‘Player power’

Laudrup11Cooper

So………how much did this contribute to Pedro getting his jotters ………and to what we have been enduring for the last couple of months?

Had we been winning every week it wouldn't have mattered regarding Miller/Wallace and co, but King and the board could see for themslevs the results were not good enough and in football that can't be allowed to go on.

its a massive problem

arguably the last 3 managers have been seen as walkovers by the players

the manger should instantly command respect and or strike fear into the players

miller basically did to pedro what barton did to warburton
Barton was proven right though

Nothing.
The manager was out of his depth.
Man management left a lot to be desired but ultimately its a result driven business.

It definitely played a part i think that is plain to see, it seems to be part and parcel of modern day football sadly.
Leicester, chelsea under jose all other recent examples aswell.
Back in the day of the old fashioned fergie/wallace type managers these players would have been shipped out without their feet touching the ground.

I can understand it to an extent. If your manager at your work was out of their depth or treated you and your colleagues poorly then you wouldn’t be 100% motivated.

See when you alienate players purely due t9 not liking their view, you are a shit man manager.

Miller Wallace and Niko were the latest to be bombed out. Farcical stuff.
Bruno Alves I read from the person who broke it on here ultimately sided with his teammates did he not

Stubborn and none of the two played at any great level to really know how a dressing room works and how to be boss but everyone's pal and no1 enemy at the same time
This for me, you get exceptions to this of course you do but then if you look at Mourinho as example he had a psychology degree or similar which would help with this side to it.

We can talk about player power, poor refereeing, and awful treatment by the media, but the bottom line is that Pedro just wasn’t good enough at his job no matter what any external factors were.

None! Warburton was a snake, McCoist was a fool and Pedro was brutaly shite.

But we need a manager who commands respect and honour

His man management seems utterly terrible. Right from when he came in, he bombed out Kiernan, MOH etc. Now these players were not good enough for us, but I'm sure the players who stayed and played under Pedro were not happy that their mates were frozen out immediately.

Dressing rooms can be brutal when influential players don't play, they can really have a negative impact on others. A strong manager can hold this together but if a manager doesnt fancy you as a player or an individual but cant get you out then its going to fester.

No-one really knows what the relationships are like but there were rumours (all probably nonsense) of a clique of homegrown players versus the new lads. If this was true I would be majorly pissed off with them.

But the probable truth is Pedro had a battle trying to get his message across to certain players and friction broke out.

his Man management was a concern from the first couple of days. Maybe he clicked quickly that it was a good excuse but why go into a club and start alienating the players who had to play for you from the start?

It didn't.

He simply wasn't good enough.

Maybe, but are we all 100% sure that every player at the club was 100% behind the manager?

I don't know, I fully admit that.
So why are others so sure on this matter?

Maybe I just imagined it, but there seemed to be a clear rift between Pedro and Kenny Miller.
I am not myself sure who should carry the can for the rift, if indeed anyone, but somehow I get the hint of some unrest inside the dressing room at the club.

However, I suspect much will be spilled in the coming days if there is anything to spill.

So………how much did this contribute to Pedro getting his jotters ………and to what we have been enduring for the last couple of months?

Players have all the power no matter who the manager is. The players at Chelsea got Mourhino sacked from there. The Man City players got Mancini sacked and there’s loads more examples. If players don’t want to play for a manager they won’t so the manager has to find a way of managing them. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Ferguson lasted so long at Man Utd and Wenger has lasted so long at Arsenal.

I believe it contributed immensely, football dressing rooms are incredibly tribal - friendships/pals happen very quickly. On the evidence of what is happening on the park I believe Pedro lost the Scottish/Brittsh boys a few weeks back. Tav, Windass, Miller, Jack, Dorrans and even Morelos lost believe in Pedro and when that happens, bad results are inevitable and therefore the manager 9 times out of 10 loses his job.

Kenny Miller may be finished, but I've always thought he was professional. When Pedro accused the non-foreigners of not being welcoming, it would immediately, causing a split in the camp.

Pedro seemed to take a bit of a "hard man" approach e.g. bombing out various players or making them train with the youths. That's all very well if you get the players you have left to win enough games - but Pedro didn't.

I don’t understand where this “Alves didn’t like Caixinha” push came from. Considering they took a few flights back to Portugal together, had lunch quite a few times, and Pedro made him captain I would file under bullshit. A great book to read for anyone in any type of management is “the five dysfunctions of a team”. It basically gets into how one negative personality can have a majorly corrosive effect on an organization. I don’t care who it is. If someone was doing that with Pedro I hope they never pull a Rangers top on again.

Pedro seemed to take a bit of a "hard man" approach e.g. bombing out various players or making them train with the youths. That's all very well if you get the players you have left to win enough games - but Pedro didn't.

I think he was chosen because he talked tough and convinced the interview panel that he could stand up to the press and the pressure of managing Rangers. The problem with this is his tough no nonsense approach led to him alienating a number of players and losing the dressing room.

What intrigues me is why did the panel feel the need to put toughness at the top of their favoured characteristics? It ties in with my thoughts on why they chose to hire a DOF, even though they missed the boat timewise.

Thoughts?

