“2 or 3 players of better quality”

greggakd

Seems to be what a lot of people think is all we require to change into a title winning squad.

I think when everyone is fit last night is the current strongest 11. My question is who is moved out of the current starting 11 to make way for them, and aside from a creative mid, where else? Or is it stronger options on the bench to cover suspensions/injuries.

Seems to be what a lot of people think is all we require to change into a title winning squad.

I think when everyone is fit last night is the current strongest 11. My question is who is moved out of the current starting 11 to make way for them, and aside from a creative mid, where else? Or is it stronger options on the bench to cover suspensions/injuries.
Imo Arfield, Candeias and Morelos(obviously) will need switched for next season. I love Arfield and Candeias but we need more goals from wide and midfield and more incisive passing.

What's with the quotation marks?
Gerrard and Allen have always said we are actively looking to improve during and inside Windows. If it was possible financially I'm sure he'd have no issue in replacing them all if it made us better. You would say we only have Left Back and Centre midfield as positions with great competition that has increased performance standards, therefore you could argue the squad would need improving for 7 other places

We have to improve every season, we can stand still and think this 11 are irreplaceable, it will depend on how good the signings are, for me i still want to wide players who can score a lot of goals.

I would take Kent of course but i still feel we could upgrade on Candeias and Arfield, both have done really well and are good players but personally thats were i would start along with a centre back.

I am not singling those 2 out as we can always improve in every position.

We have to improve every season, we can stand still and think this 11 are irreplaceable, it will depend on how good the signings are, for me i still want to wide players who can score a lot of goals.

I would take Kent of course but i still feel we could upgrade on Candeias and Arfield, both have done really well and are good players but personally thats were i would start along with a centre back.
Katic should 100% be in the team from next season for me. With McAuley and Worrall away though we should be looking for 2 CBs as well imo

Is this the first close season in years where we'll not see a complete overhaul of the squad?

Can only be a good thing and build stability for next season.

Is this the first close season in years where we'll not see a complete overhaul of the squad?

Well 3 weeks ago we had people saying a major overhaul was required, shows how mental this place gets at times.

I would look to sign 2 centre backs on frees/loans and then spend good money on Kent, a RW, a 10 and striker or two (personally I'd sell Lafferty)

We can get better all over the pitch.

However it’s all about priorities.

Last thing we need is stronger options from the bench - unless we are bringing in a better wide forward with Candeias dropping to the bench and providing the “stronger option from the bench”

Imo
Our best x1
Gets us through qualifiers imo
Katic for Worral
Jones for Kent if he goes
Murphy Grezda Dorrans Docherty Rossiter to come back if required
So squad will be strong.a cb or 2
Scoring midfielder to replace anyone we shift on.
Murphy could be a big player for us if he comes back fighting

1x CB to replace Worral
Bust a gut to keep Kent
1 x quality wideman to push Candeias onto the bench.
1 x quality no 10 to add goals creativity.

If we get to a stage where we have the likes of Candelas, Murphy, Arfield struggling to get a jersey we will be in a good place.

Aside from the possibility of guys like Morelos and Tav needing replaced, are we saying we’re the finished article?

We’re clearly not, and as enjoyable as the last three games have been, we’re still short on the sort of quality in depth that’s needed to turn us from a solid second place outfit into title winners.

We should always be looking to improve. There can be no room for sentiment.

Guys like Arfield, Jack, Candeias even Kent have all been excellent on occasion, but I’m not convinced a side containing all of them as mainstays will ever win the SPFL.

I am not singling those 2 out as we can always improve in every position.

Agree. No more squad players. Let the current guys with the jersey become squad players. After 29.12 many were saying we are good enough. Over one game we are but not over a season due to the inconsistency of a number of our players.

Alfie & Tavi could be away in the summer.
Worrall Coulibaly gone
Kent I hope we can buy.
That's a possible 5 gone.
We will be needing 2 x CH
for me we will need 7 or 8 come the summer

Aside from the possibility of guys like Morelos and Tav needing replaced, are we saying we’re the finished article?

