€13m Lazio bid for Ianis Hagi according to Sport.ro

Theres a few on here that under value Hagi’s contribution to this team as he has a tendency to drift out games.

Hagi’s numbers are part of what we’ve been missing for years. Going back to guys like Candeias who just ran for 90 mins with no real end product but because he looked busy seemed to be a real hit with the fans whereas as Hagi drifts in and out games people seem to down play his worth to this side
Great post. There are fine margins that dictate how your season goes. Hagi came and changed the game versus Motherwell. Instead of losing to St Mirren and following that up with another defeat in the league, we brought on 3 international class players and win 3-1. Also, against Killie where we were huffing and puffing and he had a moment of magic that made it a 1-0. He’s a game changer and the reason why teams will pay good money for him.

Mate, you’re embarrassing yourself now :D
Assists don’t matter? Playing most games doesn’t make you a regular? YOU WONDER WHY STEWART DOESN'T GET MORE GAME TIME!?
I have strong suspicions that you are at it.
Embarrass myself chuckling at some dafty trying to demand I accept Hagi is a better player than he is. Kent had a goal and one assist last season I read somewhere or some stat oof that nature, does that make Hagi better?

You ought to be the big galoot John Kennedy's PR man laddie. Of course assists matter ...on the pitch...counting them nah...Goals yes. Now you are at the shouting and bawling and you have the brass neck to pitch "strong suspicions", look, no more squabbling with someone who is silly enough to suggest stats change games, naw, action changes games...now away ye go and howl and bark at the moon..."at it"...chuckle. What a joy sat next to you at Ibrox ranting, frothing and raving away there.This is how you talk to fellow supporters no need to surmise how you talk to rivals.

Embarrass myself chuckling at some dafty trying to demand I accept Hagi is a better player than he is. Kent had a goal and one assist last season I read somewhere or some stat oof that nature, does that make Hagi better?

You ought to be the big galoot John Kennedy's PR man laddie. Of course assists matter ...on the pitch...counting them nah...Goals yes. Now you are at the shouting and bawling and you have the brass neck to pitch "strong suspicions", look, no more squabbling with someone who is silly enough to suggest stats change games, naw, action changes games...now away ye go and howl and bark at the moon..."at it"...chuckle. What a joy sat next to you at Ibrox ranting, frothing and raving away there.This is how you talk to fellow supporters no need to surmise how you talk to rivals.
No problem laddie.

You should have stopped typing after that.

Iannis Hagi is possibly the most game intelligent footballer I have seen at Ibrox since Ronald de Boer.
He will see movement into space that no other players see and he will anticipate movement into space that sometimes his colleagues fail to exploit.

His initial failings were physical, in that he wasn't particularly strong and his work rate was somewhat lacking.
Fortunately, the lad has a fine sense of himself and the requirements of his profession and under the Rangers coaching staff both of these issues have been addressed and the improvement has been remarkable if not yet complete.

Further, young Hagi can score a goal, he has great instincts around the last and most vital attacking areas of the pitch, whether it be the final ball or the finishing shot.
His game sense in this area really begins to shine and he is one of the reasons that Rangers have scored far more goals this season than in previous campaigns.

This doesn't mean that he himself is the finished article.
But it should be remembered that he operates in the most telling areas of the pitch, and that in the pockets of space he chooses to play in, are the places where defenders are at their most unforgiving.
Yet young Hagi will take hit after hit after hit.

There is still more to come from this lad and my own personal criticism of him is that I often think he can do better with his first touch.
However, since he first walked into Ibrox all I can see is a young professional whose learning curve stretches ever upwards.

Anyone who doesn't rate him hasn't been watching closely enough. IMHO.

Highly relevant and not buttons.

Answer me this. Do clubs or do clubs not pay more for players from certain leagues/countries and less for players competing in perceived lower standard leagues?

Its not the only factor. But its absurd to suggest teams are gonna start suddenly buying numerous players from Scotland for 20, 30 or 40million just because we throw those numbers around on FF.

