£600,000 - What Murty has spent since taking over as manager

The 15k a week and 1.5m fee we spent on garbage like Herrera should go towards a manager.

We're 3 or 4 players away from genuinely competing

You could spend £10m on the squad and still get picked off if you surrender midfield to a superior team with your set up.

What Murty has spent since taking over as manager.

He's has to rebuild the centre half and midfield pairings.

It's probably worth remembering how much Walter spend on his return to win the league.

Just saying........
You make a great observation there,

Guys are right though we should have won but where they are wrong is blaming murty for it, it was mistakes that cost us ultimately.

The op is spot on in highlighting just how well murty has done with so little being spent, I can only imagine what he wouldve done with ten mil ffs,

We need to give murty a break.
He has given us the confidence to believe we can actually beat celtic in the first place and if the past has shown us........ we should be very careful with what we wish for, stability and steady progress is what we need and that is what we've had so far with murty.

With a full pre-sseason and money to spend on his own players, I believe we will challenge celtic and we cant realistically expect more than that considering how much celtic will spend to stay ahead and anybody else who suggests the board gets sack should sleep it off for a while fs.

We cannot afford to give Murty the time it's going to take him to learn how to be a manager.
I agree it was a desperate gamble by the board at the time. I hope they have someone decent lined up for the summer.
No harm to Murty, he stood up when asked and that takes balls, but the Rangers manager’s job shouldn’t be one to cut your teeth in.

Should’ve have made subs and if he doesn’t realise this after watching back he isn’t the man for the job, I like Murty but I’m not convinced he is a Rangers manager.

We cannot afford to give Murty the time it's going to take him to learn how to be a manager.

This is your answer.

An experienced manager would have made a positive sub at the sending off to win the game.

An experienced manager would not constantly play a formation with 2 wide players and the luxury that is Windass. An experienced manager knows you need to win midfield battle to win the game.

Is this seriously a ‘Murty Out’ thread?? You have to be kidding? The guy has worked wonders, it’s down to him and his team that we were going into the game today with a belief not felt since Walter.

Biggest matches at Ibrox against Hibs and Celtic he loses. Lost due to the midfield getting over run and over fought. He doesn’t have the experience for the job and we don’t have the time to wait for him to learn from his mistakes.

I’m not slagging the guy off here cause he’s done a job under difficult circumstances.

But that’s 4 home defeats since he took over and that’s not good enough.

He’s got a squad of players that probably cost around £10-12 million at his disposal compared to teams who have probably not spent that in the last 15 years combined.

Let’s not forget as well that Hearts turned over that mob 4-0 with two 16 year olds in the team.

Sorry just not good enough for me, Murty gives his all for the club but if we want to be serious about ever getting the title back we need better.

You make a great observation there,

Guys are right though we should have won but where they are wrong is blaming murty for it, it was mistakes that cost us ultimately.

The op is spot on in highlighting just how well murty has done with so little being spent, I can only imagine what he wouldve done with ten mil ffs,

We need to give murty a break.
He has given us the confidence to believe we can actually beat celtic in the first place and if the past has shown us........ we should be very careful with what we wish for, stability and steady progress is what we need and that is what we've had so far with murty.

With a full pre-sseason and money to spend on his own players, I believe we will challenge celtic and we cant realistically expect more than that considering how much celtic will spend to stay ahead and anybody else who suggests the board gets sack should sleep it off for a while fs.

Too sensible. Come back and post this on Wednesday and it'll get the appreciation it deserves.

Goss was being pulled wide by the big australian boy time and time again, it meant we were exposed!
I could see it but he did nothing!
At 11 v 11 windass was offering very little after his goal - again, he did nothing!
At 11 v 10 it was obvious they would narrow the game, he did nothing until we went 3-2 down!

Murty is a nice guy but not our long term solution! The home form alone tells us that

Anyone wanting him chased after that is daft.

We see what happens for the rest of the season. Unless we completely collapse and don't even finish 2nd he will get the job.
I wanted him chased after the debacles of Hamilton Dundee st Johnstone hibs .

Just look at the change in Kilmarnock's fortunes with Steve Clarke in charge another team who's beaten us .

Murty I hope is never heard of again as our manager after season ends.

I’m not slagging the guy off here cause he’s done a job under difficult circumstances.

But that’s 4 home defeats since he took over and that’s not good enough.

He’s got a squad of players that probably cost around £10-12 million at his disposal compared to teams who have probably not spent that in the last 15 years combined that he’s dropped points to.

Let’s not forget as well that Hearts turned over that mob 4-0 with two 16 year olds in the team.

Sorry just not good enough for me, Murty gives his all for the club but if we want to be serious about ever getting the title back we need better.

It wasn't Murty who spent around £10-12 million on them and if the guys who did had better judgement they'd still be here.

