“I need Helander back fit sharpish”

We can debate all we want, but if SG really think Hellander is the answer or even part of it he is sadly mistaken.
Im faster than him, go beyond him and he is not getting there.

Im inclined to think Edmunson is the best we have to partner Goldston.

But not convinced about that either.

Our manager leaves a lot to be desired with his comments in the press. Imagine being any of the centre half’s and hearing your Gaffer come out with this, wouldn’t exactly please you.

They will be disappointed with their performances. The manager will have let them know what he thought. If they can't handle criticism there's no hope for them. They need to knuckle down, train like demons and turn it around or they're toast at Rangers.

Helander being left sided brings better balance to the team. Goldson being our most experienced centre half should play on the left side when Helander is out.
We need a strong defensive midfielder away from home in the SPFL. We are the softest touch in the league.
Been saying this for months. Katic and Edmundson are younger, less experienced players asked to play on the left when both are right footed. Put your experienced right footed man to the left and let the less experienced player play his natural game without having to continually come back onto his stronger foot to make the pass or readjust to make a challenge.
MIGHT just work. Can’t be any worse than it is at the moment surely, with our only natural left footed centre half out.

Anyone thinking Helander is the answer is kidding themselves on , he was rank before his injury and I remember several members on here wanting him replaced with Niko.
IMHO Goldson is terrible and can't pass out from the back , 9 times out of ten losses the ball and the defence is instantly on the back foot , did this a few times against Braga.

Last edited:
Would like to see edmundson get his chance . He’s been decent every game he’s played for us and his passing range could be handy as we’re far too slow moving the ball out of defence

So , helander will be the defensive hero coming back ?

He is a great reader of the game and can definitely play but he’s as slow as f uck and gives me the fear

Quality centre half needed In the summer if not two

Our manager leaves a lot to be desired with his comments in the press. Imagine being any of the centre half’s and hearing your Gaffer come out with this, wouldn’t exactly please you.
Gerrard's interviews and dealings with the press are invariably spot on. There is nothing wrong with him being honest. Our centre-halves are professional footballers; I'm sure they won't take it personally.

What the %^*& is wrong with Helander anyway? He took a kick to the foot in the scum game before Christmas and hasn’t been seen since. What’s the problem with him?

We've gone from threads saying we have 4 excellent centre backs to now apparently we have none.

But this is Follow Follow mate, we both know there is no in between.
That’s what makes the highs like Thursday so high, and the lows like yesterday so low.
It’s helpful if you can see through the hyperbole, but too often we get swept away in the euphoria or next crisis.

Gerrard's interviews and dealings with the press are invariably spot on. There is nothing wrong with him being honest. Our centre-halves are professional footballers; I'm sure they won't take it personally.
I just feel he talks as a captain, not a manager. His constant throwing of players under the bus won’t do any good

Haven‘t read the full thread - do we have Helander’s stats? Did we not keep clean sheets in about 75% of the games he played so far including Europe? Pretty obvious that Helander and Goldson is the best pairing. Although I do wonder if we still need to go up another level.

Whoever doesn't play centre half becomes a world beater after a defeat, Katic had a poor game but he has had plenty of good ones and depending on what happens in the next few days may have given us the highlight of our season at Savile Row in December.

Haven‘t read the full thread - do we have Helander’s stats? Did we not keep clean sheets in about 75% of the games he played so far including Europe? Pretty obvious that Helander and Goldson is the best pairing. Although I do wonder if we still need to go up another level.
In all competitions it looks about 60% from 17 games. Katic is about 50% from 10 more games played. Goldsons is about 50% if i counted right there from 46 played. Edmundsons looks to be alnost 70%.

We were flying at 2–1 up , so why change it ? Go and finish them off ffs . Also , u Mr Gerrard signed and picked Katic n Goldson ...they are rank rotten at times !!

We were flying at 2–1 up , so why change it ? Go and finish them off ffs . Also , u Mr Gerrard signed and picked Katic n Goldson ...they are rank rotten at times !!
Our problem is not the defence, and the defence overall is better than its given credit for.

Would be looking to sell Katic in the summer. It’s the same inconsistent shite in both seasons now. He’s still making the same errors, jumping for high balls when he shouldn’t, also very poor positionally for a centre back. Sell him

Those flaws are both fairly easy to coach out of a player. He has attributes that could lead him to being a fantastic player and he has some flaws. We should absolutely be working on him rather that binning him.

People won't like this.

Gerrard is going to have to learn to shut his mouth and talk in the dressing room only. He's a manager, not on a supporters bus.

Any other gaffer in the league we'd laugh at for a comment like this. Wee bit of decorum and thought is missing
I agree SG needs to reign in his honesty. At first it was refreshing. Now it’s counterproductive and he needs to learn quickly that this is not the way to get the best out of our (his) players.

Gerrard has made a rod for his own back with this one.

A few times, Katic has been unfairly dropped after 1 poor game. The same thing happened with Edmondson after Hamilton.

He is basically saying to Katic and Edmondson "You are crap".............yet, he still has to rely on them.

