“Group of 23/24 players”

MSF

Thats what Gerrard wants. From the horses mouth at the press conference.

Currently we have

McGregor
Foderingham
Alnwick
Firth
Tavernier
Flanagan
Polster
Goldson
Katic
Edmundson
Helander
Barisic
Halliday
Kamara
Davis
Aribo
Jack
Docherty
Dorrans
Holt
Murphy
Jones
Hastie
Candeias
Dodoo
Middleton
Ojo
Grezda
Lafferty
Stewart
Defoe
Morelos

32 players. If we are to bring 2 more players in (as suggested), we’re looking at 10 players still to leave either permanently or on loan. Who are they?

Currently we have

McGregor
Foderingham
Alnwick
Firth
Tavernier
Flanagan
Polster
Goldson
Katic
Edmundson
Helander
Barisic
Halliday
Kamara
Davis
Aribo
Jack
Docherty
Dorrans
Holt
Murphy
Jones
Hastie
Candeias
Dodoo
Middleton
Ojo
Grezda
Lafferty
Stewart
Defoe
Morelos

32 players. If we are to bring 2 more players in (as suggested), we’re looking at 10 players still to leave either permanently or on loan. Who are they?

That's without including any young players he plans to bring in.

Currently we have

McGregor
Foderingham
Alnwick
Firth
Tavernier
Flanagan
Polster
Goldson
Katic
Edmundson
Helander
Barisic
Halliday
Kamara
Davis
Aribo
Jack
Docherty
Dorrans
Holt

Murphy
Jones
Hastie
Candeias
Dodoo
Middleton

Ojo
Grezda
Lafferty

Stewart
Defoe
Morelos

I think those on bold are who the manager would like to go. I’ve put Candeias in italics because I think it’s the wrong move.

If 10 were to go from that list;

Alnwick
Dorrans
Holt
Grezda
Dodoo
Lafferty
Middleton (Loan)
Hastie (Loan)

Candeias?
Polster (Loan)?

Currently we have

McGregor
Foderingham
Alnwick
Firth
Tavernier
Flanagan
Polster
Goldson
Katic
Edmundson
Helander
Barisic
Halliday
Kamara
Davis
Aribo
Jack
Docherty
Dorrans
Holt
Murphy
Jones
Hastie
Candeias
Dodoo
Middleton
Ojo
Grezda
Lafferty
Stewart
Defoe
Morelos

A group of 23 or 24 players does not necessarily mean the excess players are leaving the club. Sure, we'd like rid but but if we have no offers for some of them then we have no offers for them. You can get down to 24 merely by freezing out the unwanted players.

A group of 23 or 24 players does not necessarily mean the excess players are leaving the club. Sure, we'd like rid but but if we have no offers for some of them then we have no offers for them. You can get down to 24 merely by freezing out the unwanted players.
Not very good financially or for squad morale though is it? We would obviously prefer to get them out, whether that is permanent or on loan.

cant see him touching anyone from defence, probably the first year there has been decent all round cover for a while

Alnwick
Dorrans (most probably a loan)
Holt
Hastie (loan)
Dodoo
Middleton (loan)
Grezda
Lafferty

I'd get shot of:
Alnwick
Firth
Dorrans
Holt
Dodoo
Grezda
Lafferty
Middleton (loan)

That would leave us with 26.

I think the next two are really tough cuts to make, and I'm not sure I would make those cuts. But it would probably have to be two wide/attacking players, and it's probably Murphy and either Candeias or Hastie on loan.

I count 25 who will be about, so assume a couple will move on . I've got 2 teams plus 3 extra front men. I think we need another midfielder so wonder about Docherty (SG may think he'll stay) and Candieas.I count Morelos, Defoe, Stewart,Candeias, Ojo,Hastings, Jones,Arfield and Murphy for front 3 places.

Last edited:

Currently we have

McGregor
Foderingham
Alnwick
Firth
Tavernier
Flanagan
Polster
Goldson
Katic
Edmundson
Helander
Barisic
Halliday
Kamara
Davis
Aribo
Jack
Docherty
Dorrans
Holt
Murphy
Jones
Hastie
Candeias
Dodoo
Middleton
Ojo
Grezda
Lafferty
Stewart
Defoe
Morelos

Alnwick
Polster
Dorrans
Holt
Grezda
Lafferty
Dodoo
Hastie (loan)
Middleton (loan)
Docherty (loan)

Currently we have

McGregor
Foderingham
Alnwick
Firth
Tavernier
Flanagan
Polster
Goldson
Katic
Edmundson
Helander
Barisic
Halliday
Kamara
Davis
Aribo
Jack
Docherty
Dorrans
Holt
Murphy
Jones
Hastie
Candeias
Dodoo
Middleton
Ojo
Grezda
Lafferty
Stewart
Defoe
Morelos

Alnwick, Dorrans, Holt, Middleton (loan), Grezda, Lafferty, Dodoo - takes you to a squad of 25. Still wouldn't be surprised if one of our wide men go - be it Hastie on loan or even a Murphy or Candeias. Especially if we get Kent back. Then it is one in one out policy.

