“The banter years”

It's safe to say the lack of football is clearly getting to people now.

Thank f*ck we beat the tramps before the break, everyone connected to Rangers would have been blamed for something.

Poor guy who painted the car parking spaces at The HTC would have been getting it :D

:eek:

Pretty good summary.

The £72m theft is one that still amazes me that nobody went to jail

Some brutal stuff in that list, and I do get the "if you didn't laugh, you'd cry" side of this thread

I suppose it's ultimately down to each individual to decide how they cope with everything that was inflicted upon us.

That £72m just vanished. One minute we're cash rich and thought this would be a steady investment on the road back up.

Next thing we're getting wonga loans and punting Lewis MacLeod to fund loans for 5 Newcastle rejects.

Some of it was funny, if you didnt think so you must have a personality bypass.

- Brechin hedge
- Dallas Cowboys connection
- Green's Xmas poem
- Elgin overselling their stadium
- Losing v Alloa after being 2-0 up
- Peterhead and East Fife's scaffold terracing
- Moshni boxing v Motherwell

That's to name just a few, there are countless other occasions that could be added. Some of the stuff you simply had to laugh at but some of our support are far too precious and thin skinned to do so.
Yes, I pished myself laughing at this particular cracker. :rolleyes:

Can we please bloody stop using this phrase to describe what has happened to our club over the last few years please!!

This phrase is used by Rangers haters as a put down and a means of how it was all funny to them. It was used as a piss take.

Stop let’s stop using it eh??

Right, faither...:rolleyes:

Well for me it was the absolute horrific years and I will not forgive anything that was done to us. And I wont be having any banter about it either. I found phuck all funny about that whole time

Can we please bloody stop using this phrase to describe what has happened to our club over the last few years please!!

This phrase is used by Rangers haters as a put down and a means of how it was all funny to them. It was used as a piss take.

Stop let’s stop using it eh??

Anyone using this should be outed as. poet and burned at the steak

Don't engage the bastards about football.

I literally engage with poets on football on average less than twice a year over more than 10 years.
I suspect people greetin about the banters years getting thrown at them do so more.

Your answer is 100 times better than mine I have to admit.

But laughing at them is the best option.
Losing Semi finals to lower league teams.
Europe.
Ronnies roar.
Awful crowds.

All off the top of my head.
There must be more to laugh at them for during "The banter years".

Doesnt bother me tbh, would rather we owned the phrase rather than the dhims.

Speaking of "banter", do we approve of our stadium being called the 'The Brox"?

New-Rangers-Kit-13-14.jpg

It is used ironically and people who get raging over it just to seem like they were more upset than others the last few years just because they don’t use the phrase are infinitely more tragic

I see it as a collective term for the whole of Scottish football.

Celtic heroically won back to back titles? Bravely defending their place at the top against the mighty Motherwell and the unstoppable force that was Aberdeen? Did they aye?

Brown must count as one of their most ever successful captains ever. I'm sure the likes of Lennon and every other captain before him hold their hands up and admit that they couldn't ever have achieved what he has.

The game has been a farce since 2012. I seriously doubt they will but should they do 10 then it is a banter 10. Managed by banter Deila and their banter lego captain.

With what happened to us, sell out Saturdays, Dundee Utd, Hearts and Hibs relegated and the pantomime that is this Celtic run, I think the term banter years is quite apt.

At the time the phrase didn't really bother me too much.

Looking back it was a daft phrase.

If you want something really silly that happened try our supporters bus stopping at a smoke house (gish, meat etc) so folk could buy cigarettes!

As a point of reference to a time in our history it's as good a name as any. It doesn't bother me any more than the zombie and Sevco pish. In many ways I welcome them too - as soon as someone mentions them I know they are someone I no longer wish to talk to or be in the same room as.

That £72m just vanished. One minute we're cash rich and thought this would be a steady investment on the road back up.

Next thing we're getting wonga loans and punting Lewis MacLeod to fund loans for 5 Newcastle rejects.

It was like the third season of Fargo. Shadowy businessmen buying companies, assets being pilfered and every kind of credit line or opportunity maxed out with no regards for the consequences.

It’s fuucking awful. People thinking they are somehow gaining the upper hand in what happened to us are deluding themselves. It’s the equivalent of the bheasts saying ‘the Paedo years.’ It’s horrific and should be stopped.
It most absolutely is not

I’m opposite. They seem to use it all the time.

I don’t care what they think but they like to control the agenda. It’s now accepted and the norm.

Tell a lie enough and it becomes a truth. It’s Timmy’s way.

Stand up for yourself then or fucking ignore them rather than come on here and cry like a little girl

It most absolutely is not
Having taken a 3 day holiday, I am not about to argue it out. I have made my thoughts clear. If you disagree, we’ll agree to disagree.

It’s fuucking bad enough having no football but having no football and no FF is just about enough to drive a man to drink. (Not that it takes that!)

I’m opposite. They seem to use it all the time.

I don’t care what they think but they like to control the agenda. It’s now accepted and the norm.

Tell a lie enough and it becomes a truth. It’s Timmy’s way.

Ask them why there are 60,000 people in their stadium when they play this new team and only 35,000 or so (most weeks) when we were in the fourth tier. I've said before on here that I was working at Parkhead when we were in the fourth tier. Unless it was a European game, you could have picked about 4 or 5 seats in every row of their decrepit, shitey stadium when we weren't in the top flight. There are 20,000 of them who are only there to see Rangers. Even more now we've put them in the corner where they belong.

I get why it sticks in some of the older Bears craws, but as many have previously said in the thread it was purely a bit of dark humour mixed with self deprecation to see us through one of the darkest points in our club's history. Which if you stop and consider the circumstances you can see why so many of us chose to take it in such a way.

