‘Do you know anybody who’s looking to take over a football club?’ Geoff Brown delivers brutal verdict on St Johnstone ownership

Bonnyloyal

The Perth businessman rescued the cash-crippled club from the brink of bankruptcy more than 30 years ago.

He handed the reins to son Steve eight years ago, when a new-look board appointed Steve Lomas in succession to departing boss Derek McInnes.

But Brown Sr is still Saints‘ major shareholder.

And he sympathises with Steve, who recently revealed he isn’t contemplating a dynasty at McDiarmid Park.

Speaking to the BBC at the weekend, Brown Jr said: “I don’t want my family to come into it. They have promised me they won’t.

“It is a lot of sacrifices. It is the nature of the beast. But I wouldn’t wish it on my kids.”

The Saints chairman, who has warned Perth fans to brace themselves for “heavy losses”, plans to withdraw from the frontline

Brown Sr said: “I can understand why Steve is getting fed-up with it.

“I suppose you could say he is getting browned-off after all these years. Steve is just being honest with his comments.

“Let’s face it, who would spend the amount of time, unpaid, that both Steve and I have spent on St Johnstone down the years?

“It is hard going. It always has been. The stakes are so high but you can’t wash your face financially.

“If we hadn’t had other projects to bring some cash into the club, we’d have gone bust years ago.”

Brown Sr – who steered Saints from the depths of Scottish football and pushed through the move from Muirton to McDiarmid – admitted it was dispiriting that the historic 2014 Scottish Cup triumph didn’t reap long-term rewards.

“It’s depressing to say the least when you can’t even get 1,500 season ticket holders signed up after all the success the club has had,” he said.

“And I can’t think of anything we haven’t tried to improve.”

So what does the future hold for Saints when the Brown era eventually draws to a close?

“I wish I did have a plan going forward,” he admitted.

“Do you know anybody who is looking to take over a football club? There’s fans’ control at Motherwell and they have been fortunate in selling a number of players, with sell-ons.

“It’s coming at Hearts and St Mirren. But Hearts are a big city club. In general terms, I don’t see it as the way forward.

“There is absolutely no chance of that model working for St Johnstone.

“Go back to 1986 when we held a rights issue. We got a total of just over £10,000. That showed you the demand to get involved at St Johnstone financially.

Credit where credit is due,to brown senior for keeping them where they are!
Sympathy?, the way their crap support carried on Sunday, not a chance, another SNP, supporting anyone but Rangers club.

The writing is on the wall and has been for years .

If we don’t somehow get out of Scottish football , whether it’s to England or a european set up , the whole game will collapse and die within ten years and we will be up shit creek .

We currently have two big clubs and the rest heading for Irish league or junior level . It’s grim .

The writing is on the wall and has been for years .

If we don’t somehow get out of Scottish football , whether it’s to England or a european set up , the whole game will collapse and die within ten years and we will be up shit creek .

We currently have two big clubs and the rest heading for Irish league or junior level . It’s grim .

Its a pity no one in authority can see the bleeding obvious. We have one of the least competitive leagues in the world with over 90% of titles shared between 2 teams.

The ONLY solution is to share the limited resources more evenly AND introduce a Scottish professional footballers salary scale.

These two moves would allow the "diddy" teams to develop young exciting competitive teams and maybe give us genuine competition. Nothing else will save the game here.

I raised this years ago with Keevins and the thick bastard claimed it was "communism".

The point is sport isnt worth watching without competition and we dont have this in Scotland.

Please dont bother telling me about other leagues. None come near ours for lack of competition.

Its a pity no one in authority can see the bleeding obvious. We have one of the least competitive leagues in the world with over 90% of titles shared between 2 teams.

The ONLY solution is to share the limited resources more evenly AND introduce a Scottish professional footballers salary scale.

These two moves would allow the "diddy" teams to develop young exciting competitive teams and maybe give us genuine competition. Nothing else will save the game here.

I raised this years ago with Keevins and the thick bastard claimed it was "communism".

The point is sport isnt worth watching without competition and we dont have this in Scotland.

Please dont bother telling me about other leagues. None come near ours for lack of competition.

Excellent post .

