Craig Brown's world cup diary France 98

I own a copy of that. Bought for 99p out of WH Smith in the old Sauchiehall Centre

It's a great watch in the same way a car crash is.

Not one of them has any charisma onscreen whatsoever and Brown's monotone commentary is hilarious

And there isn't a single camera John Collins cannot spot.

I own a copy of that. Bought for 99p out of WH Smith in the old Sauchiehall Centre

It's a great watch in the same way a car crash is.

Not one of them has any charisma onscreen whatsoever and Brown's monotone commentary is hilarious
99p you will never get back.

Reactions: TQ3
It's like someone's left their video camera with their grandad and he then decided to try out some of that newfangled video technology and made this.

His boring voice talking, and then techno break for a training clip is brilliant :D

Of course, the real irony is that for all of Brown's wibbling nonsense he was the last national manager to get us to a tournament. Just underlines how much of a basket case Scottish football has been over the past few decades. And yet the powers that be just keep serving up the same shit and expect it to miraculously change...

I know we scored from the tactic in the recent Glasgow Cup Final but that move just before the 7 minute mark likely shows how Scottish Football coaching hasn't changed in 20 years (and likely hadn't changed in 20 years before that.

I vividly recall a 10 year old me and my father watching that last game v Morocco, him shouting "That'll be the only f*cking goal of the game!" when they went 1-0 up.

Is that Derek sodding Whyte I just clocked in the opening credits????

I'm bowled over that that lady's front bottom won any international caps, let alone found his way to a world cup.

This is, unintentionally, hilarious viewing.

Brown's laughably wooden narration reminds me of Father Stone, of Father Ted fame. It's even worse when swiftly followed by completely inappropriate techno music.

Gary Mac saying, pre-Brazil game ''I fancy us tomorrow'' while trying not to laugh.

Collins wearing sunglasses inside the airport while reading a French paper. A pretentious as well as a narcissistic fud.

Still working my way through the rest of it!

Paw Broon - an elite level sports coach - patting his fry-up-a-day belly as his opening gambit to impress the Parisian welcoming committee.

Paw Broon again playing mind games over the team selection for the first game.

Against Brazil.

Fucking BRAZIL!!!!

This is, unintentionally, hilarious viewing.

Brown's laughably wooden narration reminds me of Father Stone, of Father Ted fame. It's even worse when swiftly followed by completely inappropriate techno music.

Gary Mac saying, pre-Brazil game ''I fancy us tomorrow'' while trying not to laugh.

Collins wearing sunglasses inside the airport while reading a French paper. A pretentious as well as a narcissistic fud.

Still working my way through the rest of it!

Jonathan Gould at the Stade de France "Not as good as Celtic Park is it ?"

Celtic Park that was 3 sided at that point with a temporary stand behind the goal

My brother was interviewed on Skysports the day before, and the final question was “We know your a proud Scot and it’s a big game tomorrow, who do think will win!”
And my brother replied “Brazil.”
They both laughed and the commentator said “you’ll not be allowed home now.”

Remember this World Cup very well. Took a half day, like most of the Scottish population who were into football, played pool in the Lord Nelson then into Auctioneers for the game. Glasgow was buzzing before the typical ‘heroic’ defeat due to a Tom Boyd og.

Morroco and Norway drew that evening so we were still very much in it. Till we played again, and drew 1-1 with Norway and maybe could have sneeked it but Christian Dailly put a header across goal and it never found the corner of the net.

The Morroco game was a shambles and that was that.

Other memories, Romania beating England 2-1 in the group with the guy who injured John Kennedy scoring a late penalty, (Edit: that was Euro 2000 with the scorer, it was Dan Petrescu in 1998) Slaven Bilic acting like a big lady's front bottom getting Laurent Blanc sent off and of course the Ronaldo affair for the final.

Not bad anthem as well:

Totally worth it just to see how wooden and uncomfortable they all are when a camera is pointed at them

They even follow Burley to the hairdressers for his infamous bleached blonde haircut

In the Director’s Cut they follow him to the dentist for his infamous 2 tooth check up

I'm now on to Part 7. The absolute f ucking state of Chick Young.

Cheers to @uneasydaz for providing today's light entertainment. Glorious failure has never looked so good!

Craig Brown continues with his exclusive inside information:

''Kevin Gallacher was trying various pairs of boots to get the appropriate studs for the surface...'' zzzzzzzz

FFS!

:))

Heard them talking about this on the quickly Kevin podcast and decided to look it up

Quickly Kevin is a Brilliant Podcast!

It constantly reminds me of things I hadn’t thought of in 20+ years...like the Sensible world of Soccer tune on a recent pod :)

I still love watching all the old 90’s football documentaries too.

Did you find part 4??? I don't want to go onto part 5 until I've suffered the pain of part 4!

I couldn't find part 4 either, chief. Shame, really as I was quite absorbed with it all!

Brown on Morocco: ''Remember, you're far more experienced and far more professional than these guys.''

:( :))

Loved how he had to play a training game the day before the with no goalkeepers ..as Hodgkinson wouldnt give him any and told him they ar MY keepers

Brings back memories that does. Brown became a bit of a joke figure but still managed to get us to major finals. We are a million miles from that just now.

Reactions: VGM
Prof Hillis was a friend and colleague of mine. Nice catching a wee glimpse of him here and there on the film. He really was a good bear and is still missed by those of us lucky enough to have known him.
True story, the top man sneaked myself and 4 mates into the players lounge after the Norway match, when I say a players lounge it was a marquee at the back of the main stand.
He got us settled at a table and made sure the waiters kept ya in beer for the next 90 min. As you say what a man.

Come on Boys we only have to beat Morocco in our last game!
Interesting to look back and see we signed 4 of that Norway team further down the line!
For a bonus point we all know Durie was the lone Ranger that summer but which 3 members of that squad did we Go on to sign?
No cheating!

Craig Brown has the personality of a traffic cone and that's an insult to a traffic cone. Him and Alex Miller the dynamic duo.

True story, the top man sneaked myself and 4 mates into the players lounge after the Norway match, when I say a players lounge it was a marquee at the back of the main stand.
He got us settled at a table and made sure the waiters kept ya in beer for the next 90 min. As you say what a man.

I could tell so many stories of his fun and kind attitude, but it's not really appropriate on an open forum. But a proper old school gentleman and bluenose. A BB officer of longstanding too. And every single time I ran into him at work the conversation was about the Gers. He was also responsible for making sure we had a proper framework for research and support of people with congenital heart conditions, and screening of young footballers and other athletes. A significant contribution, which is sorely missed. Oh, and he was the first to rip the piss out of himself regarding Prodan. "You might wonder what a cardiologist would know about rheumatoid arthritis of the knee... and I've often asked myself the same question since...."

Come on Boys we only have to beat Morocco in our last game!
Interesting to look back and see we signed 4 of that Norway team further down the line!
For a bonus point we all know Durie was the lone Ranger that summer but which 3 members of that squad did we Go on to sign?
No cheating!

Hendry and Dailly are 2

Underrated comedy moment.

Colin Calderwood giving it big licks as he comes out the dressing room for the second half of the Norway game...only to walk in completely the wrong direction from the actual pitch.

Fud.

Quickly Kevin is a Brilliant Podcast!

It constantly reminds me of things I hadn’t thought of in 20+ years...like the Sensible world of Soccer tune on a recent pod :)

I still love watching all the old 90’s football documentaries too.

It's great they said they might do a special about this when they read the email out

Back