us to a championship from being so far behind as what Gerrard done. I understand it may be uncomfortable to admit it but they didn't.

All of the names you mentioned absolutely all of them as they are huge legends in their own right in our history. I will ask though did any of them lead us to a championship from being so far behind as what Gerrard done. I understand it may be uncomfortable to admit it but they didn't.
Yes, Souness did.

Reactions: krs

Souness and Wallace.

At least 3 people have answered this on the thread already. It’s getting stupid now.

You must get your SG bedsheets off with a toffee hammer.

GvB apart, did Gerrard win the same amount of trophies as them?

Christ, the fella Archimedes has posted the cold hard facts that blow your view out the water

Mate there is no comparison.

Souness inherited some brilliant players, the likes of Derek Ferguson, Ian Durrant and Davie Cooper.

He was able to bring the England No.1 in Chris Woods and the captain of England in Terry Butcher. And we had Souness in the middle of the park :))

Do you actually remember the state of our squad when Gerrard arrived?

Mate there is no comparison.

Souness inherited some brilliant players, the likes of Derek Ferguson, Ian Durrant and Davie Cooper.

He was able to bring the England No.1 in Chris Woods and the captain of England in Terry Butcher.

Do you actually remember the state of our squad when Gerrard arrived?
You're arguing opinion over fact.

The facts can't be argued with, everyone has an opinion.

You're arguing opinion over fact.

The facts can't be argued with, everyone has an opinion.
The fact is Gerrard inherited a squad of diddies.

Souness inherited some of the best players that have ever pulled on a Rangers jersey.

That is facts, not opinion.

100% correct but did they bring us back from the depths Gerrard did.
Gerrard wasn't the manager when we were at our lowest. And he was well backed by the board and faced a Celtic team and manager that were self imploding. That's not to take away from him winning the league.

Gerrard wasn't the manager when we were at our lowest. And he was well backed by the board and faced a Celtic team and manager that were self imploding. That's not to take away from him winning the league.
That’s why I really wanted him to have the balls to address my point about how he must think Postecoglu is a miracle worker for taking them from finishing so far behind us to champions in one season. Because I know he’d have probably said “but Gerrard left and we changed manager and that was a big factor” - in which case I’d have forced him to acknowledge the huge impact that their Dubai blunder, Covid etc had on us being able to build up such a substantial lead early on. I mean we were free and clear before Christmas thanks to their self implosion.

That’s not really true, yes he was backed but unlike other managers his budget was a million miles behind our rivals and in the modern game that’s usually telling. I love Souness, and I mean love him but Gerard achievement in winning the league at his 3rd attemp was a far better achievement than Souness winning it in his first season

I did say at the time that Gerrard’s tenure will be viewed as an overall failure when looking back on it.

He majorly underachieved domestically. Those cup failures year after year were a downright disgrace.

He got there in the end but the process was far too slow. I think most would agree that winning the league in the 2nd season was the aim.

However, I would say that Gerrard had it harder than any of our managers coming into get us motoring once again as functioning team.

Souness had more to work with and inherited some of the best players to ever pull on a Rangers jersey. He could go out and sign the best players that England had to offer. The process with Souness was always going to be faster than the process we had with Gerrard.

Gerrard our greatest ever manager? Am I reading that right? Trolling surely to fck :))

One title against a dhim side that had an utter meltdown in the same season does not equate to brilliance. It was long overdue.

He did a good job. He gave us a good league season and got us on a better footing in Europe.

He’ll get a favourable mention in time to come. But that’s it.

That’s why I really wanted him to have the balls to address my point about how he must think Postecoglu is a miracle worker for taking them from finishing so far behind us to champions in one season. Because I know he’d have probably said “but Gerrard left and we changed manager and that was a big factor” - in which case I’d have forced him to acknowledge the huge impact that their Dubai blunder, Covid etc had on us being able to build up such a substantial lead early on. I mean we were free and clear before Christmas thanks to their self implosion.
If the board had backed Gerrard he'd have exposed postecoglu but unfortunately they didn't

That’s not really true, yes he was backed but unlike other managers his budget was a million miles behind our rivals and in the modern game that’s usually telling. I love Souness, and I mean love him but Gerard achievement in winning the league at his 3rd attemp was a far better achievement than Souness winning it in his first season
About £7m for Kent, £3m odds for each of Hagi, Helander and Goldson, couple of million for each of Katic, Barisic and Grezda. That’s before you even consider that we barely sold a player for profit AND his two best players were inherited.

Gerrard was backed superbly, would be an insult to the board to suggest anything else, and he was most certainly backed with money that should have been enough to challenge for the title and put some domestic trophies in the bag.

If the board had backed Gerrard he'd have exposed postecoglu but unfortunately they didn't
Yeah of course Mitty. Similar to how if his second season had been played to a finish we’d have clawed back that lead, stopped toiling every week, won all our remaining games with them also losing games, won the league and saw pigs fly.

