“changing the defence”

KL1872

After reading numerous posts on here and on social media regarding the manager changing/rotating the defence “too often” i would like to ask why so many seem to see this as the main problem and not actually that we seem incabable now of doing the basics of defending now,something in which we done very well in the early part of the season. I understand a settled defence can help but the goals we are conceding are coming from not doing the basics right. To me it shouldnt matter who your playing next to, you should still know when to let the ball bounce or clear it,when to show a player outside or whether to tuck in.

I think the problem many see is the McGregor with Goldson, Katic, Tav & Flanagan in front of him was a very settled defence that was growing in trust of each other as the games went by early in the season.

Since Hamilton away the centre back pairings and the left back position are switched about often and it all seems a bit unecessary.

Possibly the players are nervous that one bad game and you’ll be out of the team. In many cases that kind of pressure inspires better performances as people want to keep their place - our squad isn’t quite there yet.

I think the rotation is an issue. I think the benching of Katic really impacted him and on return he looked bereft of confidence - this will come back.
BUT
Surely the issue is further upfield. On Sunday and against the Sheep we lost a single goal in each game because of a long ball which broke for them.
One goal in each game and although the defending for both was poor we scored 1 in reply to get a point at Dundee.
We looked clueless midweek in creating chances and pretty much the same on Sunday.
Of course we want clean sheets but we should not have needed them in either game

After reading numerous posts on here and on social media regarding the manager changing/rotating the defence “too often” i would like to ask why so many seem to see this as the main problem and not actually that we seem incabable now of doing the basics of defending now,something in which we done very well in the early part of the season. I understand a settled defence can help but the goals we are conceding are coming from not doing the basics right. To me it shouldnt matter who your playing next to, you should still know when to let the ball bounce or clear it,when to show a player outside or whether to tuck in.

The whole point they make is the reason it's difficult to do simple things is we keep rotating. Mistakes come from lack of confidence. Confidence comes from several things, one of which having to trust whoever is playing next to you. It's clear to see that goldson for one isn't anywhere near as confident when katic isn't next to him. So he is more nervous, more likely to make mistakes. Less likely of being able to do simple things. Partnership and team work is so important in this area of the pitch. So then the problem esculates with goldson lacking confidence, tav etc have less confidence in him therefore themselves and it spirals out of control. The core is having a solid defensive partnership. I will take all this back should we bring katic back in and after a few games this problem persists

I think the problem many see is the McGregor with Goldson, Katic, Tav & Flanagan in front of him was a very settled defence that was growing in trust of each other as the games went by early in the season.

Since Hamilton away the centre back pairings and the left back position are switched about often and it all seems a bit unecessary.

Possibly the players are nervous that one bad game and you’ll be out of the team. In many cases that kind of pressure inspires better performances as people want to keep their place - our squad isn’t quite there yet.
Bang on. Read what I just posted.

Back