Bruno Alves still firing in the free kicks

Two belters against Dunfermline and Hibs last season.

The game against Dunfermline was truly magnificent, whole stadium bouncing. Just before he hit it, ‘Brunooooo, Brunoooo’. Bang, over the wall and in the back of the net.

At Sheffield in the pre season - him and Cardoso absolutely pinging passes 60-70 yards, one touch keepy up and volley back 60-70 yards.

Shame it never worked out fork either of them actually

Still amazes me that Murty mostly benched him in favour of Russell Martin, who was the worst CB I’ve ever seen.

Bruno has no pace but he was magnificent in the air. He won every single header and would have done a job for us this season in a better team.

I'm absolutely convinced there was a clause in Martin's loan deal that required him to play a certain number of games. He was THAT bad.

I did like Bruno but he wasn't suited to our game.
Member he came off at the chamber of secrets complaining of a hamstring.
Just didn't have it for us.

He did have a bad injury though mate. Jackson had an axe to grind for some reason and made out a guy who played top level v the best players in the world was scared of them. Why some of our own believed it, i’ll Never know.

I cannot ever work out why it should have so frustratingly went wrong ...given the obvious?
Personally, I said from day one, when you sign a player like Alves, you hand him the captain's shirt and make him part of the project with a huge responsibility for the outcome.
If he has it in him, he responds.
Alves for me would have responded.

Instead, Pedro made him a bit part player in a disjointed production.
That was for me the most fundamental error of Pedro's entire debacle.

Get the big things wrong and ffsake what chance do you have with the fine detail?

Last edited:
He did have a bad injury though mate. Jackson had an axe to grind for some reason and made out a guy who played top level v the best players in the world was scared of them. Why some of our own believed it, i’ll Never know.
Not saying he didn't just that i remember he came off there and hardly played for us after it.

Still amazes me that Murty mostly benched him in favour of Russell Martin, who was the worst CB I’ve ever seen.

Bruno has no pace but he was magnificent in the air. He won every single header and would have done a job for us this season in a better team.
Probably because Martin wasn't a centre back.

Alves in his prime was a great player. The high line we played at the time was a serious problem for him. He's probably more suited serie a where they play a bit deeper and the game is a bit slower.

Not saying he didn't just that i remember he came off there and hardly played for us after it.

He definitely had a poor time with injuries but he was fit for the tail end of the season and would have helped us massively.
I’ll never understand how anybody who wasn’t deliberately trying to humiliate us could pick Martin ahead of Alves. Murty should hang his head.

He was crap for us,could not believe how poor he was when he did play

Seeing that stadium brings back wonderful memories of that stadium. Especially the 2nd game there in August 99 in the Champions League Qualifiers.

Absolutely Scorching hot. One of my best bus trips. Then the result to top it off.

Was on the brink of a move to Juve in winter and has been one of the best defenders in Serie A statistically. Parma captain.

Not convinced Worrall has been better than Bruno would have been. Same goes for Declan John at left back to be honest.

The Alves we thought we were getting, and the Alves we actually got, were two very, very different players.

For some curious and bizarre reason, we saw very very little of the former, and far too much of the latter.

What a daft post.

Played at the highest level and in leagues far harder than the diddy league he’d joined, and yet people still love to imply that he just wanted to get off the park because a game at the piggery was just too much for him.

For what it’s worth, injures hampered him and an impatient support wouldn’t given him enough time even if he was fit. He still acted like more of a leader than the rest of the squad, and the fact we had Russell Martin playing ahead of him will probably haunt me for the rest of my days. An absolute diddy who couldn’t do the basics right, over a top class (albeit partially fit most of the time) centre half.

Last edited:
A liked big Bruno you could tell though he barely tried due to trying to keep fit for the world Cup. If we signed him after it I think we would have had a much better player on his day the big man's still got a touch of class about him.

He's better suited to a team used to being on the back foot, as Parma are these days. Facing lots of cross balls and playing a deep line

with us we are much more on the offensive in this league, and his relative lack of pace these days leaves him more exposed

I like the big man

He certainly does well with them. Sadly think the Scottish game just didn’t suit to the way he liked to play.

What a stupid fucking post.

Played at the highest level and in leagues far harder than the diddy league he’d joined, and yet people still love to imply that he just wanted to get off the park because a game at the piggery was just too much for him.

For what it’s worth, injures hampered him and an impatient support wouldn’t given him enough time even if he was fit. He still acted like more of a leader than the rest of the squad, and the fact we had Russell Martin playing ahead of him will probably haunt me for the rest of my days. An absolute diddy who couldn’t do the basics right, over a top class (albeit partially fit most of the time) centre half.
Russell Martin will haunt us all.

Always felt that he had one eye on the world cup when he was with us. Doesn't have to worry about that now.

Back