“To hell with Liverpool and Rangers too” - Everton song

Brick_Top

Official Ticketer
“To hell with Liverpool and Rangers too, throw them all in the Mersey”

Just seen a snippet of a video of this song on Social media. Might be late to the party here but it’s the first I’ve heard it.

After a google search to find out why they were referencing us in a song, it apparently originates from the 1963 battle of Britain tie between us and Everton in which there was supposedly a wee bit of bother in the away leg down at Goodison.

Doesn’t seem to be much information about the games. Any old bears have any memories?

Just seen a snippet of a video of this song on Social media. Might be late to the party here but it’s the first I’ve heard it.

After a google search to find out why they were referencing us in a song, it apparently originates from the 1963 battle of Britain tie between us and Everton in which there was supposedly a wee bit of bother in the away leg down at Goodison.

Doesn’t seem to be much information about the games. Any old bears have any memories?
Bit before my time but went to the “friendly” at Goodison in 1974
which was far from friendly with the Everton fans openly chanting in
support of the IRA. Rangers fans never took too kindly to this. Fair
bit of bother during and after the game.

@David Edgar wrote it I'm led to believe.

Some of the most staunch Loyalists you'll ever come across are Evertonians.

Plenty of the 'Liverpool Volunteers' fall into this category.

Loyalists and Republicans in the support of both sides.

Very true. Met a couple with their son walking around Anfield. Got to talking to them and it turned out they were committed loyalists and Everton fans.

Funnily enough, I am sure that Everton are the football club outside of Scotland that Rangers have played the most in our history.
It is either them or Newcastle.
One other thing about Everton is the number of players who have turned out for both clubs.
I personally have a lot of time for both clubs in Liverpool, they are both real traditional football clubs in the true sense of the game.

Was down in Liverpool in the 80's for the 12th and there was trouble in the Scotland Road area.
Later on the windows on our bus were smashed and a Liverpool Corporation bus was acquired to take us back up the road.

The former Labour mp, Eric Heffer supported Everton because (this was the 60's), in his words
Evertons Catholicism was nearer his High Anglican faith than the Orangeism of Liverpool.

I think they have Methodist roots? Although traditionally attracted a lot of the Irish catholic support but liverpool isnt Glasgow and never has been.
Discussed this with a couple of folk from liverpool who reckon the animosity was significant but their slum clearance rehousing mixed communities whereas ours created ‘ghettos’. That went a long way towards their more integrated society. As you say there are other differences.

I don'y think you can take anything from a football song like that.
We have a song that mentions Barcelona and Real Madrid.
We have had some great players who played for both clubs.

"We'll fight and fight with all our might for the boys in the royal Blue Jersey".

I like that line.

Most of the Scousers I’ve met have been Evertonians, and most of the Evertonians I have met have been Papists.
Similar experience to that of mine except I would say that Liverpool edge out Everton on say a ratio of 60:40 in terms of scousers I know.

But proportionately the Everton fans - again those I know - are more catholic. Also been to a catholic funeral service in Liverpool which again was pretty much of an Evertonian hue

Funnily enough, I am sure that Everton are the football club outside of Scotland that Rangers have played the most in our history.
It is either them or Newcastle.
One other thing about Everton is the number of players who have turned out for both clubs.
I personally have a lot of time for both clubs in Liverpool, they are both real traditional football clubs in the true sense of the game.

Thought that might have been Arsenal Bilko.

I heard a rumour years ago that there was an RC chapel inside Goodison Park, dont know if its true or not
I am pretty sure that the church if it is still there, is a Methodist one.
Everton and Liverpool both come from the same Protestant root.

Everton's green tinge came about when they had a lot of Irish players and they began to attract more and more Irish second and third-generation RC's to their games.
However, I am sure that the mix in religions was fairly evenly spread through both Liverpool clubs and if not before, that is certainly the case today.

Some of the most staunch Loyalists you'll ever come across are Evertonians.

Plenty of the 'Liverpool Volunteers' fall into this category.

Loyalists and Republicans in the support of both sides.
There is mate,I've friends who support both teams,good Loyalists.

Thought that might have been Arsenal Bilko.
Yes, we have a strong history with Arsenal, but I am sure that we have played more games against Newcastle and Everton than the London side.
Especially in the early days when it made financial sense to travel to Northern England rather than the capital.

