‘I guess I’ll just have to put the scarf back in the cupboard’. Walter Smith didn't speak to Jim McLean for days when he turned down Rangers in 1983

Walter Smith didn’t speak to Jim McLean for days when he rejected the chance to replace John Greig as Rangers manager in 1983.

Smith, who died on Monday at the age of 73, would have walked bare-footed from Tannadice to Ibrox for the chance to join his beloved Rangers.

Thinking his chance of fulfilling a boyhood dream had gone forever, Smith was understandably distraught.

Smith started his coaching career under McLean in 1977 and was his right-hand man when United won the Premier Division in 1983.

The Rangers board turned to McLean in the tumultuous autumn of 1983 when John Greig was sacked following a five-year spell in charge.

Jim McLean.Jim McLean.
The Ibrox club thought they’d lured Alex Ferguson away from Aberdeen, only for an eleventh hour about turn by their target.

Then McLean was offered the position.

He initially indicated his willingness to leave Tannadice for Ibrox and even invited Smith to remain his number two and join him.

Then came the change of mind despite an offer to double his wages.

Walter was all ready to move with him to his boyhood idols, so no wonder he was annoyed.”
Derek Johnstone
He was sorely tempted but decided not to expose his family to the goldfish-bowl existence that came with the job.

Derek Johnstone was sitting on his own in the dressing room during a month’s loan spell from Chelsea when Smith burst in and lost the rag.

“He was obviously in a bad mood,” said Johnstone.

“He threw down a bag of balls and said: ‘I guess I’ll just have to put the scarf back in the cupboard’.

“He went on to explain United boss Jim McLean had just turned down the offer to replace John Greig as Rangers manager.

“Walter was all ready to move with him to his boyhood idols, so no wonder he was annoyed.”

A great coach in the making​

Johnstone’s first encounter with Smith was at Tannadice in 1967 when he was invited to train with United’s part-timers while he was still at Linlathen High.

Johnstone was soon signed by Rangers in 1968 and crossed paths with Smith more than once on the pitch.

Walter Smith in 1977, after being given a coaching role by Jim McLean at Tannadice.
During Johnstone’s month at Tannadice, he saw enough of Smith’s coaching ability to realise he’d make it to Ibrox on his own one day.

“That spell at Tannadice really opened my eyes, ” said Johnstone.

“Walter took most of the coaching at United, and he really knew what he was talking about.

“Everything was geared towards technique, whereas I’d been used to everything being geared towards fitness under big Jock Wallace at Ibrox.

“Right away I knew I was experiencing a great coach in the making.

“Walter treated everyone as individuals and knew how to bring the best out of players.”

Derek Johnstone at Rangers in the 1970/1971 season.
Eventually, Rangers had to bring back Jock Wallace, who had led the club to two trebles in three seasons in the 1970s.

Wallace never came close to attaining the same success second time round.

McLean later said: “As a football manager, I made the wrong decision to stay with United.

“But as an individual, I was right to stay at Tannadice and I’ve never regretted it.”

Three years later, however, Graeme Souness was named Rangers’ first player-manager and appointed Smith his number two.

Walter Smith finally got his move to Ibrox in 1986.Walter Smith finally got his move to Ibrox in 1986.
He’d won five league titles, three European Cups and four League Cups with Liverpool by the time he moved on to Sampdoria in 1984.

Souness was still contracted to the Italian side and Smith took charge of Rangers for the final three league fixtures of the 1985-86 season.

Smith’s first game as caretaker turned out to be Johnstone’s 547th and last outing for Rangers following his return for a second spell in 1985.

“We lost 2-1 to St Mirren at Love Street and Walter was furious,” said Johnstone.

“He had just arrived from Dundee United as assistant manager, and was in charge until Graeme Souness could get away from Sampdoria.

“I’ll never forget Walter blowing his top at time up.

“The result left us well adrift of Celtic, Hearts, Dundee United and Aberdeen, who were all fighting for the title.

“In fact, that defeat meant Rangers were left battling with Dundee for the final Uefa Cup spot.

“Right away Walter told the players major changes were on the cards.

“It was to be the start of the Rangers revolution, but sadly I had no part to play in it.”

One month later, Johnstone was freed.

The rest is history.

Rangers captain Terry Butcher kisses the Scottish Premier Division trophy in 1987.Rangers captain Terry Butcher kisses the Scottish Premier Division trophy in 1987.
Souness changed the landscape of Scottish football by persuading top-ranked English internationals like Terry Butcher, Trevor Steven and Ray Wilkins to go to Ibrox.

When Souness left to join Liverpool in 1991, Smith replaced him as manager and went on to lift 21 major trophies over two periods in charge.

Rangers emulated Old Firm rivals Celtic in winning nine titles in a row and were just one game away from reaching the Champions League final in 1993.

He also led Rangers to the Uefa Cup Final in 2008, losing 2-0 to Zenit St Petersburg.

McLean or Ferguson at their peak would've been interesting had they been given a budget & time.

