‘’ Strike Me Deid If It’s No True The Rangers Have Beaten The Celtic’’.

The Moonlighter

241qd50.jpg

Yesterday we highlighted the historical link with the Viceroy Bar at 22 Paisley Road West and Rangers Legend Tom Vallance’s Club Restaurant.

Here’s a gem of a story of an ‘’Urchin’’ who raced from Hampden to Tom’s restaurant to tell those gathered outside some wonderful news.

https://www.thefounderstrail.co.uk/single-post/2017/09/06/“Strike-me-deid-if-it’s-no-true”

On a similar theme. Was the RS McColl who played for us the same man of newsagent fame?

On a similar theme. Was the RS McColl who played for us the same man of newsagent fame?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Smyth_McColl

Robert Smyth McColl (13 April 1876 – 1959) was a Scottish footballer who played as a centre forward.

He started his career at Queen's Park in 1894. McColl represented the Scottish League in 1901.[1] He later played for Newcastle United. McColl remained in Newcastle for 3 years, and returned to play for Rangers in 1905. He returned to Queen's Park in 1907, although the 'return' of his amateur status had to be decided by the board of the club beforehand. McColl finished his football career in 1912, scoring 6 goals in his final game against Port Glasgow Athletic, a Scottish scoring record which stands to the present day.

McColl played 13 games and scored 13 goals for the Scotland national football team. He was inducted into the Scottish Football Hall of Famein November 2011.[2]

McColl is now better known for lending his name to the newsagent chain RS McColl, which he set up in 1901 with his brother Tom. Due to this he became known as 'Toffee Bob'. He served as a sergeant in the Royal Army Service Corps during the First World War.

Robert Smyth McColl (13 April 1876 – 1959) was a Scottish footballer who played as a centre forward.

He started his career at Queen's Park in 1894. McColl represented the Scottish League in 1901.[1] He later played for Newcastle United. McColl remained in Newcastle for 3 years, and returned to play for Rangers in 1905. He returned to Queen's Park in 1907, although the 'return' of his amateur status had to be decided by the board of the club beforehand. McColl finished his football career in 1912, scoring 6 goals in his final game against Port Glasgow Athletic, a Scottish scoring record which stands to the present day.

McColl played 13 games and scored 13 goals for the Scotland national football team. He was inducted into the Scottish Football Hall of Famein November 2011.[2]

McColl is now better known for lending his name to the newsagent chain RS McColl, which he set up in 1901 with his brother Tom. Due to this he became known as 'Toffee Bob'. He served as a sergeant in the Royal Army Service Corps during the First World War.
Smashing, I assume he would have been our most successful business man after hanging up his boots. (In a career away from football)

The only Scot I believe to get a hatrick against England, though I dont think when he was with us.

A brilliant story of how much the Rangers has always meant to the people of Glasgow. One day our training complex will be re-named Vallance Park, as it surely should be. And while I'm at it, the Gallant Pioneers Stand would be fitting for the Copland.

Wow, did not know this.

What's fascinating is William Craig appointed William Wilton as manager and Wilton signed McColl.

They rest together.

Take great pride in telling any hire I take to Trades House in Glassford St that The Rangers 1st ever Manager William Wilton was appointed in there. (learned on The Founders Trail, do it if you haven't)

Look at that building every time with a little affection now.

The song they sung would have to have been Follow, Follow surely?
Unfortunately there is no record of when Follow Follow was first sung by the support.

We also have details of a Club "Annual Hop" held in the Queens Rooms in 1875 which says " The proceedings of the evening were greatly added to by the ladies and gentleman present giving a few songs and recitals".

Again frustratingly it doesn't say what they sang.

I'm sure the Rangers fans sang the song to the tune of, but different words?

Cheers Iain
I've wondered about what words the fans sang back in the day, as with its references to Edinburgh and the Italian imposter C. E. Stuart, it doesn't seem likely it was sung with the original lyrics. If anyone can enlighten me please I'd be more than grateful. Another case for the FFDA!

Back