10/11 v 19/20

Sweet & Salty

With the recent talk of whether or not we are title challengers this season I thought it would be interesting to compare our squad with the last Rangers title winning team (season 10/11) and pick my starting 11 and 7 subs. Just to jog peoples memories the title winning squad is as follows:

No. Pos Name

1 GK Allan McGregor
25 GK Neil Alexander
3 DF David Weir
4 DF Kirk Broadfoot
5 DF Saša Papac
12 DF Richard Foster
16 DF Steven Whittaker
21 DF Kyle Bartley
24 DF Madjid Bougherra
6 MF Lee McCulloch
7 MF Maurice Edu
8 MF Steven Davis
10 MF John Fleck
20 MF Vladimír Weiss
39 MF Gregg Wylde
40 MF Jamie Ness
9 FW Kenny Miller
11 FW Kyle Lafferty
14 FW Steven Naismith
15 FW David Healy
17 FW El Hadji Diouf
18 FW Nikica Jelavić
19 FW James Beattie
29 FW Andrew Little

I would go wit:

McGregor
Tav Weir Bougy Papac

Naismith Jack Davis Kent

Morelos Jelavic

Subs: Foderingham, Katic, Whittaker, Aribo, Miller, McCulloch, Defoe

Edited Katic to Weir as I agree it was a mistake!

Last edited:
With the recent talk of whether or not we are title challengers this season I thought it would be interesting to compare our squad with the last Rangers title winning team (season 10/11) and pick my starting 11 and 7 subs. Just to jog peoples memories the title winning squad is as follows:

No. Pos Name

1 GK Allan McGregor
25 GK Neil Alexander
3 DF David Weir
4 DF Kirk Broadfoot
5 DF Saša Papac
12 DF Richard Foster
16 DF Steven Whittaker
21 DF Kyle Bartley
24 DF Madjid Bougherra
6 MF Lee McCulloch
7 MF Maurice Edu
8 MF Steven Davis
10 MF John Fleck
20 MF Vladimír Weiss
39 MF Gregg Wylde
40 MF Jamie Ness
9 FW Kenny Miller
11 FW Kyle Lafferty
14 FW Steven Naismith
15 FW David Healy
17 FW El Hadji Diouf
18 FW Nikica Jelavić
19 FW James Beattie
29 FW Andrew Little

I would go wit:

McGregor
Tav Katic Bougy Papac

Naismith Jack Davis Kent

Morelos Jelavic

Subs: Foderingham, Weir, Whittaker, Aribo, Miller, McCulloch, Defoe
Katic over Weir for the love of god haha

Need to win something before there is even a debate.

It’s all well being a better player but being a winner is something you can’t teach.

That 2010/11 season started out brilliantly in the league. We didn't drop a single point until the 30th October (draw at home v ICT).

Included a 3-1 away win at Parkhead and a 4-0 home win v Dundee United.

First loss came 10th November home to Hibs. Total of five losses during the season (Hibs (H), Celtic (H), Hearts (A), Celtic (A), Dundee United (H) ) and three draws (Inverness (H), Celtic (H), Inverness (A) )

I am not saying this team are title winners ffs, I actually still think Celtic are decent favourites for the league.

It was just supposed to be some fun, we're on the international break ffs there's hardly much else to talk about!

If anything the most i took out of this was how good a job Sir Walter done!!

Don't agree with this 'have to win something' patter.

The Dutch team in the 70s didn't win the World Cup but they're still regarded as one of the greatest teams of all time.

I think only Morelos would get in. You could make an argument for Tav but Whittaker and even Broadfoot played for us at a high level, our domestic league was better imo, they played in the champions league etc.

Tell me why I'm wrong :p

We were shite last Thursday now being compared to a team that won 3IAR :))

Madness on here
People on here compare our squad to 4/5/6 years ago all the time to show how far we have come. Why not compare our squad with the last time we won the league as an indicator to how far we still need to go?

That 2010/11 season started out brilliantly in the league. We didn't drop a single point until the 30th October (draw at home v ICT).

Included a 3-1 away win at Parkhead and a 4-0 home win v Dundee United.

First loss came 10th November home to Hibs. Total of five losses during the season (Hibs (H), Celtic (H), Hearts (A), Celtic (A), Dundee United (H) ) and three draws (Inverness (H), Celtic (H), Inverness (A) )
Our last 4 title wins we finished on 93, 86, 87 and 93 points. At this stage we had 17, 19, 18 and 24 points.

Currently doing 1.5 points better than the average of those 4. Very early days yet though.

People on here compare our squad to 4/5/6 years ago all the time to show how far we have come. Why not compare our squad with the last time we won the league as an indicator to how far we still need to go?

This is the best squad we have had by a mile since 2012. That's not hard.

But that 3IAR team under Smith before the shit hit the fan were battle hardened and unbelievably consistent. On paper it might not look as glamorous as some teams in the 00's but they could churn out results.

This current team need to show they can do this over the whole season before they can be considered for any sort of Rangers select. And i just hope to f/ck it is this season.

I am not saying this team are title winners ffs, I actually still think Celtic are decent favourites for the league.

It was just supposed to be some fun, we're on the international break ffs there's hardly much else to talk about!

If anything the most i took out of this was how good a job Sir Walter done!!
You go for it mate a wee bit of fun , must have missed where you tried to say the squads were equal ,oh checked you didn't . posters lighten up a wee bit

I think only Morelos would get in. You could make an argument for Tav but Whittaker and even Broadfoot played for us at a high level, our domestic league was better imo, they played in the champions league etc.

I'd have Jelavic before Alfie.

My thinking is much the same in that only Tav possibly gets in the 10/11 side and that's purely because Broadfoot was never a favourite.

