Would you punt Tav & Alfredo to help fund the next phase of the rebuild ?

Good luck replacing both.

We sell Morelos and Tavernier, then the quality of our first team reduces further as well.

We aren't getting big bucks for either and replacing them with squad fillers won't do.
It'd need to be big bucks to make it worthwhile selling either mate that's for sure.
The guts of 20 million or so though could buy some real quality if invested wisely,not for a minute suggesting that's an easy task but MA seems to be fairly astute thus far.

I mentioned earlier in the thread possibly a guy like Fredericks of West Ham who can't get a game for love nor money(starred for Fulham previously) as a possible replacement RB if Tav was sold.
Likewise Prevljak of RB Salzburg who can't get a regular game because Dabour is a bit of a superstar for them.

Fredericks would likely be a loan with wages a possible stumbling block,Prevljak would cost several million possibly.Again,we'd need to get big bucks in to afford both I would reckon though but it can be done imo.

Two European games on and failure to qualify for the last 32, I'm bumping this thread to ask the question again.

Summer 2019 - We get £18-20m between Tav and Morelos. Gerrard gets the majority to reinvest in the squad. The rest goes to plugging the financial shortfall.

Yes or no ?

Considering our best two players were not signed by Gerrard makes me worry he won't be able to replace with similar quality.

He has picked up a few good players but they are not the same as both.

Morelos will be sold in the summer. I’m certain of that.

Think we were hoping/goading West Brom to come back for Tav. Wouldn’t be surprised if he left but wouldn’t bank on someone matching our value either.
He should focus on staying here at Rangers,what is he going to win at West Brom. He can get a lot further here and should be advised of that. Unless it's for 20 million plus and before you laugh he's a far better player than Dembele and there is no way we will find similar,we'd have to bring 2 players in to cover the workrate he covers and that was shown in the last two games.

Where are we going to get someone who can replace Morelos? Someone who can score as many goals as him? Someone who can lead a line better than him? Someone who can provide as many assists?
It's probably not impossible but there few like him anywhere and they'd cost a fortune.
But that's disproved by the very nature of Morelos signing in the first place. £1m from Finland. Doesn't mean that all players there are the same but the idea he's irreplaceable without spending £20m is very flawed. With good scouting there's no reason to think we couldn't find a replacement if not for £1m then £3-5m. That's what we have to do as a club. Find, develop, win and profit.
Fwiw I wouldn't sell at this time, but no one is irreplaceable.

Further to that, I've long thought that selling Tavernier would be bad and I still think we would struggle to replace him more than Morelos. There are few fullbacks who score and assist as much as him.
But....he's 27. He is probably at his peak. We might not get a chance to get as much money for him (got to be worth £7m+ as an English player down there). Do we gamble and keep him and end up getting nothing for him at 30? Ideally yes but the financial benefit to the club has to be balanced with success.

Depends if Morelos can be educated to staying on the park, he"s up against it here and looks like his card Is marked. Gerrard put himself on the line defending him and Alfie repaid him by being stupid asap. If Alfie doesn't toe the line by the summer then I think he will have no choice anyway

Sell our best players for the next phase of rebuild? How does this make any sense?

You add strength to strength, don’t weaken and hope to get lucky with replacements.

He’s one of our mainattacking threats.

Genuinely don’t think people realise how much he contributes to us
And adversely, I don't think folk realise how limited he actually is. He's the 1st guy(our captain) who dissapears up his own arse at the end of the month

Tav gets an 8, yes, AN EIGHT, in tonight's Evening Times! If a Premier League club takes that as a guide and pays the exorbitant going rate, I'd try not to blush taking the fee.

Dont think people really realise what is needed to secure a player who has scored and played like Alfredo this season,

the only thing we should be thinking about with Alfredo is how long we can manage to keep him for

Dont think people really realise what is needed to secure a player who has scored and played like Alfredo this season,

the only thing we should be thinking about with Alfredo is how long we can manage to keep him for

And in the same vain I don't think many people realise what is needed to secure a player, a right back to be specific, who can provide the level of assists that Tav has not just this season but for 3 years.