McGregor
Foderingham
Alnwick
Firth
Tavernier
Flanagan
Polster
Goldson
Katic
Edmundson
Helander
Barisic
Halliday
Kamara
Davis
Aribo
Jack
Docherty
Dorrans
Holt

Murphy
Jones
Hastie
Candeias
Dodoo
Middleton

Ojo
Grezda
Lafferty

Stewart
Defoe
Morelos

That's who I think will go. Murphy will be given time up to the window to prove his fitness and a decision will be made then about whether him or Hastie go out on loan.

Not very good financially or for squad morale though is it? We would obviously prefer to get them out, whether that is permanent or on loan.

I did not suggest it was good financially but if we can't get someone to take them then our options are limited. Morale? I assume it's not good for the morale of the player(s) frozen out. What is the effect on squad morale having a bunch of players hanging around doing little for the cause though? That question is best answered by great managers, motivational bods and the like NOT folk like you or I on an internet forum.

McGregor
Foderingham
Alnwick
Firth
Tavernier
Flanagan
Polster
Goldson
Katic
Edmundson
Helander
Barisic
Halliday
Kamara
Davis
Aribo
Jack
Docherty
Dorrans
Holt

Murphy
Jones
Hastie
Candeias
Dodoo
Middleton

Ojo
Grezda
Lafferty

Stewart
Defoe
Morelos

That's who I think will go. Murphy will be given time up to the window to prove his fitness and a decision will be made then about whether him or Hastie go out on loan.

That’s a fair list and who I’d like to see go.

Loaning Murphy would be madness for me.

Hastie can go out, but Murphy is a seasoned pro, who’ll contribute, a lot.

Currently we have

McGregor
Foderingham
Alnwick
Firth
Tavernier
Flanagan
Polster
Goldson
Katic
Edmundson
Helander
Barisic
Halliday
Kamara
Davis
Aribo
Jack
Docherty
Dorrans
Holt
Murphy
Jones
Hastie
Candeias
Dodoo
Middleton
Ojo
Grezda
Lafferty
Stewart
Defoe
Morelos

As things stand, I see little, or no future for.......

Alnwick
Dorrans
Holt
Candeias
Dodo
Lafferty
Grezda

Middleton to go on loan.

That leaves 24, at the moment.

I'd get shot of:
Alnwick
Firth
Dorrans
Holt
Dodoo
Grezda
Lafferty
Middleton (loan)

That would leave us with 26.

I think the next two are really tough cuts to make, and I'm not sure I would make those cuts. But it would probably have to be two wide/attacking players, and it's probably Murphy and either Candeias or Hastie on loan.

Firth has just signed a new contract and will remain as 3rd choice keeper mate.

I did not suggest it was good financially but if we can't get someone to take them then our options are limited. Morale? I assume it's not good for the morale of the player(s) frozen out. What is the effect on squad morale having a bunch of players hanging around doing little for the cause though? That question is best answered by great managers, motivational bods and the like NOT folk like you or I on an internet forum.
Can guarantee that having players frozen out that are unhappy is not good for morale, and we won’t want it. Don’t need to be a manager to tell you that.

That’s a fair list and who I’d like to see go.

Loaning Murphy would be madness for me.

Hastie can go out, but Murphy is a seasoned pro, who’ll contribute, a lot
I completely agree. I think if Murphy has fully recovered from that injury he can play a real part this season. Even as our 3rd CF option

Some not very clever people on this forum

Halliday ain't going nowhere, he is 2nd choice left back and can also fill in the midfield.

He isn’t the second choice left back, Flanagan finished last season playing left back when Andy was fit. FWIW I don’t think Andy will be going anywhere.

It was made public a while ago now that Gredza, Lafferty, Dorrans, Dodoo and Holt were surplus to requirements. Hopefully their agents can get enough interest from somewhere soon and we're not having to accept loan deals late in the window.

McGregor
Fod
Firth

Tav
Polster

Goldson
Helander
Katic
Edmundson

Borna
Flanno

Davis
Kamara
Aribo
Jack
Doc
Halliday

Arfield
Ojo
Murphy
Candeias
Jones
Hastie?

Morelos
Defoe
Stewart

We are pretty well covered now.

I’d swap Hastie for Kent and that would be my squad for 55.

We need to remember that we are a lot further along in our recruitment than most clubs. Plenty of time to offload these players.

We’ll need to wait until some of the duds’ contracts are up at the end of the 2020 and 2021 season, unless they’re willing to move on.