Bad news for him today with new CB signing basically being ruled out for season.

He’ll need to go crawling back to Tyrone Mings now!!

Or maybe he’ll go in a wee huff and half arse his job it if their Board don’t throw more money at him to spend. Again.

The board backed Gerrard well, very well. He got everything he wanted, updated training, new pitch, updated facilities at Ibrox.

It is disingenuous to the board to say that they never backed him.
He did raise our standards however after winning 55 the board didn't back Gerrard which unfortunately could cost us millions of pounds.

Yeah of course Mitty. Similar to how if his second season had been played to a finish we’d have clawed back that lead, stopped toiling every week, won all our remaining games with them also losing games, won the league and saw pigs fly.
Yes Mitty I'm still awaiting you informing me which manager took us from being as far behind Celtic to becoming champions as which Gerrard did. Obviously you can't think of anyone so you'll just throw insults.

Bad news for him today with new CB signing basically being ruled out for season.

He’ll need to go crawling back to Tyrone Mings now!!

Or maybe he’ll go in a wee huff and half arse his job it if their Board don’t throw more money at him to spend. Again.
Or maybe he'll manage properly and be a success the same way he was with us.

A fraction of Souness's budget in real terms.

Yes Mitty I'm still awaiting you informing me which manager took us from being as far behind Celtic to becoming champions as which Gerrard did. Obviously you can't think of anyone so you'll just throw insults.
You’ve been told several times already. You’re being embarrassed here, even by posters who are still on SG’s side. You’re genuinely coming across as being delusional. There’s no insults here, you’ve been given answers and chosen to ignore them because they don’t suit your starry eyed SG agenda, therefore you’re a Walter Mitty!

Have you seen the film? It’s about a man who lives in a fantasy world. You’re doing similar by choosing to pretend that there aren’t Rangers managers who took the side from 5th to 1st, when back in the real world, there are. I mean as far as posters being humiliated goes this is up there, I’m surprised you’re sticking around for it to be honest - I don’t know if that’s to be admired of pitied.

As much as i liked steve gerrard - a more recent gauge is that he and his coaching staff would never had the technical nuance to get Rangers to the EL final.

Last edited:
He did raise our standards however after winning 55 the board didn't back Gerrard which unfortunately could cost us millions of pounds.
And here we go again. Back to square one, the board cost us millions by abiding by his wish to have no players sold, whilst also failing to produce money from thin air.

And of course Gerrard making a complete rip roaring c**t of two games against Malmö because he was ill prepared, too busy sulking and spending time down south to manage his team correctly, had no influence in costing us millions did it? The futures this goes the less of a Rangers fan you appear.

We were just off the back of a season of no matchday revenue, surely to fuk Gerrard understood that? Or did he take the huff?

The fact is Gerrard inherited a squad of diddies.

Souness inherited some of the best players that have ever pulled on a Rangers jersey.

That is facts, not opinion.
No, the facts are that Souness overturned a greater points defecit/league position more quickly than Gerrard did.

The ability of players is opinion, there is no factual measure of a player's ability.

If the players Souness inherited were "some of the best that have ever pulled on a Rangers jersey", then why did they finish 5th in the league the season before he took over?

And here we go again. Back to square one, the board cost us millions by abiding by his wish to have no players sold, whilst also failing to produce money from thin air.

And of course Gerrard making a complete rip roaring c**t of two games against Malmö because he was ill prepared, too busy sulking and spending time down south to manage his team correctly, had no influence in costing us millions did it? The futures this goes the less of a Rangers fan you appear.
Good try in manipulation but has any manager in our history won us a championship after coming from so far behind. The board did not back Gerrard after winning 55 which potentially has cost us the champions league riches.

No, the facts are that Souness overturned a greater points defecit/league position more quickly than Gerrard did.

The ability of players is opinion, there is no factual measure of a player's ability.

If the players Souness inherited were "some of the best that have ever pulled on a Rangers jersey", then why did they finish 5th in the league the season before he took over?
That's not entirely true as we were not suffering record humiliating defeats to Celtic prior to Souness arrival.

It’s a fact that Davie Cooper was a better player than Dalcio.

Good try in manipulation but has any manager in our history won us a championship after coming from so far behind. The board did not back Gerrard after winning 55 which potentially has cost us the champions league riches.
Manipulation? You’ve been given answers and you’ve even been given detailed justifications for those answers. But you don’t want to know because your primary allegiances are with Liverpool and Gerrard.

You’ve embarrassed yourself, due to your detachment from reality, your schoolgirl crush, and the fact you didn’t phave the stones to address several questions I’ve put to you on this thread.

Anyway you’ve had a nightmare, but happy wanking over another season of mediocrity for Villa!

Souness also had others to contend with. Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Hearts for example, were way more competitive.
Yes he certainly did particularly Aberdeen however we were not as far behind Celtic as we were when Gerrard took over and we certainly were not on the end of record breaking humiliating defeats to Celtic

Back