We’re clearly not, and as enjoyable as the last three games have been, we’re still short on the sort of quality in depth that’s needed to turn us from a solid second place outfit into title winners.

We should always be looking to improve. There can be no room for sentiment.

Guys like Arfield, Jack, Candeias even Kent have all been excellent on occasion, but I’m not convinced a side containing all of them as mainstays will ever win the SPFL.

Agree. All good players, but we know how much our performances have varied.

Imo
Our best x1
Gets us through qualifiers imo
Katic for Worral
Jones for Kent if he goes
Murphy Grezda Dorrans Docherty Rossiter to come back if required
So squad will be strong.a cb or 2
Scoring midfielder to replace anyone we shift on.
Murphy could be a big player for us if he comes back fighting
We can't be replacing Kent with Jones.

If you look at last night's starting 11, two, Kent & Worrall are not (yet anyway) our players after the end of the season and we are likely to sell the Buffalo, so we're going to need three signings (of quality) just to "mark time".

Agree. All good players, but we know how much our performances have varied.

It’s a squad game so they’ll all have their part to play.

I also think that adding a couple of top drawer players middle to front can have the effect of spurring existing players on to raise their game.

Halliday is a great example of this.

I don’t imagine so. It has been discussed widely Tav and Morelos will more than likely move on.

I still think we need a left back unless there is a huge improvement in Barisic.

Coulibally will go, probably with Worrall and Kent as their loans end.

Davis and Defoe havent exactly set the heather on fire and will be another year nearer 40.

Do we think this is a team capable of staying fit all season and winning the league ?

McGregor
Polster, Goldson, Katic, Barisic
Jones, Arfield, Jack, Kamara, Grezda
Lafferty

An attacking midfielder of quality is a must imo. Arfield had never played in that role prior to joining us and has done well but an upgrade in there will mean winning games that maybe we've drew this season.
Obviously it depends on who leaves but we will be losing quite a few players due to loans etc.
Hopefully Doc and Rossiter can be like new signings when they return and kick on as they're both easily good enough for this league.
We need another right winger to compete with Candieas. Hopefully we get Kent again and send Middleton out on loan.
Finally, a striker with an aerial threat, even if Morelos stays.
That's the 3 positions I'd bring in quality.

It’s a squad game so they’ll all have their part to play.

I also think that adding a couple of top drawer players middle to front can have the effect of spurring existing players on to raise their game.

Halliday is a great example of this.

Absolutely. We need to bring in at least two. I’d say 3 but maybe I’m being greedy mate.

I’m hoping a quality Alfie replacement, a quality attacking midfielder & a quality centre half.

As you say, Andy is an example of the influence that this can have overall.

Reactions: cav
Our midfielders won’t always be on form. We need a creative goal scoring mid who can turn up every week.

A replacement for Worrall obviously. A real stalwart.

A goal scoring wide man to push Candeais to the bench.

Kent back.

A replacement for Morelos. It has to be someone really special, our best player.

The key to success next season is overhauling the scum this season or hoping they do not qualify for the CL.

We will strengthen and I expect far fewer slip ups but we also need to hope that the mentally challengeds do not make the CL as this will be the difference between them downsizing or strengthening.

If we can win the title, I would not expect us to qualify for the CL at this stage as the opposition would be tough for a relatively inexperienced squad at that level but it would at least prevent them from the CL riches.

Absolutely. We need to bring in at least two. I’d say 3 but maybe I’m being greedy mate.

I’m hoping a quality Alfie replacement, a quality attacking midfielder & a quality centre half.

As you say, Andy is an example of the influence that this can have overall.

If Morelos goes there’s major thought needed towards the sort of replacement we’d like.

Someone to play the lone role he does so brilliantly, or someone to team up with Defoe?

Or both?

On top of that I’d like a quality wide man that will get us 15-20 a season as well as a really top class midfielder.

If money was no object, I’d upgrade both Arfield and Jack.

We will also need another central defender.

The only way it looks like we’re funding all of that however is if Alfie and possibly Tav leave, so maybe we need to pray they hang on for another season and the board find new sources of funding to bring in 2 or 3 players that improve the starting eleven.