I wouldn’t be against paying off some of these boys. It would make sense to shake hands on six months wage up front to say bye bye as opposed to paying them for a year, we’d still be saving money.

Some not very clever people on this forum

Halliday ain't going nowhere, he is 2nd choice left back and can also fill in the midfield.

Flanagan was playing there towards the end of the season. We've also got plenty of bodies in midfield now so I don't really see where Halliday fits in.

He's 3rd choice left back and way down the pecking order in midfield.

We’ll need to wait until some of the duds’ contracts are up at the end of the 2020 and 2021 season, unless they’re willing to move on.

I wouldn’t be against paying off some of these boys. It would make sense to shake hands on six months wage up front to say bye bye as opposed to paying them for a year, we’d still be saving money.

I think you’d struggle to get many of them to agree to give up half there potential salary to go and get paid less somewhere else.

Firth has just signed a new contract and will remain as 3rd choice keeper mate.
Aye I know, just saying I would personally have gotten shot of him.

Probably has to be Flanagan after that, but I doubt it'll happen.

I'm assuming that of the 1/2 coming in, the second is conditional on Morelos.

Problem is, most of the players in question here will be on a decent wage, couple that with not being good enough. Leaves, not much interest in them / incentive for them to leave.

Aye I know, just saying I would personally have gotten shot of him.

Probably has to be Flanagan after that, but I doubt it'll happen.

I'm assuming that of the 1/2 coming in, the second is conditional on Morelos.

I think Firth is happy enough to be 3rd choice keeper, so that's why he'll probably stay mate.

I think Flanagan will be ok, but although Candeias played well for 45 minutes at the weekend, I still think he's vulnerable.

The fact that he never made the Euro squad and Gerrard has signed a couple of players with better goal and assists stats, in the same position as him, looks a bit ominous for him I think.

Time will tell.

Out of interest why Flanagan ? he has shown he is very capable at left back when required
Not saying that S English is thinking along these lines, but there's an inheritent dislike of Flanagan by some people for reasons that I don't think even they know. Or maybe it's the Irish ancestry, he's a good player to have in the squad regardless.

I think Firth is happy enough to be 3rd choice keeper, so that's why he'll probably stay mate.

I think Flanagan will be ok, but although Candeias played well for 45 minutes at the weekend, I still think he's vulnerable.

The fact that he never made the Euro squad and Gerrard has signed a couple of players with better goal and assists stats, in the same position as him, looks a bit ominous for him I think.

Time will tell.
I still think it's prudent to keep Candeias. He's still very useful for games against high-quality opposition, where we have to defend from the front. I don't see another wide player that offers that kind of workrate and intelligent pressing.

Alnwick
Holt
Dodoo
Grezda
Lafferty
Dorrans
Middleton - loan
Hastie - loan Only if Murphy is back firing.

Reckon that should be a sound squad with plenty of depth and cover.

I still think it's prudent to keep Candeias. He's still very useful for games against high-quality opposition, where we have to defend from the front. I don't see another wide player that offers that kind of workrate and intelligent pressing.

I know where you're coming from mate, especially away from home in Europe.

I'm not sure Gerrard agrees though.

Out of interest why Flanagan ? he has shown he is very capable at left back when required
Purely to trim the squad, no inherent dislike for him for any reason Knightswoodbear, he did a job last season and it was appreciated.
I like my fullbacks to attack and he's more of a defensive fullback, I don't like right footed players on the left of defence and he'd probably be on a decent wage we could free up.

None of this will shift some folk from obsessing about the “first eleven” though.

If we play 60-odd matches this season then I doubt many will play in more that 45 of those. Small changes keep things fresh, I think Gerrard learned from making multiple changes every game in the autumn/winter of last season.

Personally I’d try and get Middleton and Docherty out on loan and either sell or loan Alnwick, Dorrans, Holt, Dodoo, Grezda and Lafferty (preferably to SPL teams).

Isn’t Herrera still on the books as well? He also falls into this category. Hastie left today as well.

Unbelievable that Dodoo is still under contract.

I think there may be a couple of surprising departures if appropriate offers come in for Docherty and Murphy.

Alnwick
Docherty
Dorrans
Holt
Murphy
Dodoo
Middleton (loan)
Grezda
Lafferty

Unfortunately I doubt it will be easy to shift a few of those players.

Alnwick
Halliday
Dorrans
Holt
Murphy
Hastie
Dodoo
Middleton
Grezda
Lafferty

That's who I'd go for he's looking to move on.

If we bring in a left-back, you could add Flannagan to that list.

Murphy should stay. See Docherty on some peoples lists but i think this would be crazy. He's done the best he could on loan to win a place in our squad and i think he will be an important squad play. He needs to prove to the players going out on loan this season that there is a way back.

Back