Gerrard since joining Villa

Manipulation? You’ve been given answers and you’ve even been given detailed justifications for those answers. But you don’t want to know because your primary allegiances are with Liverpool and Gerrard.

You’ve embarrassed yourself, due to your detachment from reality, your schoolgirl crush, and the fact you didn’t phave the stones to address several questions I’ve put to you on this thread.

Anyway you’ve had a nightmare, but happy wanking over another season of mediocrity for Villa!
That's your opinion however I'm still awaiting an answer as to which manager took us from being do far behind to becoming champions. I get you don't like Liverpool or Gerrard but facts will speak for themselves and you are the only one embarrassing yourself trying to argue against it.

That's your opinion however I'm still awaiting an answer as to which manager took us from being do far behind to becoming champions. I get you don't like Liverpool or Gerrard but facts will speak for themselves and you are the only one embarrassing yourself trying to argue against it.
5th to 1st or 3rd to 1st after 3 bites at the cherry? I mean I really worry for you if you can’t work out how 5th is further behind than 3rd. Not to mention the fact 86 was a time when the overall strength of the league was far greater. I’m also not offering opinions, I’m offering factual evidence. You see I only deal with reality, I’m not interested in living in a made up world where I only see what I wish to see based on my own prejudices.

But yes I’m embarrassing, that’s why you’re the one being ridiculed left, right and centre. I don’t dislike Gerrard by the way, I also don’t care about his career from here on in. That’s of no relevance here though, whereas your avatar and your schoolgirl crush are clearly a massive influence on how you cherry pick your metrics to determine what makes a great Rangers manager. I’m only concerned with Rangers, you’d be more at home on a forum dedicated to the verbal fellation of Gerrard.

5th to 1st or 3rd to 1st after 3 bites at the cherry? I mean I really worry for you if you can’t work out how 5th is further behind than 3rd. Not to mention the fact 86 was a time when the overall strength of the league was far greater.

But yes I’m embarrassing, that’s why you’re the one being ridiculed left, right and centre. I don’t dislike Gerrard by the way, I also don’t care about his career from here on in. That’s of no relevance here though, whereas your avatar and your schoolgirl crush are clearly a massive influence on how you cherry pick your metrics to determine what makes a great Rangers manager. I’m only concerned with Rangers, you’d be more at home on a forum dedicated to the verbal fellation of Gerrard.

:D

5th to 1st or 3rd to 1st after 3 bites at the cherry? I mean I really worry for you if you can’t work out how 5th is further behind than 3rd. Not to mention the fact 86 was a time when the overall strength of the league was far greater. I’m also not offering opinions, I’m offered factual evidence. You see I only deal with reality, I’m not interested in living in a made up world where I only see what I wish to see based on my own prejudices.

You don't care about Gerrard but you don't miss a chance to besmirch his time managing us.Souness and 1986 that championship season which was a brilliant achievement however were we suffering record breaking defeats against Celtic and were we being subjected to Celtic players tieing scarfs to goalposts.

You don't care about Gerrard but you don't miss a chance to besmirch his time managing us.Souness and 1986 that championship season which was a brilliant achievement however were we suffering record breaking defeats against Celtic and were we being subjected to Celtic players tieing scarfs to goalposts.
You don’t care about Rangers as much though. And in what way am I besmirching it? 55 was great, Europe was great, his first two seasons were littered with embarrassing results/patches of form and the way he left was less than endearing. I’m not the one lying and making up nonsense to shame the board here, now that’s what you call besmirched.

But of course, I clearly forgot that league titles are decided on the size of the defeats you take to Celtic, and not your actual final position in the league, ergo 3rd is clearly not as bad as 5th. You’re just making more of an arse of yourself here, I mean imagine implying that we were further behind because we suffered some heavy OF defeats, rather than looking at our actual league position, which was actually far worse. I’m not wasting any more time on a SG cuck who quite clearly has more affection for him than for Rangers. So goodnight mate.

You don’t care about Rangers as much though. And in what way am I besmirching it? 55 was great, Europe was great, his first two seasons were littered with embarrassing results/patches of form and the way he left was less than endearing. I’m not the one lying and making up nonsense to shame the board here, now that’s what you call besmirched.