Here's the reality that some of the Older Bears, who maybe do not quite grasp about Social Media. The flaws you highlight about yourself can rarely be used to hurt you on social media. You own them. You can control the narrative that surrounds them. That is what Younger Bears who frequent social media sites have chosen to do, because if you disarm your critics and your enemies then you've already went into any debate or argument on the front foot. You can disagree with that but that is the reality of things. It's all well and good saying 'Oh I don't use Twitter' or 'I don't do Facebook or (Insert any popular social media platform)' but the reality is for younger and some older people too it's part of your daily life, it's how you express yourself and it's how most interact with the rest of the world or one another.

It's also worth keeping in mind, that for some of the younger Bears who support our club they've barely had any experience of a successful Rangers side. So to them the normality we attribute to supporting Rangers differs from their experience. I've spoken to some fans who were born in the latter half of the 90's and early 2000's and the Rangers they know is vastly different to the one I knew growing up. Us calling it the Banter Years is sort of us drawing the line under it. Like we are near the end of the nightmarish scenario and hopefully done with it for good now. I get that for some older Bears it doesn't sit right with them or they feel it's disrespectful to the club but it is what it is. It's all about perspective and maybe there is a schism that can never be reconciled because the two perspectives simply do not match up.

I find it hilarious the people who get upset about this.

This is coming from a bear who followed us through the absolute mental pain and torture of all of the banter years including the heart ache of taking the decision to not renew until the spivs were outed and protesting outside Ibrox including a very exuberant protest against Hearts at home when it got called off for the snow.

Thank God ‘The Banter Years’ is over.

It’s part of our history now but we survived. What people will remember is the incredible backing of the fans to get us back to where we are now. We have shown the Rangers family stick together through the bad times and good. No other club would have survived that and it will be even sweeter when we win 55.

I get why it sticks in some of the older Bears craws, but as many have previously said in the thread it was purely a bit of dark humour mixed with self deprecation to see us through one of the darkest points in our club's history. Which if you stop and consider the circumstances you can see why so many of us chose to take it in such a way.

Here's the reality that some of the Older Bears, who maybe do not quite grasp about Social Media. The flaws you highlight about yourself can rarely be used to hurt you on social media. You own them. You can control the narrative that surrounds them. That is what Younger Bears who frequent social media sites have chosen to do, because if you disarm your critics and your enemies then you've already went into any debate or argument on the front foot. You can disagree with that but that is the reality of things. It's all well and good saying 'Oh I don't use Twitter' or 'I don't do Facebook or (Insert any popular social media platform)' but the reality is for younger and some older people too it's part of your daily life, it's how you express yourself and it's how most interact with the rest of the world or one another.

It's also worth keeping in mind, that for some of the younger Bears who support our club they've barely had any experience of a successful Rangers side. So to them the normality we attribute to supporting Rangers differs from their experience. I've spoken to some fans who were born in the latter half of the 90's and early 2000's and the Rangers they know is vastly different to the one I knew growing up. Us calling it the Banter Years is sort of us drawing the line under it. Like we are near the end of the nightmarish scenario and hopefully done with it for good now. I get that for some older Bears it doesn't sit right with them or they feel it's disrespectful to the club but it is what it is. It's all about perspective and maybe there is a schism that can never be reconciled because the two perspectives simply do not match up.
Enough of the old young man. I agree with you. We survived. WATP.

Couldn’t agree with you more.

If you don't laugh you cry. Only family can laugh at family, if it is an outsider mocking they would get battered, we have made a valiant effort of taking away ammunition by laughing at ourselves. It doesn't take away the pain or lose any staunch points by referring to the period as the banter years

No-one is comparing Rangers fans to Paedo harborers. I am saying Rangers fans using the phrase of banter years is the equivalent of bheasts using that term about their club.

There is nothing banter about what happened to us and idiots using the ‘banter years,’ are a total embarrassment.

I’ve never really used it , I’ve heard it used and don’t mind it. If you can’t see that it’s ironic then that’s your problem .

Having read your post I’m now going to start using it every opportunity that I get though , thanks for highlighting it .

Name one that was funny. I cant for the life of me think of any.
Nothing funny for me either I would love to find out who was at the back of it all.I think most of us believe Celtic were involved in some way through somebody connected with that horrible club

I’ve never really used it , I’ve heard it used and don’t mind it. If you can’t see that it’s ironic then that’s your problem .

Having read your post I’m now going to start using it every opportunity that I get though , thanks for highlighting it .
I’m sorry, I don’t see the irony in being demoted for using a legal tax avoidance scheme, nor for losing a £30m squad for peanuts, losing our record of 100% participation in the top league, giving our rivals 7 unchallenged tainted titles, losing the chance to play in Europe, etc.etc. etc.

No, guilty as charged, I don’t see the irony.

In fact, the only thing ironic about the whole sorry episode is that we have returned to the top league, our fans fill out the stadiums of the scum who tried to kill us and they profit as a result.

I’m sorry, I don’t see the irony in being demoted for using a legal tax avoidance scheme, nor for losing a £30m squad for peanuts, losing our record of 100% participation in the top league, giving our rivals 7 unchallenged tainted titles, losing the chance to play in Europe, etc.etc. etc.

No, guilty as charged, I don’t see the irony.

In fact, the only thing ironic about the whole sorry episode is that we have returned to the top league, our fans fill out the stadiums of the scum who tried to kill us and they profit as a result.

Well that’s your problem that you can’t see it.

As I say I’ll now use banter years every chance I get , and I’ll get all my family and friends to do the same .

Back