Since he got to do some surgery he's lost to Hibs and today. I'm glad the Bheggars have spent less than £12m in 15 years.

As far as "better" goes. Great if Pep wants the job, c'ya GM and thanks. But we took about 10 weeks to come up with Derek McInnes as the best realistic option. If you think Del or someone of that standard is a step forward think again.

Sorry - that read as more personal than I intended. I just think there needs to be a line drawn between the team pre-xmas and how they look now. I think Murty has done a really good job to take that team which had zero belief and improve them by bigger strides than any window in recent memory. Both recruitment and the mini pre-season in Florida were terriffic, byut he's coming from a position where after the first OF game of the season I thought we were 3 years away from challenging to imo one window away from a real battle next year. I think we'd be dumb to throw that speed of improvement away.

Last edited:
He’s done well in that window. He should go back to his youth job with our thanks in summer.

No he shouldn`t! I think he got it wrong tactically today, but he was charged with finishing second in the league and I think he`ll achieve that. As far as I`m concerned, anything else is a bonus, so let`s wait till the end of the season to see how we fare before condemning the manager to the gallows.

No he shouldn`t! I think he got it wrong tactically today, but he was charged with finishing second in the league and I think he`ll achieve that. As far as I`m concerned, anything else is a bonus, so let`s wait till the end of the season to see how we fare before condemning the manager to the gallows.
He’s not s a football manager. Literally he isn’t, he’s a youth coach. I am thankful for his efforts, he’s sorted out a mess Pedro left and well done to that. But we need as good a manager as we can get.

This small time bollocks of “as long as were second” can gtf too.

It wasn't Murty who spent around £10-12 million on them and if the guys who did had better judgement they'd still be here.

Since he got to do some surgery he's lost to Hibs and today. I'm glad the Bheggars have spent less than £12m in 15 years.

As far as "better" goes. Great if Pep wants the job, c'ya GM and thanks. But we took about 10 weeks to come up with Derek McInnes as the best realistic option. If you think Del or someone of that standard is a step forward think again.

Yes he’s lost today and to Hibs by far his two biggest tests since the window.

Other than that it’s hardly like we’ve been up against Real Madrid since the turn of the year these were all games we should have won anyway no matter who was in charge.

If you think an untested youth coach is really the long term answer to stopping them winning the league next season then I don’t know what to say really.

In 1997 when we were light years ahead of them they brought in a manager to stop 10 in a row and with probably less money than we have now that’s what we need to do rather than hoping Murty comes good in 18 months time.

today they went down to ten men they brought on a striker then who won them the game Murty looked clueless and did nothing.
It's not a case of money it's making decisions or not making them when needed.

Yes he’s lost today and to Hibs by far his two biggest tests since the window.

Other than that it’s hardly like we’ve been up against Real Madrid since the turn of the year these were all games we should have won anyway no matter who was in charge.

If you think an untested youth coach is really the long term answer to stopping them winning the league next season then I don’t know what to say really.

In 1997 when we were light years ahead of them they brought in a manager to stop 10 in a row and with probably less money than we have now that’s what we need to do rather than hoping Murty comes good in 18 months time.

They didn't stop 10 in a row as much as we imploded spectacularly. Allowing Smith to coast through the season after Gothenburg was a complete disaster. Our discipline in all areas disappeared totally.

They had players like Larsson, Burley, Lambert, Thom, Stubbs, McStay, Wieghorst, Boyd, Johnson, McNamara etc. Not world beaters but they were buying players from Serie A, Bundesliga, EPL and Holland. We're getting loan players from QPR and today we're throwing them under a bus.

Why are you just saying? Against 10 men at home for half an hour at 2-2 and lose 3-2.

Just saying.......
Knew we were going to concede another after that red, we inevitably pressed and they exposed us.

That's no reason to write Murty off. We have improved under him and will continue to do so.

They didn't stop 10 in a row as much as we imploded spectacularly. Allowing Smith to coast through the season after Gothenburg was a complete disaster. Our discipline in all areas disappeared totally.

They had players like Larsson, Burley, Lambert, Thom, Stubbs, McStay, Wieghorst, Boyd, Johnson, McNamara etc. Not world beaters but they were buying players from Serie A, Bundesliga, EPL and Holland. We're getting loan players from QPR and today we're throwing them under a bus.

Septic spent the hardly earth shattering sum of £2.5m that season compared to our spend of almost £14 million.

Footballs not all about who spends the most as that season proved.

Until we actually get a proper manager in who can change a game then nothing will change we’ll be fighting it out with Aberdeen for 2nd place forever.

