Older bears help?

joefraser

When I was younger, I can remember some lines of a song my mum used to sing to me. It went something like:
Come away the Rangers, never ( dinae?) be afraid, we'll show the dirty Celtic how the game is played.

That's all I can remember, can anyone; 1/ remember it,( including any more words )? 2/ know if it was a Rangers song or just a generic footie song sung by a lot of clubs with just a few word changes?
Thanks for any help

Edited to add , thought this was going in the lounge, so if it should be there can admin move it ta>

Last edited:
I don't recall that line from Play the Game, but the chorus was

Play play play the game
You're the blue and white
Play play play the game
Play with all your might
Get the ball into the goal
We will shout "Hooray"
"The Rangers are the greatest team
That we have got today"

I don't recall that line from Play the Game, but the chorus was

Play play play the game
You're the blue and white
Play play play the game
Play with all your might
Get the ball into the goal
We will shout "Hooray"
"The Rangers are the greatest team
That we have got today"
That's the one.

come away the Rangers
never be afraid
let's all show the Celtic
how the game is played
get the ball into the goal
and we will shout hurray
the Rangers are the greatest
team that we have got today

Here's a link to an Apple Music page with a "preview" of the song. It was released on vinyl, as a "45" (one song on each side). The other side was The Rangers Song (There's not a team.....Follow Follow). There's also a link to a preview of that one.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/artist/buddy-logan/152719715

Buddy Logan was Jimmy Logan's brother. And their sister, Annabelle, later gained fame as Annie Ross....

Last edited:
The first Rangers record I remember in my house was that single with The Rangers Song and Play the Game.

Still think The Rangers Song is what should be played on the tannoy just before the teams come out.
I was given that single for my birthday, I'd have been about 6 or thereabouts. My Mum got sick of me playing it. I haven't heard it in many years but, when the 2nd poster mentioned the song title, I immediately remembered the chorus.

The same thought struck me. My heart is still a teenager, but other parts of me are showing their age. As the saying goes: you know a man's getting old when every part of him, except one, gets a bit stiffer.

Use our chairman as your inspiration. He showed yesterday he is no longer a soft touch :p

When I was younger, I can remember some lines of a song my mum used to sing to me. It went something like:
Come away the Rangers, never ( dinae?) be afraid, we'll show the dirty Celtic how the game is played.

That's all I can remember, can anyone; 1/ remember it,( including any more words )? 2/ know if it was a Rangers song or just a generic footie song sung by a lot of clubs with just a few word changes?
Thanks for any help

Edited to add , thought this was going in the lounge, so if it should be there can admin move it ta>
Come away the Rangers never be afraid
Show the dirty Celtic how the game is played
The balls in the centre, the balls in the net
And wee Jimmy Johnstones lying in the wet.

The same thought struck me. My heart is still a teenager, but other parts of me are showing their age. As the saying goes: you know a man's getting old when every part of him, except one, gets a bit stiffer.
Sorry about that, thing is I'm no nipper at 59, so I sort of had to ask it that way. Like you, I still feel like I did as a teenager in the seventies, 'til I look in the mirror.

Jeezo! I wish young Bears would stop
reminding us auld yins how old we are.:p

Really? Im an older bear but the things Ive seen and done, the friends Ive had and the memories Ive got could never be replaced. Its sad.....that's true, but life moves on. Times change. People die. Friends leave, memories fade, but feelings last forever.

Come away the Rangers never be afraid
Show the dirty Celtic how the game is played
The balls in the centre, the balls in the net
And wee Jimmy Johnstones lying in the wet.

Nearly right but the last line should be “ poor old Frank Haffey is lying in the wet”

Can remember my grandpa singing to me "poor Frank Haffey"s lying in the wet."

Back