“Balancing up” yellow cards

BlanturBlue

we as a club need to come out and say something about this. Both Alves and Dorrans got booked for shrugging off the other teams aggressor and tav got a yellow for the same thing against hivs after being grabbed round the neck. These are just 3 examples fresh in my mind but these and some other referring decisions are just farcical.

Why did caixinha not raise this in his post match interview -perfect time to do so on a comfortable win.

we as a club need to come out and say something about this. Both Alves and Dorrans got booked for shrugging off the other teams aggressor and tav got a yellow for the same thing against hivs after being grabbed round the neck. These are just 3 examples fresh in my mind but these and some other referring decisions are just farcical.

Why did caixinha not raise this in his post match interview -perfect time to do so on a comfortable win.

Why didn't he raise it?
Because as a club he will get no backing.
As a support, even less so.

He has every right to be pissed but the 'Pedro out' brigade would rather he was sacked than stick up for us.

It was poor by the ref on both occassions, taking the easy way out at our expense. These bookings could lead to suspension further down the line.

It’s a directive set out to referees at all levels. For instance the alves Anderson situation to referee will deem it as mass confrontation as u had 10/11 players involved and in that situation they are directed to issue a minimum one yellow each team. For dorrans one, the two go head to head, granted Davidson is the aggressor but the directive again is two yellows.

It’s crap but that’s what they get told to do. As an amatuer ref myself they should a clip similar to the alves one at the referee meeting last night and they stated those words I’ve said above re: mass confrontations

It’s a directive set out to referees at all levels. For instance the alves Anderson situation to referee will deem it as mass confrontation as u had 10/11 players involved and in that situation they are directed to issue a minimum one yellow each team. For dorrans one, the two go head to head, granted Davidson is the aggressor but the directive again is two yellows.

It’s crap but that’s what they get told to do. As an amatuer ref myself they should a clip similar to the alves one at the referee meeting last night and they stated those words I’ve said above re: mass confrontations

Dorrans does nothing apart from pick himself up and lift the ball after being awarded a foul.

The yellow cards will tell at the business end of the season. Dorrans & Morelos are already on 4 each. The OP is correct in his assessment.

Reactions: zig
Sure fire sign of a piss poor and weak referee. Of which Scotland has loads.

Really grinds my gears when you see one player who clearly instigated a situation who ends up with the same punishment as another who might have done absolutely nothing to cause it.

Sure fire sign of a piss poor and weak referee. Of which Scotland has loads.

Really grinds my gears when you see one player who clearly instigated a situation who ends up with the same punishment as another who might have done absolutely nothing to cause it.

or just another rangers hating cheat.

If I was a manager, I'd be telling my players that if they know they are going to get booked for a tackle, to get in the other players face immediately after the challenge. That way they get booked too.

In fact, I'd outright target players already on a booking.

How that challenge on Alves wasn’t a booking is such a poor decision. It was like black on jelavic and so deliberate

The Dorrans booking was ridiculous as was the corner awarded when Wes would have needed arms at least a couple of feet longer to get a touch. And as for the offside in the first half when Candieas ran through from about 3 yards on that could not be an honest mistake
3 decisions that were individually so bad as to be un fathomable
When the 3 all go the same way then questions need to be asked

I thought the ref wasn't bad tonight although he shouldn't have booked Dorrans. We've had worse.
He wasn't great. He wasn't for giving us a foul on Morelos when Dorrans scored. He never waved play on, he was letting that foul go unpunished. Thankfully we scored.

I thought the ref wasn't bad tonight although he shouldn't have booked Dorrans. We've had worse.
And that's the problem. Just because he was less sh*t than Beaton doesn't mean he had a good game

Agree the ref wasn't bad, he was effing terrible.
On your statement " we've had worse", two wrongs don't make a right.
But at least there is one consultation, OTL will agree with your assessment of the refereeing performance.

If you watch every corner st johnstone had.they were clearly obstructing big Wes.nothing done about it .you watch other games if that happen its a freekick

Butcher's take on the Dorrans booking was baffling. He kept saying that you had to book both players in an incident like that. Why? It's like saying the victim of a crime should be given the same prison sentence as the criminal.

Butcher's take on the Dorrans booking was baffling. He kept saying that you had to book both players in an incident like that. Why? It's like saying the victim of a crime should be given the same prison sentence as the criminal.
Said it last night - if his take is correct then I'd be instructing my players that if it looked like they were getting bored for a challenge to instigates handbags so the opponent gets booked too. It's openly target players already in a booking too.

then in future any time a decent player of the opposition is booked we get a player that isnt booked to square up to him. Opposition down to 10... if true it makes a mockery of football but its a tactic we should use.

They will simply say our player adopted an aggressive attitude = yellow card.
As if you are supposed to just let someone manhandle you.
We should ask for clarification.

They will simply say our player adopted an aggressive attitude = yellow card.
As if you are supposed to just let someone manhandle you.
We should ask for clarification.
By that token, Broonaldo should start every game on a yellow.

Especially given the meeja's favourite adjective for him is 'snarling'.

Last edited:
The same thing happened at Ibrox with Morelos (I think) and Kevin Holt of Dundee. It's the easy way out for the refs.

A good away win with a poor referee.
Like Ross County when Davies should have been sent off.
Like Motherwell when Moult should have been sent off.

If nothing else it shuts up the 'we should be beating x,y,z in spite of bad referees'
That we're winning games shows once and for all that it's not blaming the refs for poor results. Even when we've won with a bit to spare, they are still terrible.

Reactions: cav
If I was a manager, I'd be telling my players that if they know they are going to get booked for a tackle, to get in the other players face immediately after the challenge. That way they get booked too.

