“The banter years”

Luckily, I don't care what Rangers haters do. It was a term coined by us to "soften" the memories of the absolute sh1t we went through.

This is my take. We were in an incredibly dark place and where there was opportunities to take a lighter view of things, we took it. I see this as more of a coping mechanism than any effort to undermine what we went through

This is nothing about being staunch and everything about self-respect. It’s the equivalent of your wife cheating on you and you laughing it off because ‘she’s a shagger.’

You might be happy to self-deprecate over the worst years in our history but it’s not for me.

There is nothing funny about clubs trying to kill us, spivs fleecing us and the paedos racking up nothing titles that will not be reflected as such by the record books.

To reiterate this is not some attempt to be uber but I just cannot understand the would be sanity of Rangers fans laughing this off before our rivals do.

The term is utterly shameful and Rangers fans using it need to reconsider.
Do you think I'm sitting here chuckling about people losing their jobs and fraud being committed upon us, which ultimately went unpunished? The analogy with calling your wife "a shagger" is bizarre and not equivalent, although not quite as disgusting as the "paedo years" one you used earlier.

This thread is a good example of when an angry person tells you 'this isn't funny', it almost invariably is.

Can we please bloody stop using this phrase to describe what has happened to our club over the last few years please!!

This phrase is used by Rangers haters as a put down and a means of how it was all funny to them. It was used as a piss take.

Stop let’s stop using it eh??
You get my vote.
There are a number of more apt names we could use, most of which could apply any other era though.
Like “the hatred years”.
The “let’s all try to kill the Rangers” years.

I don’t see the correlation. I don’t personally use the phrase but I understand why people do. Doesn’t mean I, or they, hate what happened to us or the organisations/people that did it any less.
Mate, it just comes across as mocking us or laughing about what happened. I know that’s not the intention but that’s how it’s perceived by many people. If we said the ‘asterisk years’ or the ‘nothing years,’ or similar, I would probably feel differently but banter years makes me fuucking angry. We are still recovering from what all these bast@rds put us through. We lost a squad worth £30m, wre the victims of massive fraud, were demoted to play 4 years against painters and plasterers and our reputation took a massive hit, not to mention allowing others to get nearer our world record of titles. Banter is probably the word I would least associate with it all, in the entire English language.

Do you think I'm sitting here chuckling about people losing their jobs and fraud being committed upon us, which ultimately went unpunished? The analogy with calling your wife "a shagger" is bizarre and not equivalent, although not quite as disgusting as the "paedo years" one you used earlier.

This thread is a good example of when an angry person tells you 'this isn't funny', it almost invariably is.
Nothing is funny about what we went through and with that I’m leaving the thread. It’s just not worth the hassle.

The whole episode, which has yet to be formally concluded, was and still is shambolic (specifically Ashley & SD still hanging around).

‘The banter years’ is the correct term to use. As others have stated, if you didn’t laugh you’d be suicidal as some of the stuff going on was hard to believe.

It was if there was a Tim who had been granted 3 wishes by a genie and came out with some of the most ridiculous chain of events imaginable.

We had a player called Celik, an owner called Whyte and a CEO called Green who’s solicitor was called Ireland.

WTF!!!

Aye but not why I posted all this in first place mate lol

Honestly i get it from Timmy constantly and other rangers haters.

It’s like it’s main stream and in few years will be used to label a crap time for all of us.

I get folk are using it in humour but gotta remember we still all hear yer clubs dead constantly. The phrase is used as part of this.

Stop talking to tims and Rangers haters. Thats your fault.

The whole episode, which has yet to be formally concluded, was and still is shambolic (specifically Ashley & SD still hanging around).

‘The banter years’ is the correct term to use. As others have stated, if you didn’t laugh you’d be suicidal as some of the stuff going on was hard to believe.

It was if there was a Tim who had been granted 3 wishes by a genie and came out with some of the most ridiculous chain of events imaginable.

We had a player called Celik, an owner called Whyte and a CEO called Green who’s solicitor was called Ireland.

WTF!!!

That last paragraph best sums up the use of the term 'Banter Years'.

Everyone read that paragraph out loud and try not to laugh?

It's a light hearted phrase that a lot of bears use, it doesnt mean those of us that use it didn't hate Whyte / Green / Ashley / Easdales / Any other c*nt who was involved, anymore than the next man.

Last edited:
Doesn't put me up nor down to be honest.

Teams down south often refer to the 'banter era' when talking about troubling periods for their clubs.

If you don't like it you don't have to use it but I won't be losing any sleep about it.

New%2BPioneers_zpsur1lntcs.jpg

This painting for a start.

lol5.JPG.8eda65260134aa75e3047e2c8711f3ea.JPG

These fucking strips. Look at Foster's shorts ffs.