But of course, I clearly forgot that league titles are decided on the size of the defeats you take to Celtic, and not your actual final position in the league, ergo 3rd is clearly not as bad as 5th. You’re just making more of an arse of yourself here, I mean imagine implying that we were further behind because we suffered some heavy OF defeats, rather than looking at our actual league position, which was actually far worse. I’m not wasting any more time on a SG cuck who quite clearly has more affection for him than for Rangers. So goodnight mate.
So does that mean you can't think of a manager that's taken us from being so far behind Celtic to champions the way Gerrard did then?

I would leave this, he's not doing well there and I'm not sure how that changes any time soon.
Many were expecting or hoping he dropped points to Everton but he didn't I'm sure after Villa's next defeat all the Gerrard haters will be hoping he gets sacked that's why the thread was started.

I don’t think anyone would argue that Gerrard didnt improve us as a club. The issue myself and others have is the way he left. If we’re honest he couldn’t wait to get out the door, which makes you question if he ever had any strong feelings for us.

Whilst he certainly improved us his record is hardly a Rangers great. One trophy in three seasons is hardly the stuff of legends. Had he stayed and repeated the feat things might be different. However, for me it seemed a bit like he got out while his stock was high.

Maybe time will soften my attitude, but I can’t see him ever being classed in the same group as Smith, Wallace, Symon, Struth and Wilton.

Many were expecting or hoping he dropped points to Everton but he didn't I'm sure after Villa's next defeat all the Gerrard haters will be hoping he gets sacked that's why the thread was started.
One result against a very poor Everton side hardly means he's doing well. I don't think anyone hates Gerrard, but he's gone and that's that.

I’m genuinely stunned at some of the posts in this thread! :oops:

There’s either a good few bitter men in here regards Gerrard leaving or you don’t/didn’t share the same experience as a supporter I did in terms of winning 55,stopping 10IAR,rescuing the club on the field and ultimately coming out victorious at the end of a draining and epic 10 year battle against that mob and Scottish football and a large part of society.

We all know that it was a ramshackled attempt at 10IAR due to us being exiled and them being awarded trophies for leagues that were abandoned but our lives as Rangers supporters would’ve been hell if they’d achieved it.

Tav,Morelos,Goldson,Kent,Dougie Park,Dave King,the whole cast would’ve been deemed as failures,players sold,teams broken up,reputations and legacy ruined.

Stopping that 10IAR attempt was much more important and meant a lot more than stopping them in the 70s or our failed attempt in the 90s.After everything that went on from 2012 was onwards it meant everything or it certainly did to me.It meant the world as a Rangers supporter.

To hear folk attempt to talk down it or bitch about the domestic cup record is actually tragic.Gerrard took us from 12 old firm games without a win and receiving some serious hidings to the dominant force in these fixtures.

He punched well above our wait in Europe under him.We had no right going into match day 6 that first season still with a chance of qualification.The 4 round route to the group stages alone was impressive.The second season we made it to the last 16 after some tremendous performances against Porto,Feyenoord and Braga.By year 3 we were in cruise control in the group and went out to an evenly matched Slavia Prague.

Gerrard turned this club around and delivered us one of if not the most important title in our 150 year history and as the invincible champions from a position a country mile behind the tims.

I’m also not sure how anyone can’t claim GvB is an upgrade or better manager.The jury is out on that one and time will tell.Oh and Seville doesn’t happen without Gerrard who imo takes a chunk of credit for it.It was his team,his players and his inroads in Europe the previous 3 season that gave us and the players the base for that run.

Gerrard was a young man in his first managerial job under immense pressure and had us from the day he took over to 55 on an upwards trajectory.The second season collapse was heartbreaking at the time and frustrating but that shi!t happens when a club or group of players is out to achieve what we were trying to do.Look at Manchester Utd in 1991/92 the year before they eventually ended their 25 year drought.It was uncharted territory for almost the whole squad bar McGregor & Davis.

Maybe the guys skimming over the actually reality of what happened and unfolded are the same guys that used to post when we were in the lower leagues they didn’t miss the old firm games and wouldn’t attend them again when we got back to the top flight.Severe lack of tickets on sale in the FF ticket office on old firm week..

