1 Game from being the greatest in our history?

Dado's Bandage

Is this team 1 game away from becoming our greatest ever? In terms of ability I think we’ve had better but in terms of significance in our club’s history, I think they surpass everything if they win on Wednesday.

They made progress in Europe which helped fund the rebuilding of the club, they won our 55th title ending years of pain and now they are not only on the brink of winning a major European trophy, but also earning the club an amount of money that should stabilise us for years to come. The greatest sporting story ever told.

Is this team 1 game away from becoming our greatest ever? In terms of ability I think we’ve had better but in terms of significance in our club’s history, I think they surpass everything if they win on Wednesday.

They made progress in Europe which helped fund the rebuilding of the club, they won our 55th title ending years of pain and now they are not only on the brink of winning a major European trophy, but also earning the club an amount of money that should stabilise us for years to come. The greatest sporting story ever told.
Agree, without doubt biggest achievement of my lifetime if we can do it, and I’d argue in our history due to the footballing landscape now.

In my mind they’re already very high up the list due to last years unbeaten league win with everything else that was happening. Most significant title win in our history imo.

Win this and they’ll be setting a very high bar for the teams that follow.

I guess in some ways it depends if you consider the cup winners cup team to be the same side that won at Easter road and then added 2 trebles under Wallace but for me that was 2 different sides one after the other.

There is no doubt this squad will go down in the history books forever if we get the result on Wednesday.

If we win it and its still a big task then yes imo it's the greatest in our history,we will be achieving almost the impossible especially with the gulf in finances these days.

No pressure then!

Anything that makes me think we’ll do this gives me the fear! Completely irrational.

Dreading the come down if it doesn’t work out. Enjoying the build up though.

I don’t think I’d say the greatest Rangers team I’ve ever seen, BUT win on Wednesday & they may be the most important in our history, in terms of turning us from a club with significant cash constraints into a club that is financially secure, and who can now move forward very positively in the years ahead.

If this team win the Europa League on Wednesday its the greatest footballing achievement in Scottish football history never mind just ours.

The way this competition is now set up to ensure the big 5 are always in the finals, the money spent to build some of the teams and how even the biggest teams in Europe want this trophy nowadays due to the UCL entry, super cup and money it generates means there hasn't been a European trophy won by a Scottish team that even comes close to our achievement if we win it.

Without trying to get too far ahead of myself… but should we win on Wednesday that would make this team a winning European trophy team.

Only the team of 1972 can claim that.

Now, without trying to dampen what the 1972 team achieved, I would hazard a guess that the financial side of things would suggest winning a European trophy in 2022 is much harder than in 1972.

For me, this would go down as the greatest achievement in Rangers history.

And that’s without taking into consideration where we were 10 years ago.

How many teams participated in the Europa League this season?
It says 58 on a quick google search, but including qualifier’s how many would it be?

Yes.

Winning the Europa League would be the greatest achievement in our history.

The tournaments are designed now so that clubs like us aren't meant to go far in Europe, never mind make the final/win the competition.

UEFA were likely rubbing their hands together at the prospect of a Dortmund/Barcelona final.

Praying and dreaming we win it on Wednesday and agree the achievement given our recent financial issues and being taken over by crooks will surpass anything the club has achieved to-date

Other clubs have huge wealth and resources so getting to the final is amazing

Winning the EL and all the trappings that come with a win would be truly remarkable

Surely this story has to be made into a film by Netflix, Amazon etc

It’s an amazing journey

We have one last hurdle on Wednesday

Win it for us please Rangers and I’m sure the players will also want to win it for Jimmy Bell and Sir Walter

Let’s do this Rangers

It really is something and I still need to pinch myself that these are the conversations we are now having about this squad. 2 years ago all we were talking about was how big of bottle merchants they were as we just couldn't seem to play football after a winter break and we were all fearing the scum winning the 9.5.
Invincible season in the league and then a European cup on Wednesday then absolutely the best team in our history it really is the stuff of dreams for us. Just please for the love of God win this on Wednesday Rangers and these players will be absolutely immortal up here

Would be the greatest ever sporting achievement by a Scottish club if we can pull it off

Hard to argue given how difficult it is in 2022 to win in Europe versus pre 90s.

We have no business being in a euro final its not set up for that.

I’ve heard people say this will be the Greatest Scottish Football achievement of all time.

I think it would be the Greatest Scottish Sporting Achievement ever.

Andy Murray winning Wimbledon was amazing. But he was also 3rd or 2nd favourite. Sir Chris Hoy winning 6 Olympic Golds was special but again he was usually the favourite. Them winning the EC was played against absolute muck until the Final. Scottish teams getting the later stages was very common then. Not now.

Us winning the EL is akin to Leicester winning the PL. Totally unthinkable at the start of the tournament.

C’mon Rangers. Go and make yourself all time greats!

I’ve heard people say this will be the Greatest Scottish Football achievement of all time.

I think it would be the Greatest Scottish Sporting Achievement ever.

Andy Murray winning Wimbledon was amazing. But he was also 3rd or 2nd favourite. Sir Chris Hoy winning 6 Olympic Golds was special but again he was usually the favourite. Them winning the EC was played against absolute muck until the Final. Scottish teams getting the later stages was very common then. Not now.

Us winning the EL is akin to Leicester winning the PL. Totally unthinkable at the start of the tournament.

C’mon Rangers. Go and make yourself all time greats!
Someone will be over with 'aye but what about the curling??' in a few minutes.

Those players have the opportunity to cement themselves with immortality

They’ll be spoke about for life if they can pull it off

Look at the European record of Walter in the 90s and Dick Advocaat. Really poor for sides that we speak of as being light years ahead of our current side. I would agree with the OP.

We played Real Madrid in a friendly at the start of this season.

Who could have guessed at the time, that we'd now be one game away from playing them (or Liverpool) in the Super Cup at the start of the following season!? :D

When it comes to history, I think there's the pre European football Rangers and the Rangers of the European football era.

It's all impossible to verify, and all a bit academic, but the Rangers of the late 1920s and early 1930s were regarded as the best in Britain and maybe the world. If there was a European competition back then, I'm certain they would have won it more than once.

it would be the greatest achievement in my life, im 45.

Also will be glorious having celtic fans try to talk up their european cup win (which i wont talk down) which the vast majority have only seen on tv.
I always like to remind them that it was won by the Celtic Football and Athletic Coy Ltd.

It would be the greatest achievement in our history. For sure.

That might de facto make them the ‘greatest team’ but I think that’s a whole different argument.

Back