Sportsman Dinner speakers - recommendations from this list

de_bigwan

Official Ticketer
Hi all
We’ve got a sportsman’s dinner in March for the football team and are looking for recommendations from the below list. We already have Rowbotham and Alex Fleming lined up, this is for the 3rd speaker. Last year we had Murdo Macleod and Bill copland. Anyone able to recommend someone from the below?

Scott Glynn
Jimmy Stirling
Peter Brown
John McKelvie
Bill Copeland
Tam Cowan
Willie Young
Paul Reid (impersonator)
George McNeil
Eric Davidson
Duncan McKenzie
Jim Leishman
Kenny Clarke
Chic Young
Sheriff Lindsay Wood
Buller Reid
Jim Morrison
Shug Naismith
Gordon Smart ( Rab C Nesbitt)
Willie Henderson
Gordon Smith
Craig Brown
Bobby Tait
Derek Parlane
Graham Roberts
John Brown
John Gilligan
Willie Allan
Tam Paterson
Stewart Smith
Robbie Duncan
Gary Little
Dick Campbell
Tam McManus
Les Peters
Brian Mcginlay
Jim Robertson
John O'neill

John McKelvie is good (once)

John Gilligan not to everyones taste but agree hilarious.

The Sheriff well past it ( I didn't shoot him though)

Hi all
We’ve got a sportsman’s dinner in March for the football team and are looking for recommendations from the below list. We already have Rowbotham and Alex Fleming lined up, this is for the 3rd speaker. Last year we had Murdo Macleod and Bill copland. Anyone able to recommend someone from the below?

Scott Glynn
John McKelvie
Bill Copeland
George McNeil
Eric Davidson
Duncan McKenzie
Buller Reid
Jim Morrison
Willie Henderson
Derek Parlane
Graham Roberts
John Gilligan

cott Glynn
John McKelvie
Bill Copeland
George McNeil
Eric Davidson
Duncan McKenzie
Buller Reid
Jim Morrison
Willie Henderson
Derek Parlane
Graham Roberts
John Gilligan

Also Joe Camay

cott Glynn
John McKelvie
Bill Copeland
George McNeil
Eric Davidson
Duncan McKenzie
Buller Reid
Jim Morrison
Willie Henderson
Derek Parlane
Graham Roberts
John Gilligan

Also Joe Camay

Joe Camay or Gaughan weren’t unavailable unfortunately!

Is Gilligan good then? Which ones in particular will appeal to a mixed audience as there will be guys in their 20s there, not all older guys

tam cowan
kenny clark
wullie young

three i wouldnt entertain as they are rangers haters.
i used to go to one every year for aan amateur football team until they booked wullie young.

I’ve heard mixed reviews, is he good yes? He did the Q&A at the recent Souness & Smith night but spent most of the time shooshing folk for being noisy so wasn’t able to judge.

Pun?

I've seen him twice and he was excellent. Different material both nights too.

Along with him, I'd say George McNeil from the OPs list.

John Gahagan is someone I've seen twice too and he was brilliant.

Derek Parlane - was sat across from him at a sportsman dinner about 20 years ago. As a young man, never appreciated just how good a player he was at the time, he was a gent throughout and regaled in some good stories.

I organise one every year.

In recent years the stand outs for me were Shuggy Burns, John Brown and Derek Parlane.

We had John Greig last season and once we got him talking he was excellent too.

This year I've got Alex Rae and need another. Been told Charlie Miller is good.

Last edited:
Scott Glynn and Bill Copeland are a good foil as Sotty is a raving looney and Bill is sharpe and up to date on his act. I have both numbers if you need them

Eric Davidson is great, really enjoyed Bill Copeland.
McNeil funny too.
Willie Young was rotten I thought.
Willie Henderson very good but that was a while ago, as was Leishman.

Buller Reid, same nonsense for 25 years but not a bad MC, however anymore than his ten minute links or wrap ups would have you going home, been telling that same p1sh about a nun I the bath forever and wasn't funny the first time.
Robbie Duncan, if that man is making money on the after dinner circuit I will take it up myself. No experience in anything other than cows and Milkng machines and about as funny as a lumber puncture. Up his own ar5e pr1ck too.
Edit if Jim Morrison is the guy who does a lot of Burns stuff too then he is also brilliant. I am sure he is the guy who spotted a waitress at a gig I was at and said "if you were my daughter I would still be bathing you... "

tam cowan
kenny clark
wullie young

i used to go to one every year for aan amateur football team until they booked wullie young.
Willie Young ? Was at one organised by local Masonic recently and I certainly did not get that impression. Also remember seeing him on subway a couple of times going to our game with another ref while he was was still an active ref.

tam cowan
kenny clark
wullie young

They were the first three I took away.