I await the “ but but but in Spain only two teams ever win it “ brigade .

Whatever my personal feelings are regarding the club and certain of its supporters their Board's running of that club is nothing short of impressive, miraculous even.

To do what they've done despite the severe apathy of the Perthshire public is quite something (even gave them a trophy winning team).

Last edited:

There are currently 10 leagues in Europe where the winners have won 6 titles or more in a row. This isn't just a scottish problem. Eufa should be worried but they dont give a monkeys.

It's sad but the reality is we and Celtic are too big for this league but there is nowhere for us to go. If we both were in a European league and the Scottish League continued without us it would be more competitive ,not a higher standard , and you would more than likely get higher attendances

People don’t like it because it is counter intuitive and doesn’t fit in with the “fu.ck the lot of them” logic but we need to ensure the revenue is distributed so that the smaller teams are effectively subsidised by ourselves and Celtic.

Therea no point in you and your neighbour having 2 stunning 9 bedroom mansions if your neighbours are living in decrepit squalor in a trailer park ffs. That does not a great neighbourhood make and only devalues your own property in the long term.

First thing we should have done this season was pool some of the Europa money with the mentally challengeds and force every club in the top flight to get a grass park.

There are currently 10 leagues in Europe where the winners have won 6 titles or more in a row. This isn't just a scottish problem. Eufa should be worried but they dont give a monkeys.

We're the worst and its all down to how the money is distributed. In the EPL if a team qualifies for the CL they can spend 30 million on a new player. When Celtic qualify they can use the 30 million to buy a couple of bottom six clubs. Its nonsense.

It's sad but the reality is we and Celtic are too big for this league but there is nowhere for us to go. If we both were in a European league and the Scottish League continued without us it would be more competitive ,not a higher standard , and you would more than likely get higher attendances

Instead of leaving why dont we help the others to grow?

People don’t like it because it is counter intuitive and doesn’t fit in with the “fu.ck the lot of them” logic but we need to ensure the revenue is distributed so that the smaller teams are effectively subsidised by ourselves and Celtic.

Therea no point in you and your neighbour having 2 stunning 9 bedroom mansions if your neighbours are living in decrepit squalor in a trailer park ffs. That does not a great neighbourhood make and only devalues your own property in the long term.

First thing we should have done this season was pool some of the Europa money with the mentally challengeds and force every club in the top flight to get a grass park.

Good point regarding the grass pitches. Should be a requirement to play in the top league

Couldn't disagree more.

St Johnstone treated us like sh1t when we where going through our troubles.

Feck them and the rest of them.

We're the worst and its all down to how the money is distributed. In the EPL if a team qualifies for the CL they can spend 30 million on a new player. When Celtic qualify they can use the 30 million to buy a couple of bottom six clubs. Its nonsense.
Joint worst with Wales (TNS) Bulgaria (Ludogorets) & Italy (Juventus) all currently on 8.
Asking or forcing teams to essentially give money away to smaller teams is turkeys voting for xmas. It wont happen voluntarily and if forced then the fans of the bigger (winning) clubs would be up in arms about it.
As i said mate, uefa should be worried but they aren't . Agree something needs done but genuinely cant see that happening

Joint worst with Wales (TNS) Bulgaria (Ludogorets) & Italy (Juventus) all currently on 8.
Asking or forcing teams to essentially give money away to smaller teams is turkeys voting for xmas. It wont happen voluntarily and if forced then the fans of the bigger (winning) would be up in arms about it.
As i said mate, uefa should be worried but they aren't . Agree something needs done but genuinely cant see that happening

Have these leagues got 2 teams with over 100 titles betwern them?

Who will we play against when we've fucked them all?
We would find our feet elsewhere with the SFA blessing.
Some of those clubs still won't help themselves by giving us an extra allocation.
They would rather have an empty stand than help us
As I said,fvck them.

I'm not a fan of any other team in Scotland, soft spot for one or 2, but that's it. However, I do recognise the need for competition and looking at Scottish football right now is a bit depressing.

The whole "long.....slow.....lingering death" patter is just daft in the long term. If teams like St Johnstone for example get worse and worse with less money as we and Celtic coin it in then it'll end up almost like amateur football with all crowds dropping.

