Gerrard talks about Jon Flanagan

Bonnyloyal

Gerrard has known Flanagan and his family since the full-back was a teenager in the Liverpool academy system. Armed with that long-term knowledge, the former England captain felt well placed to assess whether he merited a second chance in Glasgow. The decision was swiftly reached with Flanagan's acquisition on a two-year contract.

Gerrard accepts that some Ibrox season-ticket holders will be less certain. He gets why there is a debate. But he has every faith in Flanagan proving worthy of the opportunity now in front of him.

'I've got an advantage to many other people in that I know the character and the values of the family, who I know very well,' said Gerrard, speaking at the team hotel in Spain as Rangers continued their pre-season training camp.

4D7F5C7900000578-0-Flanagan_broke_into_the_Liverpool_first_team_but_fell_out_of_fav-m-91_1529876614839.jpg

+5
Flanagan broke into the Liverpool first-team but fell out of favour and was eventually released

'I've known them for over a decade. I know this was an isolated incident and a big mistake.

'From my point of view, I was disappointed at the time for him because I knew it wasn't him. Jon has held his hand up and was very remorseful.

'I know he still regrets it to this day. That was the key for me - knowing the kid is going to learn from it and that it won't happen again. That's the confidence I've got in him.

'There are a few doubters and a few people who will judge him on the incident but Jon has to win those fans back over with his performances.

'I have no doubt and every confidence that when these fans see Jon - a lot will already be aware of him and the type of player he is - they will like what they see.

4D96425B00000578-0-image-m-86_1529876239961.jpg

+5
Gerrard knows Flanagan well, with the pair having played together when at Liverpool

'For me, there are a lot of things Rangers fans want to see in a defender. They want to know if you're a winner, will run through a wall for them, empty the tank and give every bit of blood, sweat and tears for them.

'I can guarantee Jon will do that and I've got every confidence he can win them over because he's exactly what this squad needs if you look at the player's strengths.' Flanagan's emergence into the Liverpool first team under Brendan Rodgers brought the additional reward of a senior England cap in 2014.

Successive knee injuries then stalled his progress, with the player farmed out on loan to Burnley and Bolton before being released earlier this summer.

Gerrard's show of belief can, he hopes, now be the cue for Flanagan to recapture past form at Ibrox.

4D9640D000000578-0-image-a-87_1529876259774.jpg

+5
Gerrard insists that Flanagan must focus and win over those concerned about his arrival

'I've had a conversation with Jon and told him he needs to get back to that level,' added the 38-year-old. 'It's in there, he's capable. He's had a frustrating couple of years on the pitch and the issue he had off the pitch, which he regrets immensely.

'He needs to get back to focusing on his football, his form and getting his career back on track. He's very keen to do that.' Flanagan brings a more robust profile to Rangers' full-back options when compared with the front-foot style of both James Tavernier and Declan John.

'He'll come and fight for both the right and left-back positions,' continued Gerrard. 'We had to make sure there's quality in those areas to cover.

'I was aware of him when he was at the Liverpool academy and Brendan Rodgers moved him up very quickly because of his performances and consistency.

4D871BF200000578-0-Gerrard_has_brought_in_another_player_with_Liverpool_connections-m-92_1529876777412.jpg

+5
Gerrard has brought in another player with Liverpool connections in Ovie Ejaria, who is on loan

'He was around the first team for a couple of years while I was there, so I've worked with Jon very closely and I know the character, I know the boy.

'If you look at our two attacking full-backs, they are very good at what they do but in certain games we'll need to go a different way.

'We can't just attack and go gung-ho against every single team. Sometimes we'll need to stiffen it up and go a bit safer and Jon gives us that option.

'I know he's a winner and experienced in terms of playing in front of demanding crowds and atmospheres, so it was a no-brainer on a free transfer.' Flanagan has not been the only former Liverpool colleague to link up with Gerrard in Spain this week.

Young midfielder Ovie Ejaria joined training last midweek having agreed a season-long loan from the Anfield club.