What has the club record fee, which we got for selling a right back in 2008, got to do with the value of a creative attacking player in 2021?

Of course clubs pay more for players who compete regularly at a higher level but recent high-potential departures from Scotland (Dembele and Tierney) have gone for well in excess of £13m. Hagi has great potential, strong numbers in his first full season for us, international caps, European experience, and is being courted by a top-5 team in a top-5 league. There's no way we should be settling for £13m

Iannis Hagi is possibly the most game intelligent footballer I have seen at Ibrox since Ronald de Boer.
He will see movement into space that no other players see and he will anticipate movement into space that sometimes his colleagues fail to exploit.

His initial failings were physical, in that he wasn't particularly strong and his work rate was somewhat lacking.
Fortunately, the lad has a fine sense of himself and the requirements of his profession and under the Rangers coaching staff both of these issues have been addressed and the improvement has been remarkable if not yet complete.

Further, young Hagi can score a goal, he has great instincts around the last and most vital attacking areas of the pitch, whether it be the final ball or the finishing shot.
His game sense in this area really begins to shine and he is one of the reasons that Rangers have scored far more goals this season than in previous campaigns.

This doesn't mean that he himself is the finished article.
But it should be remembered that he operates in the most telling areas of the pitch, and that in the pockets of space he chooses to play in, are the places where defenders are at their most unforgiving.
Yet young Hagi will take hit after hit after hit.

There is still more to come from this lad and my own personal criticism of him is that I often think he can do better with his first touch.
However, since he first walked into Ibrox all I can see is a young professional whose learning curve stretches ever upwards.

Anyone who doesn't rate him hasn't been watching closely enough. IMHO.
A well thought out articulate and intelligent post.

Bravo.

What has the club record fee, which we got for selling a right back in 2008, got to do with the value of a creative attacking player in 2021?

Of course clubs pay more for players who compete regularly at a higher level but recent high-potential departures from Scotland (Dembele and Tierney) have gone for well in excess of £13m. Hagi has great potential, strong numbers in his first full season for us, international caps, European experience, and is being courted by a top-5 team in a top-5 league. There's no way we should be settling for £13m
My argument has always been against the idea that €13mil is buttons. That is a ridiculous statement, no matter what tangents we go off on.

So the club record fee was made in relation to the “buttons” comment.

For a club that made a loss of 15.9mil in the last accounts you cannot call 11.25mil buttons.
For a club for whom 11.25 mil would represent between a quarter and a fifth of revenue. You cannot call 11.25mil buttons.
For a club whose record transfer fee is 9mil, you cannot call 11.25mil buttons.

Should we try and maximise sales of players. Of course.

The reality is, for every Scottish club, an 8 figure fee is a huge sum and we should consider all such bids on their individual merits. We may not accept them all and seem that some don’t meet our valuation of a player.

11250000 is not buttons and it is frankly ridiculous to suggest so.

Last edited:
Five clubs and 16 caps for Romania, big deal. Nevertheless none of the previous clubs felt he was worth hanging onto, journeyman sums him up perfectly as occasionally able to play a part as a capable squad player, forget the notion he is ever going to dominate a game. You have it wrong way around, Arfield and excellent player now deputises for Aribo who is now an established regular when fit and getting better all the time, ridiculous to even mention Jack and Aribo as competing for position, completely different roles in the team, there is NO comparison, Hagi isn't even close to Aribo now, nor in potential. Appearances mean bugger all in this context, Aribo has been injured. You are just talking nonsense and sounding like the galoot John Kennedy.Nobody absolutely nobody who knows football could ever dream of saying Hagi a better player than Aribo.

If and it's a very questionable IF any club, Lazio or whomever offered 13M ( very much doubt it) almost twice what Kent apparently cost for Hagi, right now Rangers would take it.

