Rangers boss Steven Gerrard on his ambitions, trying to sign top stars and his favourite French team

Lainey Love

The Liverpool icon is continuing his round of interviews with the world‘s media.

Steven Gerrard has spoken of his long-term ambitions as he continues to attempt to make Rangers a force again.

The Ibrox boss has been asked if he sees himself back at Liverpool, the club at which he became a legendary midfielder and charismatic captain.
He has admitted it is a "special place for me" but insisted right now he has eyes only for one team.

Gerrard told France Football: “Today, I am very happy to be at Rangers and happy to do this job.

“I want to give the best of myself for Rangers.

“But nobody knows the future… Liverpool is a very special place for me.
“Maybe it will happen one day … or not.”

Gerrard also lifted the lid on his troubles trying to bring in top players when he arrived at Ibrox in the summer.

The manager, along with director of football Mark Allen, signed 15 recruits in the summer window, added: "When I arrived, we had to adapt. It was difficult to attract recruits because of the club’s financial situation.

"For now, we can only have a certain type of player. That’s why I lead an inexperienced group, but one that is hungry.

"I especially took players in the development, but with this state of mind. Frustrated players lacking playing time in their old clubs."

Gerrard revealed his favourite French club as he continues his round of interviews with the world’s media.

The boss spoke of his love for the game in France and has signed a player from Ligue 1 – Lasanna Coulibaly – on loan from Angers.

Gerrard , currently promoting his "Make Us Dream" documentary on Amazon, admitted he is a fan of Paris Saint-Germain and also a friend of the owner, the Crown Prince of Qatar, Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani.
The 38-year-old said: “I watch Ligue 1. I feel a lot of respect for this championship.

France are the world champions. There’s physical power, but the game is also fast and technical. I watch a lot of French games.

“I like PSG.

“Paris is my team in France and the owner (the Crown Prince of Qatar, Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani) is also my friend.”

I think the remit for Gerrard is to win a trophy within 2 seasons, the league this year was always going to be difficult, keep tight with the mentally challengeds until after the new year and who knows what could happen,still got the scottish cup to play for of course,playing in Europe was always a bonus this season and financially it's been great but like I said I think for Gerrard it's to make strides to close the gap and win a trophy within 2 seasons,but winning one this season is certainly very achievable.

God I love that man.

giphy.gif

“FOR NOW, we can only have a certain type of player“

Anybody else get excited by this?

I remember when Gerrard was unveiled thinking there’s no way he’s coming up here without serious backing and I still believe this could still be the case.

He means mentality, does he not? He also mentions it being difficult to attract players because of our lack of funds.

Basically saying we need hungry and determined players, on the cheap.

If he’s a success here he knows he will get the Liverpool job.
He’s a Liverpool legend and it must be a dream to be the manager.

It's a no lose scenario for us.

To be a contender to get the Liverpool job of necessity he will have to have made a success of his Ibrox tenure.

let's hope Klopp wins the title this season and then it's a nip and tuck scenario between Man City and Liverpool for, oh let's say a decade :D

Love the guy, the line about finances is making me think a little though. Was he looking for too high a calibre or did we just not have that much money

29vzb83.gif

Last edited:
Back