Souness getting it now

It was clearly not said with any malice, just a slip of the tongue.

I wouldn't be apologising either for what was a harmless comment.
A slip of the tongue would imply he's said something wrong?

Absolutely nothing wrong with his comments. Anybody who knows football will know exactly what he was saying. Zero negativity towards women or any other pish they're saying.
Ah but a slip of the tongue and you could end up in the shit!!;)B-D

As someone said stop the world I want to get off.This country has gone batshit crazy.PC mob absolutely gone beyond the pale.

It was clearly not said with any malice, just a slip of the tongue.

I wouldn't be apologising either for what was a harmless comment.
Slip of the tongue nothing all he said was the truth it was a real man's game 11 men against 11 men wtf is up wi that ,gies peace.

I blame Sky for all of this they have a fekn cheek owned by an old decrepit mysogonist Mr Burns look alike,who has only tried to promote womans football for his own gain putting woman in to report or commentate or analyse mens football is a fucking joke i have never heard anyone of them say anything i didnt know about football allready. they are full of cliches. Souness and Roy Keane i could listen to all day and the late great Sir Walter who ive seen on clips telling his stories i sit in awe of the man but fek me any of the women who won there euros a few weeks ago i wouldnt recognise if they were walking along the PRW naked .

Surely the main issue here is people on Twitter are incorrectly stating that he’s drawing comparisons with womens football. I always thought the term “it’s a man’s game” was more about a game being physical and aggressive, ie the game in question wasn’t for kids (or boys in this case). Never believed the term was used to compare it to womens football. I could understand the furore if he’d been watching womens football and made the comment tbh.

The magnificent bastard has nothing to apologise for and should tell them to stick their job up their Jacksy.
The women’s Euros summed up women’s football for me.
Zero skill, zero entertainment and zero interest outside of England.
The standard was laughable at best and it was perfectly summed up when the “ Lionesses “ had to return to their day jobs after it was done and dusted.
They even wheeled them out at the Etihad last week to remind us of their “ achievement “.
Not for me I’m afraid.
Agreed, no interest in it at all.

I blame Sky for all of this they have a fekn cheek owned by an old decrepit mysogonist Mr Burns look alike,who has only tried to promote womans football for his own gain putting woman in to report or commentate or analyse mens football is a fucking joke i have never heard anyone of them say anything i didnt know about football allready. they are full of cliches. Souness and Roy Keane i could listen to all day and the late great Sir Walter who ive seen on clips telling his stories i sit in awe of the man but fek me any of the women who won there euros a few weeks ago i wouldnt recognise if they were walking along the PRW naked .
I also sometimes get annoyed by the feeling that it’s kind of being forced however if the woman’s game is to improve then it starts with getting more coverage and interest. Unfortunately the tv companies seem to be going about it all wrong and are creating an atmosphere of contempt by trying to shoehorn it in. Get more fantastic pundits like Shelley Kerr on the tv and you’ll have more people accepting of it.

Women’s football is clearly popular.
It does absolutely nothing for me I have to say.
This, 100 times over, for me.

Burd I work with plays 'soccer' at a decent level, and recently asked if I'd seen one of the Australian women's team games. I said no, no interest and she went off in a tirade about sexism.

I said you may as well add racism to that then too, cause I won't watch the A-League either.
Nor the Chinese league, any Asian football etc...

At EPL level it is a man's game. Try putting any female footballer in there and see what happens. Personally I wouldn't want to see it happen.

they are part of the "real" problem though. Did you read the thread? "get back in the kitchen" etc.

Souness was accused wrongly of sexism and then everyone piled on with... blatant sexism.

Have a think about it mate.
There were many, many more men, and women, who simply pointed out that Sourness's comments were being deliberately mistrued - like you just did by claiming "everyone piled on with...blatant sexism"

Soon if you get a question to a pundit he'll have to have his answer vetted by pc script writers in the background sort of similar to a VAR for phrases one might say.
"Graham sorry we have to stop you there VAR has picked up it's a man's game and the pc brigade are playing it back and checking the offendimeter."
"The decision is in sorry you're offside for severely offending 0.001% of viewer's the correct statement would be it a man's/ woman's game, or it's an all inclusive game."

exactly and it matters not a jot to the women's game. You don't have to pretend anything, you can think it's shit, many do, but when the same things come up time after time, it's boring and it comes across as blokes who didn't make it far in the men's game, being upset that women can have their day in the sun too.
That’s a bit of a reach.

