Lassana Coulibaly

I like him but he's got to calm down and pass the ball simply and his confidence would come back. He gained a cult following after that Osijek tackle where the guy done a backflip. As has been mentioned maybe an older head to help him would work.

The manager didn't help by labelling him a destroyer. He's on loan from a club like Angers for a reason.

Clearly has a bit of ability as shown early doors but these sort of players lack any real consistency and fade away for long spells of a season.
If he's pitched in against Celtic they will run rings round him, we need to get in their faces and I don't think he'll get it and we'll need pace in that area something he doesn't have.

Seen him during a set piece against us and he was talking and laughing with a vienna player,seems to lack concentration and looks disinterested sometimes,we don't need players with a losers mentality, we have had enough of that over the last few years.

Think he could still be a big player for us this season, I understand he had an injury and a family death sometimes that can have an effect, might come back the way he was after the break, altough ideally I hope he starts this weekend, still think he will be our best crack at stopping the tims midfield

The manager didn't help by labelling him a destroyer. He's on loan from a club like Angers for a reason.

Clearly has a bit of ability as shown early doors but these sort of players lack any real consistency and fade away for long spells of a season.

This is my issue with having so many young guys on loan - their inexperience will bite at some point.

There’s a bigger worry about how we go about replacing them all this summer, but that’s an elephant no one wants to acknowledge at the moment.

I agree. We need to give every player time.

But I also think we have ripped the arse right out of some of our younger loan players. Ejaria as an example. Going from no senior games to a mainstay of a club like ours and playing best part of 30 games before Xmas is a recipe for disaster
Coulibaly and Kent fall in to the same category.

Coulibaly and Kent fall in to the same category.
100%. The desperate need to win every game. One of the downsides of having to build a squad from scratch in the summer and trying to meet unrealistic expectations of us lot

The market we’re dealing in isn’t going to deliver finished articles. We need to accept that reshaping a squad with young lads and loan signings is going to mean taking a punt on guys.

I didn’t expect a 22 year old loanee from Angers to be Victor Wanyama. He’s on loan from a club like that for a reason.

There’s ability there and hopefully he gets over this dip in form in the 2nd half of the season.

I don’t think LC is as bad as made out. However he’s not the player we thought we’d unearthed either. Looked like we had a faster Wanyama on our hands in the first month or so.
Still has a big part to play

I don’t think LC is as bad as made out. However he’s not the player we thought we’d unearthed either. Looked like we had a faster Wanyama on our hands in the first month or so.
Still has a big part to play

He's never once looked like Wanyama and that's the problem. The support build a player up to be some thing they are clearly not.

He's never once looked like Wanyama and that's the problem. The support build a player up to be some thing they are clearly not.
I think in the first few appearances he did. Especially in Europe. He looked like the physical type that we had been crying out for.
As I say I still reckon he’s got a big part to play, he does the unfashionable stuff well, needs to improve with the ball

I remember the Chuck Norris thread about him. Something happened after the injury and 1st international break. He just hasn't been the same. He IS capable.

The more I read this forum im beginning to think Stevie G is actually the best manager in the world. A mean how many other managers take a team to a game away from qualifying from the group stages of Europa and still in a title race with a squad full of utter shite and hopeless players?
Actually love reading your threads and comments, always positive and that’s what we need!

He does his job well tbh he makes the runs and breaks up play its just he had am incredible start which lead to people expecting more than what he was consistenly capable of
His passing is terrible ... but maybe down to confidence? Not same player since injury.

His passing is terrible ... but maybe down to confidence? Not same player since injury.

For me that’s exactly what it is mate, confidence. Before injury he always wanted the ball and looked confident with it, still gave it away at times. Now it looks like hes lost belief in himself.

Think we also need to take into consideration his dad dying. Can we all imagine being same in our work if that happend to us?

There's an obvious pattern with the loans deals we are making. We sign and promising player and they start really well and we get excited. Then after a few weeks the form dips and never recovers. See Coulibaly, Zelalem, Ejaria, Goss, Hyndman, Ball...

The only exception I can see is Ryan Kent.