If King,the 3 bears,Paul Murray etc save the club off the park,Gerrard and his management team saved it on it and I’ll be forever grateful to each and everyone of them.

I don't usually click on this thread, and don't look - either way - for Villa results.

What Gerrard done for us was monumental and at the time I loved him for it.
The day he left, he went out of my sphere of thinking.

I wish him neither well, nor bad.

That's a huge blow however he's at a club where he'll be backed now.

He was backed to the hilt by our club. I absolutely will not buy in to the myth that the club didn't back him, because they absolutely did and numerous times. The one summer they didn't give him a hefty transfer kitty to play with(we still signed Lundstram, Sakala, Ofoborh and Bacuna), he spat the dummy and refused to allow the club to cash in on any first team players. He then proceeded to make an arse of the Malmo tie and we had an extremely meek start to our League title defence, while that mob across the city were still in a veritable shambles.

Gio has lost Aribo, Bassey and Patterson during his short time at the club, he could possibly lose one or two more by the end of the window, if the price is right. We didn't sell a single first team level player under Gerrard. Not one, unless you include Josh Windass. All at Gerrard's volition and that's a rarity in football for a club in our financial position. Even our rivals cashed in on star players throughout Gerrard's tenure. He was given a decent amount of funds in the run up to the 55 season, despite the club facing massive losses due to Covid too.

Gerrard deserves praise were it is merited but he's not immune to criticism, or he shouldn't be. The manner in which left us, leaves a sour taste in the mouth and there's zero point denying that. I hope he does well at Villa, but there's also zero point denying he's not exactly lit up the PL since arriving there and that he's now under serious pressure to start delivering.

Grateful for his contribution but still cannot wipe away the sour taste of his exit behaviour
When 56 arrives his memory will diminish

Yes he certainly did particularly Aberdeen however we were not as far behind Celtic as we were when Gerrard took over and we certainly were not on the end of record breaking humiliating defeats to Celtic
Why is that your only gauge for success? Can you talk us through Gerrard's cup record? And try to do it without mentioning tying scarfs around goalposts and heavy defeats to Celtic.

Can I just point out our record defeat never came in the years before Gerrard was appointed it came in 1957.

I don’t think anyone would argue that Gerrard didnt improve us as a club.
Id say thats underestimating the situation to a breath-taking degree. Its not like Rangers had underachieved for a season or two and needed picking up, the club was at Rock-bottom after years of being mismanaged on and off the pitch. All aspects of its operation and lifeblood needed to be changed and upgraded, this being done against an ever increasing barrier of pressure as season after season of failure built up.

Gerrard not only achieved that lofty task but he did it against all the odds and he fought our corner every step of the way in a style few Managers wouldve. Say what you will about his exit but he risked his rep massively by taking the Rangers job when he did because he saw the potential and matched it his own ambitions.

Make no mistake, without Gerrard there would be no 55 and God only knows where Rangers would be now. Quite possibly with someone like Jack Ross, Ross Jack or Jack Off as Manager.

Gerrard's time at Rangers and the context of the situation as it was is not comparable to your typical new Manager taking control of a club because it had never been like that before and, thanks to him, it wont ever happen again.

Why is that your only gauge for success? Can you talk us through Gerrard's cup record? And try to do it without mentioning tying scarfs around goalposts and heavy defeats to Celtic.
Gerrard's cup record was poor although I believe he won the trophy that mattered more than any other. Would you have preferred him winning a few cups but not the league I certainly wouldn't.

Gerrard's cup record was poor although I believe he won the trophy that mattered more than any other. Would you have preferred him winning a few cups but not the league I certainly wouldn't.
"Poor" it was absolutely disgraceful. And of course I'd prefer the league over a cup, but that doesn't excuse his awful cup record.

It is funny how bitter some are over Gerrard :)) he came, he won the league, he left. Being bitter about it is just weird. He did inherit us from one of the worst positions in our lifetime, it was always going to take a while to win the league. I’m sure he will finish in the 8th-12th range, they’ll need to sign a new centre back for that, plus a number 8.

"Poor" it was absolutely disgraceful. And of course I'd prefer the league over a cup, but that doesn't excuse his awful cup record.
Do you not think his performances in Europe and winning us 55 far outweighed the negatives regarding his cup record.