Maybe they just think it’s shit. There doesn’t have to be any great reason behind it.

How dare you?

47 seconds in is a belter

Ed comes up trumps with yet another vid.

That, in essence, is why it is precisely called ‘Women’s football’.

It’s very similar in nature to the Star Wars movies made since 2015 with the old characters in them. It looks like Star Wars. It sounds like Star Wars. But it isn’t really Star Wars.

Judging by that clip, you’d struggle to call that football.

Instead we will just have to suck up the equivalent of under-16 level mens football at best bring portrayed as on a par with the mens game, do we call it gaslighting?

It’s a shame because woman’s football is creating its own niche but this political nonsense just turns people off.
Iv nothing against woman's football, that's what it is ,woman's football,not men's .

My first wife was a coach in a mainly boys team which had one girl player ,under 10s so no problems.' if' she asked me I'd give her my opinion on certain things,if not,I'd let her get on with it .

It's getting crazy now,the woman want to be recognised,so it's woman's football.
Talksport et all often forget to mention it's a woman's game they are covering,isn't that a bit misleading?Also surely the women wouldn't want to be lumped in with the men? I thought this was pushing women's football not football in general?
We all know what GS meant ,even some woman are backing him .

They don't seem to realise with this constant stream of ' diversity ' stuff they are putting people off watching a game of woman's football.Any chance we could just watch a game if we wish without being told of how many non whites are playing or turning the team into a modern day suffergette FC

This world is really tiring now. Faux outrage, virtue signalling, permanently offended people, offended by everything, looking to be offended. Standing in judgement of other people but refusing to acknowledge their own shortcomings.

So much time and energy wasted when they could be doing something to actually improve the world, starting with themselves.

I think he just had to clarify what he meant by saying “we’ve got our football back” some may have thought he meant back from women. He’s clarified he meant from refs stoping the game for silly fouls. Now he’s done that lets just move on, no need for the cancel culture. Some of these threads become totally toxic. The sport has a place for everyone and anyone.

Burd I work with plays 'soccer' at a decent level, and recently asked if I'd seen one of the Australian women's team games. I said no, no interest and she went off in a tirade about sexism.

I said you may as well add racism to that then too, cause I won't watch the A-League either.
Tell her if she played beach volleyball you'd watch her!!

I also sometimes get annoyed by the feeling that it’s kind of being forced however if the woman’s game is to improve then it starts with getting more coverage and interest. Unfortunately the tv companies seem to be going about it all wrong and are creating an atmosphere of contempt by trying to shoehorn it in. Get more fantastic pundits like Shelley Kerr on the tv and you’ll have more people accepting of it.
Kerr isnt bad to be fair and not only because she does Rangers tv . Iam all for women playing football iam not that precious thinking its only for men but they and i mean Sky jump on any bandwagon BLM for instance or The Labour Party the late 90s just for monetary gain they dont give a %^*& .

The world we live in is a fucking disgrace with people walking on egg shells incase these snow flakes take offence.

It's a figure of speech ffs and what has the world come to. The fannies who are so easily offended, when it suits them, are obviously always politically correct in their figure of speech.

Unbelievable.

Reactions: jtc

I've mentioned before on here that media people wanted Real Madrid's actual team sanctioned because they didn't have a woman's team.

The force feeding of a vastly inferior product, coupled with the kind of attitude being displayed over GS comments, will do way more harm than good.

Goodwill is dwindling.

Reactions: jtc
That’s a bit of a reach.

Maybe they just think it’s shit. There doesn’t have to be any great reason behind it.

you're correct, in the hours since I left the board I've reflected and the 14 pages on the subject are actual amusing. Sorry.

