Lassana Coulibaly

I'm using him as an example. But there is a pattern and learning experience here.

Now this just isn't us, every clubs fans do it but I think Coulibaly was a step too far.

When we signed this guy this board after 2-3 games were raving about this player, I mean we on here thought we had won a Patek Phillipe. Many many jumped in with both feet on how he was the answer to the riddle of how to dominate physically the scums midfield.

Sure as sure can be here we are a few months down the line with many including myself convinced now he's not good enough.

Point I am obviously trying to make is we need to give players significant time before we either write them off or tell ourselves they are the real deal. Far too often in the last 2-3 years we have signed a player for little or no money and get over excited about them without properly taking a step back and just watch for a few months.

In January we should try and be that bit more patient even if the likes of Davis comes back, for all we know his legs could have gone.

We have fallen down this trap far too often, lets try and stop doing it so much.

The club cast a wide net, some of the catch was maybe undersize or wrong type of catch. We have to keep on fishing though, that or we bring through the loads of yung uns.

Getting players on loan allowed us to build a squad on the cheap. However with the Europa money and the merchandise money starting to roll in, we need to be looking at signing players.

Remember Gerrard and Allen only started signing up scouts after the transfer window closed. So let's wait and see what our scouts can unearth for us

The manager didn't help by labelling him a destroyer. He's on loan from a club like Angers for a reason.

Clearly has a bit of ability as shown early doors but these sort of players lack any real consistency and fade away for long spells of a season.

Hahaha whit?

He describe an attribute of the player, calm yer vaj.

He’s also playing box the box when his job should literally be tackle and get rid of the ball asap. I think then we would see him back at his best. Leave the creativity to the creative players.

I am not going to cast judgement just yet. He showed lots of promise and has gone off the boil. Not uncommon.
He’s on loan, so let’s just wait and see.

That’s not to deny we need proven, experience in midfield (Hello Davis).

Maybe it's an age thing but I'm stuffed if I can remember this guy producing "incredible"performances at any time since he arrived.He is no better than the two youth midfielders we have imo

He’s certainly had a poor spell but he certainly had a promising start with us.
No predictions about the future, let’s just see how he fares from now to the end of the season.

Hahaha whit?

He describe an attribute of the player, calm yer vaj.

In that I meant people immediately thought he was going to be a destroyer.

They have that image in their head and now write him off when he doesn't live up to it.

If he brushed up on his distrubution and decision making, he'd be a much better player. Similar to Greg Docherty in that' he's wasteful in possession, needs to calm it down and find a bit of composure.

Moved for the ball last night, picked it up, drove through the middle of the park shrugging a player off, sees Middleton in acres of space down the left side, goes to play that 15/20 yard pass and knocks it out of play. TBH, he's not the only one, our distribution can be bloody awful.

He's had a few good moments in matches but I certainly haven't seen him boss an opposition midfield for a full 90 mins.

I think in the coming games it’ll be clear just how good he is. A run of games and his fitness back, along with his head being in the right place

Like Davis for example
I really want Steve Davis in for this. He can play and bring poise and control to our midfield and Christ knows that's desperately lacking currentlly but off-field I believe he can be key to how SG's team develop. He could be instrumental in Docherty maturing into the player we need e.g.

I'm using him as an example. But there is a pattern and learning experience here.

Now this just isn't us, every clubs fans do it but I think Coulibaly was a step too far.

When we signed this guy this board after 2-3 games were raving about this player, I mean we on here thought we had won a Patek Phillipe. Many many jumped in with both feet on how he was the answer to the riddle of how to dominate physically the scums midfield.

Sure as sure can be here we are a few months down the line with many including myself convinced now he's not good enough.

Point I am obviously trying to make is we need to give players significant time before we either write them off or tell ourselves they are the real deal. Far too often in the last 2-3 years we have signed a player for little or no money and get over excited about them without properly taking a step back and just watch for a few months.

In January we should try and be that bit more patient even if the likes of Davis comes back, for all we know his legs could have gone.

We have fallen down this trap far too often, lets try and stop doing it so much.

Precisely.

I mean we had people on here comparing Nicky Law to Gazza after his first game!!

The more I read this forum im beginning to think Stevie G is actually the best manager in the world. A mean how many other managers take a team to a game away from qualifying from the group stages of Europa and still in a title race with a squad full of utter shite and hopeless players?

Couliablly is a class act when on top form but like many his age, struggles for consistency and also struggles in the Scottish game a bit more than I thought he would.

I agree. We need to give every player time.

But I also think we have ripped the arse right out of some of our younger loan players. Ejaria as an example. Going from no senior games to a mainstay of a club like ours and playing best part of 30 games before Xmas is a recipe for disaster

Totally agree mate and I feel the same way about young Middleton. He's playing too much too soon. Hopefully Grezda comes in for the next few games at least and gives the lad a break where he can be used as an impact sub for a wee while rather than a starter every game.

Totally agree mate and I feel the same way about young Middleton. He's playing too much too soon. Hopefully Grezda comes in for the next few games at least and gives the lad a break where he can be used as an impact sub for a wee while rather than a starter every game.
I feel for Middleton. He’s now getting pigeon holed by fans as a one trick pony. Where he should be pigeon holed as an 18 year old finding his way.

Truthfully I thought he was poor even when everyone was raving about him. He became a bit of a cult hero for making one run against St Mirren.

Im not convinced either - a decent destroyer at times but too often caught wring side of the ball to be reliable

Also his use of the ball isnt good enough- slack passing and running into trouble is s common theme.

We need better if we are to have a trophy winning midfield imo

The defence get a roasting on here blamed mostly on rotating every game,
Doesn't the midfield get rotated too much as well?
If we had a settled team they might play as one.

He’s also playing box the box when his job should literally be tackle and get rid of the ball asap. I think then we would see him back at his best. Leave the creativity to the creative players.

He doesn't appear to have the positional discipline to play as a defensive midfielder though. Given that is probably the most important attribute in that position, then it is a a bit of a problem.

We have nine players currently badly off form? Why is this. There must be a reason for it. These nine players have showed there best form. Now let’s be clear even Gazza and Laudrup had bad games but with these players the bad form has been constant. Coulibaly looked outstanding when he was first in the team. Strong in the tackle, dynamic. Skilful. He gets kicked once and he turns into Ian Black.

If we didn't get ejaria and coulibally in on loan and ran the season with mcrorie and docherty in their place, would we be in worse, better or the same place as now?

Been wondering that of late, either way we'd still be crying out for a signing in January

I actually thought he was half decent on Thursday, the pitch didn't help anyone but thought he got about the park and made a few telling tackles. He reminds me of Edu, very athletic but not overly skilful and needs better players around him to make him a better player.

You can see why he gave a man of the March performance against PSG but was in and out of a mid table team in France. If he could produce his best every week he’d be playing at the top level.

I like the guy but I don’t think it’s worth making it permanent

Back