‘Old’ referees (1960/70’s)

Blew Knows

Following on from the ‘preferred ref’ thread about current refs, got me thinking about the refs when I was a lad. Anybody old enough to remember Tom (Tiny) Wharton, a big man in every respect. From my recollection, he always wore a black jacket or blazer and didn’t seem to run about much (due to his size). From what I remember he was a fair ref, as were most then.
Any other good or bad 1960/70’s refs older bears have memories of.

Last edited:
Without even going to google. That bassa Bob Valentine giving you know who a penalty against Rangers when it hit big DJ on the knee in the SC Final 1977.
I might have got the ref wrong but another cup final win they cheated themselves to.
Selective memory that lot.

Following on from the ‘preferred ref’ thread about current refs, got me thinking about the refs when I was a lad. Anybody old enough to remember Tom (Tiny) Wharton, a big man in every respect. From my recollection, he always wore a black jacket or blazer and didn’t seem to run about much (due to his size). From what I remember he was a fair ref, as were most then.
He also always had what looked like an open neck shirt and a badge on his blazer. I was only young back then

Open necked shirt and blazer. My old man says it was because he was too heavy to fit a normal ref shirt, but when you look at old photos a lot of refs seemed to wear blazers.

Back