Tim Sherwood - certified football guru

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
He’s at it again. I always find the outrage over women getting punditry jobs quite amusing when you think about how absolute fannies like Sherwood are still getting work and in reality he’s not as anywhere near as good as the likes of Alex Scott. Christ it’s amazing to think guys like Phil Thompson lasted so long too, that’s before you even get to Merson, Shearer and some of the rest of them.

But Sherwood is definitely right up there at the top in the who’s who of tadgers that know the square root of fùck all as far as football outside of England goes.

A couple of gems today

Sherwood down south, Stewart up here.

Sadly, networks more and more are going for pundits that provoke and get tweets rather than provide genuine insight.

I also suspect they are briefed that that's the reason they're used and to play up to the narrative if they want to keep getting gigs.

He’s at it again. I always find the outrage over women getting punditry jobs quite amusing when you think about how absolute fannies like Sherwood are still getting work and in reality he’s not as anywhere near as good as the likes of Alex Scott. Christ it’s amazing to think guys like Phil Thompson lasted so long too, that’s before you even get to Merson, Shearer and some of the rest of them.

But Sherwood is definitely right up there at the top in the who’s who of tadgers that know the square root of fùck all as far as football outside of England goes.

A couple of gems today

Alex Scott and Melissa Ready are like Ernst Happel and Helenio Herrera compared to the likes of Merson and Nicholas.

Been that way for years. Brain dead fitba players who get gigs like that north and south of the border. They’re supposed to be in the know football wise because they’ve played the game but most of them barely have a grasp of the language let alone any kind of journalism skills

A degree educated journalist against an ex-pro is hardly a fair fight though if the weapons of choice are words, logic and reason.

I'm not a fan of Sherwood but I still think there is a place for ex -pros (although ending the clip with Ian Wright's continued war against the english language hardly helps my case).

It's really not that long ago that Andy Gray revolutionised punditry and I still think Souness is insightful even though he hasn't kicked a ball in 30 years.

The potential for a good blend exists, if Producers and TV Executives would stop treating punters with contempt. Polarising "shock-jock" pundits are generally boring.

Sherwood down south, Stewart up here.

Sadly, networks more and more are going for pundits that provoke and get tweets rather than provide genuine insight.

I also suspect they are briefed that that's the reason they're used and to play up to the narrative if they want to keep getting gigs.
Yup. Really hope we start to see less people getting a gig because they used to play football, so many good journalists/analysts out there who haven’t played the game before.

A degree educated journalist against an ex-pro is hardly a fair fight though if the weapons of choice are words, logic and reason.

I'm not a fan of Sherwood but I still think there is a place for ex -pros (although ending the clip with Ian Wright's continued war against the english language hardly helps my case).

It's really not that long ago that Andy Gray revolutionised punditry and I still think Souness is insightful even though he hasn't kicked a ball in 30 years.

The potential for a good blend exists, if Producers and TV Executives would stop treating punters with contempt. Polarising "shock-jock" pundits are generally boring.

It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that Souness would always be a vastly better option than Wright, Sherwood, etc.

Yup. Really hope we start to see less people getting a gig because they used to play football, so many good journalists/analysts out there who haven’t played the game before.
It’s about picking better pundits. You could pick 100 pundits from all walks of life before you would find a Souness.

Being an ex-pro isnt the issue. Its the type of ex-pro that always seem to get the gigs. Absolute brain deads wankstains who struggle to get a sentence out.

And if you are going to take a paying job as a pundit with one of the main broadcasters at least do some research or bring some insight that a journalist cant.

This is what stuck out for me. Winning a trophy is THE measure of success, unless you consider being in the top 4 of the epl so you can make more cash a success.
She is saying there that her measurements are basically non results based, i understand trophies arent the only thing that makes a success in football. Theres levels you can be successful at. Shes probably not a football person, I got the impression she thinks results based judgement is stupid.

English football is a basket case. I have arsenal supporting mates who celebrate winning the FA Cup like its the biggest prize in football, yet they are devastated when they dont make top 4. Similarly, seeing players prance around on the fucking pitch for scraping 4th place to edge their way into the CL is horrific in equal measure.

I dont get it.

Sherwood looks pished in those videos for what its worth.

Hell mend any cùnt for watching that shit live right enough. Dross from all quarters.

Sherwood came across poorly there (ignorant, condescending, "beat league ever" etc) but that female journalist didn't sound like any sort of football visionary to me, judging by the writing off of actually winning the FA cup. Attitude and change that she referenced would have meant sweet fanny if they didn't proceed to win the fucking thing.

To conclude, I am firmly in the "fuck modern football, it's Rangers only for me" section.

Sherwood is a moron, but that isn’t new news.

Reddy is, and has always been, an excellent journalist.

He’s an utter fanny. So is that Melissa Reddy

Her comments about Zidand on that programme are something else

My favourite Ian Wright punditry moment: a couple of World Cups ago after England had scored an excellent goal. At half-time Hansen said it was a decent goal not a great one. Ian Wright shot back with 'Hansen, you would be creaming yourself if Scotland scored that goal'. Lineker looked as if he was about to have an aneurysm.

Alex Scott and Melissa Ready are like Ernst Happel and Helenio Herrera compared to the likes of Merson and Nicholas.

They may not be the best of pundits but Merson is funny to watch sometimes when they rip into him. Sherwood is both sh*t and boring.