If we sell Tav, start bidding at £7m.

Only for mega mega bucks, would trust the management to find the right players to replace them ... this era is just beginning

We need to be able to replace them with equivalent or better quality at a lower price or there is no point. Both have their best years to come so their value could increase (especially Alfie).

Radio 5 were talking tonight about how selling Coutinho let them Liverpool go out and buy Van Dyke , Alisson and Shaqiri. Morelos would be our equivalent but what sort of quality could we reasonably expect to bring to the SPL?

Tav for the right money, definitely. Morelos only for silly Premier League money.

^^^ this for me also. If Morelos can just improve his self control (admittedly difficult when he is targeted by opponents who get away with repeated thuggish actions) I would never willingly let him move. He of course will be aiming for somewhere higher than the Scottish football scene, so let’s see a hefty fee for him in a year or two.

Posted this in another thread but curious to hear other's opinions on this.

Say we got around £17/18m between them in bids next summer. Gerrard is guaranteed £10m of that to spend on the next phase of the squad building and the rest goes towards either plugging the financial lossses or on the upgrading the stadium/HTC/pitch etc.

Are you taking it ? Are you holding out for more ? Are you thinking both of them are off limits in terms of being sold ?
£25 million for both yes,anything under then no deal.

Morelos will score more goals this season than the Dumbel and be SPFL top goal scorer and we will have a price tag of £15m+ for him. I think someone will pay that too.....National call ups now too!!

We might have a price of £5 to 6m for Tav!

Posted this in another thread but curious to hear other's opinions on this.

Say we got around £17/18m between them in bids next summer. Gerrard is guaranteed £10m of that to spend on the next phase of the squad building and the rest goes towards either plugging the financial lossses or on the upgrading the stadium/HTC/pitch etc.

Are you taking it ? Are you holding out for more ? Are you thinking both of them are off limits in terms of being sold ?
Tav should be sold asap anything more than a million is a bargain

This only makes sense if the player(s) in question are on a completely different level to the rest of the team.

I think we need another 4-5 players of Morelos and Tavernier's level. They are of the standard required, not better, at least currently.

Doesn't make sense to sell them, it would weaken team even if invested wisely.

Morelos right now is irreplaceable but with silly money ofcourse he will be sold.. thats why 15+ is being touted as he brings so much to the game you dont see many strikers bullying much bigger defenders around like he does and hes young to so will only get better. Tav on the other hand is at his peak we boss most games so i dont think its a big a deal as some make out with his assists if he could deliver more better he would have an even better assist rate sometimes his delivery is terrible so for me he is replaceable !

End of season if we can get anywhere near 20 mill for them both I'd bite there hand off but only is the boss gets at least 75% of the fees..

1 of them will go in the summer for big money but we need to hold onto 1 of them. Can't sell both at the same time.

Tav frustrates me
He can be a fantastic footballer an terrible in the same week

For that reason I’d get over him quick

I know people say he’s not a midfielder
But I don’t think he’s a defender

Morelos I love will definitely be gutted when we do eventually sell

Fantastic comeback.

Still not any intellectual argument against what I said though.

Since Tavernier signed for Rangers back in July 2015, he has started in 123 league games from a possible 128 games.

He's played a total of 11,060 minutes. In the 2015/16 season only Foderingham played more minutes. That was the same again in the 2016/17 season. Tavernier played the most minutes for us in the 2017/18 season and he's third behind Goldson and McGregor so far this season.

Tav has scored 25 goals and assisted a further 36 goals.

He's either scored or assisted a goal every 181 minutes. He's a right back.

By comparison, the Scottish press gush about Kieran Tierney. He's supposedly interesting Juventus, Man Utd, (insert other big clubs names here)...

Here's KT's stats from the same seasons. Granted you have to take into account Tavernier's first season was in the Championship but we'll get an idea just how important Tavernier is to us....

