Are our players allergic to near post crosses?

Pro footie players should be landing 7or8/10 crosses on someone’s head imo. It helps if you have a half decent headerer of the ball i guess

Been banging on about this since last season Moralos would get 5-10 more goals a season if he would hit the front post - he should watch some videos of Ally doing it he was a master at it

Surely this must have been pointed out so frustrating would turn poor crosses from Candieas into good ones

Pro footie players should be landing 7or8/10 crosses on someone’s head imo. It helps if you have a half decent headerer of the ball i guess

Pro-footie ???????????(you a wee English girl?) Crosses should be put in with pace into the 'danger area' It is up to the attacking players to get in position to have an attempt but too often they take the easy option and hide at the back post or worse don't even make an effort

Morelos does need to go near post but Murphy needs to be little wider when the ball comes in from the right and start his run a bit later, too often the ball is at the back post and he's at the penalty spot.

Morelos isn't a striker or if he is, he's the first one I have ever seen that doesn't make near post runs. Like, never.

I always thought he would be better as a deep lying target man with a striker playing off him, but that doesn't appear to be do-able in Gerrard's formations. How about if we played him where Windass is? Fullbacks are invariably shorter than CBs, we could launch long cross field balls to him, he'd win the vast majority and then he can run on to balls from deep. He could swap with Murphy, depending on who had the most dominatable fullback. It would also naturally pull the centre halves apart trying to deal with him.

Seriously how many crosses are going to wasted this season like last season……with no one willing to make a run to the near post?

I know one striker that just ……won’t!

Surely good strikers normally will run to both……at least ……they used to!

Spot on, our striker would rather stand immobile nearer the back post in the hope that the ball clears the goalie and all defenders so he can tap it in. This happens maybe two or three times a season, so it's not really a plan.
It's painfull to watch, nobody attacking the ball, cutting in front of the goalie or defenders.

Pro-footie ???????????(you a wee English girl?) Crosses should be put in with pace into the 'danger area' It is up to the attacking players to get in position to have an attempt but too often they take the easy option and hide at the back post or worse don't even make an effort
No I’m not are you?
I think it’s a bit of both but I get your point

Been banging on about this since last season Moralos would get 5-10 more goals a season if he would hit the front post - he should watch some videos of Ally doing it he was a master at it

Surely this must have been pointed out so frustrating would turn poor crosses from Candieas into good ones

Agree 100%

The number of dangerous near post crosses that go abegging every week is infuriating. As you say, Super used to make that run regularly and has the goal records to prove it.

I'm just not sure we have any players up front who are quick enough thinking to spot these opportunities developing.

Why would the strikers run to the front post when the majority of our crosses seem to be over hit way past the back post or even past the box. Our crossing is woeful at times.

Doesn't really matter the quality of the cross when it's Morelos sticking his head on it... Windass and Murphy both f***** up good chances as well.

weve been saying this as well.

Often you can see that a wide player won't get elevation in his cross due to the position he has been forced into by defenders actions and from the resulting body shape before he strikes the ball.
It should be a matter of intelligent reading of the game by forward players to anticipate this as it happens.
As someone said, McCoist was a master of this, and in truth, most of the best strikers can instinctively read these situations.

Seriously how many crosses are going to wasted this season like last season……with no one willing to make a run to the near post?

I know one striker that just ……won’t!

Surely good strikers normally will run to both……at least ……they used to!

It’s impossible to attack front and back posts with one striker. One up front with 2 wingers doesn’t work for us.

Spot on, our striker would rather stand immobile nearer the back post in the hope that the ball clears the goalie and all defenders so he can tap it in. This happens maybe two or three times a season, so it's not really a plan.
It's painfull to watch, nobody attacking the ball, cutting in front of the goalie or defenders.
lets be honest, he cant even score the tap ins

Back