In fact, I'd outright target players already on a booking.
And you just know that this is what will end up happening. People will create situations to get players on a yellow a second yellow.
If that is a rule/directive, then it's a very dangerous path to go down.

The yellow cards will tell at the business end of the season. Dorrans & Morelos are already on 4 each. The OP is correct in his assessment.
this is it in a nutshell, a booking last night for f@ck all is going to hurt us at some point this season,,we cant be having the situation where a ref is told to book both players in any incident ,even though it is clear only one is in the wrong,, call it what you like ,but to me that is cheating by the officials

Can't believe Murray Davidson wasn't booked for his challenge on Morelos as Dorrans scored the 3rd could've sworn at the time ( albeit from the ormand stand) that the ref booked him only to see today on match reports he wasn't

One minute we have referees taking refuge behind "game management", discretion, or "in the referee's opinion" and in the next they take refuge behind the dot and comma of the law, as if it's written in stone. They have it both ways.

No wonder inconsistency is rampant. To me it is the source of much of the discontent with referees, where we see identical situations treated differently, time after time.

We have heard this contradiction in nearly every referee thread, week on week, month on month, year on year.

There always has been the above escape route for referees who are simply not good enough.

Last edited:
If the referee wants to let a few go then he can't booked Windass after letting the tackle on Alves go

This is what drives everyone mad.

One minute we have referees taking refuge behind "game management", discretion, or "in the referee's opinion" and in the next they take refuge behind the dot and comma of the law, as if it's written in stone. They have it both ways.

No wonder inconsistency is rampant. To me it is the source of much of the discontent with referees, where we see identical situations treated differently, time after time.

We have heard this contradiction in nearly every referee thread, week on week, month on month, year on year.

There always has been the above escape route for referees who are simply not good enough.

Excellent post.
In the refs opinion and at the refs discretion are absolute cop outs.
Commentators often say 'we don't want to see robots' well I do.
I accept they can't always be right, but to use last seasons semi final as an example,
2 dives, Rangers player booked, sellick player spoken to. It's not even one ref differing from another. This was 2 identical situations in the same game.
We pay our hard earned money to watch this sport.
It ceases to be sport if the referees are allowed to just make it up as they go along.

Excellent post.
In the refs opinion and at the refs discretion are absolute cop outs.
Commentators often say 'we don't want to see robots' well I do.
I accept they can't always be right, but to use last seasons semi final as an example,
2 dives, Rangers player booked, sellick player spoken to. It's not even one ref differing from another. This was 2 identical situations in the same game.
We pay our hard earned money to watch this sport.
It ceases to be sport if the referees are allowed to just make it up as they go along.

Indeed.

Where the 'referee's opionion' explanation doesn't stand up, this is when the other option is wheeled out and the letter of the law option is quoted.

The letter of the law which was mysteriously ignored the week before, when the referee used his "discretion."

They have it both ways, depending on the referee and the teams playing.

The status quo is a recipe for inconsistency, and when it mostly seems to benefit or hinder one team, the accusations of cheating, understandably appear. This is where we are now. It won't change, as Scottish refereeing we are told, is apparently top notch and in great demand in European and World football.

What is never mentioned is that Scottish refs are used because the are theoretically neutral as we never have a team in these bloody competitions.

Because of this there seems to be a thinly veiled complacency and smugness, which will always hinder progress and improvement in any field.

We are excluded fom any balancing up arrangements...as any honest ref not frightened of Liewell''s power base will tell you.

Nope, it's a lack of ability and self belief. Poor refereeing rather than cheating and it doesn't just happen in Scotland.

No, it's cheating.
Plain and simple.
It's done for an easy life.
Punish Rangers, go easy on Celtic. Or Celtic as an institution (from absolutely every level) will make your life hell.
So they cheat.
It's like bribery without the bribe money. Blackmail without the warning beforehand.

And instead of calling it out, they keep their mouth shut and make things easy on themselves and Celtic and hard on Rangers. Cheating,,,,

No, it's cheating.
Plain and simple.
It's done for an easy life.
Punish Rangers, go easy on Celtic. Or Celtic as an institution (from absolutely every level) will make your life hell.
So they cheat.
It's like bribery without the bribe money. Blackmail without the warning beforehand.

And instead of calling it out, they keep their mouth shut and make things easy on themselves and Celtic and hard on Rangers. Cheating,,,,

Well you obviously don't watch a lot of football, or have played the sport at any level. It happens from the BB junior section to the champions league final.

Did Beaton "balance" when he sent Jack off?
What Hibs player got booked in the mass brawl?

McGeouch was booked IIRC. And Dorrans I think. Jack got the red. And the player who committed the foul got away with it.

So in less than a half of 1 game, we had Tavernier booked for being wrestled by Stokes and Dorrans booked for being fouled - and Jack given a straight red in the aftermath.

That's 2 bookings and a red - for 2 fouls to us!

Stokes mass confrontation? No second yellow for him. Tav yellow card for being thrown to the ground? These situations just allow refs to shit out of difficult decisions they are there to make.

I love all this directive shite, new laws, vids, meetings..... lot of bollocks, we have the most dishonest refs anywhere in world sport..... unless wee willie collums reffin chances are you will be watching another cheat bending the rules(or using them when it suits him) to avoid any issues with the many pundits and journos that hate Rangers.

why dont we see the tims getting kicked round the pitch most weeks ? or ever ? cos the refs wouldnt let happen at any point of any of their fixtures.

It's easy to overlook these at the time, but at some point the threshold will be reached incurring a one game suspension and knowing our luck we will end up missing Morelos and Dorrans for the trip to the piggery

It's part of a game to be fair

Same as refs rarely going with a red in the first 5 minutes - always disapoints me when we dont ruin the other teams top player in the first few minutes

Back