Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

14t8mfn.jpg

Jimmy Smith

Rangers 0-0 Dundee United, 4th May 1976. The Rangers players parade all three domestic trophies around the Ibrox trackside 3 days after clinching The Treble in the Scottish Cup Final. This point was enough to keep Dundee United in the Premier League (so it wasn't all good news lol):

2q0neis.jpg

Wee missed a penalty and it kept them up.

Was the 2nd replay not played after the capitulation at the piggery that cost us the league?

My old man is still going regularly and was at all of last season's games against them, but he still mantains that the 4-2 defeat at the piggery against 10 men in 79 is his worst ever experience against them.

Agree with this, Greig should have been sacked immediately after the game

Hibernian 1-2 Rangers, Scottish Cup replay, 28th February 1973. Tommy McLean scored both Gers goals and here scores the winner from the spot in a match watched by an incredible midweek crowd of just over 49,000 at Easter Road:

Never got in that night,gates closed minutes before the start. Cash at the gate that night.
2vam3i9.jpg

Reactions: ao2
Hibernian 1-2 Rangers, Scottish Cup replay, 28th February 1973. Tommy McLean scored both Gers goals and here scores the winner from the spot in a match watched by an incredible midweek crowd of just over 49,000 at Easter Road:

2vam3i9.jpg

Auld yin and myself were there that night.
Incredible amount at Easter road that night.

qs18jd.jpg

DJ runs off to celebrate after scoring against Thistle at Firhill on Jan 2nd 1978 in a 2-1 win which leapfrogged Rangers above Thistle for top spot in the SPL. The bears in the old Firhill shed (including me) are going berserk. There was a crowd of 30,000 at Firhill that day which was the largest for many a year.

Whittiker on the goal line, was tipped to sign for us , ended up he signed for them !!

Rangers fans queuing to get into Tynecastle

2lusar7.jpg

Was at the Scottish cup replay 68 with dad.
Nothing to do with this picture.
Over 44,000 for a Wednesday night,
We lost 1-0 after a 1-1 draw at Ibrox on the Saturday.
Dunfermline beat Hearts 3-1 in the final, and there were 56,000 at Hampden.
We lost the league that day, Sheep scum winning 3-2 at Ibrox.

Last edited:
Was at the Scottish cup replay 68 with dad.
Nothing to do with this picture.
Over 44,000 for a Wednesday night,
We lost 1-0 after a 1-1 draw at Ibrox on the Saturday.
Hearts won the cup that year beating Dunfermline 3-1 in the final.
We lost the league that day, Sheep scum winning 3-2 at Ibrox.
Dunfermline won 3-1

Agree with this, Greig should have been sacked immediately after the game

I hate going back to this game.
Was dragged out by faither saying its for the best son, not watching the vhermin winning the league.
Left at 3-2.
To be 2-1 up with 20 minutes left and to lose 4-2 was totally wrong.
Rangers greatest ever player should have moved on after that game.

I am a dolt.
That's ok,
The Aberdeen game was played at the same time as Scottish cup final, half the Celtic team were watching Dunfermline ahead of their final league game on the Wednesday.
Our only defeat of the season gave them the league that day.
Eric Sorenson cost us that day.

Yes I think you, Templbluenose, and Warren Hill are all correct.
I know it was the days before squad numbers, but I can never remember Alex Miller wearing number 11 at all. Must have been one of John Greig's master plans to stifle the midfield

The game was at Ibrox as stated by Alex venters, November 11th 1978, a 1-1 draw with Lynch scoring for them & Alex Forsyth netting a penalty for us. The Rangers Companion lists Alex Miller as number 11 that day, which is the only time he wore that number during the possible timeframe for the picture.

I hate going back to this game.
Was dragged out by faither saying its for the best son, not watching the vhermin winning the league.
Left at 3-2.
To be 2-1 up with 20 minutes left and to lose 4-2 was totally wrong.
Rangers greatest ever player should have moved on after that game.

We were 2-1 down and equalised through Bobby Russell, before conceding two late on.

The game was at Ibrox as stated by Alex venters, November 11th 1978, a 1-1 draw with Lynch scoring for them & Alex Forsyth netting a penalty for us. The Rangers Companion lists Alex Miller as number 11 that day, which is the only time he wore that number during the possible timeframe for the picture.

If it's the November 1978 game it must be Hampden.
Defo looks like Ibrox though.

If it's the November 1978 game it must be Hampden.
Defo looks like Ibrox though.
Sorry - you are right that game was at Hampden. I had thought it looked like the Rangers end at Hampden originally as it looks like there's a fence running up the terracing, which Hampden had and Ibrox didn't. It's the only OF game that Miller wore number 11 between the signing of Bobby Russell & the date on the programme of March 8th 1980.

Ayr United 1-2 Rangers, 27th November 1971. Somerset Park was never an easy place to get the points in those days and it took an amazing goal from Willie Henderson (seen here) to get the points in this match. Alex MacDonald is in the thick of it in the other photo:

2yknrz4.jpg

2my9tsx.jpg

Somerset Park hasn't changed much.

Back