Zidane v Bale

True. But whilst every player is attempting an accuracy commensurate with their respective abilities there is nonetheless always an element of chance again in proportion to their respective abilities.
Othérwise they would always hit what they aimed at......and of course they don't. That is why even Messi can put one over the bar or past the post.

Absolutely, but I’d say there’s a huge difference between not quite executing what you intended and a hit and hope.

When Messi puts one in the top corner, you know that’s exactly where he intended to put it. It wasn’t just an aimless punt at goal, as has been suggested.

Absolutely, but I’d say there’s a huge difference between not quite executing what you intended and a hit and hope.

When Messi puts one in the top corner, you know that’s exactly where he intended to put it. It wasn’t just an aimless punt at goal, as has been suggested.
Top players don't hit and hope. If there is no hope they don't hit, and instead consider a different option.

Reactions: Mez
That is total jobby. A Sunday league player can place a shot with a certain degree of certainty, the idea that the best players in the world are just hitting it in the right direction but with no accuracy is utterly ludicrous.

No-one suggested no accuracy.

Jesus!! This goal is getting over analysed. Just congratulate the guy on scoring a magnificent goal that we all enjoyed hitting the back of the net. It was just simply a brilliant goal!!!

Zidane had too wait what felt like an eternity for ball to come down, and technically pretty much nailed the strike down so it looked fantastic, as it was.

Bale had to readjust, get up, get power into shot from a reasonable distance. It looked ungainly, but he struck it cleanly and done what he intended.

Bale edges it for me.

For me Bale takes that. Both goals incredible though.

Between Bale and Ronaldo with the overhead kicks that is a tough one, I think Ronaldo edges it because of the height he got, do Real have a bicycle kick coach this season?

Still stand by the fact that there's more luck involved with overhead kicks than with most volleys.

I just want UEFA to hand the trophy to Madrid. Their refs are lined up to hand them the trophy and Ramos is a cheating bastard. Throughout the game they dived and the ref gave them everything.
Minutes silence at the next Liverpool game as a protest?

Bale for me.

Zizou’s was a beautiful goal but he had time and was under no pressure from his opponents.

Bales was just ridiculous.

Zidanes was more elegant and based on a balance of finesse and power. Similar to what defined him as a player.

Bale is an ugly, ungainly big creature and his overhead - whilst a stunner - was all limbs and monkey like actions to connect with it.
What absolute bollocks. Of course Zidane’s has more finesse. It’s a peach of a volley where he had time for it to drop with the defenders standing off him.
Comparing Bales unfavourably based on that criteria is pretty pathetic tbh.

Bale's is better. The athleticism and perfect timing required to even connect cleanly with a crossed ball with an overhead kick is unreal, to make an unsavable shot out of it is world class.

Still stand by the fact that there's more luck involved with overhead kicks than with most volleys.

Watch it again, after Bale connects with the ball you can see him look exactly where the ball ends up. He knew where it was going before it hits the net.

Zidane had all the time in the world to line his shot up, with the defenders sitting off him. Some hit but the conditions were perfect for him.

Bales was just unreal. No bad for a guy who can't get a start :D
The fact it's in the air for so long is what makes it such a great goal. It's so easy to misjudge them.

Having said that, what Bale did wasn't exactly easy either.

I'm sitting on the fence for this one.

I just want UEFA to hand the trophy to Madrid. Their refs are lined up to hand them the trophy and Ramos is a cheating bastard. Throughout the game they dived and the ref gave them everything.

Your team are pish without Salah.

Thoroughly enjoyed watching them roll over to get their belly rubbed.

How is zidanes better?

I loved that goal, one of my favourites, but FFS, bale is upside down and in mid air lol

His goal tonight is one of the greatest of all time, easily the best goal on a European cup final ever.
Pause the screen when the pass from Carlos goes about 40 foot in the air to Zidane.

Tell me another player in history that would turn that into a goal. It’s not even a chance. It’s utterly ridiculous he managed to connect and actually score from that. Bale’s is definitely up there but ZZ’s goal is one of the greatest ever scored.

Bale’s last night was absolutely fantastic but Zidane’s at Hampden is on a different level.

Hope someone else has already mentioned it but taking the level of the game out of it, Trevor Sinclair’s for QPR is up there with the best

If im up the pitches having a kick about i reckon ive more chance of connecting with an over head kick and aiming it goalwards than plucking a ball out the air from 40-50ft on my bad foot and putting it more or less top bin. This is why zidanes is better.

Not many players past or present that has that level of technique in their game/ “weak foot”.

Back