Think it's time to re-evaluate the amount of loans we currently rely on.

In retrospect we needed more experience to sit alongside the kids. We've asked a lot of inexperienced, untested players ...some still teenagers.

looked phenomenal before his injury .

Thursday night summed him up for me . absolute rank in the first half with very poor control and couldn't make a simple pass . had a much better second half although not outstanding .

there could be a player there though

Couliablly is a class act when on top form but like many his age, struggles for consistency and also struggles in the Scottish game a bit more than I thought he would.

imo he will never be a class act, his passing is not good enough, at his age passing can only get so much better.

It's amazing the amount of players who make it to top clubs that haven't mastered the basics of the game.

I remember the Chuck Norris thread about him. Something happened after the injury and 1st international break. He just hasn't been the same. He IS capable.

Is he? Where is the evidence that supports your argument?

Angers loaning a player out at 22 surely says to a degree that he's not going to turn out to be the next Wanyama (only using him as an example as others have and it's a good one to use)

In retrospect we needed more experience to sit alongside the kids. We've asked a lot of inexperienced, untested players ...some still teenagers.
We are a relatively young team, yeah the likes of Livingston and St Mirren also have young players but the expectations here are enormous in comparison. We need a better balance with experience and quality players in their mid 20's before we start thinking about getting young lads into the starting 11.

I think there is a tangible and understandable desperation amongst the support to believe that this is it, the moment has arrived, we're back to being a side capable of putting in a real challenge for the title again.

But that desperation leads to people jumping the gun. I remember seeing threads on here where people were doing the rate our summer signings out of ten - and the league season bad barely started! People rushing to acclaim most of the signing as brilliant successes long before anyone could really say for sure. Coulibaly is only one of many who got that treatment.

Should be sent packing back to his own club. Another dire loan that hasn't worked out. About 1 in 50 actually contribute, it's a waste of everyone's time. Enough's enough.

As a support, we're like that with almost everything, we're so up and down it's hard to keep up.

In my opinion this all stems from the hurt and shite we've been through over the last decade. We're desperate for someone, anyone, to come and change our fortunes and take us back to where we belong, it's been far too long.

Gerrard has the beating of Rodgers. Coulabally/ Barton/ Pena are going to destroy Brown.

I think we've finally found our manager but it's going to take a while longer to be where we need to be, no point throwing out brash statements. Let's be patient and see where it takes us.

The truth is we’re loaning players from poor teams and youth teams. It shouldn’t come as a shock when these guys don’t end up being world beaters.

People need to accept where we are. Very seldom are we going to be able to buy in genuine quality. In today’s market it’s almost impossible for us to do that anymore.

Instead we need to rely on our gaffer to make the overall unit greater than the sum of its parts. Coulibaly is not a top class player, but that doesn’t mean he can’t be part of a successful side. Leicester City’s side of 13/14 had Mahrez and Vardy but apart from that were loaded with some fairly average players. They still won the league.

We need to focus on the team unit rather than the individuals. And Gerrard is doing a good job of gelling a team together. There’s no reason why Coulibaly can’t be part of that.

I don't think he's that interested, he also seems to want to take too many touches when in possession (for the SPL).

Wouldn't miss him if he left. He doesn't give us anything more than a rossiter or a mccrorrie.

Agree with the fact we shouldn't judge players until they've played for a few months though. Or young players until they're about 23. I was excited about coulibaly pre injury too.

I don’t know why people think he is some sort of destroyer Kevin Thomson type. He played centre mid or attacking mid for Angers and ended his Bastia career as a regular right midfielder.

This is what he is.

Is he? Where is the evidence that supports your argument?

Angers loaning a player out at 22 surely says to a degree that he's not going to turn out to be the next Wanyama (only using him as an example as others have and it's a good one to use)

I'm not making an argument one way or the other. I merely stated that he played a number of good games at the start of the season up to the point he got injured. Did he not?

On Thursday night his performance was summed up by him passing it five yards to a player lying on the deck ffs?

I couldn’t really see what the fuss was about before he got injured to be honest, and have been baffled at what he offers since he came back.

Last edited:
Back