'It's been good Ovie has now joined us,' said Gerrard. 'He's an exciting player, very skilful. He'll have the crowd on the edge of their seats and fits the profile that we were looking for in the midfield area.

'He's six foot two, he's rangy, leggy. He can win balls back and also drive at defences and make things happen.

'He gives us that nice blend in midfield and something different to what's been here before.

'I'm delighted to have him in for the year on loan. Liverpool were very helpful there.' The Ibrox squad will remain at their base near Malaga until Wednesday before returning to Glasgow ahead of a first summer friendly against Bury a week on Friday.

'It's been an excellent first week in Spain,' said Gerrard. 'The squad are in a good place and I'm delighted with the application and effort that the lads have given.

'It's been tough for them physically and mentally to do the work we've asked them to do in the heat and conditions but we've had zero complaints and the lads have committed to it.

'In terms of where we are physically, I'm really pleased and also the messages are starting to drop.'

Interesting comments...

“Gerrard said: “If you look at our two attacking full-backs they are very good at what they do, but in certain games we’ll need to go a different way.

DEAL TIME Rangers could make their EIGHTH signing of the summer in next 24 hours
“We can’t just attack and go gung-ho against every single team. Sometimes we’ll need to stiffen it up and go a bit safer, and Jon gives us that option.

He’s well aware of why I’ve brought him in. Some of the challenges I’ll be giving to him will be different. He hasn’t come in to fight for Tavernier’s place or Declan John’s.

“Flanagan has come in to be an important squad member and do the job I ask him to do.

We really need to bond as a support. My feelings on the signing of JF, is I would not have signed him because of his shady past. Now he has signed I am 100% behind the lad. His bird has forgiven him, so now he is a Rangers player I am supporting him and we all should

There we go. The gaffer has had his say and has explained his decision.

Let that be the end of it now.

Some might still not agree, that’s fine.

Some might be in full agreement, that’s also fine.

Some might even be on the fence, again, that’s fine.

What we need though, is for EVERYONE to be pulling on one direction. There’s a big shiny 55 waiting for us at the destination if we do so. The gaffer has made the decision, so let’s trust it regardless of our own opinion on it.

As for Flanagan, time to show us what you’re made of son.

LET’S GO!

I saw this lad when he emerged and he impressed.
Things have happened since to undermine all of that.
He has another chance to emerge.
I will be supporting him all of the way, and in that, I hope everything good that can happen for the lad and those around him happens.
What else?

Gerrard has known Flanagan and his family since the full-back was a teenager in the Liverpool academy system. Armed with that long-term knowledge, the former England captain felt well placed to assess whether he merited a second chance in Glasgow. The decision was swiftly reached with Flanagan's acquisition on a two-year contract.

Gerrard accepts that some Ibrox season-ticket holders will be less certain. He gets why there is a debate. But he has every faith in Flanagan proving worthy of the opportunity now in front of him.

'I've got an advantage to many other people in that I know the character and the values of the family, who I know very well,' said Gerrard, speaking at the team hotel in Spain as Rangers continued their pre-season training camp.

4D7F5C7900000578-0-Flanagan_broke_into_the_Liverpool_first_team_but_fell_out_of_fav-m-91_1529876614839.jpg

+5
Flanagan broke into the Liverpool first-team but fell out of favour and was eventually released

'I've known them for over a decade. I know this was an isolated incident and a big mistake.

'From my point of view, I was disappointed at the time for him because I knew it wasn't him. Jon has held his hand up and was very remorseful.

'I know he still regrets it to this day. That was the key for me - knowing the kid is going to learn from it and that it won't happen again. That's the confidence I've got in him.

'There are a few doubters and a few people who will judge him on the incident but Jon has to win those fans back over with his performances.

'I have no doubt and every confidence that when these fans see Jon - a lot will already be aware of him and the type of player he is - they will like what they see.

4D96425B00000578-0-image-m-86_1529876239961.jpg

+5
Gerrard knows Flanagan well, with the pair having played together when at Liverpool

'For me, there are a lot of things Rangers fans want to see in a defender. They want to know if you're a winner, will run through a wall for them, empty the tank and give every bit of blood, sweat and tears for them.