I like the term 'the banter years'. You couldn't help but laugh most of the time or you'd end up suicidal.

There were so many ridiculous things that happened in those years that most people will have forgotten half of them.

That picture and portrait is so fcuking painful
I use the "Banter Years" as a self deprecating attempt at gallows humor solely designed to ease the pain & anger associated with that period
Rangers are still here, they failed to kill us, I enjoy their pain!

It’s precisely the same. It’s absolutely ridiculous and needs binned. In years to come, books will show their titles, they will not have asterisks, as much as we all know they were compromised. Rangers fans using this term is an absolutely riddy. It’s a total embarrassment. People need to get a grip.
One is an abhorrent crime, and our experience was down to financial mismanagement. Very comparible indeed.

Very unlikely given how one of the members of admin uses it rather often on his content.

As has been said above.
You could open your mind.
Learn a few facts.

And take complete control.

A Yahoo says to you, the banter years.
You reply, yeah mad times.

Us getting 50,000 plus in the 3rd division and you lot struggling to get 20,000 into the peado dome for a first v 4th clash in the top league.
Enlighten me, what don't I know.

Or perhaps we should change it to the Whyte hijack, Green making tea with his big hands, Somers in the tent, Ally's bear arse, Hutton's darts trophy, Ian Black, £72m disappearing, petrofac defeat sing song, stock market announcement, Sports Direct invasion, wonga loan, asset sale, pitch geography, Pedro cartel, record humping..... years

:eek:

Pretty good summary.

The £72m theft is one that still amazes me that nobody went to jail

Some brutal stuff in that list, and I do get the "if you didn't laugh, you'd cry" side of this thread

I suppose it's ultimately down to each individual to decide how they cope with everything that was inflicted upon us.

I've not heard anyone use that term in ages, I've not got a problem with it at all. Very odd how some people on this forum love to start an argument with fellow Rangers fans over nothing. That's far more embarassing than people using a light hearted term to describe a dark period in our clubs history.

Get off your high horse.

It's not about people sitting laughing at the downfall of the club, it was some of the ludicrous moments that went with it like Moshni kicking the Motherwell boy up the arse.

It relates to the stories bears had travelling around all the tiny grounds in Scotland, McCoist's comedy act in the dugout and some of the bloody awful players we had on our books.

We made light of it to keep ourselves sane.

The stuff at board level was never considered all fun and games. The fans played a massive part in driving the spivs out in the end.

Stop being such a touchy tart.

Correct.

That’s up to you. What do you do in the boozer with your pals? Just get pure raging and shout at each other?
Let’s put it this way pal , we’re not laughing and giggling about being shafted left right and centre. If you feel like it , knock yourself out .:rolleyes:

I thought the phrase was started by Bears on Twitter and used to take the piss out of the chaos engulfing the club?

I’ve literally never seen or heard anyone but a Rangers fan use the term. Really don’t see the issue here.

Appointing Gerrard was the end of the banter years for me.

It’s gallows humour. Let’s face it there was some pretty unbelievable things that went on that you can’t help but laugh at.

No offence mate,if you think anything that happened to us was funny enough for you to laugh at,you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

No offence mate,if you think anything that happened to us was funny enough for you to laugh at,you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

Some of it was funny, if you didnt think so you must have a personality bypass.

- Brechin hedge
- Dallas Cowboys connection
- Green's Xmas poem
- Elgin overselling their stadium
- Losing v Alloa after being 2-0 up
- Peterhead and East Fife's scaffold terracing
- Moshni boxing v Motherwell

That's to name just a few, there are countless other occasions that could be added. Some of the stuff you simply had to laugh at but some of our support are far too precious and thin skinned to do so.

Some of it was funny, if you didnt think so you must have a personality bypass.

- Brechin hedge
- Dallas Cowboys connection
- Green's Xmas poem
- Elgin overselling their stadium
- Losing v Alloa after being 2-0 up
- Peterhead and East Fife's scaffold terracing
- Moshni boxing v Motherwell

That's to name just a few, there are countless other occasions that could be added. Some of the stuff you simply had to laugh at but some of our support are far too precious and thin skinned to do so.

Thank phuck someone else is on the same page. Nobody could laugh at getting shafted by the spivs for cash and players or playing 3rd division football.

Plenty moments that looking back can only be taken in a light hearted context.

I’m away to have along look at myself though because I had a giggle at the spivs being terrified at the agm so set up a gazebo in the middle of the park.

Trying to look at it as light-hearted as possible was the only way to get through it.

I’ll always try to forget some of those days struggling at Ibrox against utter shite.

What I would say though - the away games were fucking fantastic days out, Berwick was a favourite. Cumbria police (that checked the Tannochside bus I was on) were absolutely sound guys, knew we all had tons of bevvy and didn’t give a %^*&.

Back