An excellent return on the investment of a player who has been on the bench more than playing, if he were as capable and consistant as say Kamara and a quite a few others he'd be a regular, never going to happen but there are those who get misty eyed with the name Hagi and it's gimmickry and then some who are realistic and can see with their own eyes that's he's a Hagi of old in name only, he's in exactly the same position he was in with his last club which is why they let him go albeit he's playing, now and again for a far more famous club. Already said, non-plussed if he goes or stays, an OK squad player for sure...but turn down 13M in these grim economic time(s) and needing to issue another shares flotation......give me a break "mate".
22 year old journeyman. Away and have a lie down! It's clearer with each post that you just can't take to the boy and nothing he could ever do will change your mind.

Wouldn't surprise me if you were one of the rockets that wanted Alfie punted for £5m. Wouldn't surprise me if you still did :shh:

Last edited:
He has been pivotal this season in us being able to break the low block. We have been needing a player like him for years.

No way I'd be selling him for that money.
I agree he has been pivotal at times, I like Hagi a lot and cant wish him enough to do well but sometimes I think watching him he is at his peak and frustrates me he never gets better when i feel he can, yes i would hate to see him go but i think he is very replaceable. Be happy to take that price if offered.

If everyone was fit, he'd be fighting with Roofe, Aribo, Wright and Arfield for the 3rd forward position .
Roofe is the only one that should be considered competition for Hagi in that position.

Wright looks like he'll be up there too but Aribo and Arfield are both poor there.

Wouldn't have linked this if it was just a HITC claim but they've cited a Romanian source.

Thoughts? I personally wouldn't start a conversation for less than £15m
Would be gutted to lose him but if we need to lose him to anyone, Lazio are a great club.

Just reminding people it's not a done deal. It was the recklessness of making cl money, that got us into the last mess we were in.
No, throwing the first price clubs asked for at them.
And accepting the first lowball offer for our players.

That's what got us into this mess.
And people want to repeat those mistakes.

I'm sure the board will look at it differently.

That's not the way I remember it. We were spending big money, thinking it would be recouped by a long run in the cl. It was an absolutely reckless way to do things and led us down a path that we couldnt deal with.

Let's remember the 12 million for flo, absolutely insane for a chelsea reserve. We were always going to lose out on that deal.

The good run we had in the cl, gave the club the wrong ideas. When we spent big, to maintain this, it wasnt helped by being knocked out in the qualifiers.

That's not the way I remember it. We were spending big money, thinking it would be recouped by a long run in the cl. It was an absolutely reckless way to do things and led us down a path that we couldnt deal with.

Let's remember the 12 million for flo, absolutely insane for a chelsea reserve. We were always going to lose out on that deal.

The good run we had in the cl, gave the club the wrong ideas. When we spent big, to maintain this, it wasnt helped by being knocked out in the qualifiers.
You've said it's not how you remember it, then you've confirmed what I said.
Strange.

You've said it's not how you remember it, then you've confirmed what I said.
Strange.
I confirmed that we were throwing money about to get a run in the cl, when this backfired we were left with players we couldnt shift, on big wages and I use the example of flo as we were never going to recoup that money, never mind make a profit on it.

The gamble was thinking we would get money from the cl, when that didnt work we were left in the shit. That's why I'm making the point of reminding people we haven't even qualified for the cl, some on here are talking as if we have.

I confirmed that we were throwing money about to get a run in the cl, when this backfired we were left with players we couldnt shift, on big wages and I use the example of flo as we were never going to recoup that money, never mind make a profit on it.

The gamble was thinking we would get money from the cl, when that didnt work we were left in the shit. That's why I'm making the point of reminding people we haven't even qualified for the cl, some on here are talking as if we have.

As you can see.
Throwing money about I said.
You mentioned Flo, I don't remember a long drawn out negotiation with Chelsea.

They said "We want 12 million for our sub"
"Done" said Murray.
Less than 2 years later, Sunderland said "We'll give you half what you paid".

Again, it wasn't drawn out, we bit their hand off.
No negotiation at the front or back end.

That, was our problem.