'I can guarantee Jon will do that and I've got every confidence he can win them over because he's exactly what this squad needs if you look at the player's strengths.' Flanagan's emergence into the Liverpool first team under Brendan Rodgers brought the additional reward of a senior England cap in 2014.

Successive knee injuries then stalled his progress, with the player farmed out on loan to Burnley and Bolton before being released earlier this summer.

Gerrard's show of belief can, he hopes, now be the cue for Flanagan to recapture past form at Ibrox.

4D9640D000000578-0-image-a-87_1529876259774.jpg

+5
Gerrard insists that Flanagan must focus and win over those concerned about his arrival

'I've had a conversation with Jon and told him he needs to get back to that level,' added the 38-year-old. 'It's in there, he's capable. He's had a frustrating couple of years on the pitch and the issue he had off the pitch, which he regrets immensely.

'He needs to get back to focusing on his football, his form and getting his career back on track. He's very keen to do that.' Flanagan brings a more robust profile to Rangers' full-back options when compared with the front-foot style of both James Tavernier and Declan John.

'He'll come and fight for both the right and left-back positions,' continued Gerrard. 'We had to make sure there's quality in those areas to cover.

'I was aware of him when he was at the Liverpool academy and Brendan Rodgers moved him up very quickly because of his performances and consistency.

4D871BF200000578-0-Gerrard_has_brought_in_another_player_with_Liverpool_connections-m-92_1529876777412.jpg

+5
Gerrard has brought in another player with Liverpool connections in Ovie Ejaria, who is on loan

'He was around the first team for a couple of years while I was there, so I've worked with Jon very closely and I know the character, I know the boy.

'If you look at our two attacking full-backs, they are very good at what they do but in certain games we'll need to go a different way.

'We can't just attack and go gung-ho against every single team. Sometimes we'll need to stiffen it up and go a bit safer and Jon gives us that option.

'I know he's a winner and experienced in terms of playing in front of demanding crowds and atmospheres, so it was a no-brainer on a free transfer.' Flanagan has not been the only former Liverpool colleague to link up with Gerrard in Spain this week.

Young midfielder Ovie Ejaria joined training last midweek having agreed a season-long loan from the Anfield club.

'It's been good Ovie has now joined us,' said Gerrard. 'He's an exciting player, very skilful. He'll have the crowd on the edge of their seats and fits the profile that we were looking for in the midfield area.

'He's six foot two, he's rangy, leggy. He can win balls back and also drive at defences and make things happen.

'He gives us that nice blend in midfield and something different to what's been here before.

'I'm delighted to have him in for the year on loan. Liverpool were very helpful there.' The Ibrox squad will remain at their base near Malaga until Wednesday before returning to Glasgow ahead of a first summer friendly against Bury a week on Friday.

'It's been an excellent first week in Spain,' said Gerrard. 'The squad are in a good place and I'm delighted with the application and effort that the lads have given.

'It's been tough for them physically and mentally to do the work we've asked them to do in the heat and conditions but we've had zero complaints and the lads have committed to it.

'In terms of where we are physically, I'm really pleased and also the messages are starting to drop.'

Am I the only one, that every time the manager speaks, gets more and more impressed?
I'm 100% certain that this guy is the real deal.
Choo choo!!!!!

I am very happy to hear SG say this about our full backs, so many on here constantly making excuses for their defensive frailties.
I think if Flannagan wants this he could do very well.
I don't think it's making excuses for them as much as you don't have a true holding midfielder in there with them and you're basically praying they get back otherwise it's a team attacking against 2-3 defenders. They need t oget better defensively but the system made it much worse than it should have been

I've made my feelings clear, previously - JF is a top signing, pending fitness.

Fans favourite in the making.

Cert.