The greater spread of cash as suggested by @LOL 133 is a good idea, but needs clubs to literally see beyond their own nose.

Thats history mate. The situation is an ongoing and current problem. Teams in the driving seat now are unlikely to want to help any other.

Doesnt matter what I say does it?

I'll go back to my original claim. We are one of the least competitive leagues in the world. There is only one solution but unfortunately too many just dont get it...yet.

Who will we play against when we've fucked them all?
Well they should have thought about that then,I hate the lot of them they laughed and mocked us,I don’t know about you mate but that’s my football team they were laughing at and I don’t take kindly to it,I’ve never went to any ground apart from Ibrox and will not ever again set foot in any other ground,all for what jealousy

I'm not a fan of any other team in Scotland, soft spot for one or 2, but that's it. However, I do recognise the need for competition and looking at Scottish football right now is a bit depressing.

The whole "long.....slow.....lingering death" patter is just daft in the long term. If teams like St Johnstone for example get worse and worse with less money as we and Celtic coin it in then it'll end up almost like amateur football with all crowds dropping.

I agree. Its amazing how short sighted some people are. They dont seem able to grasp the problem. Just like Keevins years ago.

Doesnt matter what I say does it?

I'll go back to my original claim. We are one of the least competitive leagues in the world. There is only one solution but unfortunately too many just dont get it...yet.
Im not havin a go at you but Ive tried to give proper answers and not go down the road of "feck them, they hate us"
Do you genuinely think the bigger clubs in any country would voluntarily help out others?

Well they should have thought about that then,I hate the lot of them they laughed and mocked us,I don’t know about you mate but that’s my football team they were laughing at and I don’t take kindly to it,I’ve never went to any ground apart from Ibrox and will not ever again set foot in any other ground,all for what jealousy

You wont need to worry about setting foot in other grounds if things continue as they are. There wont be any other grounds.

You wont need to worry about setting foot in other grounds if things continue as they are. There wont be any other grounds.
Great,we will get out of the cesspit then and might get back to watching our club compete in a more friendly and fair league then in England,no kidding mate I would die a happy man

St johnstone fans are going to kill that club , where are the 20,000 who attended the scottish cup final few yrs back at celtic park

See in all honesty, you can't blame the average Scottish person for not attending games.

You'll get the die hards who'll go but this is the day out...

Expensive ticket (comparitively when you can get far more value at other events)

Terrible food and no atmosphere at the games.

No entertainment for the kids, again in comparison to other events.

A terrible product on the park in less than fantastic surroundings.

This isn't the 70s or 80s any more. There's a million and one things that people can choose to do now instead of football. Scottish football hasn't moved with the times at all and it's suffering for it.

I look at all the options kids have these days compared to what I had as a child and it's no wonder they're not really pleading with their folks to take them to St Johnstone v St Mirren.

You'll still get wee boys and girls wanting to go to games but the lasting pull isn't there and they drift away as the product is chronic.

For people saying that it's on Rangers (and Celtic) to help out, the issue is far more with the governing body and it's entire lack of vision. I know "the clubs" are the association but it has no leadership and is all self preservation and Ernie Walker's think tank levels of stale.

Im not havin a go at you but Ive tried to give proper answers and not go down the road of "feck them, they hate us"
Do you genuinely think the bigger clubs in any country would voluntarily help out others?

They've no choice. The point is you need an opposition to play against. No one wants to watch a sport with no competition. Its boring and pointless.

Incidentally when you go to Ibrox you pay to watch two teams. The money should be shared and this will have to happen.

They've no choice. The point is you need an opposition to play against. No one wants to watch a sport with no competition. Its boring and pointless.

Incidentally when you go to Ibrox you pay to watch two teams. The money should be shared and this will have to happen.
Bayern, Juventus, Barcelona, Real Madrid and a few others sell out regardless of who they play. Fans like success not necessarily competition.

Bayern, Juventus, Barcelona, Real Madrid and a few others sell out regardless of who they play. Fans like success not necessarily competition.

It doesnt last if there's no excitement.

Anyway Im off. No point in trying to change things. Ive moved out of Scotland. Enjoy your football while it lasts.

Back