“I don’t deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Walter Smith” - Steven Gerrard

Steven Gerrard is the perfect fit for the job as it is today. All the class and stature of a traditional Rangers manager but at the same time a man of the 21st century in the way he communicates and handles his players.
The game has moved on from the old style bosses and we have moved with the times while still having a man of suitable standing at the helm.
Gerrard has been immense for us this season, he has turned into a top class coach and he oozes class.
Can’t think of anyone other than him to be our boss right now.

Contrast and compare with the classless tramp who said he could "stand beside mcneil and stein" after winning the league when we were docked points.

At the end of this season he will realise what he has achieved, legendary status from every person who holds the Rangers close to their heart. Mr Gerrard you will be mentioned forever along with every legend that has walked through the front door of Ibrox. You have earned that accolade.

Really proud of our manager especially when he's such a young man,well done Steven

he's humble, generous in praise for others,conducts himself in an immaculate manner and above all else just exudes class,all the things we have come to expect from past managers of our great club , who knows where his managerial career will take him years from now,but I'm wiling to guess a small part of his heart will always be at Ibrox

I don’t think any Rangers manager in my lifetime anyway, has had to come in and start from where he did, also throw in a corrupt SPL/SPFL, openly hostile media and as a rookie manager as well, limited budget and in less than 3 years! I don’t say this lightly but he already deserves to be mentioned among the best for me

I get goosebumps anytime he speaks. What a man!
His post match interview about the Covid situation put a lot of folk to shame! I don't think I've ever had as much respect for one man ever! I am just enjoying every minute of this because one day he is going to break my heart

He's right...but a few more years of titles, progress in Europe and he will get there. Certainly on the right path early on!

A brilliant humble show of respect towards Walter from Gerrard. And while he says that, he IS about to become a Rangers legend, whether he likes it or not.

Unbelievably proud of the management team and these players.
Total class from Gerrard

Gerrard's European record means that, in my eyes at least, he can be regarded as being equally successful (and perhaps even more assured) in Europe that Walter. We have seen three years now of very assured performances in Europe under the Gerrard's guidance.

That's a massive achievement, and long may it continue.

I'm sure that Walter is delighted at the job Gerrard, his backroom team, and the players are doing on the European stage, not to mention their league progress.

I will be a bore and agree with him for now. But if he starts bringing the trophies home regularly from now he absolutely will be mentioned in the same breath as Walter and rightly so.

in about 3 weeks when the title is confirmed he will rightly be in that bracket, because this is the single most important title in our history and because of where we had to come from to win it.

Walter for me is the greatest ever Ranger and will be for a long time, but in terms of massive figures in our history Gerrard is very close to entering that pantheon.

I'm 41 and this is squad of players are up there with the best teams I've ever seen us have. We may not have that world class genius or superstar like we have before but collectively this team will give anyone a run for their money.

We're a proper modern football team and that's down to one man, Steven Gerrard. If he stays with us for 3/4 years then the sky is the limit.

I just wish we could be at the games to let them really know what this means to us. We're Rangers.

Class from the gaffer as alway,deferring to Watty and rightly so.The impact that he has had on our club will put him down in history along with another legend who stopped a ten in a row.Fans of a certain vintage will remember Jock Wallace.

That's Gerrard now also bettering Walter's win ratio over both his spells. Different times, but the domestic difference in quality is probably balanced out by the starting positions both had.

It’s probably better to appreciate the two of them, instead of it becoming a Ronaldo vs Messi debate where people end up picking an opinion and arguing about it. Sir Walter is up there with the greatest Rangers to have lived, a man that won an incredible amount of trophies and gave us some of our best memories. Gerrard (and his team) have lifted us from some of our darkest days, when we went into OF games hoping not to be pumped, to having a swagger domestically and in Europe that makes teams fear us again. The good times have just started

Doing & saying all the right things. A credit to Rangers, Liverpool, England & Great Britain.
What a future he has, let's enjoy it while he's with us.

He was definitely a better player than Walter :))

No disrespect to Walter, but I much prefer watching this Rangers team, attack over defense for me.
Walter during 9iar was much more attack minded than in his second stint. It cost us numerous times in Europe.

The comparisons in European wins annoy me tbh... Walter's teams were CL regulars(largely)...

Not having that mate. Walter had a bigger budget and there were plenty ties against smaller teams that we should've won but didn't. Walter also had much more games.

Not to downplay Walter at all as 92/93 and 07/08 speak for themselves but there isn't that much difference between the standard of sides that we've won against. Gerrard has Feyenoord, Porto, Galatasary all on his list.

Walter has Leeds, Sporting, Werder Bremen, Stuttgart, Lyon....

Lot of good draws for them both too of course.

And who met him, liked the cut of his job and brought him here ? The same man who twigged the previous two early doors.
Never forget what mr King did for us and our club.
BB

He was definitely a better player than Walter :))

No disrespect to Walter, but I much prefer watching this Rangers team, attack over defense for me.
I am 45 and have never seen Rangers play this way in Europe and consistently get results.

Speaks very well with the press and commands respect, partly because he is SG but also how he conducts himself. Also with Borna and Tav we have people who can conduct an interview with humility and passion - great all round.

Hands up!
I was a longtime critic of Walter's style of football, after his first two seasons. He was, in my opinion, overly negative far far too often.
His record his Europe was, two seasons apart, deplorable....but he did what any Rangers manager has to do.....win.

I've enjoyed the football under Gerrard far more than I did under Walter. We may not have Gascoinge or a Laudrup to watch but we have a team that are well coached and know what they're supposed to be doing, that wasn't always the case under Walter.

Gerrard is correct in his assertion that he cannot be mentioned in the same breath as Walter and that will be the case until such times as he has multiple trophies to his name,but for this bear,the football is so much more pleasing on the eye and our European performances are so much better under Steven Gerrard.

Back