That said, the Souness revolution was something else.
What helped souness enormously was David Holmes ripped up the restrictive wage structure at Ibrox.that wasn’t on offer to Ferguson and McLean. I have heard Rangers players from that era say in the past that with the bonus structure they had at Dundee Utd it meant that the players at tannadice we’re actually on more money than the Rangers players.

What helped souness enormously was David Holmes ripped up the restrictive wage structure at Ibrox.that wasn’t on offer to Ferguson and McLean. I have heard Rangers players from that era say in the past that with the bonus structure they had at Dundee Utd it meant that the players at tannadice we’re actually on more money than the Rangers players.
Yes DB.

Think Holmes was appointed at the tail end of '85 so most likely both Fergie & McLean wouldn't have been offered any real money to spend when they were approached by the board.

Ferguson especially for me would have been some appointment had he been backed.

The amount of talented managers back in those days were unreal, as already said, Jim McLean would have been interesting. It’s sad that we will never see another SCOTTISH type manager like that ever again, not for a long long time in my opinion.

If we hadn’t got Souness there would have no Murray and everything that came with him. On the other hand if we hadn’t got Souness we might have never got Walter.

Walter Smith didn’t speak to Jim McLean for days when he rejected the chance to replace John Greig as Rangers manager in 1983.

Smith, who died on Monday at the age of 73, would have walked bare-footed from Tannadice to Ibrox for the chance to join his beloved Rangers.

Thinking his chance of fulfilling a boyhood dream had gone forever, Smith was understandably distraught.

Smith started his coaching career under McLean in 1977 and was his right-hand man when United won the Premier Division in 1983.

The Rangers board turned to McLean in the tumultuous autumn of 1983 when John Greig was sacked following a five-year spell in charge.

Jim McLean.Jim McLean.
The Ibrox club thought they’d lured Alex Ferguson away from Aberdeen, only for an eleventh hour about turn by their target.

Then McLean was offered the position.

He initially indicated his willingness to leave Tannadice for Ibrox and even invited Smith to remain his number two and join him.

Then came the change of mind despite an offer to double his wages.

He was sorely tempted but decided not to expose his family to the goldfish-bowl existence that came with the job.

Derek Johnstone was sitting on his own in the dressing room during a month’s loan spell from Chelsea when Smith burst in and lost the rag.

“He was obviously in a bad mood,” said Johnstone.

“He threw down a bag of balls and said: ‘I guess I’ll just have to put the scarf back in the cupboard’.

“He went on to explain United boss Jim McLean had just turned down the offer to replace John Greig as Rangers manager.

“Walter was all ready to move with him to his boyhood idols, so no wonder he was annoyed.”

A great coach in the making​

Johnstone’s first encounter with Smith was at Tannadice in 1967 when he was invited to train with United’s part-timers while he was still at Linlathen High.

Johnstone was soon signed by Rangers in 1968 and crossed paths with Smith more than once on the pitch.

Walter Smith in 1977, after being given a coaching role by Jim McLean at Tannadice.
During Johnstone’s month at Tannadice, he saw enough of Smith’s coaching ability to realise he’d make it to Ibrox on his own one day.

“That spell at Tannadice really opened my eyes, ” said Johnstone.

“Walter took most of the coaching at United, and he really knew what he was talking about.

“Everything was geared towards technique, whereas I’d been used to everything being geared towards fitness under big Jock Wallace at Ibrox.

“Right away I knew I was experiencing a great coach in the making.

“Walter treated everyone as individuals and knew how to bring the best out of players.”

Derek Johnstone at Rangers in the 1970/1971 season.
Eventually, Rangers had to bring back Jock Wallace, who had led the club to two trebles in three seasons in the 1970s.

Wallace never came close to attaining the same success second time round.

McLean later said: “As a football manager, I made the wrong decision to stay with United.

“But as an individual, I was right to stay at Tannadice and I’ve never regretted it.”

Three years later, however, Graeme Souness was named Rangers’ first player-manager and appointed Smith his number two.

Walter Smith finally got his move to Ibrox in 1986.Walter Smith finally got his move to Ibrox in 1986.
He’d won five league titles, three European Cups and four League Cups with Liverpool by the time he moved on to Sampdoria in 1984.

Souness was still contracted to the Italian side and Smith took charge of Rangers for the final three league fixtures of the 1985-86 season.

Smith’s first game as caretaker turned out to be Johnstone’s 547th and last outing for Rangers following his return for a second spell in 1985.

“We lost 2-1 to St Mirren at Love Street and Walter was furious,” said Johnstone.

“He had just arrived from Dundee United as assistant manager, and was in charge until Graeme Souness could get away from Sampdoria.

“I’ll never forget Walter blowing his top at time up.

“The result left us well adrift of Celtic, Hearts, Dundee United and Aberdeen, who were all fighting for the title.

“In fact, that defeat meant Rangers were left battling with Dundee for the final Uefa Cup spot.

“Right away Walter told the players major changes were on the cards.