And jumping to move on Hagi, Morelos, Kent or Barisic. Helander, Kamara or Aribo for a fraction of a Dembele, Eduard or Biscuit hipped gimp, at the first hint of a bid, would again lead us down a dangerous road.

As would turning our back on CL money by handing Celtic a big boost in the title race, while we, single handed earned the country an automatic spot next season.

No one is suggesting spending 12 million on a player.
No one is suggesting turning down 20 million for a 30 year old.

We are talking about holding on to good, young talent who continue to improve and develop, or squeezing every last million out of anyone who will take them off us.

Last edited:
Surely that commercial value is to himself?
Maybe worded it wrong what I meant is if Pepsi see the value in him in their ads then clubs like Lazio may also see an opportunity to put the name on shirts, merchandise etc. The more popular he is then his club is also.

As you can see.
Throwing money about I said.
You mentioned Flo, I don't remember a long drawn out negotiation with Chelsea.

They said "We want 12 million for our sub"
"Done" said Murray.
Less than 2 years later, Sunderland said "We'll give you half what you paid".

Again, it wasn't drawn out, we bit their hand off.
No negotiation at the front or back end.

That, was our problem.

And jumping to move on Hagi, Morelos, Kent or Barisic. Helander, Kamara or Aribo for a fraction of a Dembele, Eduard or Biscuit hipped gimp, at the first hint of a bid, would again lead us down a dangerous road.

As would turning our back on CL money by handing Celtic a big boost in the title race, while we, single handed earned the country an automatic spot next season.

No one is suggesting spending 12 million on a player.
No one is suggesting turning down 20 million for a 30 year old.

We are talking about holding on to good, young talent who continue to improve and develop, or squeezing every last million out of anyone who will take them off us.
I dont disagree with you about getting decent money, and with young players with a future in the game, hopefully we get as much as we can.

I was merely pointing out that some have posted that their value will go up with a decent showing in the cl, I'm just reminding many that us being in it, is not a given.

You know that as well as me. The one thing I didn't like about the qualifiers was that it would start the season on a downer if we didnt make it.

I dont disagree with you about getting decent money, and with young players with a future in the game, hopefully we get as much as we can.

I was merely pointing out that some have posted that their value will go up with a decent showing in the cl, I'm just reminding many that us being in it, is not a given.

You know that as well as me. The one thing I didn't like about the qualifiers was that it would start the season on a downer if we didnt make it.
We have the luxury of being able to sell after the qualifiers, but again, only for the right price.

22 year old journeyman. Away and have a lie down! It's clearer with each post that you just can't take to the boy and nothing he could ever do will change your mind.

Wouldn't surprise me if you were one of the rockets that wanted Alfie punted for £5m. Wouldn't surprise me if you still did

Wouldn't surprise me if you were one of the rockets that wanted Alfie punted for £5m. Wouldn't surprise me if you still did :shh:
Aye, often find that loudmouth, nearly intelligent, nonentities are quite often easily surprised eh....you garrulous, laughable galoot.... "rockets" eh,.. smirk.

I like Hagi and think he is a great player but if I had to choose one player who could go for a big fee and be replaced it would be him. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't sell at that small price.

At £15-20 million I'd sell him. Reasons being
•he isn't always first choice
•we have multiple players who can play his position well (Roofe, Aribo, Wright)
•while his quality isn't in doubt, he is inconsistent
•he is on a massive wage (20k+)
•his sale could allow us to keep more influential and integral players

I like Hagi and think he is a great player but if I had to choose one player who could go for a big fee and be replaced it would be him. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't sell at that small price.

At £15-20 million I'd sell him. Reasons being
•he isn't always first choice
•we have multiple players who can play his position well (Roofe, Aribo, Wright)
•while his quality isn't in doubt, he is inconsistent
•he is on a massive wage (20k+)
•his sale could allow us to keep more influential and integral players
Not sure roofe, aribo, wright want to play in that role, but if we could get hagi a more box to box work rate with his touch we could be on to a winner.

Back