The SPFL have spoken to Facebook, Amazon and Apple in a bid to get the best television deal

I’d rather stick with BT and ditch Sky if I’m honest. Sky have no interest in Scottish football outwith the old firm games. BT seem to promote Scottish football a lot better and they seem to put a lot more effort into the games (build up, analysis etc).

The product will get more exposure on Sky as BT don't have nearly as many customers, but TBH in terms on the traditional tv package, whoever is willing to pay more money gets it.

Tbh I'm not a big fan of streaming games. We currently have 120mb broadband in the house and yet some things still buffer at times.

Once again we will see the importance of Rangers to the rest of them when it comes down to money.
No matter how much they hate us ,they still want us there as a cash cow.
Remember how they changed their rules when we were in the lower Leagues to get money out of our TV games?
The SPL raided the Scottish League when they saw our games attracted the biggest audiences not just at the matches but in viewing figures.
Who the f*ck really wants to watch Motherwell v Dundee etc. ?
We must push for payments which are proportiate to our appeal to broadcasters and not allow this deal to be driven by clubs who have virtually zero appeal.
I'd much rather we had our own exclusive deal but I doubt that will happen.
We hold a substantial leverage in this matter and we have to exercise it to our advantage.
Rangers first and last and let the rest get what they get. It's all they deserve.
WATP

I’d love to slag them here but fair enough, it’s the way forward so at least they’re being proactive.

Once again we will see the importance of Rangers to the rest of them when it comes down to money.
No matter how much they hate us ,they still want us there as a cash cow.
Remember how they changed their rules when we were in the lower Leagues to get money out of our TV games?
The SPL raided the Scottish League when they saw our games attracted the biggest audiences not just at the matches but in viewing figures.
Who the f*ck really wants to watch Motherwell v Dundee etc. ?
We must push for payments which are proportiate to our appeal to broadcasters and not allow this deal to be driven by clubs who have virtually zero appeal.
I'd much rather we had our own exclusive deal but I doubt that will happen.
We hold a substantial leverage in this matter and we have to exercise it to our advantage.
Rangers first and last and let the rest get what they get. It's all they deserve.
WATP

Our matched ALWAYS attract the biggest viewing figures...that was, is and always will be the case.

At the moment we have probably the strongest, most competitive league we've had in years. Aberdeen, Hibs & Hearts will be difficult games all season. Although the early signs bode well for us that we now have the strength/character to handle them.

Killie might continue to push on, so that's more than likely your top 6 there including us and them.

We should not be selling our league short this time, anything less than £50 million for the tv rights is poor given the money thrown about by these streaming companies, Sky & BT.

Who outside of Scotland would want to watch the football up here though. It’s utter shite
Outside of our games and them the audience/‘demand’ will be virtually zero

I actually think the overall product of football here is getting better.

Far better quality of player at the club’s outside of us and them than a few years ago.

Who outside of Scotland would want to watch the football up here though. It’s utter shite
Outside of our games and them the audience/‘demand’ will be virtually zero
You’d be very surprised at the amount of viewers it would attract imo football is still growing all around the world and people in far flung places can’t get enough of it no matter what league the huge selling point is of course Rangers and SG I wouldn’t be a big fan of Spanish Italian or German football but there’s plenty of interest for their leagues I think if there’s football on fans will watch it we’re definitely selling ourselves short the more money that comes into the Scottish game the better it will become and the more impact our clubs will have in European competitions .

I still don’t know exactly what people mean when they say that.

If it’s in an Amazon Prime/Netflix sense, perhaps....because you can watch them through your telly, and crucially, it’s simple to do so.

The eleven sports model will fail as it stands because people don’t want to watch the big match on a phone or iPad. And it isn’t straightforward to broadcast those images onto your tv at any rate.

You can cast from the phone to TV with screen mirroring/chromecast/apple tv etc

“Come on guys, we’ve got Steven Gerrard now, that’s got to be worth a few bob”

I guarantee the above will be their biggest bit of ammo for trying to hammer out a new deal. The thought of Dungcaster saying it gives me the heave.

That is without doubt the pitch, as he wheels out stats on how many Rangers fans and obsessives watch our matches.

Then, deal done, they hand our money over to people who hate us and who wanted us dead. I'd prefer if they just said thank you.

Wish Rangers could tell them to ram it and just go RTV :rolleyes:

Have zero interest in the welfare of Scottish Football other than us, and as for other games outside Rangers, happy to watch them using other methods than Sky / BT.