“It was to be the start of the Rangers revolution, but sadly I had no part to play in it.”

One month later, Johnstone was freed.

The rest is history.

Rangers captain Terry Butcher kisses the Scottish Premier Division trophy in 1987.Rangers captain Terry Butcher kisses the Scottish Premier Division trophy in 1987.
Souness changed the landscape of Scottish football by persuading top-ranked English internationals like Terry Butcher, Trevor Steven and Ray Wilkins to go to Ibrox.

When Souness left to join Liverpool in 1991, Smith replaced him as manager and went on to lift 21 major trophies over two periods in charge.

Rangers emulated Old Firm rivals Celtic in winning nine titles in a row and were just one game away from reaching the Champions League final in 1993.

He also led Rangers to the Uefa Cup Final in 2008, losing 2-0 to Zenit St Petersburg.
"The result left us well adrift of Celtic, Hearts, Dundee United and Aberdeen, who were all fighting for the title."

X4 uefa cup places?

Perhaps a sliding doors moment in Walters life as who knows how that would have worked out?

That it isn’t it mate. Total sliding doors.

Alex Ferguson or McLean, both incredible managers, might not have worked.

Even with Murray and everything that came, I’m glad it went the way it did, warts and all, because we got Walter Smith and everything else that came with it. Souness revolution with all those superstars and then Walter with Laudrup and Gascoigne. To quote the latter - “i’d do those years over and over for the rest of my life”.

McLean or Ferguson at that time would have taken us to another level, but then the Souness revolution wouldn’t have happened.

"The result left us well adrift of Celtic, Hearts, Dundee United and Aberdeen, who were all fighting for the title."

X4 uefa cup places?
Aberdeen won the Scottish cup and went into the ecwc which meant finishing 5th in a ten team league meant you qualified for Europe and it was by the skin of our teeth we pipped Dundee to fifth.we won a really valuable point at pittodrie the second last game of the season and Walter was in charge of the team in that game

Aberdeen won the Scottish cup and went into the ecwc which meant finishing 5th in a ten team league meant you qualified for Europe and it was by the skin of our teeth we pipped Dundee to fifth.we won a really valuable point at pittodrie the second last game of the season and Walter was in charge of the team in that game
I remember it was close but a quick look on Wiki there and we pipped Dundee by 1 goal, with a negative tally of -5 to their -6...

Heady days!

If memory serves, there were two Uefa Cup berths via the Premier League. A third was for winning the League Cup.

Reactions: TNT
Who does Fergie think he is? Derek McInnes?
It would’ve been interesting to observe who Ferguson would’ve taken to Ibrox. McLeish would’ve probably been a cert. Willie Miller too?

Looking back, I was glad we didn’t get wee Jim. Fergie on the other hand? Many of us were nonplussed.

I remember it was close but a quick look on Wiki there and we pipped Dundee by 1 goal, with a negative tally of -5 to their -6...

Heady days!
We had to win or draw last game of season v Motherwell and Walter and GS were welcomed on to pitch. We won 2-0 we were quite happy ......till went out and found out score from Dens and Hearts lost. Anyway a week later they won first trophy against the parkhead club 3-0 McCoist hat trick - he wasn't super then and the beginning of a new successful era!

Last edited:

Heady days!
Dundee v hearts was heading towards a 0-0 draw at dens which would have been enough to win the league.a rumor swept Dundee that motherwell had scored at Ibrox to equalize and Dundee went for it as a win would get them into Europe and got the two goals that handed the title to the yahoos

It would’ve been interesting to observe who Ferguson would’ve taken to Ibrox. McLeish would’ve probably been a cert. Willie Miller too?

Looking back, I was glad we didn’t get wee Jim. Fergie on the other hand? Many of us were nonplussed.
John Grieg tried to get Willie Miller to Ibrox in the early 80’s.i definitely remember reading that we were in for miller

Scottish type managers, no mention of Jock Wallace, he was the quintessential description of a Scottish manager. Hard as they come. Not many relished the Gullane Dounes.

Willie Miller is on record as saying had he moved to Ibrox when given the chance he would have made only £10 extra per week. As he was going to be made team captain he was going to have to write a weekly column in the local paper and the money would have come from that...not even from the club. Meanwhile at Aberdeen he was reaching European finals and winning virtually everything which I guess he thought was better than a tenner a week.

Fergie was 1st preference for most fans. Because Calimero played for us, Glum Jum seemed a shoe-in, if 2nd choice. By the time he knocked us back, Big Jock felt like our last hope. Did his 'Well side not scud us 3-0 at Fir Park just before Jock returned?

X4 uefa cup places?
No.

Rangers finished 5th and qualified for the UEFA Cup.

Totally different then to now. Lots more teams involved now.

Aberdeen beat Hearts in the Cup Final meaning they qualified for the Cup Winners Cup.

Aberdeen also won the league cup which also had a UEFA Cup place for the winners.

The following season, Dundee Utd got to the UEFA Cup final.

Back