Of course it outweighed them, but it doesn't excuse them.
I'm in no way trying to excuse his cup record because it should have been better however this he only won one trophy stuff is a poor attempt to besmirch what he actually achieved with us because the one trophy he did win mattered more than any other.

I'm in no way trying to excuse his cup record because it should have been better however this he only won one trophy stuff is a poor attempt to besmirch what he actually achieved with us because the one trophy he did win mattered more than any other.
It's not a poor attempt, it's a fact. And it wasn't Celtic beating us in these cup competitions. It was St Johnstone, St Mirren, Aberdeen and Hearts.

Last edited:
I wish Steven Gerrard all the best at AV. I hope he does well with them. However, every time I see him I can’t help but feel he looks bored. If he was with us he’d have games every 3 days or so, fast and furious. At AV, his team are playing once a week. But of a come down imo.

I’m genuinely stunned at some of the posts in this thread! :oops:

There’s either a good few bitter men in here regards Gerrard leaving or you don’t/didn’t share the same experience as a supporter I did in terms of winning 55,stopping 10IAR,rescuing the club on the field and ultimately coming out victorious at the end of a draining and epic 10 year battle against that mob and Scottish football and a large part of society.

We all know that it was a ramshackled attempt at 10IAR due to us being exiled and them being awarded trophies for leagues that were abandoned but our lives as Rangers supporters would’ve been hell if they’d achieved it.

Tav,Morelos,Goldson,Kent,Dougie Park,Dave King,the whole cast would’ve been deemed as failures,players sold,teams broken up,reputations and legacy ruined.

Stopping that 10IAR attempt was much more important and meant a lot more than stopping them in the 70s or our failed attempt in the 90s.After everything that went on from 2012 was onwards it meant everything or it certainly did to me.It meant the world as a Rangers supporter.

To hear folk attempt to talk down it or bitch about the domestic cup record is actually tragic.Gerrard took us from 12 old firm games without a win and receiving some serious hidings to the dominant force in these fixtures.

He punched well above our wait in Europe under him.We had no right going into match day 6 that first season still with a chance of qualification.The 4 round route to the group stages alone was impressive.The second season we made it to the last 16 after some tremendous performances against Porto,Feyenoord and Braga.By year 3 we were in cruise control in the group and went out to an evenly matched Slavia Prague.

Gerrard turned this club around and delivered us one of if not the most important title in our 150 year history and as the invincible champions from a position a country mile behind the tims.

I’m also not sure how anyone can’t claim GvB is an upgrade or better manager.The jury is out on that one and time will tell.Oh and Seville doesn’t happen without Gerrard who imo takes a chunk of credit for it.It was his team,his players and his inroads in Europe the previous 3 season that gave us and the players the base for that run.

Gerrard was a young man in his first managerial job under immense pressure and had us from the day he took over to 55 on an upwards trajectory.The second season collapse was heartbreaking at the time and frustrating but that shi!t happens when a club or group of players is out to achieve what we were trying to do.Look at Manchester Utd in 1991/92 the year before they eventually ended their 25 year drought.It was uncharted territory for almost the whole squad bar McGregor & Davis.

Maybe the guys skimming over the actually reality of what happened and unfolded are the same guys that used to post when we were in the lower leagues they didn’t miss the old firm games and wouldn’t attend them again when we got back to the top flight.Severe lack of tickets on sale in the FF ticket office on old firm week..

If King,the 3 bears,Paul Murray etc save the club off the park,Gerrard and his management team saved it on it and I’ll be forever grateful to each and everyone of them.

Great post mate. Some toe curling stuff on this thread that wouldn't look out of place on a Filth Forum.

Based on what if Celtic couldn't beat us.
Based on the fact we were dropping points under Gerrard.
We were ahead because celtic were also dropping points.
After Gerrard left Celtic won almost every league gane they had.
Well never know if we could've matched that.

It's far less about people besmirching anything and much more about being pragmatic about his overall achievements versus you claiming he'll go down as our greatest ever manager.

55 was very good (emotionally very important for fans, for me maybe on a par with Walter's 9IAR), but in full context significantly aided by the mhanks having an utter meltdown of their own as well. So a big achievement for sure but frankly one I think he had to deliver by that time.

