UB sing Hokey Cokey

https://www.scotsman.com/news/catholic-leaders-say-hokey-cokey-is-faith-hate-1-1152724

Catholic leaders say Hokey Cokey is 'faith hate'

SCOTS football fans who sing the Hokey Cokey could be committing a "faith hate" crime, senior Catholics warned yesterday. A spokesman for Cardinal Keith O'Brien, the leader of the Catholic Church in Scotland said the song – most often heard at kids parties and family gatherings – has "disturbing origins". They claim the tune was composed by Puritans during the 18th century in an attempt to mock the actions and language of priests leading Latin mass, and that its derisive overtones have been revived by football fans.

:rolleyes:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/catholic-leaders-say-hokey-cokey-is-faith-hate-1-1152724

Catholic leaders say Hokey Cokey is 'faith hate'

SCOTS football fans who sing the Hokey Cokey could be committing a "faith hate" crime, senior Catholics warned yesterday. A spokesman for Cardinal Keith O'Brien, the leader of the Catholic Church in Scotland said the song – most often heard at kids parties and family gatherings – has "disturbing origins". They claim the tune was composed by Puritans during the 18th century in an attempt to mock the actions and language of priests leading Latin mass, and that its derisive overtones have been revived by football fans.

:rolleyes:

Only time I have ever heard it sung at the football was when they sung it with the words 'ohh maca macavennie'

From 2008 , the SNPs pursuit of rangers fans has been going on for 10 years . Murdo Fraser from the Tories nails it at the end

The Hokey Cokey is an old novelty song that has been sung in music halls, at children's parties and at sherry-fuelled family gatherings for many years.
But according to the Catholic Church and some Scottish politicians, singing the popular tune that begins with the words "You put your right hand in, your right hand out," may constitute an act of religious hatred.

A spokesman for the leader of the church in Scotland said the song had disturbing origins.

Critics claim that Puritans composed the song in the 18th century in an attempt to mock the actions and language of priests leading the Latin mass.

Now politicians have urged police to arrest anyone using the song to "taunt" Catholics under legislation designed to prevent incitement to religious hatred.

Peter Kearney, a spokesman for Cardinal Keith O'Brien, said:

"This song does have quite disturbing origins. Although apparently innocuous, it was devised as an attack on and a parody of the Catholic mass.

"If there are moves to restore its more malevolent meaning then consideration should perhaps be given to its wider use."

According to the church, the song's title derives from the words "hocus pocus".

The phrase is said to be a Puritan parody of the Latin "hoc est enim corpus meum" or "this is my body" used by Catholic priests to accompany the transubstantiation during mass.

Several years ago, a canon from Wakefield Cathedral said the dance came from the days when priests celebrated mass with their backs to the congregation and whispered the Latin words of consecration with many hand movements.

Michael Matheson, the SNP MSP, said it was important that the police and football clubs were aware of the sinister background of the song and took action against groups who used it in matches.

But opposition politicians and football fans ridiculed the critics of the ditty. Murdo Fraser, deputy leader of the Scottish Tories, said: "I can't believe Scottish children performing the Hokey Cokey are doing so in pursuit of any sort of anti-Catholic agenda."

According to the Catholic Church .....

Oh yes, those frock-wearing, kiddie-fiddling deluded old goats.

Anything that offends any religion is to be applauded
They have had too much power and accorded far too much gravitas and respect for far too long
They thoroughly deserve permanent ridicule

This was always the so called ban that was/is the biggest joke. Rangers (and other fans) sung it as a micky taking response to the Mhanks stupid huddle. It is (or was in my day) a childrens party song. If we sang the Happy Birthday song to them they would find some way of being offended. I always thought it was the celic supporting , catholic former mp Jim Murphy that was behind all this several years ago. What a fool he made of himself being involved with such trivia. I didnt realise we had another fool that has taken over his mantle (Matheson). I had to look him up to see what he looked like.
I still find it unbelievable that we are so totally mis represented in that corrupt buiding known as Holyrood.

Latest posts

Back