I thought Liverpool were the mentally challengeds of Liverpool?. I’ve seen many conflicting reports of this on FF.
Traditionally it would be Everton.

In modern times and in football terms it’s definitely Liverpool. Perennial victims, ambulance chasing bastards and a pathological need to be loved and fawned over.

Similar experience to that of mine except I would say that Liverpool edge out Everton on say a ratio of 60:40 in terms of scousers I know.

But proportionately the Everton fans - again those I know - are more catholic. Also been to a catholic funeral service in Liverpool which again was pretty much of an Evertonian hue
Pretty much my experience although they live happily together.

Yes, we have a strong history with Arsenal, but I am sure that we have played more games against Newcastle and Everton than the London side.
Especially in the early days when it made financial sense to travel to Northern England rather than the capital.

Yes, that's true, probably played northern clubs often in the early years.

Bit before my time but went to the “friendly” at Goodison in 1974
which was far from friendly with the Everton fans openly chanting in
support of the IRA. Rangers fans never took too kindly to this. Fair
bit of bother during and after the game.
Think I was at that match, was it a mid week game? I would have gone down with the KP Loyal bus.

Just to clarify, the vast majority of Everton fans don't give a f**k about Rangers or Celtic, and the same goes for Liverpool fans. They simply don't care.
And I suspect most Rangers fans don’t give a f**k about either of Liverpool or Everton. The Tims, on the other hand, would be wanking themselves into a frenzy about who loves who the most.

I’ll say one thing for them, they’re a deluded bunch. Remind me of Aberdeen fans in that sense. Went to a game at Goodison and was like they were watching a different game to me, they were all happy clappy while I was thinking wtf is this shite I’m watching. (Maybe it comes from supporting us and always expecting the best while they’re used to mediocrity at best?)

I don't think religion plays any part in supporting either Liverpool or Everton. We have recently attracted increased interest from Reds because of Stevie G but that's about it.

(In Glasgow we very much still have a sectarian divide but I was talking recently to a mentally challenged friend's son - a pupil at St Ninian's - who said he knows at least half a dozen Rangers fans in his year. 'Unprecedented times' indeed.)

I think they have Methodist roots? Although traditionally attracted a lot of the Irish catholic support but liverpool isnt Glasgow and never has been.
Bill Shankly gave the eulogy at the funeral of Dixie Dean after his death of 1980. In it he said, “This is not about Liverpool or Everton, Black or White, Protestant or Catholic. It’s about mourning a great footballer.”

Clearly despite the Methodist roots, there is some real antagonism there along religious line.

I'm Scouse and a red. We were brought up prod and my dad was a blue but had no time for the Lodge which was huge in Liverpool in those days. Dwindling now but still by far the largest LOL membership in England incidentally.
My dad used to say the that the Everton stands were full of priests in the 60's but I can't confirm this.
I agree with what is being said here, the city of Liverpool is very mixed with no one religion supporting one team or the other.
I personally have renewed my interest in Rangers because of Gerrard I'll admit it. In the 80's pre Souness a group of us, all reds used to come up to Ibrox when Liverpool didn't have a game and we were always welcomed and had great times.

"There's Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur too
There's Everton , Burnley Blackpool just to name a famous few."
A couple of lines from Who's that team we call the Rangers naming other clubs. It means nothing.

I’ve always supported Everton as a lot of my family are Everton fans. Most of the comments on here from people are laughable. I’ve been to loads of games and their fans don’t have a bad word to say about us when you chat to them about football.
My dad has told me the exact same thing, I follow an Everton fan account on Twitter because he’s a good laugh but it comes round to old firm day and is bashing rangers, confused as to where the hatred comes from, he might just be a sheep following the crowd but I have heard there is a lot of loyalists from both sides so it’s a weird one :rolleyes:.

Bill Shankly gave the eulogy at the funeral of Dixie Dean after his death of 1980. In it he said, “This is not about Liverpool or Everton, Black or White, Protestant or Catholic. It’s about mourning a great footballer.”

Clearly despite the Methodist roots, there is some real antagonism there along religious line.
There was, in the past.
It no longer exists.

My dad has told me the exact same thing, I follow an Everton fan account on Twitter because he’s a good laugh but it comes round to old firm day and is bashing Rangers, confused as to where the hatred comes from, he might just be a sheep following the crowd but I have heard there is a lot of loyalists from both sides so it’s a weird one :rolleyes:.
We took Gary Stevens and Trevor Steven from them

Back