Here’s hoping.

Our midfielders won’t always be on form. We need a creative goal scoring mid who can turn up every week.

A replacement for Worrall obviously. A real stalwart.

A goal scoring wide man to push Candeais to the bench.

Kent back.

A replacement for Morelos. It has to be someone really special, our best player.

I can’t see how Kent comes back.

We’ve just bought Jones, spent £2m on Grezda and still have Murphy to return.

Striker to replace Alfie
#10 or attacking midfielder to build on and improve what Arfield does
Left back
Centre half if he doesn't fancy Katic

We're going to be entering the transfer window for the first time in about a decade where we don't have to completely rebuild the side from back to front in the space of a window.

Two or three quality signings in key positions will help. Probably signing another CB, a midfielder to replace the glut of players leaving that position and, depending on what happens with Morelos, another Striker.

A loan or two and promoting a couple of youth prospects to the first team squad will fill out the squad and we should be ready to roll. I think there will be more outgoings than incomings, but the quality of players being brought in will be consistently high.

To be in this position after the disastrous scatter-gun transfer policies of Warburton and Pedro is a testament to the work of the Director of Football, the Scouting department and the management team as a whole.

Of the players that started last night, Tavernier was a Warburton signing. Jack, Candeias and Morelos were Pedro signings (although I really want to attribute Morelos to JJ). The other 7 were brought to the club by Gerrard, Allen and Scoulding.

As it stands yes that's what we need but there's a realistic if pessimistic view that we could conceivably lose Kent and Morelos in the summer. With aging players across the squad we could be looking at quite a significant rebuild.

I think our ultimate aim should be holding onto what we have and adding a few additions, if possible, otherwise we're looking at a big turnaround in players with a new bedding in period etc.

Let's hope the board and staff can pull out all the stops to start us off on the best foot for next season.

If Morelos goes there’s major thought needed towards the sort of replacement we’d like.

Someone to play the lone role he does so brilliantly, or someone to team up with Defoe?

Or both?

On top of that I’d like a quality wide man that will get us 15-20 a season as well as a really top class midfielder.

If money was no object, I’d upgrade both Arfield and Jack.

We will also need another central defender.

The only way it looks like we’re funding all of that however is if Alfie and possibly Tav leave, so maybe we need to pray they hang on for another season and the board find new sources of funding to bring in 2 or 3 players that improve the starting eleven.

Here’s hoping.

A lot of good points OM.

On Alfie, I’m thinking we need two players to give us options. Defoe can’t lead the line as we know. I’d be looking at Koljic & Frey and bringing one of them in with the young Helsinki striker who’s only 19, but looks a real talent.
Another issue you raise is on a winger / wide player who can get a lot of goals. We play pretty close to the Liverpool system but our wide players get so few goals relative to them. If that system is our Plan A, then we need to do what you are suggesting imo.

I'd definitely say we're only a couple of players away. The squad is looking better now and no longer in need of a complete overhaul. I believe we'll start next season strong with less need to gel.

Equally depending on the summer I don't see how Celtic will be at stronger. There main signings have been loan players who I hear aren't exactly world beaters, so they'll need as much if not more than work than us.

Lastly whilst it'll be a blow to lose Morelos, I believe he'll go for at least £20 million. If so and it goes back in to the squad that's 2 or 3 £ 5 million players who could make all the difference. I don't that'll quite happen, but I do expect some big value signings this summer.

Katic should 100% be in the team from next season for me. With McAuley and Worrall away though we should be looking for 2 CBs as well imo
I'm surprised I haven't heard anything linking us with Halkett. Out of contract, done very well at Livi, knows the club from his time in the academy and I think he'd be a good option for a 3rd cb.

If we were able to keep all the players from last night (particularly Tav and Alfie), then an upgrade on Worrall, Jack, Candeias and Arfield would win us the league.

Worrall is fine but can be improved on - day that bloke from Millwall we looked at last season.

Jack is very popular and I can see why but does have a little bit lacking in his game. He isn’t quite sharp enough in possession to really be at the top level.

