”A Monster of a midfielder”

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEgg

I hear folk saying they would like a monster of a midfielder signed, so this might please a few .......

News paper report from Feb 18

Gerrard says Liverpool need a strong holding midfielder to help protect the back four and allow the attacking talent to do their job.

And he believes someone with Wanyama’s qualities is just what they need.

“I think Liverpool would benefit from a monster of a centre-midfielder, a holder,” Gerrard said on BT Sport.

“A Wanyama-type player who does sit in and is disciplined, and he would give more protection to the back four.”

Seems the Gaffer likes this kind of player, which is something we dont currently have.

Hopefully we get a “monster of a midfielder” signed up soon

I would say we’re covered for defensive holding midfielders would really like us to spend a decent amount of our remaining budget on a play making midfielder that beat a man , can pick out the killer pass and create chances for the strikers while getting a good few goals himself , not that I want much lol

I would say we’re covered for defensive holding midfielders would really like us to spend a decent amount of our remaining budget on a play making midfielder that beat a man , can pick out the killer pass and create chances for the strikers while getting a good few goals himself , not that I want much lol

This is Docherty's role.

McCrorie isn't built like a monster but anytime I have seen in in holding midfield he been one of if not thee best midfielder on the day. Don't think it's necessarily a monster we need just one with a bit more presence and mcgrorie has that imo.

Do we really need another midfielder?

We are going to have a lot of unhappy players at this rate

Three of them aren't good enough (Holt, Halliday and Dorrans).

One is just back from a bad injury and you will get inconsistent performances from him - Jack.

Rossiter has barely kicked a ball in two years.

McCrorie, Ejaria and Docherty are younger lads who are still quite raw.

I'd say we need a bit of quality in the middle of the park. I'm not caring if the likes of Holt or Halliday won't be happy, they simply are not good enough.

Docherty and Rossiter (if he stays fit) will be more than sufficient, in fact I’d go as far as saying this season will be the making of both

Ejaria isn’t defensive minded . I like Ryan jack he could play it , and Mcrorie could but is still learning . As someone alluded to big Molembo from killie is available and could easily slit into that role for us while Mcrorie develops and assist jack .

The best in the world at that role is Kante and he is 5ft 5.
Deschamps, Dunga, Makelele etc. are the most famous throughout the years too and none of them could come close to be mentioned as a monster.
Ability and reading the game is far more important than physical size for the position, but i genuinely feel McCrorie could excel there if he keeps developing.

Look at the modfields we have had finish out seasons over the last couple of years!

We have strengthened at the back - now it’s time for the midfield.

It depends if he wants us to play like Liverpool I suppose. If we go back 3 then he could have 2 centre mids who are spoiler types and one amc who creates for 2 strikers. Tav and John on the wings. That formation for me would be exciting as we would be really strong through the middle.

No it isn't. He's more box to box. Rossiter, Jack or Mcrorie are ideal for it

Not for me. But I think you might be getting muxed ip here as your nominees are DMs(perhaps Rossiter less so), I responded to the playmaker post
The playmaker we need has to be athletic and get about the middle of the pitch - and that includes around the box.

I’d start McCrorie and Rossiter as the two sitting midfielders. Arfield behind the striker with two wingers on either side, similar to the way the mentally challengeds play.

I'm fascinated to see how the likes of McCrorie, Rossiter Jack and Docherty evolve as players under Gerrard.

Docherty could be a 'monster' of a midfielder if we harness his talents right.

There was nothing wrong with Docherty last season other than lacking composure, a bit of calmness and playing in an organised side. He was dropped when others were worse.

His power, ability to win back the ball in a number of areas about the park, drive... was good enough. Some of his first touch and forward balls were excellent as were some of his assists.

No defence behind him and a non existent midfield, he was doing the work of too many at times.

He's got the tools, just needs to calm down, find a bit of composure and lift his head. The ball was like a hot potato at times.

No better man to work under than Steven Gerrard. The ultimate midfielder!

I think we need a creative midfielder rather than a monster of a midfielder. Someone to thread the ball through to the forward and Arfield.

Our team lacked a physical presence last season which is essential in our league we now have two 6ft plus defenders we need a couple more preferably a centre mid and a centre forward.

There was nothing wrong with Docherty last season other than lacking composure, a bit of calmness and playing in an organised side. He was dropped when others were worse.

His power, ability to win back the ball in a number of areas about the park, drive... was good enough. Some of his first touch and forward balls were excellent as were some of his assists.

No defence behind him and a non existent midfield, he was doing the work of too many at times.

He's got the tools, just needs to calm down, find a bit of composure and lift his head. The ball was like a hot potato at times.

No better man to work under than Steven Gerrard. The ultimate midfielder!
I’m hoping that now he has had some time at the club, he is settling into the role of being a Rangers player, and can kick on under the new boss.

Jack, Rossiter, McCrorie.

Take your pick.

DM doesn’t need strengthened.

Are you aware of home many goals we conceded coming through our midfield last season with the current squad a quality dm missing was part if the problem the scum walked all over our midfield last season if true I'm glad this is being addressed

I don’t like to get ahead of myself in terms of praise of players particularly young ones, however all joking aside McCrorie should be exactly this type of player for us.

Excited to see how much he can develop working with someone like Gerrard.
For me Ross McCrorie should be given the chance to cement himself in the holding Mid-field role.. The lad has been absolutely solid when he's played there and gave us the much needed steel in the middle of the park before his injury ruled him out for huge chunk of the season.. (which cost us big time btw) I couldn't wait for him to get back playing.. disciplined, solid in the tackle, great in the air, reads the game and can play a pass too!! This lad must be given the chance and I'm sure Gerrard will spot this working closely over pre season... He could save us millions and be the one to get right in about that C##t Brown as well!!!!

I’m hoping that now he has had some time at the club, he is settling into the role of being a Rangers player, and can kick on under the new boss.

Ian Ferguson said it took him a good six months to get used to the idea of playing for us and settling into the club.

Not for me. But I think you might be getting muxed ip here as your nominees are DMs(perhaps Rossiter less so), I responded to the playmaker post
The playmaker we need has to be athletic and get about the middle of the pitch - and that includes around the box.
the OP is a interview with gerrard talking about a holding midfielder who battles and gives the back 4 protection. That's what I assumed you were talking about.

The manager says so and it appears like we don’t have the type of player, let alone the quality of player, he’s looking for.
He mentions Wanyama and Lucas, do you reckon we have that style of player on our books?
Not potentially so, but now, today?

I don’t like to get ahead of myself in terms of praise of players particularly young ones, however all joking aside McCrorie should be exactly this type of player for us.

Excited to see how much he can develop working with someone like Gerrard.
Potentially better than Eric Dier I’d say

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back