You can guarantee they’ll get some shite deal but will attempt to spin it as the saviour of Scottish football.

A wee bit ironic Mike Mullraney telling us how good a job they are doing with this. Perhaps if he wasn’t so stupid his club may not have been scammed for half a million pounds.

A few things:

1. Diddy team fans will have to start turning up - swathes of empty seats ain't helping drive forward any deals. They might even stop blaming us for everything!
2. Teams might have to reconsider away allocations as atmosphere, hate, shouting etc will be crucial to selling the league
3. Play some decent football....most SPL coaches are years behind.

Will the internet infrastructure in this country be up to it?

I know that when they tried only streaming the world cup in Australia they had huge problems and had to return to conventional Tele after a couple of days.
That was because the provider hugely underestimated the demand for World Cup matches. It wasn't the internet in Australia that failed it was the company streaming it that couldn't provide the level of service to meet demand and it cost them big time: anybody who signed up for wc matches and complained about the service for a free set top box and free epl for a year as compensation!

I've got to say I'm a big fan of series a . By have lost the rights and to watch Italian games I require yet another subscription to Eleven sports which means I would have to watch on my laptop or phone occasionally getting a free game via Facebook . It's all a bit rubbish to be honest. Imagine you can't go to the match, where can I see it? Is it on Facebook? Amazon? Apple TV? YouTube? Council telly? Sky? Bt? FFS! It'll be half time before I find it. It's all too much for an old timer like me.

If they cant manage to get a deal in the region of 50-90 million they should be fucking hunted. This is the most interesting and competitive the league has been in god knows how long.

It's a pain in the arse for the average punter having to pay 2 subscriptions for Scottish football.

I'm a fortune for Sky and BT, but last season those packages included La Liga, Seria A & the UFC so I didn't mind as much.

Proper grudging paying them both now though. Need to get Scottish football all on the same channel.

I
Will the internet infrastructure in this country be up to it?

I know that when they tried only streaming the world cup in Australia they had huge problems and had to return to conventional Tele after a couple of days.

The Oz world cup issues was really just a feck up of the phone companies management of it not the ability to stream itself. Although it was on terrestrial tv after the Optus balls up (went to SBS) SBS also provided a stream service in HD to their phone app which was excellent and was ultimately what Optus should have provided had they not ballsed it up

The problem Scottish football has had for a long time is that we don't get enthusiastic about it. We are told from a young age that it isn't very good. As Rangers fans (and probably the same for some of the bigger other teams), we look games out with ours as being boring. If we had a sustainable income, pundits that analised games and offered insight (rather than talking the game down, trying to find humour in everything, and holding grudges), we might have the basis for viewers inside and outside of Scotland that aren't already fans.

Tbh I'm not a big fan of streaming games. We currently have 120mb broadband in the house and yet some things still buffer at times.
I have fibre optic last I checked I got 60mb we can stream football/films and have 5 people on there phones and never get buffering.

Premiership gets more for a single game than the SPL gets for the full season. Says it all.

Amazon- Whit ye gote?
SPFL- The invincibles and Brendan Rodgers.

Amazon- Nah. Anythin else?

SPFL emm?- What about Rangers and Stevie Gerrard?

Amazon- Ok How much do you want.

Just to throw a spanner in the works.

I'd like to see some effort into trying to improve the product. Must be worth a chat to the Dutch, Belgians, Portuguese etc who all have poor TV deals to see if there is some common ground even if it is not a full blown Atlantic league.

There is still time to do some time before any new deal kicks in.

Just to throw a spanner in the works.
I'd like to see some effort into trying to improve the product. Must be worth a chat to the Dutch, Belgians, Portuguese etc who all have poor TV deals to see if there is some common ground even if it is not a full blown Atlantic league.
There is still time to do some time before any new deal kicks in.

The Portuguese get 110 million a year.
Even the Danis Superliga gets over 40 million.
Meanwhile in the good old SPL....19 million

Streaming only is not good enough in my eyes. Perhaps it is different in other countries but with data throttling at peak times, which is when matches are played, one person will be able to stream a match in the house and nobody else able to stream anything. Obviously this won't be the case for everyone but say I want to watch the match, the wife wants to watch iplayer and kids on Netflix... For this reason I won't be paying for Eleven Sports to watch Serie A unfortunately.

Back