Favourite ever 'random' game

EKBB

Official Ticketer
Something a bit different as these threads always through up the same answers. Criteria is no European, Old Firm, trophy winning games or semi finals. What one do you look back on most fondly?

I'd possibly go for the 2-1 at tynecastle in 2005. Late drama, cracking atmosphere and a massive result in the title race.

For ''random'' There was a Blackburn game live on terrestrial TV in the first half of the 90s. Was like 4-2 at half time but I really don't remember much else about it but was fairly uncommon at the time to be live on TV. must have been FA cup, it was a midweek fixture.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7162338.stm

We beat Hibs 2-1 but some of the football we were playing was excellent.

My memories probably aren't great because it was also when I started drinking. It seemed like the rest of the world was going for 4-3-3 or a 4-5-1 and we'd been stuck with a 4-4-2 for as long as I remembered.

Burke, Cousin and Naismith looked like it'd be an outstanding front three for years to come.

Ferguson, Hemdani and Thomson behind them seemed to have a bit of everything as well.

Something a bit different as these threads always through up the same answers. Criteria is no European, Old Firm, trophy winning games or semi finals. What one do you look back on most fondly?

I'd possibly go for the 2-1 at tynecastle in 2005. Late drama, cracking atmosphere and a massive result in the title race.
As i was reading your first paragraph, that was the first game that game to my mind too.

Another one i would say would be the Hibs game at Ibrox around Christmas under Warburton.

Rangers 4-2 Hibs, December 2015. Atmosphere was fucking mental in the West Enclosure that day. Also loved pumping Hibs 6-2 in their own back garden for Mark Warburton's first game as Rangers Manager taking us on to have a fabulous season.

Valetta (h). First time in the Govan stand as a young boy, goals galore, Chris Woods missed a penalty.

DGAF that it's a Euro game, its random enough.

A 3-3 epic at Easter Road towards the end of the 2006/7 season. Proper away day. Sun out, roasting hot, Rangers and bouncing and a rare Saturday 3pm game to boot - which adds to the randomness.

Every goal was a peach too.

Was at a cracking 3-2 win over Hearts at Ibrox a 88 or 89 maybe. One of those winter games where it's dark and the floodlights are on early. Will need to look up th exact date and who scored.

Living in deepest, darkest Ayrshire and not getting much of a chance to see Rangers other than on the television, watching them scud Killie 8-1 at Rugby Park was delightful

Rangers 4-2 Hibs, December 2015. Atmosphere was fucking mental in the West Enclosure that day. Also loved pumping Hibs 6-2 in their own back garden for Mark Warburton's first game as Rangers Manager taking us on to have a fabulous season.
Was just after Christmas..maybe even boxing day?....my 8 year old daughter was in awe at the atmosphere...she was hyper for days after that..sure that was round about time of Waghorns on fire...

Rangers 4 Dundee hibs 1, Scottish cup final replay on the Tuesday night. Davie Cooper was electric.

Hamish McAlpine saved an Ian Redford penalty in the Saturday final.

Went wae my Dad to both games :D

Edit: Just reread the OP. Ooops. Still some game but. :oops:

Spain v Yugoslavia Euro 2000 Brugge, 4-3 I was in Spanish end, 2 friends in Yigo end, unfurled giant Rangers flag, all he'll kicks off, our red white blue is Croatian, Yugoslavia is blue white red, thus flag gets turned upside down and peace is restored. On tram on way back to Brugge get a photo with old boy who was legendary Auxerre manager with said Rangers flag. ps Spain 3 2 down in 93 minute of 4 mins injury time and win 4 3 bonkers.

Scottish Cup Semi Final, 1976. We beat Motherwell 3-2 after being 2-0 down at half time. Two late goals from DJ.

Brazil 1970 it was not.

Last edited:
Beating Hibs 3-0 at Easter Road in August 2010, Kenny Miller hatrick. Vladmir Weiss came off the bench and set up all 3.

Cracking day out in the sun and a brilliant atmosphere. Jelavic was about to sign and we knew that it was going to be a good season (which it was).

Colin Stein's 2nd game for us, home debut. Scored a hat trick in a 6-1 win against his previous club hivs.

5-2 win at Hearts in 1987. Davie Cooper's Maradona/Messi style goal.