Jon Flanagan loyal.
You don't get to play in a Liverpool team for nearly 30 games that were so close to winning the league and getting a cap for England if your are crap.. The boy will be a few leagues above what we have now at full back if he produces that.. And that is no slight on what we have the now;

It doesn't sit comfortable me but both Flanagan and his abused partner are still together therefore if the victim can forgive then who are we to judge ?
So how did you feel when gazza knocked the living daylights out of Cheryl.. You want him out asap? Because in know not one Rangers fan who did.... This is not supporting the boy, but things happen in life... I'm sure we all know now that there were certain circumstances in what happened and the boy regrets them so much.

So how did you feel when gazza knocked the living daylights out of Cheryl.. You want him out asap? Because in know not one Rangers fan who did.... This is not supporting the boy, but things happen in life... I'm sure we all know now that there were certain circumstances in what happened and the boy regrets them so much.

How did i feel with regards Gazza ? It was wrong,totally.

Pure class by the manager. Professionalism, tact. The entire internet can learn from him.

I’m supporting a second chance for Jon all the way WATP.

Are you now wanting me to make excuses for wife battering ?

Gascoigne was a great footballer but he let himself down when he battered Sheryl.

Do you agree with that?
Of course he did. It was horrible but we supported him at the time... We have to support our new boy. I'm sure it was just a lash out, although not nice, but happens.... Are you going to support him?

I like most on here when this man speaks I listen, for me it goes back to Walter's time at Ibrox, I listened then also, for me at least, there is something in all of the great leaders, they all have it, they enter a room or they speak to a group of people and those people stop and listen to what is being said, why, because
a leader by his presence commands the group he is their leader.

The only games where I can think we don't need to go gung-ho is against the bheast from the east and in the Europa League. Hopefully Jon gets plenty game time then.

Of course he did. It was horrible but we supported him at the time... We have to support our new boy. I'm sure it was just a lash out, although not nice, but happens.... Are you going to support him?

Who ? Gascoigne or Flanagan ?

Flanagans partner is still with him after a doing which tells me she has simply accepted it or just maybe ££££'s and a better lifestyle are more important than selfworth...

Cheryl got rid of Gazza eventually.

Gazza as already stated was a wonderful player but he f ucked up big time when it came to personal relationships,no matter what YOU do not hit a wumen.

Measured and rational from the manager.

I don't know about others but the older I get, I prefer that kind of outlook rather than hysterical moralising.

This for me, as I have got older I have learned that some good people can do some horrendous things. I have learned it doesn't make them any less of a good person no matter how bad the thing they done is. Unfortuantely the press and society dont look at things that way.

However to be a bit of a hypocrite the signing does make me uneasy having been with a girl for the last two years that was a victim to domestic abuse in the past, it can change their lives. Although he signed now, time to get behind the whole team no matter anyone's feelings on Flanagan.

This for me, as I have got older I have learned that some good people can do some horrendous things. I have learned it doesn't make them any less of a good person no matter how bad the thing they done is. Unfortuantely the press and society dont look at things that way.

However to be a bit of a hypocrite the signing does make me uneasy having been with a girl for the last two years that was a victim to domestic abuse in the past, it can change their lives. Although he signed now, time to get behind the whole team no matter anyone's feelings on Flanagan.

Absolute rubbish there's horrendous things that folk deserve the jail for and one of them is female abuse.

I’m sure there is people on here that done something they regret at sometime in there life. It’s fact of life ,it’s how you act after the fact and become a better person.

I like most on here when this man speaks I listen, for me it goes back to Walter's time at Ibrox, I listened then also, for me at least, there is something in all of the great leaders, they all have it, they enter a room or they speak to a group of people and those people stop and listen to what is being said, why, because
a leader by his presence commands the group he is their leader.
I agree mate. Too often over the last 3 managers I found myself switching off through interviews, mainly because of their one sided views and repetitive comments. SG has a refreshing outlook about the game and the way he wants us to play. an air of authority that makes you hang off every word.

I’m sure there is people on here that done something they regret at sometime in there life. It’s fact of life ,it’s how you act after the fact and become a better person.

Like shoplifted at 12 and my dad kicked my arse ( never again ).

Never ever thought i needed to batter someone far less a burd,maybe just me.