Poor man-management.

I keep hearing this "throwing the players under a bus". One lot of shite. Can the manager not come out and criticize the players now? If a player keeps making mistakes the manager has every right to be able to say something about it. If the player takes the hump then it says more about him than it does the manager. Wee Dick wasn't slow in letting the players know it wasn't good enough.

We can debate all we want, but if SG really think Hellander is the answer or even part of it he is sadly mistaken.
Im faster than him, go beyond him and he is not getting there.

Im inclined to think Edmunson is the best we have to partner Goldston.

But not convinced about that either.
Totally agree

Honestly mate, I’m starting to think this myself as well. He just looks a Different guy. Difficult to explain but more than anything he just looks a bit fed up. Dunno if that’s with the players, the club, himself, things not working.
He just seems different.
Nonsense... he didn’t look fed up last Thursday when he was running around the touch line when the 3rd goal went in.
He also said he was trying to keep his emotions in check during games. People read far too much into this, especially after a bad result

Gerrard has made a rod for his own back with this one.

A few times, Katic has been unfairly dropped after 1 poor game. The same thing happened with Edmondson after Hamilton.

He is basically saying to Katic and Edmondson "You are crap".............yet, he still has to rely on them.

Poor man-management.
I look on it as taking a young centre half out the firing line after a bad game to protect him.

I keep hearing this "throwing the players under a bus". One lot of shite. Can the manager not come out and criticize the players now? If a player keeps making mistakes the manager has every right to be able to say something about it. If the player takes the hump then it says more about him than it does the manager. Wee Dick wasn't slow in letting the players know it wasn't good enough.

Does it work that way with Tavernier, with Goldson? No, only a selected few. Tavernier has thrown away a few games this season.

Can the support not criticise the manager if he keeps on making mistakes? Plenty of our support take the hump when the manager is criticised.

Does it work that way with Tavernier, with Goldson? No, only a selected few. Tavernier has thrown away a few games this season.

Can the support not criticise the manager if he keeps on making mistakes? Plenty of our support take the hump when the manager is criticised.

I don't have any issues if the criticism is justified. But when it's bordering on abuse then it's out of order. When it's gtf or something similar then there's no need for it. As for not criticizing Tav or Goldson I can't answer for Gerrard but I think it might be because he sees them as the senior players. He doesn't need to tell them they've fucked it because the player themselves know it.

I think we’re seeing Gerrard start to crack under the pressure.

Everyone is to blame apart from himself when in reality his insistence on playing the same tactics with almost the same players week after week is what is harming us.

We aren’t Liverpool, don’t have the same talent at our disposal, so he shouldn’t expect us to play like them.

Warburton was slated for having the same approach.

I don't have any issues if the criticism is justified. But when it's bordering on abuse then it's out of order. When it's gtf or something similar then there's no need for it. As for not criticizing Tav or Goldson I can't answer for Gerrard but I think it might be because he sees them as the senior players. He doesn't need to tell them they've fucked it because the player themselves know it.

Tavernier went through a spell where he was just brutal. Not a peep was said nor was he removed from the firing line.

Senior players need a rocket some times too. Especially ones who are bulletproof.

Abuse towards Gerrard or a player just shows people don't have the ability to debate, put their opinions across, constructive criticism.

Tavernier went through a spell where he was just brutal. Not a peep was said nor was he removed from the firing line.

Senior players need a rocket some times too. Especially ones who are bulletproof.

Abuse towards Gerrard or a player just shows people don't have the ability to debate, put their opinions across, constructive criticism.

Gerrard's made mistakes. Of course he has but he knows the players better than us. It's about man management and who he thinks needs a rocket and who needs an arm around their shoulder. He sees Katic as not being the finished article and the 2 we've mentioned as the senior seasoned professionals. That's my take on it.

Gerrard won us the game on sunday and katic cost us the 2 points. two obvious mistakes, but not isolated incidents. Sorry, he has potential but you need a thick skin to play for big clubs.

Those flaws are both fairly easy to coach out of a player. He has attributes that could lead him to being a fantastic player and he has some flaws. We should absolutely be working on him rather that binning him.
But ultimately, it’s been 2 years now and those same flaws still exist in his game as they did when he came here

Gerrard won us the game on sunday and katic cost us the 2 points. two obvious mistakes, but not isolated incidents. Sorry, he has potential but you need a thick skin to play for big clubs.
One person had the chance to remove that risk and didn't do it.

You can't say he won us the game and Katic lost us it when he changed shape, we suddenly played better before bizzarely reverting to the original shape and looking woeful again.

Katic was to blame for the goals. Somebody left somebody having a nightmare on. That somebody is where the blame lies.

Helander has turned into some player whilst he has been out injured. Has had some good games and equally some poor games.

To be fair to the guy. When he was fit we were winning domestic games consistently and looked mostly solid with him in the side. Both Katic and Helander have their strengths and weaknesses. Nobody is saying he fixes everything but he would have lessened the burden on Katic currently. Seems Katic got periodically dropped for a reason. He's not the finished article yet. Neither is Edmundson.

Back