Tierney has started 90 games from a possible 128.

KT's played a total of 7913 minutes. He's scored 5 goals and assisted a further 22.

He's either scored or assisted a goal every 293 minutes. He's a left back.

Just to draw further comparison, I decided to look at other full backs who I consider to be highly rated at the moment.

I understand that these players play in leagues that are much tougher than the SPFL, but this isn't to compare the talents of players - It's more to show just how important Tavernier is to Rangers.

Andrew Robertson - Liverpool
In the last two seasons AR has scored or assisted a goal every 355 minutes

Kieran Tripper - Spurs
In the last two seasons KT has scored or assisted a goal every 323 minutes

Kiernan Tierney - Celtic
In the last 3 seasons KT has scored or assisted a goal every 293 minutes

James Tavernier - Rangers
In JT's Rangers career he's scored or assisted a goal every 181 minutes

James Tavernier probably isn't as good as Robertson or Tripper but he IS one of our best players and anyone suggesting we should sell him for peanuts is off their head.

Since Tavernier signed for Rangers back in July 2015, he has started in 123 league games from a possible 128 games.

He's played a total of 11,060 minutes. In the 2015/16 season only Foderingham played more minutes. That was the same again in the 2016/17 season. Tavernier played the most minutes for us in the 2017/18 season and he's third behind Goldson and McGregor so far this season.

By comparison, the Scottish press gush about Kieran Tierney. He's supposedly interesting Juventus, Man Utd, (insert other big clubs names here)...

Here's KT's stats from the same seasons. Granted you have to take in account Tavernier's first season was in the Championship but we'll get an idea just how important Tavernier is to us....

KT's played a total of 7913 minutes. He's scored 5 goals and assisted a further 22.

Just to draw further comparison, I decided to look at other full backs who I consider to be highly rated at the moment.

I understand that these players play in leagues that are much tougher than the SPFL, but this isn't to compare the talents of players - It's more to show just how important Tavernier is to Rangers.

Kieran Tripper - Spurs

James Tavernier probably isn't as good as Robertson or Tripper but he IS one of our best players and anyone suggesting we should sell him for peanuts is off their head.

Not saying he doesnt create stuff for us. Dont actually think he is a bad player tbh, nor should we sell him for peanuts.

Its his mentality I have a problem with. Every big game he has been involved in over the last 3 years, he has been a failure. Not saying its always just his fault, but alot of games he has been to blame or involved in. He will never win anything meaningful with Rangers because he doesn’t have it for the big games. You can just tell he is scared stiff of playing the scum. Is that really who you want as Rangers captain?

Not saying he doesnt create stuff for us. Dont actually think he is a bad player tbh, nor should we sell him for peanuts.

Its his mentality I have a problem with. Every big game he has been involved in over the last 3 years, he has been a failure. Not saying its always just his fault, but alot of games he has been to blame or involved in. He will never win anything meaningful with Rangers because he doesn’t have it for the big games. You can just tell he is scared stiff of playing the scum. Is that really who you want as Rangers captain?

You said Tav is a failure.

The facts clearly show that he's one of our best players.

Your name is Gerrard55, if that's going to happen then we need to keep hold of our best players.

I'd rather keep them but if we get a good amount of money and the scouting staff are confident in their replacements then maybe. Only in the summer though.

Because it is a hypothetical question, you could sell them for £20m combined and bring in 3-4 new players that are of equal skill level.

This would please me.

Here's KT's stats from the same seasons. Granted you have to take into account Tavernier's first season was in the Championship but we'll get an idea just how important Tavernier is to us....

Kieran Tripper - Spurs

Kiernan Tierney - Celtic
In the last 3 seasons KT has scored or assisted a goal every 293 minutes

James Tavernier - Rangers
In JT's Rangers career he's scored or assisted a goal every 181 minutes

and if you take out the penalties?

i know what you're trying to say but he's not as good defensively as those two

Back