I don’t understand where this “Alves didn’t like Caixinha” push came from. Considering they took a few flights back to Portugal together, had lunch quite a few times, and Pedro made him captain I would file under bullshit. A great book to read for anyone in any type of management is “the five dysfunctions of a team”. It basically gets into how one negative personality can have a majorly corrosive effect on an organization. I don’t care who it is. If someone was doing that with Pedro I hope they never pull a Rangers top on again.

I tend to agree. A manager must be 'allowed' to manage.

What interests me is the motivation behind the 'corrosion'. Do players think its worth putting fans through hell because they think its in the best interests of the fans long term or are they doing it for personal reasons ie they just dont like the manager's approach?

Worth remembering that the vast majority were cheering Pedro on when he bombed out wasters like MOH and Kiernan. Easy to look back on it now and say it was a mistake, but that’s not the view most of you took at the time was it.

We’ll never know the answer to the OP’s question, we really couldn’t unless we were inside that dressing room. What I do know is that Pedro was absolutely not cut out to be the manager of Rangers and the root cause of his sacking was his own lack of ability to do his job.

I tend to agree. A manager must be 'allowed' to manage.

What interests me is the motivation behind the 'corrosion'. Do players think its worth putting fans through hell because they think its in the best interests of the fans long term or are they doing it for personal reasons ie they just dont like the manager's approach?
Purely self interest in most cases. Unfortunately most people aren’t as altruistic to put the “team” first in my opinion.

Worth remembering that the vast majority were cheering Pedro on when he bombed out wasters like MOH and Kiernan. Easy to look back on it now and say it was a mistake, but that’s not the view most of you took at the time was it.

We’ll never know the answer to the OP’s question, we really couldn’t unless we were inside that dressing room. What I do know is that Pedro was absolutely not cut out to be the manager of Rangers and the root cause of his sacking was his own lack of ability to do his job.

I agree with some of this…but … I think the players need to look at themselves hard in the mirror and ask if they behaved professionally.

I think Pedro can walk away knowing he gave it his best shot can the players say the same?

The way it ended … gives me doubts.

Whose to say? The ones that gave it all for Pedro may now decide to down tools.

If that was them giving their all god help us when they decide to down tools.;)

On the original question I don't think it was player power the manager just wasn't good enough he should have walked after the fiasco in Luxembourg.

I don't think the players weren't giving 100% for him. That is probably due to the treatment of some of their teammates.

We need a hard bastard of a manager who will get these players put in their place.

Player power had absolutely nothing to do with yesterdays decision. I am at a loss as to why fellow fans who have witnessed the performances under PC are breaking their backs to find anyone and everyone to blame other than PC.

There is no doubt that the players downed tools on the last two Rangers managers.

That's why the next manager needs to be a massive personality who will take no crap. That's why I want Walter.

Player power had absolutely nothing to do with yesterdays decision. I am at a loss as to why fellow fans who have witnessed the performances under PC are breaking their backs to find anyone and everyone to blame other than PC.

The reason is because it has now happened two times in a row and it happened also to Le Guen and McLeish.

You completely miss the point that the manager could be the corrosive personality and be the one that was wrong ! This is the assumption for every “KM must never be near a blue jersey again” statement as well !! What if KM was correct all along and Pedro and everything he was doing was in fact dragging the club down, including poor training, poor physical conditioning, poor man management , poor ability to integrate the new faces ! Experienced player would get this and get it quickly I suspect.

You completely miss the point that the manager could be the corrosive personality and be the one that was wrong ! This is the assumption for every “KM must never be near a blue jersey again” statement as well !! What if KM was correct all along and Pedro and everything he was doing was in fact dragging the club down, including poor training, poor physical conditioning, poor man management , poor ability to integrate the new faces ! Experienced player would get this and get it quickly I suspect.

Could you point me to the part where I mention Kennu Miller, I must have missed it.

Bosman gave the players the power and they will exploit that power when it suits them. Either as a team or as an individual Chelsea and Man City have been rightly mentioned but has been going on for years. The Real Madrid team of the mid 80s into the mid 90s had a weak link, the goalkeeper but because he was a popular team mate the players made known to the then manager Leo Beenhakker under no circumstances was he to be dropped. That Madrid team under achieved massively . Player power at its worst. I think as far as Pedro is concerned when he criticised the players in public he was done for. The supporters maybe thinking yeah Pedro they deserve it but ultimately its players that get you sacked. I genuinely feel sorry for the man that it did not work out.

Of course some of them were to blame.

When "the leaks" started coming out that was the start of the downfall for Pedro.

And these leaks started coming out fairly quickly after he was appointed FFS Sutton,Craigan and Stewart were after him from about the 5th match.

its a massive problem

arguably the last 3 managers have been seen as walkovers by the players

the manger should instantly command respect and or strike fear into the players

miller basically did to pedro what barton did to warburton

I disagree with the respect bit. A new manager shouldn't instantly command respect although I'm sure a few do get it because of their standing in the game. Respect has to be earned not commanded. It's the same in anybody's working life. A new manager or gaffer might start that's an absolute dumpling. I will do as I'm told by him but I won't respect him if he's a buffoon. I suspect most of the squad sussed Pedro out pretty sharpish.

I don't think the players weren't giving 100% for him. That is probably due to the treatment of some of their teammates.

We need a hard bastard of a manager who will get these players put in their place.

We don’t need a “hard bastard” we need a manager the players respect, listen to and trust.

Back