’A safe pair of hands’

Who do you regard as ‘a safe pair of hands’?

• Derek McInnes

Votes: 69 21.7%
  • Tommy Wright

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Alex McLeish & Alex Rae

Votes: 35 11.0%
  • Sir Walter Smith

Votes: 103 32.4%
  • Frank DeBoer

Votes: 26 8.2%
  • Another foreign coach with pedigree

Votes: 26 8.2%
  • Other

Votes: 54 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Laudrup11Cooper

This phrase was used by many supposedly experts …about who Mark Warburton’s successor should be.

“ Rangers need right now…a safe pair of hands”

Well it is still debatable and subjective when it comes to Pedro… but for arguement sake if Pedro was to leave sooner rather than later …who would you regard as…

‘A safe pair of hands’?

I'm not sure about having a safe pair of hands. The safest pair of hands we could get would be Walter but he isn't the man to take us forward now long term.

I wanted FDB before Pedro, he did well at Ajax and at least has some pedigree who also has previous knowledge of Rangers and Scottish football. I would say he was unlucky with inter and crystal palace lasted so short that it's hard to judge.

In addition, could Michael laudrup be tempted? Knows a bit about Scottish football from Brian and has won leagues in Denmark and Qatar whilst doing relatively well with Swansea winning the league cup.

Both of these guys have won more than Tommy Wright and would be a better appointment than big Sam or McInnes in my opinion.

This season looks like a dead duck already, if we are replacing manager let’s spend to get the best we possibly can . Mcinnes, Mcleish etc is not the the answer.

Please define what a "safe pair of hands" means in Rangers manager context.

I've ticked other because I simply don't know. I dread to think how many in-a-row they will win if we go the McInnes or Wright route, yet at the minute the overseas coach thing isn't bearing fruit quickly enough for us as the most battle-weary, jaded support on the planet.

If we want to go forward then we have to stop losing soft goals and be hard to beat. We need to be physically stronger than the opposition. For me that means Sam Allardyce.I don't know if he would be interested or how we could afford him but that's the job of the board to find the funds.
If we stick with Pedro then we won't catch the tims its that simple.

Walter is easily the top candidate on that list, and I voted for him based on that, but I cannot see it happening in a month of Sundays.

Walter is 70 in February. As much as I'd love for him to come back the rest of the season, it just isn't going to happen. I don't know who we bring in as Pedro's replacement, but I do know Pedro needs to be replaced. I believe we are still going to improve, but if Pedro was going to make us title challengers in the next 2 or 3 years he wouldn't be struggling to win 4 games in a row with our budget.

We have to get the next manager right,our last 3 managers have been a gamble in one way or another ,ally first time manager,warburton another inexperienced manager with no plan b,Pedro foreign manager with no real pedigree,,,Next manager has to be experienced,know Rangers and know what we have to do to beat the scum

The answer to what we actually need is McInnes. The problem with that is most of our support don't want a "safe pair of hands", they want to be challenging Celtic now. They keep saying "McInnes won't get us challenging Celtic" but that wouldn't be his remit, not yet. The big glaring issue is that we keep failing to win consistently against the rest of the league, and until we are doing that we've got no right to be even thinking about Celtic.

The patience with the "journey" has gone and the reality of their dominance is too much for some. That's the situation a new manager would be walking into.

I think people are forgetting how much money Walter Smith spent with us, even the 2nd time round.

Murray might have been a cūnt, but he certainly allowed his pal to spend a few quid.

One thing is for sure we need to pay the money for a good experienced manager, experiments have to be over.

Whether the money is there or not is another question

Neal Warnock and Alan pardew are no better than Warburton,if and when Pedro has to go we need to be aiming higher than those two. What about Di Matteo,maybe not but that's the calibre we should be looking at

I would go for Murty with possibly Miller assisting short term,the most important point is the next long term Manager has to be the right call and will probably require us to push the boat out for a top English manager, we cannot afford another mistake on this front and fritter more money away.

I would go for Murty with possibly Miller assisting short term,the most important point is the next long term Manager has to be the right call and will probably require us to push the boat out for a top English manager, we cannot afford another mistake on this front and fritter more money away.
Why ?

Please define what a "safe pair of hands" means in Rangers manager context.

That my friend is why I posed the question to find out in people's view what in their view is ‘a safe pair…’

I just kept hearing this phrase without hearing what the definition was…although one name did keep coming up after it was mentioned and has been mentioned alot today on the forum…

It is very subjective I agree…

Walter is definitely a safe pair of hands. I'd trust him to win the league no matter who was in the team but he's retired so should leave him be.

Murty has developed into Mourinho-like reputation on the back of a draw. The other results under his tenure where poor.

The Belgian ex-goalie? What's he been up to as a manger?

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/belg...udhomme-rejects-links-to-belgium-managers-job

He has had success wherever he has gone as a manager. In 2008, he guided Standard Liege to their first league title in 25 years before winning domestic cup competitions with Gent and Dutch side FC Twente.

Two seasons ago Club Brugge ended an eight-year wait for silverware when they won the Belgian Cup and they also became the first Belgian team to reach the last eight of a European competition in 20 years.

Some would have us cryogenically freeze Walter, to thaw him up every decade or so when we’re in between managers.

The man is a probably the biggest living Rangers legend, but his time has come and gone. Let the man enjoy his well-earnt retirement.

As for the safest pair of hands, McInnes is just that. He’d guarantee us second place and cup finals. Would he actually win anything though? I don’t think so.

Last edited:
It's imperative we get the right person in

The beasts are only as good as they are because of their manager.

I'd rather fluff this season up but now prepare for the next by getting the right mix of people in.

But when does it stop, it's like a circus at the moment

If it's a safe pair of hands it would need to be Walter but he's done enough leave the man alone to enjoy the later years of his life.

Big Sam would be my first choice but I don't think we would be able to pay him enough.

Pardew is worth a go and is a decent manager.

I would rather have Tommy Wright over McInnes but hopefully we find some better candidates.

Could very easily turn into the proverbial revolving door of managers if we are not careful.What I will say is Walter has become the victim of his own success the poor man has done his time let him enjoy his retirement.

Walter is one of us and as such won't be enjoying his retirement with the team performing as it is.

Very good point mate…

But if asked again I think he will definitely put Deek forward ……again!

Don’t think Ethel would put up with it for a third time!!

Back