I will put my hands up to having serious regrets involving violence but that was over 15 yrs ago now.
(Not towards a woman)

I know of at least 2 guys who served time for violence but have completely turned thier lives around and now work for charities that help young offenders and vulnerable teenagers avoid a life of crime.

Flannigan will always have that stain on his reputation but that doesn't mean he hasnt changed or does'nt deserve a second chance.

Its a sensitive issue though for some.

Regardless of all arguments either for or against, some self riteous tits will always take the moral high ground while looking down thier noses at us mere mortals.

Whether you agree with him signing or not, the guys is now a Rangers player and should have the support of the fans.

I've made my feelings clear, previously - JF is a top signing, pending fitness.

Fans favourite in the making.

Cert.

Jon Flanagan loyal.

Think that's a bit of a stretch tbh mate.

We'll accept him & back him when he's playing for us, but I don't think he'll ever quite become a fans favourite for a lot of people in our support no matter how well he does.

It doesn't sit comfortable me but both Flanagan and his abused partner are still together therefore if the victim can forgive then who are we to judge ?
According to one poster, she’s only still there because he’s her meal ticket.
She’s quite prepared to take a bit of a slapping here an there because of the lifestyle he can give her, like holidays in Dubai.

The thing that struck me most about this was his thoughts on not being gung-ho all the time. Bringing back the blue steel.

I think he will match up Celtic like for like at the back when we play them and that flannagan is a shoe-in for the big games as he can also play as a centre back. They switch between a 4-1-2-2-1 without the ball, with one inverted winger in front of Tierney which allows him to bomb on constantly and an out and out winger in front of lustig, and essentially a 3-2-4-1 formation with Tierney pushed higher into attacking midfield when they have it. The inverted winger, normally McGregor against us, then becomes a left central attacking mid with rogic pushing on beside him further right (both doubling up on our full backs so they always have a pass on), brown then sits less deep than without the ball in line with n'tcham with normally forrest hugging their right touchline. Lustig, when they attack, then becomes the 3rd centre back. Lustig's defensive versatility, as much as I dislike the guy, is actually key in allowing them to play the way they do, press so effectively higher up the pitch and have so many bodies in attacking positions when they do have the ball. John or tav simply can't fullfil that role. For me, Flanagan will start before john in all games against them, aberdeen, hibs, hearts etc away because of his defensive attributes and john will play in most of the games we will expect to have far more of the ball and can take more risks in with less likelihood of being punished if caught upfield. A very astute purchase imo.

Think that's a bit of a stretch tbh mate.

We'll accept him & back him when he's playing for us, but I don't think he'll ever quite become a fans favourite for a lot of people in our support no matter how well he does.
I believe he will, pending fitness.

Suppose we will just have to wait and see.

I would not have signed Flanagan because of his past, outside football. The Manager, as he points out, has a perspective few people have. I do like that our Manager has acted as a leader and after consideration made a difficult decision. It's also refreshing to hear that Gerrard recognises the full backs defensive flaws.

I.M.O the guy should get a second chance.
I also appreciate there will be some fans who will be against it and I respect that. So it's up to the lad to win those fans around.
What fans shouldn't do is get swayed by some of the anti-Rangers media on this subject.

Everything our manager says is measured and thoughtful.

No wild claims, just comments about our team that make perfect sense to the fans.

It's clear it's going to be more of a squad than a regular starting 11.

Different line ups depending on how the opposition will set up and whether we're home or away.

I like that.

Who ? Gascoigne or Flanagan ?

Flanagans partner is still with him after a doing which tells me she has simply accepted it or just maybe ££££'s and a better lifestyle are more important than selfworth...

Cheryl got rid of Gazza eventually.

Gazza as already stated was a wonderful player but he f ucked up big time when it came to personal relationships,no matter what YOU do not hit a wumen.

You never answered his question though, simple yes or no.

Did you want Gazza sacked?

I hoped that these brave words from Steve G could get us all pulling in the same direction.
Too many on here stuck in their own point of view and repeating their own thoughts.
It's time to move on.
Flanagan is now a Ranger, he needs our support.

Back