That was one of the first games where I really felt we finally had a good team that was going to win the title, after years when a kid of being used to us being mostly guff in the league.

A 3-3 epic at Easter Road towards the end of the 2006/7 season. Proper away day. Sun out, roasting hot, Rangers and bouncing and a rare Saturday 3pm game to boot - which adds to the randomness.

Every goal was a peach too.
Was that not an early kick off?
Seem to remember watching it at about 7am in America.

Random game ?

Has to be Arsenal winning the league at Anfield on the last game of the season, they had to win by two goals to win the league.

IIRC, it was the first league game to be shown live on TV UK wide.

Reactions: _72
Aug 1988 - at Hamilton to see what turned out to be the first game of the 9-in-a-row era. What a goal from Gary Stevens on his debut.

Summer of 1989 - Mo Johnston’s first game in a friendly for Johnny Martin’s testimonial at Broomfield in my home town of Airdrie. He didn’t score that day, but fellow new signing Trevor Steven did score and looked like we had got a good un.

First games of the new season, friendly or competitive, are always exciting as you get to see the new players and everyone is optimistic about the season ahead.

Inter Milan vs Udinese in 1993 on a school ski trip. Inter have been my other team ever since.

Not sure if European games really count as random but the atmosphere for the Werder Bremen game at Ibrox on the way to Manchester was as good as I've ever heard it.

An early 1980's 'nothing' game at Ibrox against Raith Rovers.

We won 8-2 and Ian Redford scored four but what was memorable was an absolute master class performance from Davie Cooper which rightly earned a standing ovation.

3-0 away to Dundee United, 15th December 2009.

The infamous rearranged fixture. Cracking goals, played them off the park, came during that month where wee battered everyone and the win put us back top of the league.

Our penultimate home game of 2002/03 was against Kilmarnock, atmosphere was absolutely electric and even that grumpy old shit Jim Jeffries applauded the atmosphere and how good Rangers were that day. 4-0 with a couple of goals from Mols, fantastic game.

League cup game, 0-2 Rangers at Pittodrie 2004. Ricksen and Thomson scored.

Watched it with my granda in Erskine, it was the game that got me hooked on Rangers.

1982 LC Section v Airdrie 3-1 at Ibrox.

My second visit to Ibrox and the first time I witnessed a home win.

We had moved to England at the end of the previous year.

First time i’d seen the new pinstripe kit.

probably the 2-0 sheep game with souness and mccoist scoring, the highlight being bandy legs going mental at both goals

There's been so many.

Brechin away in the challenge cup. Our first game back after all attempts to kill us failed.

We were pish but won eventually, there was the hedge, it rained a bit.

Kyle Hutton was probably our best player on the day and the match report on BBC still to this day begins with utter pish "the new Rangers"

How's that for random?

Was that not an early kick off?
Seem to remember watching it at about 7am in America.

Nah definetely a 3pm. Remember getting the bus from George Square around lunchtime. The mhanks were getting the championship trophy the following day on TV so our game stayed at 3pm on the Saturday.

It was also our 3rd visit to Hibs that season which was likely a factor too given the tv contracts - we'd been beaten 1-2 in the September when Sebo(!) scored and beat them 2-1 (I think) in the March with a Charlie Adam double. Watched the latter game in a sports bar in London as we couldn't find the White Bear. Turns out the pub came to us as there had been a power cut and the top floor was bouncing with bears :D

I remember a lot of random shite :eek:

Ibrox under the floodlights.

Rushed from the restaurant with my mates to get there in time for KO.

Day down as simply the best started. Another Euro night for the Teddy Bears.

Maratimo at Ibrox.

We needed to win. It went to penalties.

These penalties were the loudest I've ever heard Ibrox since the Battle of Britain.

Deafening. We WERE the twelfth man that night.

Edit. Just re read the OP. I'm a Norbert. Apologies.

I did enjoy Killie 0 Rangers 5.

Killie were lucky to get nil. We were brilliant. Only one up going on 6 at half time but 4 in second half. McCann excellent, Wallace hattrick.

6-1 win at east end park v Dunfermline October 1974. Parlane scored five as Rangers made a great start to the season
and ended up winning the league for the first time in 9 years !!!!

Back