I like Sherwood; I used to follow Spurs for a time and so I appreciate how good he is. He isn't a manager, in my opinion, but he is a good coach. He was also a very good footballer; playing in the position he played in, he is bound to know the game.

"Delivering an RKO..."

"Winning a trophy is not a measurement of success"

Not any better than what that moron Sherwood said.

I get her point. Look at when Murty was our manager.

Folk were wanting to crown him as our permanent manager and the guy who holds the key to our long term future if he won the Scottish Cup. There was a point where if the draw was kind to him at the SF stage he could've won that trophy by beating Fraserburgh, Ayr, Falkirk, Motherwell and Aberdeen. All this while he presided over an absolute shitshow in the league.

I get her point. Look at when Murty was our manager.

Folk were wanting to crown him as our permanent manager and the guy who holds the key to our long term future if he won the Scottish Cup. There was a point where if the draw was kind to him at the SF stage he could've won that trophy by beating Fraserburgh, Ayr, Falkirk, Motherwell and Aberdeen. All this while he presided over an absolute shitshow in the league.
That’s surely a poor comparison - Arsenal dominated City in the semi-final and then Chelsea in the final.

From a short-term perspective, which is obviously applicable to Arteta, I think winning the FA Cup and Charity shield is a good gauge. She’s speaking shit.

That’s surely a poor comparison - Arsenal dominated City in the semi-final and then Chelsea in the final.

From a short-term perspective, which is obviously applicable to Arteta, I think winning the FA Cup and Charity shield is a good gauge. She’s speaking shit.

I was talking more about Sherwood's opinion on Emery winning the Europa League. Beating Qarabag and BATE Borisov is hardly a barometer of long term success at Arsenal.

Arteta also beat Liverpool and Man Utd in the league to strengthen his case.

To be fair I think that both of them are talking shit.

Sherwood is just talking pure ignorance and she it talking purist crap. “Success is not trophies” is absolute nonsense for top level managers.

A couple of gems today

Whilst Sherwood is a massive walloper the third tweet is utter shit.
"I dont see trophies as a sign of success"

I guess she is a pitch geography champion like Warburton

I was talking more about Sherwood's opinion on Emery winning the Europa League. Beating Qarabag and BATE Borisov is hardly a barometer of long term success at Arsenal.

Di Matteo at Chelsea is a good example of that as well. Everyone knew he'd be a disaster the following season despite them winning the UCL.

I get her point, albeit she doesn't put it across well. As an aside, I thought Reddy was absolutely terrible on TTFS back in the day.

Sherwood is just a weird, incomprehensible freak.

Reactions: SDF
Just show the game ffs. None of these pricks are anymore insightful than the average viewer.
It’s all total bollocks - and I include the sacred cow that is Souness in that. He’s cool as F88k but is just coming up with the same dull platitudes as every other ex pro in a good suit. I hate how it’s all presented like we plebs should be grateful to get these amazing thoughts and insights from such luminaries.

The only one I’d give pass marks to is Roy Keane who at least makes it entertaining and is prepared to break the rule of never pointing out the Premier League is sometimes absolute shite.

Sherwood isn’t just a poor pundit, he actually had the spurs job for a while! Mental.

Was worth it for the memes.

EiNW_8OWsAE0Sjx

It’s lazy wheeling out guys like Sherwood when there is a Spurs related story when he hasn’t got a clue about their new signing and the best insight he can offer is the lads is foreign so might take time to settle and can he do it on a cold night in (insert team from up north in EPL).

Di Matteo at Chelsea is a good example of that as well. Everyone knew he'd be a disaster the following season despite them winning the UCL.

I get her point, albeit she doesn't put it across well. As an aside, I thought Reddy was absolutely terrible on TTFS back in the day.

Sherwood is just a weird, incomprehensible freak.

Was it Sherwood who claimed he recommended Eriksen to Spurs when he was 18 years old after seeing him destroy England at Wembley in a game that didn't actually take place ? :D

She is saying there that her measurements are basically non results based, i understand trophies arent the only thing that makes a success in football. Theres levels you can be successful at. Shes probably not a football person, I got the impression she thinks results based judgement is stupid.
She's been a football journalist for years.

I get where she is coming from, she didn't word that part right. Of course trophies are a measurement of success but I get what she means with the other stuff and the impact Arteta has had.

A couple of gems today

I think it is a really interesting point that when a woman and/or POC is put into a pundit role there are accusations that they are only there for reasons of diversity, yet when someone like Sherwood is there, he gets slagged off for his opinions, but people don’t consider that he actually only has the job because the default still remains white men.

Fair enough - the analogy is correct then.

She's been a football journalist for years.

I get where she is coming from, she didn't word that part right. Of course trophies are a measurement of success but I get what she means with the other stuff and the impact Arteta has had.
Yep, trophies are not the only thing that makes someone a success. It depends what level youre talking about.

Saying winning the FA Cup isnt a measurement of success is nonsense though. Changing the 'culture' of a club like Arsenal means absolutely nothing if it doesn't bring rewards. If youre still not winning anything or finishing closer to the top of the table then youre no more successful than the man before. If Gerrard doesnt win a trophy, in fact if he doesnt win the league, he wont be seen as a success at Rangers because of the expectations of the job.

I know she is, what i meant by football person is i dont get the impression she grew up loving football.

Back