Jim Brogan

Condolences to Jim Brogan's family.

I did not know him but he did spoil a weekend of mine as a kid with a late winner at Parkhead.

Ive had family who suffered from this orrible disease and my best mates mother is in the latter stages of vascular dementia.. and its taking,its toal on the whole family... a disgusting disease that strips you of dignity and I hate when bears sing songs about billy mcneil etc
Vascular dementia took my mum,five years from diagnosis to death,although you could wipe out the last three years as living any sort of "life" RIP Jim.

In his last game he captained Celtic in the Glasgow Cup Final on May 10th 1975. Both teams shared the Cup following a 2-2 draw. My wedding speech the day before, went along the lines of, "Ladies and Gentlemen the reason we are here today, is because I am going to see The Rangers, tomorrow". True Story LOL.

Heartfealt Condolences to Jim Brogans Family and His Many, Many Friends.

In his last game he captained Celtic in the Glasgow Cup Final on May 10th 1975. Both teams shared the Cup following a 2-2 draw. My wedding speech the day before, went along the lines of, "Ladies and Gentlemen the reason we are here today, is because I am going to see The Rangers, tomorrow". True Story LOL.

It was a drab day, but I'm speaking for me, not your missus.

It was Glasgow 800 and I got a mug from school to celebrate it.

I didn't know he was captain that day although, McNeill had possibly retired after the Scottish Cup?

Every day is indeed a school day.

Playing amateur more than a few years back and we went out to play this team from Coatbridge. We get their team sheet before the game and the name Jim Brogan is on it. Their coach confirms it's the same Jim Brogan who had played for Celtc, but he had long since retired. We take to the park and all our team were Bears(we had an old fashioned signing policy:rolleyes:), and Jim Brogan had put on a few pounds. Well that's to say he looked as if he was about to give birth to triplets so we were all dying to give him a torrid time. Although we won, Jim Brogan played as sweeper and strolled through the game, and if he had been playing with a pint of Guinness in his hand he wouldn't have spilled a drop.

A horrific disease. May he rest in peace.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Condolences to Jim's family , a horrible disease , at least he is at rest now , no more suffering.

im sure we lost a goal more or less from kick off, sandy jardine got his passback to our keeper wrong, and paul Wilson tapped in for the easiest goal he would ever score

Lost my dad to Alzheimer's. Horrible

Condolences to the family and friends

I might be wrong, but l used to work with a couple of guys in Shawlands in the 80s who said he played rugby for a team over that way after he retired? Not sure if anyone can confirm?

Drank in Brogans bar in 76/77 when i was doing an ONC in Coatbridge Tech

Decent bar it has to be said

RIP Jim

im sure we lost a goal more or less from kick off, sandy jardine got his passback to our keeper wrong, and paul Wilson tapped in for the easiest goal he would ever score

Teams

Celtic:
Latchford, McGrain, Lynch, McCluskey, MacDonald, Brogan (Callaghan) (Johnstone), Hood, Murray, Dalglish, Lennox, Wilson.
Goals:- Wilson 2 (3,18).

Rangers:
Kennedy, Jardine, Greig, McKean, Jackson, Forsyth, McLean, Stein, Parlane, MacDonald, Johnstone. Subs: Miller, Young
Goals:- Stein (7), McLean (38).

Referee: I Foote (Glasgow)
Attendance: 70,494.

It eventually took my auld dad after cancer, brain tumour, deep vein thrombosis and perforated stomach ulcer couldn't. Horrible disease which takes it's toll on the whole family

Please don't take this as me trivialising or me being unsympathetic, but it appears if your dad didn't have bad luck he'd have had no luck at all. He was obviously not one to give in easily which deserves so much respect.

RIP Jim Brogan, I've only heard positives about you apart from the obvious connection. Thoughts with your family.

Thoughts to his family.

Lots of positive comments about JB's character. He may have been. Celtic player but still gets the respect of many Rangers fans.

Compare and contrast with the Scottish players from current squad who goad and bait us at every opportunity.

i can safely say wee brogie was an absolute gentleman.i had a wee irish pal who was at the end of his battle with cancer.he was a right tim so i asked wee brogie if he'd sign an autograph for him.this was when he had the victoria bar in viccy road.the wee man went and bought a get well card and wrote a lovely message inside for my mate.few weeks later he passed away and i mentioned to wee jim that the boy he'd written the card for had passed away.after the funeral at the linn we were heading for the cars and who did i spot getting into a waiting private hire??? aye,you guessed it.wee jim brogan.he did'nt even know my pal yet still went out of his way to show respect.he was a beautiful wee guy. jim brogan.RIP.

He was an uncompromising defender. No airs or graces but always put in a shift.
Bizarrely enough , I only remember him scoring one goal. Alas against us for a last minute winner in 1972.
RIP.

Please don't take this as me trivialising or me being unsympathetic, but it appears if your dad didn't have bad luck he'd have had no luck at all. He was obviously not one to give in easily which deserves so much respect.

RIP Jim Brogan, I've only heard positives about you apart from the obvious connection. Thoughts with your family.
He was a hardy auld bugger, despite all that was wrong with him he led a good long life. He was a good Rangers man and lasted to 80 years old. Didn't think anything could take him but Alzheimer's eventually did. My mum had a lingering death from cancer but this was as bad in our eyes anyway. Thanks Fondablondes

14 medals in major competitions (7 league, 4 cup, 3 league cup). Still a great haul. Plus 4 full Scotland caps, and played in the 1970 European Cup Final.

RIP Jim Brogan.
He must have been telling me fibs for years, add his Glasgow cup ect then he will be over 20. As you say great haul

I remember Jim Brogan's New Year OF winner in 1972 ... after Steiny had equalised for us. I was absolutely gutted.

He was a good servant to his team. Condolences to his family and friends.

14 medals in major competitions (7 league, 4 cup, 3 league cup). Still a great haul. Plus 4 full Scotland caps, and played in the 1970 European Cup Final.

RIP Jim Brogan.
That will be 15 medals,RIP Jim I met him once in a local shop I think he was a paint salesman at the time.

Back