“You don’t win anything without warriors in the team” SG quote from yesterday

gartsherrie

When the manager was being interviewed yesterday he mentioned the requirement for “ warriors” in the team.
Very true IMO - however I can only see 2 current players in McGregor and Morelos that meet that standard at the present time. We need another 3.

I’d put Goldson, Kent and Jack down as warriors alongside Morelos and McGregor.

Tav, Barisic, Kamara, Hagi and Aribo are more flashy.

I’d also like to add from what I’ve seen from Balogun yesterday, he doesn’t have to be a warrior. He strolled through that game without having to “battle”.

Warriors for me are Jack, McGregor, Helander, Katic, Barisic, Morelos. Thats 4 or 5 in the starting 11. He is bang on getting in another warrior in the engine room and another one up top

I’d also like to add from what I’ve seen from Balogun yesterday, he doesn’t have to be a warrior. He strolled through that game without having to “battle”.
Barasic and Tavernier aren't appreciated anywhere near where they should be if this post is anything to go by. Tavernier particularly has a lot more than he is given credit for.

Arf

Scotty Arfield surely.

Some of them can also be warriors in the way that they are ultra-competitive and hate to get beat. When the team's head goes down, they're not and suffer from self-esteem issues. But I feel if we can get off to a good start, the likes of Hagi, Tav and Barisic will actually be the types to drag us over the line so long as their confidence levels can stay high.

I remember standing in the piggery getting skelped 5-0 and we looked like wee boys against men.

Nowadays we can hold our own in that regard against anyone, especially against them.

The challenge is the players treating every game, like their careers depend on it. I genuinely believe we are only 2-3 signings away from 55 being a reality if we get recruitment right.

McCrorie's problem with us has been every good performance has been followed up with a poor game.

He needs to find consistency to be trusted.
Ross would have to be far better on the ball for Gerrard to consider him. Nearly every player we have in the first 11 is good on the ball.

Aribo held off three of the sheep in the corner on his own late in the game, he's definitely adding the warrior qualities into his game.

as above, where did they go to after the winter break?

Aribo held off three of the sheep in the corner on his own late in the game, he's definitely adding the warrior qualities into his game.

I think the warrior qualities were there last season as well mate. I remember SG saying Aribo wanted to play on when he had a gaping wound across his forehead. Against Livingston I think.

Some of our warriors weren’t necessarily our most skilful players, yet their contribution was outstanding. Thinking of guys like, Shearer, Forsyth and John Brown etc.

Did you say Tav was flashy lol

When the manager was being interviewed yesterday he mentioned the requirement for “ warriors” in the team.
Very true IMO - however I can only see 2 current players in McGregor and Morelos that meet that standard at the present time. We need another 3.

When he said that he was talking about Balogun.

Two great performances - its the others that have let him down. Needs to be a 'footballer' as well as a forceful player to play in this Rangers team.
I’m of the opinion Gerrard
is failing him as a coach as he is us
by failure to win a trophy in 2 seasons
in spite of all the players he has signed.

Has he not said this before.....there's a thread throwing names around.....then a few weeks later the same names are labelled as shitebags?

Kent?
You just, surely?

Still, too many weak midfield players more people with the ability and strength of Aribo in the engine room would do me.
Kamara and Jack did not impress me yesterday.

For me there’s a difference between a warrior and putting in effort for the manager. One takes fight, the other doesn’t. The fact is there is no one in the current group of players who is a warrior, or a natural leader. We’ve seen it repeatedly over the past two seasons, that when the going gets tough our players wilt under pressure. How many times have we seen teams bully us in midfield and change the course of a game?

This isn’t meant to be criticism of anything the team has done this season so far, but a cold assessment of where things have gone wrong previously. I still insist we need a midfielder who can dictate a game and will stand up when the going gets tough and inspire those around him. I don’t think our players totally lack heart, but they need someone to lead them, someone who doesn’t know when to quit and wants to win at all costs.

For me there’s a difference between a warrior and putting in effort for the manager. One takes fight, the other doesn’t. The fact is there is no one in the current group of players who is a warrior, or a natural leader. We’ve seen it repeatedly over the past two seasons, that when the going gets tough our players wilt under pressure. How many times have we seen teams bully us in midfield and change the course of a game?

This isn’t meant to be criticism of anything the team has done this season so far, but a cold assessment of where things have gone wrong previously. I still insist we need a midfielder who can dictate a game and will stand up when the going gets tough and inspire those around him. I don’t think our players totally lack heart, but they need someone to lead them, someone who doesn’t know when to quit and wants to win at all costs.

Warriors take on the challenge and fight to the end - they always believe that they will be superior. We don’t have enough of those type of players.

I don’t know about warriors but I’d give anything to have a gallus wee bastard like Barry Ferguson or Ally McCoist in the side. Skill, courage, belief and steely determination is what we need from our team. Unfortunately, a Ferguson or McCoist would cost more than we can afford in the current market.

Still, too many weak midfield players more people with the ability and strength of Aribo in the engine room would do me.
Kamara and Jack did not impress me yesterday.
I agree I'd put Arfield in before Jack as I think he's more of a threat,for me Jack doesn't grab games by the scruff,in fact very few do. Far to many safe passes.

We are missing a big warrior from the middle of the park and a few more throughout the squad.
This to win the title above simple.i hope im wrong but dont think theres enough warriors please prove me wrong lads.

I don’t know about warriors but I’d give anything to have a gallus wee bastard like Barry Ferguson or Ally McCoist in the side. Skill, courage, belief and steely determination is what we need from our team. Unfortunately, a Ferguson or McCoist would cost more than we can afford in the current market.
McCoist was a warrior - he had the fighting spirit.

Some of them can also be warriors in the way that they are ultra-competitive and hate to get beat. When the team's head goes down, they're not and suffer from self-esteem issues. But I feel if we can get off to a good start, the likes of Hagi, Tav and Barisic will actually be the types to drag us over the line so long as their confidence levels can stay high.
Any game, regardless of how shite they’ve been personally, you’ll constantly see Tav and Barisic and Kamara actually showing for the ball. They don’t hide. People either can’t or don’t want to see it with Tav. I sit and watch him throughout the game and he’s up and down that right side and never once hides, the 2 wing backs are the driving force in our team

It's less warriors we need than self motivators. Kevin Thomson talks well of how when fit and picked he didn't care who we were playing. He prepared same, tackled same, gave 100% regardless. That's what we need.

I agree I'd put Arfield in before Jack as I think he's more of a threat,for me Jack doesn't grab games by the scruff,in fact very few do. Far to many safe passes.

Agree, Arfield always wants to get the ball forward Jack and Kamara both slow the game down too much for me.

Aye batters his head of the post and keeps playing as if nothing happened

.....and yet SG sees Tav as Captain material. Warrior and Tav does not spring to mind as a match!

Yep, drop our player of the year for a guy who looks tired from the first minute, can't shoot, can't tackle, doesn't create much at all. It's OK though, he always tries his best.
There is a place for Arfield, but it's off the bench when we need someone to run about like a headless chicken and make it difficult for opposition to play out from the back.
I absolutely hate those safe passes in our own half from Ryan Jack, a defensive midfielder. I hated it when McCall and Ian Ferguson did it too. I don't know why he doesn't try risky passes every time he gets the ball at the edge of our own box.

McCrorie's problem with us has been every good performance has been followed up with a poor game.

He needs to find consistency to be trusted.
Unlike £7m Kent who delivers every 4th game but walks into the team or Goldson who has cost lots of goals?

Back