His European performances for me were more significant than anything he acheived domestically in terms of his managerial stature. He built some very solid foundations at EL level and made us look consistently capable of competing in that tournament.

Although I'd agree with other posters that I don't think he'd have got us to Seville last season. I think Gio looks more tactically astute that SG in that arena.

His domestic cup return was diabolical - regardless of where we were when he took over. There's no escaping it. That has to factor in any claims about where he sits in our overall ranking of our managers through history. He had a team comfortably capable of winning cups and losing to dross repeatedly.

I also think he was well backed by the board under the circumstances and had he had the nous to overcome Malmo, while leading the tie at home going into half-time in the second leg against 10 men, he'd have got more backing from the CL funds that could've brought us

Isolating a single stat and ignoring a good amount of the context around it to form an argument claiming he'll be regarded our greatest ever is just silly beyond belief.

He did a very good job in taking a vastly under-performing club in a malaise and lifting it back to a respectable place. If he'd hung around and proven he could build upon 55 and take us forward rather than have peaked, he'd have something more to back his case.

Instead, many of us could see the cracks after Malmo and called it that he had downed tools/lost his appetite. We were incredibly fortunate the dhims were going through a transition in Postecoglu's first few weeks and dropping more points than we were. Think they'd lost 3 and drawn 2 in the opening 12 games, yet we'd only a 4 point lead.

We were heading into a SF with Hibs, where frankly we were looking far from confident and were hammered in the first 45 mins. We then had Goldson do an infamous interview where the current dressing room attitude was clear for all to see - that lies as much with SG as anyone.

Gio then had to do a fair old rebuilding job on the team spirit and attitude himself.

I have no ill will towards SG. I think he did well for a rookie manager taking on a huge job. I'm grateful for his contribution. But "greatest ever manager" - you're having a laugh.

Based on the fact we were dropping points under Gerrard.
We were ahead because celtic were also dropping points.
After Gerrard left Celtic won almost every league gane they had.
Well never know if we could've matched that.

The one thing we had under Gerrard was Celtic on toast. 2 years unbeaten against them and we had already beaten Postecoglu at Ibrox with Gerrard, Tav and McGregor sitting in the house due to Covid and our 3rd choice keeper in goals.

You will never know for sure but I don't think we lose the league if Gerrard stays based on his record against Celtic alone. We didn't beat them in the league again last season after he left.

It's also worth noting that Alex McLeish took over Rangers Dec 2001, 12 points behind Celtic in the league.

A year and a half later he completed a domestic treble against O'Neill's dhim side who had dominated since he arrived and were in a European final.

SG inherited, in 2018, a side that finished just 9 points behind the dhims the season prior and took until 2021 to claim the title.

Stats without proper context...

^^^^^^^^

Just in case anyone looking in misses this hilarious and equally terrifying statement.
I'm still waiting on you letting me know what manager took us from as far behind Celtic on the park and off the park financially and managed us to become champions the way Gerrard did. Obviously managers have been far more successful however our history will look very kindly on Gerrard's tenure.

It's also worth noting that Alex McLeish took over Rangers Dec 2001, 12 points behind Celtic in the league.

A year and a half later he completed a domestic treble against O'Neill's dhim side who had dominated since he arrived and were in a European final.

SG inherited, in 2018, a side that finished just 9 points behind the dhims the season prior and took until 2021 to claim the title.

Stats without proper context...
You can even give him all the context in the world, it won’t matter a jot. He lives in a world where up is down and black is white. Where 5th place is a higher finish than 3rd place. Where winning the league in your first attempt is less impressive than needing 3 attempts. Where the board putting their hand in their own pocket time and again is viewed as “not being backed”, where winning one medal and sneaking out the back door puts a manager in pole position to be viewed as our greatest ever manager. Where someone tying a scarf to a post in a completely different era somehow increases the difficulty of the job someone has about 15 years later.

It’s all bat shit crazy stuff. What Souness, Walter and Wallace did is infinitely more impressive, proper Rangers legends too - these guys had real respect for the club, no sneaking out the back door, no pissing around in England and leaving your assistant to do all the work. “But we got beat 5-0 under Pedro so Stevie must be the best” :))

Back