Arfield adds a lot to us but is not prolific in scoring for an advanced mid in a team with as much dominance as we have. If we got a player who can do what he does but reliably score 15 or more a year, it would elevate us.

Candeias really adds to our high press and his work ethic is tremendous but he can be wasteful and rarely scores. A winger with a work ethic but with more end product could improve us.

All of these with the possible exception of Worrall are very good players already and upgrading them will not be easy. But, if we have the money available then that’s where I’d spend it.

I can’t see how Kent comes back.

We’ve just bought Jones, spent £2m on Grezda and still have Murphy to return.

I’ve been wondering that myself. I would like Kent and someone in the Weiss/Aluko mould to play either side of a new Morelos (which will be impossible to find - so we need to spread the goal load).

I don’t see how it happens with the wide men we already have. Not unless Middleton goes out on loan and we cut our losses on Grezda. Jones seems a daft signing.

Reactions: cav
I’ve been wondering that myself. I would like Kent and someone in the Weiss/Aluko mould to play either side of a new Morelos (which will be impossible to find - so we need to spread the goal load).

I don’t see how it happens with the wide men we already have. Not unless Middleton goes out on loan and we cut our losses on Grezda. Jones seems a daft signing.

Kent wasn’t particularly well thought of before he arrived. Perhaps his success has been in good part down to the management?

The hope must be that Jones can develop into a better player than he’s appeared in a limited Kilmarnock side when he has better players around him.

Unless Liverpool are happy for Kent to remain with us for another season, I can’t see how we can accommodate him, unless as you say we’re thinking of cutting our losses on Grezda, but I highly doubt that.

I think we probably just need to accept Kent will be gone in the summer.

Kent wasn’t particularly well thought of before he arrived. Perhaps his success has been in good part down to the management?

The hope must be that Jones can develop into a better player than he’s appeared in a limited Kilmarnock side when he has better players around him.

Unless Liverpool are happy for Kent to remain with us for another season, I can’t see how we can accommodate him, unless as you say we’re thinking of cutting our losses on Grezda, but I highly doubt that.

Either way,we still need a winger out and one who can score in. Jones for Kent has to be seen as a downgrade, and there’s no room in the squad to bring in more without others leaving.

Based on our current best XI then I think we only need 3 to win the league. A better LB than Barisic, a replacement for Worrall and a better attacking midfielder. It is possible that Barisic will improve to the level we need and Arfield is playing well but I think we need a bit more quality in that area.
Great to only be talking about tweaks rather than wholesale changes. Probably why that its so important we hang on to Kent & Alfie for another season.

I can't see Kent making the Liverpool first team and given how much he enjoys it here there must be a chance we will get him for next season .

I'm confident over 90 minutes last nights team can beat anyone in scotland anywhere.

however, as soon as one player drops out in the midfield positions forward we look terribly imbalanced and fragile.

Upgrade required for Candieas and cover for arfield (upgrade would be a big ask) along with signing Kent would be magic.

Imo Arfield, Candeias and Morelos(obviously) will need switched for next season. I love Arfield and Candeias but we need more goals from wide and midfield and more incisive passing.

Arfield has been superb since he pished all over Brown on the 29th, apart from 2 games at Rugby Park and Pittodrie, when he put the team first and played through an injury.

He'll take some shifting mate.

We can't be replacing Kent with Jones.

Kent came to us with an awful track record, and now looks like a completely different player. Jones has played well in amongst a team of absolute cluggers who have very little interest in playing decent, attacking football. I'd reserve judgement on Jones until the coaching staff have had a couple of months with him.

On a related note, Kent still has a few years left on his Liverpool contract but realistically won't be near their first team next season. There's no reason why we couldn't get him back on another season's loan next year, unless Liverpool decide to send him to a team at a higher level, or punt him, but crucially, if we can get Grezda fit and firing, he could walk into that space if we don't see Kent returning.

I think it will be difficult to bring players of a higher quality to Scottish football , the team we have are improving the more they play together , through clever scouting we may uncover some gems like Alfie but in the long run I think our best bet is to nurture our own .

Back