5 SPFL defeats for Murty now in probably one of the worst leagues in Europe that’s not good enough for Rangers.

Do you think a cautious coach like Walter Smith makes the change to go two up top with 25 to play? I don't ........
?
Smith would have changed it at half time after seeing Doherty / Goss being outnumbered. I like Murty he is a great servant for the club, long term Gers manager - a simple No.

ps the dims did make a change and u know the rest - we got the game handed to us on a plate with the sending off and blew it :-(

Septic spent the hardly earth shattering sum of £2.5m that season compared to our spend of almost £14 million.

Footballs not all about who spends the most as that season proved.

Until we actually get a proper manager in who can change a game then nothing will change we’ll be fighting it out with Aberdeen for 2nd place forever.

5 SPFL defeats for Murty now in probably one of the worst leagues in Europe that’s not good enough for Rangers.

What is a "proper manager"?

If it's an experienced manager then the ones we can afford have all been found out. They're available because they aren't very good.

The good ones are going to EPL on wages that dwarf our transfer budget. And they still lose games. Because players make mistakes.

Rogers didn't stay unbeaten for ages because he's a great manager. He did it because he has more better players than everyone else. Murty loses games because his squad still contains a load of guys who aren't good enough. The squad is improving so we're losing less and winning more.

For all the criticism of where Murty got it wrong today I haven't heard one coherent argument of a better alternative than the side he picked. Can he conjure up another CB when Bates goes off? Was there a guy sitting on the bench who could have given us Windass' attacking threat but still make up the man shortage and be a physical presence in midfield. The bheggars have 2 players like that (Armstrong and Rogic). We don't have any.

He could have changed the shape totally - played a much more negative game and you'd be calling for his head anyway.

Biggest matches at Ibrox against Hibs and Celtic he loses. Lost due to the midfield getting over run and over fought. He doesn’t have the experience for the job and we don’t have the time to wait for him to learn from his mistakes.

Or lost by the shocking misses of morelos
Not Murtys fault he can't seem to score simple tap ins

Murty has done well under very difficult circumstances and may well go on to become a very good manager but I get the feeling what we need is someone that is a good manager now, he has to win the cup now IMHO to be here after the summer

Show me another manager who has had a better positive reaction this season than Steve Clarke

Can't say I would have picked him as rangers manager. Yet the turnaround in Kilmarnock's fortunes is night and day .

Murty has had loads of absolute bullshit results not just today's.

What is a "proper manager"?

If it's an experienced manager then the ones we can afford have all been found out. They're available because they aren't very good.

The good ones are going to EPL on wages that dwarf our transfer budget. And they still lose games. Because players make mistakes.

Rogers didn't stay unbeaten for ages because he's a great manager. He did it because he has more better players than everyone else. Murty loses games because his squad still contains a load of guys who aren't good enough. The squad is improving so we're losing less and winning more.

For all the criticism of where Murty got it wrong today I haven't heard one coherent argument of a better alternative than the side he picked. Can he conjure up another CB when Bates goes off? Was there a guy sitting on the bench who could have given us Windass' attacking threat but still make up the man shortage and be a physical presence in midfield. The bheggars have 2 players like that (Armstrong and Rogic). We don't have any.

He could have changed the shape totally - played a much more negative game and you'd be calling for his head anyway.

Murty won't ever win a league title as Rangers manager that might be harsh for some to hear but it's the truth.

So the two choices we face are sit around and do nothing till that other mob make it ten in a row or start scouring Europe for a gaffer that might be looking for the challenge of restoring Rangers.

We can easily afford 15-20k a week to try and get the right guy in considering the money we are/were paying dross like Pena and Niko.

Rather than spending £2m on a player this summer I'm pretty sure we could find a manager better than Murty for that kind of money.

Show me another manager who has had a better positive reaction this season than Steve Clarke

Can't say I would have picked him as rangers manager. Yet the turnaround in Kilmarnock's fortunes is night and day .

Murty has had loads of absolute bullshit results not just today's.
Aye and if murty employed the same tactics as Kilmarnock do people would still want him sacked anyway.

Graeme Murty has done a great job...a real find,this result changes zilch.

It is time the usual FF knee jerk posters recognized that fact .

Forget Jimmy Nic or Walter or whatever ghost coach you want to give credence to whenever a result goes our way.

With minimal investment Graeme has taken us forward very significantly.

We were without Bates,Jack,Dorrans and Mc Crorie today.

We do not have anything near their level of investment,budget , wages structure or squad depth...but we are getting there.

You do not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Not stating that Murty is the answer, but if he wins the cup and gets 2nd place he’ll get the job. I wouldn’t be unhappy with that, but there will be those who are.

So far as the v 10 men thing goes... Walter’s team (jelavic et al) were outplayed by Celtic’s 10 in 2011 cup match at Ibrox. Anything can happen and managers can legislate for the odd mistake, but not missing from a yard out. Every appointment is a gamble. Many forget that.

Back