Cowan is as funny as cancer.

Clarke...absolutely rank rotten.

Wullie Young....walked out as soon as he was announced at a dinner around 13-14 years ago.

I'd actually add Jimmy Nicholl into the list of don't bothers.

John Gagahan is superb

Scotty Glynn....side splitting , sore face funny.

tam cowan
kenny clark
wullie young

Wullie Young is not a Rangers hater mate.

George McNeil and Joe Camay did my local amateur team's Speakers Night on Saturday in Dumfries there. Both were excellent and had the place in stiches. Joe is a little bit crude and quite a throwback. He was unscripted for nearly an hour and just kept going. Really good. George was excellent too and my mates actually thought he was better.

Tam Cowan getting pelters but he is actually a funny guy when he gets going.
I'm biased because he was my mate at school but I reckon he's alright.
Not a Rangers supporter by any means but he definitely doesn't have any poet leanings.

Hi all

Scott Glynn
Jimmy Stirling
Peter Brown
John McKelvie
Bill Copeland
Tam Cowan
Willie Young
Paul Reid (impersonator)
George McNeil
Eric Davidson
Duncan McKenzie
Jim Leishman
Kenny Clarke
Chic Young
Sheriff Lindsay Wood
Buller Reid
Jim Morrison
Shug Naismith
Gordon Smart ( Rab C Nesbitt)
Willie Henderson
Gordon Smith
Craig Brown
Bobby Tait
Derek Parlane
Graham Roberts
John Brown
John Gilligan
Willie Allan
Tam Paterson
Stewart Smith
Robbie Duncan
Gary Little
Dick Campbell
Tam McManus
Les Peters
Brian Mcginlay
Jim Robertson
John O'neill

Buller and johnny Gahagan - every single day of the week

Not a Rangers supporter by any means but he definitely doesn't have any poet leanings.

I have seen Cowan a couple of times.

He has quoted his column from that day's Record when i seen him last, and got into a shouting match with a Scottish woman international footballer when he had got pelters for it earlier that year.

His act is totally scripted.

I have seen Cowan a couple of times.

He has quoted his column from that day's Record when i seen him last, and got into a shouting match with a Scottish woman international footballer when he had got pelters for it earlier that year.

His act is totally scripted.
On a few occasions though he has been funny but I am biased

He's not a Rangers hater either - Everybody and anybody is fair game with him. I've saw him speak twice at dinner's and enjoyed him both times. Very few speakers go at it ad lib, the basis of most turns are scripted to be fair to him.

Seen Scott Glynn twice in the last four years, funny as fook, and can be as crude as you like too, he is off his head tbh :):D

How much do we reckon it would cost to book somebody like Walter Smith to do a couple of hours of Q&A? I remember watching a YouTube video of him doing one for East Kilbride FC, it was absolutely fantastic viewing, I’ve thought something like that would make a great night, maybe with a comedian thrown in.

Jim Morrison died in Paris 1971

I'd take chic Dung and that fud Cowan off the list

Funny as fire in an orphanage on Christmas Day the pair of them

Our club was let down last minute by Cowan who got a better / more lucrative offer. He'd claimed his agent hadn't confirmed our booking so was effectively a free agent.

I think he's a hit or a miss. We had some great reports about him but also had him scouted at another event and he was awful. Any c*nt who's happy to jump ship last minute though is not for the trusting.

I should add that this was told to the organisers of the event by the 3rd party agency used to book speakers.

It transpired that he hadn't been 'booked' by us so was then free to be booked up elsewhere. It could well be the agency playing him off other bookings for a higher cut of fee.

Last edited:
tam cowan
kenny clark
wullie young

Wullie Young is definetly one of us, he might not have acted like it when he was a ref but a friend of mine knows him well and says he’s 100%bear.

My son was at a function last night and said John Rowbotham was great.

Also said Dean Saunders had some terrific stories to tell, especially involving Brian Clough.

WATP

George mcniel is great

This one won't go down well but Peter Martin was the funniest after dinner host I've ever seen. Had comedian like put downs for all the hecklers and has some potty mouth on him. Also gives it just as tight to Tims

Seen john gahagan (however you spell it) and he is also tremendous

They were the first three I took away.

Cowan is as funny as cancer.

Clarke...absolutely rank rotten.

Wullie Young....walked out as soon as he was announced at a dinner around 13-14 years ago.

I'd actually add Jimmy Nicholl into the list of don't bothers.

John Gagahan is superb

Scotty Glynn....side splitting , sore face funny.
Joe Camey on form is a hard act to beat as well.

Back