Ben Woodburn

This move would have no bearing on us bringing in Harry Wilson or Brandon Barker.

Woodburn's a striker. Wilson and Barker are wide men.

If it affects us bringing in anyone it will be Dom Solanke because I doubt we'll take 2 strikers on loan from Liverpool.

If we're trying to get Woodburn it suggests to me Liverpool want to loan Solanke to a middle to lower EPL team like Chelsea did with Tammy Abraham last season.

Can remember his debut for Wales when he came on against Austria and scored a beuty, He was brilliant that game.

Would be a really good signing if we manage to get him.

This move would have no bearing on us bringing in Harry Wilson or Brandon Barker.

If it affects us bringing in anyone it will be Dom Solanke because I doubt we'll take 2 strikers on loan from Liverpool.

If we're trying to get Woodburn it suggests to me Liverpool want to loan Solanke to a middle to lower EPL team like Chelsea did with Tammy Abraham last season.

Woodburn is a right footed winger.

Wilson is a left footed winger.

He can play attacking midfield, on the wing and as a forward but I would not compare him to Solanke who is an all out striker

My mate is a season ticket holeer at Liverpool. Woodburn was the first name he mentioned when Gerrard was linked with us.

On a separate note, yesterday he said Flanagan would be a star for us . Said he is pacy, loves a tackle and will be playing out his skin to get back to the premiership . Only thing that worries me is he will be constantly getting wound up by opposition players and fans and we could be looking at a Ryan Jack scenario again with red cards .

The official language in many African countries is English
Certainly many more than European countries which tend to have their own language
In terms of attitude it would be worth you reading the Lukaku blog before making such sweeping generalisations
Plenty Africans have succeded in Europe showing great attitudes

I stand by my original post - I think it's generally harder for non-Europeans to settle in Britain than Europeans, due to cultural differences, etc.
There will of course be exceptions.
To twist that into me being ignorant or racist is just silly.

Last edited:
As much as I can appreciate the lad is a top prospect he’s only 18.

Not looking for a debate on this as my opinion is yes the loan market should be used but only to improve the first team.

It’s highly unlikely this lad will start every week which makes me think we’d be as well using the likes of Atakayi or Middleton or another of our promising prospects for the limited game time he will see.
I think he would start most weeks.

I would rather Woodburn over the Roma boy. A young Nigerian on loan doesn't fill me with confidence.

That would only make sense if the Roma boy was a left winger like Woodburn though.

IMHO Woodburn seems more like an option to Barker. A quick check on the current list (as of now):

Left wing / mdifield - Murphy, Barker (?), Arfield, Dorrans, Middleton, Beerman, Morelos, John, Forrester
Right wing / midfield - Candeias, Murphy, Atakayi, Barker (?), Beerman, Morelos, Docherty, Dorrans, Forrester

Glad someone has got it :D.

Sometimes think the only difference people see in players is forward or defender.

When did you see him play last season, he only made 2 appearances for Liverpool, once in the League, the other in the League cup, he's very highly rated by Liverpool, he's made 11 appearances in total for the first team, mainly as a sub and is being handled correctly by Liverpool in his progression, a lot of good judges in the game regard him as a future top player for club and country and to state that he has stagnated is a nonsense. If we can get him for a season on loan it will be a great bit of business for both clubs.

I saw him twice. Once for the under 19s in the UEFA Youth League and another time for the under 23s. He was anonymous. Not criticising his talent, just that academy football has a habit of holding progressive talents back and if he comes to us we shouldn't expect miracles immediately. I want him to come but don't want people expecting some kind of boy genius from the off. So stop weeping, I'm just giving an opinion.

So upfront;

Morelos, Windass, Black Gazelle and Woodburn?

If that's it, then there's a significant risk.

We still need a game-changing midfielder and a game-changing striker and with £5m left in the kitty, that should be possible.

He has played as the lone striker or in the hole behind the main striker when I've seen him play. Never seen him play wide but that is not to say he hasn't. He is certainly versatile enough to play several positions. A move here is just what he needs imho.

Hope so, expect the anti loan squad to be out in force tho!
I'm not anti-loan myself, and I fully accept that next season is the only one that truly matters, but I do want this season to also be part of the building for the future.
If we had the chance to buy the loaned players, that would cover it.

Seems like he would be capable of playing anywhere across the front 3 if he came here.

Starting to sound like he could be a decent piece of business & help add some real depth to our attacking options.

I saw him twice. Once for the under 19s in the UEFA Youth League and another time for the under 23s. He was anonymous. Not criticising his talent, just that academy football has a habit of holding progressive talents back and if he comes to us we shouldn't expect miracles immediately. I want him to come but don't want people expecting some kind of boy genius from the off. So stop weeping, I'm just giving an opinion.
You have figured he is dire and stagnated from 2 games last season? Jesus christ, I love this place!

You have figured he is dire and stagnated from 2 games last season? Jesus christ, I love this place!
Grow up and learn to read. I said he had 2 dire games and having seen him several times before that my view was that academy football was beginning to stagnate him. That is not a criticism of him just an observation and a fear that people migh expect too much too soon based purely on his reputation. If you had bothered to read my other comments I said I'd like him to come here and feel this move would be ideal for him. It is an opinion that is all so dry your eyes.

Not looking for a debate on this as my opinion is yes the loan market should be used but only to improve the first team.

It’s highly unlikely this lad will start every week which makes me think we’d be as well using the likes of Atakayi or Middleton or another of our promising prospects for the limited game time he will see.
Totally agree with the above.

The kid's a full international and on the fringes of the Liverpool first team. If he signs he's signing to play at least semi regularly.

Can't remember us being linked with a young player as highly rated as this for a long time.

I'll be delighted if we get this over the line.
Feels like Cummings replacement.

Behave?

You've given a list of why you'd sign a British player over a Nigerian without even taking into account actual footballing ability.

We should be looking to sign the best players we can, not those who have heard more about Rangers.
I live within 10 miles of Ibrox, which clearly makes me more qualified to play for Rangers than someone from Africa.
It’s clear that our policy of signing actual football players is just wrong, get with the program Chief.

Totally agree and this debate is not a xenophobic one, it's a footballing one.
Add to that list the language barrier and cultural differences and it can take a lot longer for non-European players to settle.
I would say players from Africa and South America are inherently a bigger gamble because of these factors.
No problem there English is the main language in Nigeria he may not know Glaswegian but I'm sure he will pick it up pretty quickly lol

He's not mate.

He's a forward. He can play right and left midfield but he's a forward.
My take on it is mate -

In a 4-3-3 he’d play LF
In a 4-4-2 he’d play LW
In a 4-2-3-1 he’d play LW
In a 3-4-2-1 he’d play LF

He is a top top prospect. My preference would be Wilson as I believe he’s a bit ahead in development but Woodburn would be an excellent loan signing

He’s a talent - has the chance to go right to the top , would be great to get him on loan even for a year.

Genuinely excited about this boy.

When Liverpool fans refer to him as the next Coutinho and Wales fans saying he's the next Bale ( I know I know ) then there's much to be excited about.

Did I mention I like his name?

Back