Shankland worth a punt ?

Graemeh89

Official Ticketer
Just wondering what other people think about Lawrence Shankland as a backup striker , we saw against Aberdeen that when Morelos and big Laff are both out we are worryingly short of options up top. His record this year is superb 35 goals in 38 apps is a good return at any level , and not many current spl strikers would have that scoring rate Playing for Ayr. I know he probably won’t take us to the next level in Europe but would do a job against most spl teams, Before anyone compares him to Nicky Clark ( heard this many times whenever we are linked with strikers from smaller teams ) Clark never had as good a record and doesn’t look anywhere near as good.

Shanklands contract is up in June so even a bid of a few hundred thousand Ayr would struggle to knock back or risk losing him on a free in summer , as a bonus he was apparently a season ticket holder at Ibrox when he was younger so he’d be desperate for a chance at Ibrox , thoughts ?

I get what and why others say no but I would look at it the other way and say that whilst he isn't at the level we think we would require , I would say there could be development in the kid and for next to zero outlay I would take a chance but ill guarantee you that if stevie likes him ,he will get him and improve him also, as you say op there really isn't a striker option unless we bring forward that ref dallas or one of the other kids on loan for competition or for cover in that role.
Yes from me.

A year ago we might've took a punt on him but not now.

Our next couple of transfer windows are crucial and we must be aiming for 1st team players with quality.

Why not. If he steps up a level and scores goals great, if he doesn't I'm sure it won't be a massive hit financially.

If the guy is currently producing the goods Then why not. Not every player that takes a big move fluffs it, e.g Jamie vardy

Not good enough. The kind of individual we would have gone for in the past few years, some fans need to get on board with the fact we need to aim higher now- we’re in a position to qualify for Europa League knockouts for gods sake.

I seen him playing on Saturday against Morton and I've got to say I really wasn't impressed by him. A couple of nice touches but the defender's appeared to have sussed him out fairly quickly. The lad obviously has a bit of talent but to Rangers standard? Nope.

It’s a bit of a no real right or wrong answer to this.

Yes he is prolific for Ayr in Championship and L1.

No he is not technically good or quick enough to do a job for us.

I like the player, even recommended him to to a premier league scout(bottom 6) last season but, Bear or not, he’s not at the standard we need to progress.

WATP

I don't know about the lad, seems like a potential Nicky Clark situation though.

Wish him all the best in his career though.

I think we should give the guy a chance, if SG. has seen him and thinks he can improve the lad why not?

How many have seen him play apart from the game against us?

Re the Nicky Clark comparison I’ve said before that NC came in and a lot was expected of him. He was our first choice striker in a poorer side. LS won’t be expected to replace Alfredo, so less pressure on him

There have been dozens of threads on this already, he’s not good enough for Rangers, it’s embarrassing to even contemplate it.

The obvious comparison is Nicky Clark and I don’t think Shankland is as good as him.

You happier with Sadiq as 3rd choice ?
How about we aim higher and for better players?

It’s not a case of comparing 2 players who shouldn’t be anywhere near Rangers. A mistake with Sadiq signing doesn’t make a Shankland signing any more appealing.

And before you reply and knowing what’s coming, my dad is bigger than your dad.

There have been dozens of threads on this already, he’s not good enough for Rangers, it’s embarrassing to even contemplate it.

The obvious comparison is Nicky Clark and I don’t think Shankland is as good as him.
Fair enough you don’t think he’s good enough everyone’s entitled to an opinion but to say it’s embaressing to contemplate it’s is a bit harsh the guys 23 and scoring for fun.

Fair enough you don’t think he’s good enough everyone’s entitled to an opinion but to say it’s embaressing to contemplate it’s is a bit harsh the guys 23 and scoring for fun.

I don’t think it’s harsh mate, he is scoring goals at a poor level if we are being honest.

The mhanks striking options when they won the league last year were Dembele, Griffiths and Edouard.

Our ultimate goal is compete with them and win the title, we are not going to do that by taking a punt on an Ayr Utd player.

Why not, a number of players already on our books have improved due to better coaching from the staff. We need cover in that area.

Sure. Not for this season, but do a Man U and get him signed up and loaned straight back to Ayr. Could then do a sint at Dundee or St Johnstone if he hasn’t quite made the grade by the summer. The price and wages are surely worth the ‘gamble’

Always worth having a few options in the squad. Never waned either of the two Dodds but they were great options upfront when required.

For £200k or so I’d say aye and have a look at him. People were desperate for Cummings who only established himself at a similar level.

For £200k or so I’d say aye and have a look at him. People were desperate for Cummings who only established himself at a similar level.

Kinda shot down your own argument there. Whatever happened to Jason Cummings? Last I looked he wasn’t even getting a game at his loan club after the ‘tv oot the windae’ fiasco.

There was a bit of talk from a few folk that he'd be signing in January for a nominal fee but loaned back to Ayr to finish the season.

Only seen him play once, wasn't that impressed.

Let's let the scouting / coaching team look and assess...thats what they're paid for. I'm sure they've many targets in mind.

If it can be done and we are within touching distance in January, then get Solanke in. He's shown his class this last week.

Id rather we just promote from within if we cant get any better quality than Shankland

Dont know, possibly should aiming higher.
Cummings was excellant in the scottish championship was the likes of waghorn.
They didnt cope well with the step up.

Back