“2 or 3 players of better quality”

Arfield has been superb since he pished all over Brown on the 29th, apart from 2 games at Rugby Park and Pittodrie, when he put the team first and played through an injury.

He'll take some shifting mate.
I think he is perfect for tough games against better opposition, but for playing against 10 man walls we need someone who can rip a defence apart with passing

I think he is perfect for tough games against better opposition, but for playing against 10 man walls we need someone who can rip a defence apart with passing
I agree with you there, we need a totally different option who will produce goals and has good skill and can thread a pass through (not easy to find i know), Arfield will play his part but for me we can improve in that area.

Reactions: LD5
I can't see Kent making the Liverpool first team and given how much he enjoys it here there must be a chance we will get him for next season .

Where does he fit into our wage structure though?

We’d have him, Candeias, Jones, Grezda, Murphy and Middleton all vying for two wide places.

And here’s the thing, we probably need to add someone that’s better than them all, Kent included.

We’d have him, Candeias, Jones, Grezda, Murphy and Middleton all vying for two wide places.

And here’s the thing, we probably need to add someone that’s better than them all, Kent included.
I'd loan out Middleton. Murphy I'd shift to attacking mid, personally think he played better there, especially now he's losing pace.

I'd loan out Middleton. Murphy I'd shift to attacking mid, personally think he played better there, especially now he's losing pace.

Middleton will quite probably go out on loan, but he’ll be on one of the lowest salaries at the club so I doubt it’ll be much of a saving.

Murphy will return, but how effective he’ll be after an ACL injury remains to be seen. If he plays though, I doubt it’ll be as an attacking midfielder.

Some have said they’d happily cut our losses on Grezda, but I doubt the club will see it that way.

They spent £2m on this guy so obviously feel he has something about him that’s worth the money, but he hasn’t really had an opportunity to show any of us what he can do yet.

It might seem unlikely given what we little we’ve seen from him to date, but he could just be the player we’re looking for in that role and I doubt the club have any intention of selling him until he’s had a longer run at it in the team first.

So are we then thinking about selling Candeias to fund a better replacement?

Again some are saying yes, and maybe that’s the hard headed approach you need, but given the season he’s had and the fact Gerrard clearly thinks a lot of the guy, I doubt he’s going anywhere either.

So we’re back to having five wide players on the books even without Kent, and as I say, ideally I’d look to add someone better than them all.

Our squad will look like this when the loaned players leave at the end of the season.
McGregor
Wes
Frith
Tavernier
Polster
Halliday
Barisic
Goldson
Katic
Kamara
Jack
Arfield
Mcrorie
Davis?
Docherty
Dorrans
Murphy
Grezda
Jones
Candieas
Morelos
Lafferty
Defoe?
In my opinion we need 2 CBS ,a creative midfielder,2 forwards depending if Defoe or Morelos leave .

Is this the first close season in years where we'll not see a complete overhaul of the squad?

Can only be a good thing and build stability for next season.

At the moment we’ll need to replace:

Worrall
Kent
McAuley
Davis

Add in possible sales of:

Morelos
Tav

So 6 players to come in just to keep us where we are at the moment. It’s not a complete overhaul of the squad but still significant work to be done.

Is this the first close season in years where we'll not see a complete overhaul of the squad?

I think so.

A few squad fillers to go out.

Alfie and tab likely to attract bids

We may not get Kent again

Worrall will be gone

I’d like 2/3 Bosmans, arfield type where they are an upgrade and 2/3 decent fees

Maybe things might depend on what we do with Rossiter, Docherty, Dorrans & Murphy when they return (apart from ditching them that is)

Maybe we'll promote 1 or 2 from our youth squad as well

So maybe it's not all about new signings ?

Although I'm still unconvinced with our central defence - if SG is still not willing to run with NK as 1st choice

A creative mid-fielder seems a good idea

& life without Alfie seems too painful to contemplate

I could see us loaning out Middleton like we did Docherty to help his development a full season at a good level playing week in week out would do him good

2x cb’s
1 wide player
Attacking midfielder
Striker(maybe two)

Fwiw i’d take Halkett and Shinnie for free and spend funds available on the attacking elements mostly.

We can still do with a top centre back ( or 2)
And we absolutely need a dangerous, attacking midfielder and we should be upgrading Lafferty.
So we need to sign X4 in order to upgrade. Plus replace Morelos. We are need X5 quality additions for me in the summer..

Honestly no idea how we're going to replace Morelos or how much it'll cost to get anyone near that level. What a find.

At the moment we’ll need to replace:

Worrall
Kent
McAuley
Davis

Add in possible sales of:

Morelos
Tav

So 6 players to come in just to keep us where we are at the moment. It’s not a complete overhaul of the squad but still significant work to be done.
Scary thing is our 3 best players are in that list

Not a complete overhaul but a few will still be required.
Most of us reluctantly expect Alfie to go so that’s the huge one, albeit if we get around £15mill for him then that will cover our entire transfer window.

Worral and Kent are just on loan so that needs looking at. Katic is the obvious replacement there and we have to hope Jordan Jones can step up like Kamara has and play a big part.

As others have said I’d personally prefer an upgrade on Candeias, I love his work rate and general commitment to the cause but he is far to inconsistent for me.

Seems to be what a lot of people think is all we require to change into a title winning squad.

I think when everyone is fit last night is the current strongest 11. My question is who is moved out of the current starting 11 to make way for them, and aside from a creative mid, where else? Or is it stronger options on the bench to cover suspensions/injuries.
Joe Worrall, for a more commanding centre half with some threat from set pieces.
Ryan Jack, for a more dominant midfielder with an eye for a pass.
Daniel Candeias, for a more accurate crosser and a winger who gets into scoring positions more often.

I honestly don't think we'll see a much better rw than candeias for how we play so for me, that's very much not a priority.

I feel grezda may be our longish term lw as I don't se Kent coming back.

And if course, a centre back and striker as direct replacements to Alfredo and Worrall. If we keep Alfredo for one more season, I think we win the league. Getting a replacement,ike any new player, is a risk. Would fuckinh love it though if we've got a jelavic type player lined up already, from deepest darkest Eastern Europe.

A creative attacking mid in the ejaria mould that would get stuck in more

Probably 2 strikers of decent quality

Keep Kent but if not I feel as though we are fine with Murphy

Another centre back

Jones or grezda to hit form and replace candeais

Depending on tav and Flanagan possibly another right back

*edit* could Murphy be used as a striker then we can bring in another winger? , I was also forgetting Dorrans he’d be useful if stays fit

Last edited:
2 signings of real quality would take us to the next level IMO but that's discounting possible loss of Worrall, Kent, Tav and Morelos.

Keep 2, sign 2 replacements and add another 2 of quality

Where is this idea that Tav is being sold coming from? Everyone keeps saying him and Morelos are going, I don't think Tav is going anywhere for a good few years.

Where is this idea that Tav is being sold coming from? Everyone keeps saying him and Morelos are going, I don't think Tav is going anywhere for a good few years.
If they get offered big money it will be hard to say no

I'd say a good starting point is getting Kent for another year or on a permanent deal. The other key area is finding a suitable, quality replacement for Morelos as it seems he'll be off in the summer. I'd be looking at a strong centre half too as an upgrade on Worral.

I am not so sure about Kent. He is 22-23 not a development player now. He is good but would be looking for big wages and is a bit hot and cold.

I am not so sure about Kent. He is 22-23 not a development player now. He is good but would be looking for big wages and is a bit hot and cold.
He is the most exciting forward we have had since Aluko, he loves it here, could make a fortune off him and I doubt his wages are anything different to the rest of the first team players.

Back