“The Gap” - Thoughts on where we are early days

The gap has never been all that big. That’s not much to do with either of us and everything to do with playing in Scotland. There is a limit to the level of player who will come here. Even if Celtic genuinely had all the cash, they still would struggle to attract a player worth more than £4-6mill. Because players at that level just don’t come to Scotland. They paid £9mill for Edouard but there was the unusual feature there of him already being at the club and liking it, more fool him.

In Scotland, we have to develop players internally, take gambles on players with question marks in their history, even from the championship much less the EPL, or have excdlllent scouting to find players in cheaper markets before the big guns do.

Celtic are ahead of us in that their scouting network had not been utterly destroyed and in that their promise of European football might have atttracted some players who otherwise would not want to come to Scotland. If they go out on Tuesday, it’s not just the financials that will hurt them in the transfer market.

However, we have done a lot to catch up with that. The star power of Gerrard does not match the glamour of the Champion’s League but does shine a big spotlight on us and draws the attention of players who otherwise would have little interest. And both Mark Allen and Gerrard come with contact to networks of EPL level scouts. I would strongly suspect that Liverpool scouts, on finding a player not quite Liverpool standard, would probably have little qualms on giving Stevie G a wee text. Rodgers has that too to an extent but I believe that his reputation is not that of a man popular with the folk he worked with.

A few players from our past failed managers are up there at celtic’s level. Tav, Jack, Morelos and Candeias could stand toe to toe with their Celtic counterparts. But teams are only ever as good as their weakest links and we had too many of them, especially at the back. Gerrard has really seemed to have upped the level of our recruits and i’d now strongly suspect that our entire back 5 are stronger than Celtic’s. Though we do still lack some of their strength in depth. Our front 6 have it all to prove. Morelos and Candeias are equal to Celtic. The rest may or may not be. But the signs so far are hopeful. We’ll see after the first round of matches.

Even if they are not quite there (and, with my blue tinted glasses, I think that they are), we will continue to build. Every single transfer window will see us catching up more and more. They have peaked. They can’t do much more within Scotland. We will catch them by building each year. In the not too distant future, it’ll be fairly equal in the first 11s. And then it comes down to managerial ability. That’s where the worry about having a rookie comes in. But right now i’d rather have a rookie Gerrard than anyone else in charge.

%^*& knows where we are at the minute. Barely kicked a ball yet but last night was the best buzz I've had at Ibrox in a long, long time. My head says a close second, my heart says a domestically undefeated treble winning season. Wipe the sheen right aff the tranny shaggers teeth.

The gap has never been all that big. That’s not much to do with either of us and everything to do with playing in Scotland. There is a limit to the level of player who will come here. Even if Celtic genuinely had all the cash, they still would struggle to attract a player worth more than £4-6mill. Because players at that level just don’t come to Scotland. They paid £9mill for Edouard but there was the unusual feature there of him already being at the club and liking it, more fool him.

In Scotland, we have to develop players internally, take gambles on players with question marks in their history, even from the championship much less the EPL, or have excdlllent scouting to find players in cheaper markets before the big guns do.

Celtic are ahead of us in that their scouting network had not been utterly destroyed and in that their promise of European football might have atttracted some players who otherwise would not want to come to Scotland. If they go out on Tuesday, it’s not just the financials that will hurt them in the transfer market.

However, we have done a lot to catch up with that. The star power of Gerrard does not match the glamour of the Champion’s League but does shine a big spotlight on us and draws the attention of players who otherwise would have little interest. And both Mark Allen and Gerrard come with contact to networks of EPL level scouts. I would strongly suspect that Liverpool scouts, on finding a player not quite Liverpool standard, would probably have little qualms on giving Stevie G a wee text. Rodgers has that too to an extent but I believe that his reputation is not that of a man popular with the folk he worked with.

A few players from our past failed managers are up there at celtic’s level. Tav, Jack, Morelos and Candeias could stand toe to toe with their Celtic counterparts. But teams are only ever as good as their weakest links and we had too many of them, especially at the back. Gerrard has really seemed to have upped the level of our recruits and i’d now strongly suspect that our entire back 5 are stronger than Celtic’s. Though we do still lack some of their strength in depth. Our front 6 have it all to prove. Morelos and Candeias are equal to Celtic. The rest may or may not be. But the signs so far are hopeful. We’ll see after the first round of matches.

Even if they are not quite there (and, with my blue tinted glasses, I think that they are), we will continue to build. Every single transfer window will see us catching up more and more. They have peaked. They can’t do much more within Scotland. We will catch them by building each year. In the not too distant future, it’ll be fairly equal in the first 11s. And then it comes down to managerial ability. That’s where the worry about having a rookie comes in. But right now i’d rather have a rookie Gerrard than anyone else in charge.

You've covered my feelings with the above.
I think the next couple of games are huge for them. Hopefully Hearts can take something today but more importantly we need AEK to finish the job on Tuesday.
For them to lose out on £25m will be a huge blow.
I know it is very early but there's no doubt that Gerrard has changed the mindset with the players he has brought in.
If we can get another 2 or 3 quality players in before the window shuts (I think we will) then we will run them close.

Going back to the 2-3 game at Ibrox. Murty got it completely wrong after the sending off and Rodgers experience told.
Gerrard alluded to this shortly after he joined. He won't make that mistake!!

I love this! “The gap” the press all give Liewell a call to find out what “the gap” line is!

Football changes very quickly, look at Brenda in the press! Forget “the gap” nonsense, we need to concentrate on our game and winning them. Gerrard has us in the best place we’ve been in years and we’re getting better! The gap will take care of itself! But as long as the mhedia are telling us it’s there I’ll be happy, like the dhims they will be the last to know!

It’s always been this way for both teams,5 years behind,£50million behind,blah,blah,blah.
A good manager can close ‘the gap’ in a season,money helps obviously.

On Thursday night we saw the first real signs of a proper football team wearing blue shirts that we have for almost 7 years. Let’s enjoy that moment and see what the next few weeks bring before we get carried away. The gap will only close when we can take 7/12 points from them, and we aren’t there yet, because I for one don’t see any ref in Scotland pitching a Tim off the park in the first 15 minutes at Aberdeen, Hibs or Hearts to cost them points.

Bottom line is we've got no idea yet. They're streets ahead of us until we prove otherwise.

The piggery will give some indication but we won't know for sure until around November/December whether we're consistent enough to challenge.

I think there is little doubt we have added better players to our squad but ask me again in February/March after all our new players have experienced a bitterly cold game in Inverness or the like if we have narrowed the gap. The signs are promising though.

It’s difficult to say at the moment, the mhanks have a settled squad which has ran amok the last 2 seasons, up front they are still far too staring for us but we are definitely on the right tracks.

It's not just about us and them, we need other teams to take points off them on a regular basis. Today might tell us how likely that is.

Back