I also popped into the Rangers women thread after hearing of their 8-0 win and guess what? a poster was being told to leave cos of his amusing banter.

I get it now.

All absolute nonsense of course.
Now, I've never watched more than 5 minutes of women's football but can I ask those who desperately feel the need to point out how poor it is, do they comment on the women's 100 metres saying, compared to Usain Bolt they're rubbish or why is Jessica Ennis getting publicity Daley Thomson would probably still beat her. Etc etc

All absolute nonsense of course.
Now, I've never watched more than 5 minutes of women's football but can I ask those who desperately feel the need to point out how poor it is, do they comment on the women's 100 metres saying, compared to Usain Bolt they're rubbish or why is Jessica Ennis getting publicity Daley Thomson would probably still beat her. Etc etc
That's the thing. I can watch womens golf, tennis, athletics, swimming etc because the standard is very good. But when it comes to football it just seems so amateurish and the standard is so poor.

That's the thing. I can watch womens golf, tennis, athletics, swimming etc because the standard is very good. But when it comes to football it just seems so amateurish and the standard is so poor.
I certainly don't disagree. It's just the endless droning on repeating the same thing about the quality.

I suppose in the case of tennis, swimming and athletics at least the argument could be that they have had near or similar profiles and exposures to the men's and that has led to increases in quality, all be it not as good due to the physical differences.
It should eventually that womens football should improve to a more watchable level but will take many many years.

Made a "man's game" comment at the end of the Chelsea game there. Twitter currently in meltdown because his fellow pundit was some female footballer. It's a well known (and factual) turn of phrase ffs, honestly what the f*ck is it with these people?!

Sadly wouldn't be surprised if Sky get rid now.
I doubt it will put Souness up nor down, one bit.

I certainly don't disagree. It's just the endless droning on repeating the same thing about the quality.

I suppose in the case of tennis, swimming and athletics at least the argument could be that they have had near or similar profiles and exposures to the men's and that has led to increases in quality, all be it not as good due to the physical differences.
It should eventually that womens football should improve to a more watchable level but will take many many years.
They should start by shortening the goalposts. Some of the goals the goalkeepers concede due to their lack of height are embarrassing.

I appreciate the outfield play and some of the individual skills have come on in leaps and bounds. Some of it pretty impressive.
HOWEVER, the standard of goalkeeping is absolute shite, so bad it renders the whole fecking exercise pointless. Watch a game, any game, concentrate on the keepers....they are nowhere near the ball when it goes past them.
Ok,you dont get many 6'6" women...so make the goals smaller, give them a chance.....or let them play men in goals :)):)):)):)):))

They are trying to big up their Euro win and make their game exciting, by metioning it against anything that happens in mens football.

Souness is correct it is a mans game = physical, tough , exciting, no quarter given.

None of the above are commom with womens football, which is tame in comparison, no physical or raw challenges that get crowds excited.

Watched one game - never again

To suggest Souness should be in awe of a "Lioness" who was sitting beside him and I have personally never heard of was embarrassing.

They won a competition that nobody really bothers about and are using it as a political tool, sounding like they need to be mentioned in every game thats televised.

There is no genuine comparison between male and female footballers - like night and day.

Legends in their own living room.

They are trying to big up their Euro win and make their game exciting, by metioning it against anything that happens in mens football.

Souness is correct it is a mans game = physical, tough , exciting, no quarter given.

None of the above are commom with womens football, which is tame in comparison, no physical or raw challenges that get crowds excited.

Watched one game - never again

To suggest Souness should be in awe of a "Lioness" who was sitting beside him and I have personally never heard of was embarrassing.

They won a competition that nobody really bothers about and are using it as a political tool, sounding like they need to be mentioned in every game thats televised.

There is no genuine comparison between male and female footballers - like night and day.

Legends in their own living room.
Legends in their and others own minds.

But the women won't get any taller.

If the game progresses, they'll attract more women to the sport and they'll have a bigger bank of players to choose from, including the big lanky lasses we took the piss out of at school.

and if not, aye, shrink the goals.

Back