“The banter years”

Can we please bloody stop using this phrase to describe what has happened to our club over the last few years please!!

This phrase is used by Rangers haters as a put down and a means of how it was all funny to them. It was used as a piss take.

Stop let’s stop using it eh??

Luckily, I don't care what Rangers haters do. It was a term coined by us to "soften" the memories of the absolute sh1t we went through.

I've used it amongst mates before, a bit of self-deprecating humour. What we've been through has been painful and emotional and frustrating and infuriating. It's not been banterous for a second but at times gallows humour hasn't softened the pain.

That being said, Murty doing a headstand did put a smile on my face.

It’s fuucking awful. People thinking they are somehow gaining the upper hand in what happened to us are deluding themselves. It’s the equivalent of the bheasts saying ‘the Paedo years.’ It’s horrific and should be stopped.
It's nowhere near the same as the peadophiles years, and from personal experience it bugged the tits off tims.

It's really no big deal, not a phrase I'd use TBH and one I've only ever seen on FF, used by Bears.

For what it's worth those years in the lower leagues, especially the fourth and third tier, were shameful, I'll never forgive Murray and Whyte for their roles in getting us there.

Why so serious?

Every Rangers was obviously deeply affected by what happened. It's an ironic name if anything. No one is laughing at it at all.

It's nowhere near the same as the peadophiles years, and from personal experience it bugged the tits off tims.
It’s precisely the same. It’s absolutely ridiculous and needs binned. In years to come, books will show their titles, they will not have asterisks, as much as we all know they were compromised. Rangers fans using this term is an absolutely riddy. It’s a total embarrassment. People need to get a grip.

Was it not a term coined on here? I remember the thread on the old board and then it made the papers.

Phrases catch on quick when you're at Ibrox...

It’s fuucking awful. People thinking they are somehow gaining the upper hand in what happened to us are deluding themselves. It’s the equivalent of the bheasts saying ‘the Paedo years.’ It’s horrific and should be stopped.

Aye, it’s the equivalent of saying ‘the paedo years’ :confused:

It’s precisely the same. It’s absolutely ridiculous and needs binned. In years to come, books will show their titles, they will not have asterisks, as much as we all know they were compromised. Rangers fans using this term is an absolutely riddy. It’s a total embarrassment. People need to get a grip.

No, you need to get the grip. It's not comparable in the slightest.

Some of the stuff that happened in those "banter years" were beyond ludicrous. What happened at Celtic was utterly revolting and they should be shut down. No one using Banter Years is excusing what the criminals done.

Losing to team in the 3rd Division when their manager wasn't even there because he was getting married. Come on, if you hadn't laughed you'd have cried.

That's before we get into McCoist instructing his players to try and belt his bare arse with balls in training.

Exactly. But let the Staunch Loyal moaning bastards think that Rangers fans are making light of what Craig Whyte done.

No, you need to get the grip. It's not comparable in the slightest.

Some of the stuff that happened in those "banter years" were beyond ludicrous. What happened at Celtic was utterly revolting and they should be shut down. No one using Banter Years is excusing what the criminals done.
It’s a fuucking embarrassment.

Whether you agree with my analogy or not, Rangers fans using his term are a fuucking monumental embarrassment.

Time people got with the programme.

It's a terrible analogy, and frankly to compare Rangers fans with Peado Harbourers, its pretty disgraceful.
No-one is comparing Rangers fans to Paedo harborers. I am saying Rangers fans using the phrase of banter years is the equivalent of bheasts using that term about their club.

There is nothing banter about what happened to us and idiots using the ‘banter years,’ are a total embarrassment.

No-one is comparing Rangers fans to Paedo harborers. I am saying Rangers fans using the phrase of banter years is the equivalent of bheasts using that term about their club.

There is nothing banter about what happened to us and idiots using the ‘banter years,’ are a total embarrassment.

It is not the equivalent at all. What a mental thing to say.

Maybe if they called the 90s the "biscuit tin years" or the "mars bar years" or something. But what a stupid thing to equate to a bit of self-depreciating humour.

Humour is the best coping mechanism there is. Appears there's a bypass of it in Scotland these days, which didn't use to be the case.

If we can laugh about it, they can't get to us.

Or perhaps we should change it to the Whyte hijack, Green making tea with his big hands, Somers in the tent, Ally's bear arse, Hutton's darts trophy, Ian Black, £72m disappearing, petrofac defeat sing song, stock market announcement, Sports Direct invasion, wonga loan, asset sale, pitch geography, Pedro cartel, record humping..... years.

Doesn't quite roll off the tongue as good as "the banter years."

Get off your high horse.

It's not about people sitting laughing at the downfall of the club, it was some of the ludicrous moments that went with it like Moshni kicking the Motherwell boy up the arse.

It relates to the stories bears had travelling around all the tiny grounds in Scotland, McCoist's comedy act in the dugout and some of the bloody awful players we had on our books.

We made light of it to keep ourselves sane.

The stuff at board level was never considered all fun and games. The fans played a massive part in driving the spivs out in the end.

Stop being such a touchy tart.

People trying to be hyper-staunch not having a giggle thinking back to Ian Black and the rest in that kit photo shoot where all they had were the size XL shorts.

It was anything but banter. We were fcuked over from pillar to post by all and sundry. We were kicked when we were down and continue to be hated by those who wanted us gone for good.
I'm suspicious of anyone still using that term.
I try not to think about that period and for any real fan, it's best forgotten about. Well, apart from those who played their part in the attempted demise of our club, their cards will be marked long after I'm gone.
Banter and genuine hatred are two very different things. Wise up!

Last edited:
Get off your high horse.

It's not about people sitting laughing at the downfall of the club, it was some of the ludicrous moments that went with it like Moshni kicking the Motherwell boy up the arse.

It relates to the stories bears had travelling around all the tiny grounds in Scotland, McCoist's comedy act in the dugout and some of the bloody awful players we had on our books.

We made light of it to keep ourselves sane.

The stuff at board level was never considered all fun and games. The fans played a massive part in driving the spivs out in the end.

Stop being such a touchy tart.
I’m not on my high horse. It’s a joke that people can even delude themselves into thinking this term is appropriate. It’s a fuucking embarrassment.

It wound them up no end that we went down to the third division and weren't wallowing in self pity, filling Ibrox every weekend and able to laugh at the ridiculousness of the situations we found ourselves in while their attendances dropped massively and the titles they were winning felt hollow as much as they tried to act like they weren't.

Back