I'd have a Naismith, Miller, Jelavic front three ahead of what we've got just now in Arfield, Kent and Alfie.

Midfield is up for debate as, if you take Davis as a like for like with himself, Edu and McCulloch were never brilliant either but worked as part of that team. Jack and Aribo could be contenders ahead of those two but they've not proven enough yet.

This probably is a mistake. My memory is maybe tainted by Weir's last season when his legs seemed to have completely gone.
That was Weirs last season more or less sure he only played against Malmo the following season, and went to Sheff United I may be mistaken

For the quality of football played that Rangers team of 99/00 was by some distance the best I've watched in 50 years watching Rangers.

Totally agree mate. Blockbuster signings waltzing in the door every other week.

And we were up against a really tough Tim side under O'Neill. McLeish actually done brilliantly when he took over looking back.

If you look at the line ups in the "Lovenkrands" final, both sides will probably never be bettered in terms of quality.

Reactions: ao2
It’s undoubtedly the best team since 2012 mate, no denying that but it’s very hard to compare with a squad that could grind our results so consistently over those 3 seasons which is something our current crop have still to do imo

My thinking is much the same in that only Tav possibly gets in the 10/11 side and that's purely because Broadfoot was never a favourite.

I'd have a Naismith, Miller, Jelavic front three ahead of what we've got just now in Arfield, Kent and Alfie.

Midfield is up for debate as, if you take Davis as a like for like with himself, Edu and McCulloch were never brilliant either but worked as part of that team. Jack and Aribo could be contenders ahead of those two but they've not proven enough yet.

He gets pelters on here but credit to Broadfoot, he worked like f/ck on his fitness and his physique when he came to us and he was very disciplined enough to learn a new position in right back. He was very able cover for Whittaker at the time, following the sale of Hutton.

This thread brought me back 20 years to 99/00. F/ck me, none of the players listed above would get in that side.
Morelos would've been a better replacement than Dodds for Mols after Munich at the end of October.Still gutting we actually only got to see Mols at his best for 3 months.

He gets pelters on here but credit to Broadfoot, he worked like f/ck on his fitness and his physique when he came to us and he was very disciplined enough to lean a new position in right back. He was very able cover for Whittaker at the time, following the sale of Hutton.

Yup agreed. An absolute prick of a man now though and I've got literally no time for him whatsoever.

Morelos would've been a better replacement than Dodds for Mols after Munich at the end of October.Still gutting we actually only got to see Mols at his best for 3 months.

Arrived at us at 29 and I could not believe how good he was. As you say, those first 3 months he was breathtaking. The 4 goals v Motherwell and running riot v PSV. I genuinely think he was one of the best strikers in Europe at that point.

I'd have Jelavic over Alfie as well if it were 1 up front. I recently seen a Twitter video of all of Jelavic's goals and he was some player. I just can't see Morelos pulling off some of the goals Jelavic did, but on the other hand I can't see Jelavic bullying defenders the way Morelos does. Give me a 442 :D

The Jelavic goal away to Hearts for example, just total skill and ability.

Totally agree mate. Blockbuster signings waltzing in the door every other week.

And we were up against a really tough Tim side under O'Neill. McLeish actually done brilliantly when he took over looking back.

If you look at the line ups in the "Lovenkrands" final, both sides will probably never be bettered in terms of quality.

We even lost with style. I remember Dundee beating us at Ibrox and we battered them. The March game with the scum at home was 4-0 going on 10, and I am not exaggerating. Mols, Gio, The Hammer, Klos etc. It was a well oiled machine that team.

We even lost with style. I remember Dundee beating us at Ibrox and we battered them. The March game with the scum at home was 4-0 going on 10, and I am not exaggerating. Mols, Gio, The Hammer, Klos etc. It was a well oiled machine that team.

I remember it well. Sunny day and it was attack after attack. We should have nailed the Bastards that day.

Love the excitement levels on here - 2 points clear after 8 games and everyone has lost their heads haha

This is the best squad we have had by a mile since 2012. That's not hard.

But that 3IAR team under Smith before the shit hit the fan were battle hardened and unbelievably consistent. On paper it might not look as glamorous as some teams in the 00's but they could churn out results.

This current team need to show they can do this over the whole season before they can be considered for any sort of Rangers select. And i just hope to f/ck it is this season.
Agreed. I think my main take away from this was just how good Watty done turning this squad into a bunch of battle hardened grinders. On paper I don't think they are a million miles away but they all knew how to win.

Agreed. I think my main take away from this was just how good Watty done turning this squad into a bunch of battle hardened grinders. On paper I don't think they are a million miles away but they all knew how to win.

Smith coming in after PLG was massive. The Tims knew he had the measure of them and were gutted.

Can't believe there are people who would rather have Edu and McCulloch over Jack and Aribo on the basis that Edu and McCulloch won trophies.

It can't be ignored though. I was never an Edu fan but he proved himself to be of value in a Walter team that knew how to win. That counts for a lot being a Ranger.

It's why guys like Stuart Munro are preferred to the likes of Jan Bartam.

Munro was perhaps notof the quality to get 30 caps for an top class European national team but he performed for a Rangers team that won trophies and Batram didn't.

There's countless similar examples.

Until Ryan Jack and Joe Aribo have a league winners medal, they won't be remembered as fondly as a number of "lesser" players who do.

No. Pos Name

1 GK Allan McGregor
25 GK Neil Alexander
3 DF David Weir
4 DF Kirk Broadfoot
5 DF Saša Papac
12 DF Richard Foster
16 DF Steven Whittaker
21 DF Kyle Bartley
24 DF Madjid Bougherra
6 MF Lee McCulloch
7 MF Maurice Edu
8 MF Steven Davis
10 MF John Fleck
20 MF Vladimír Weiss
39 MF Gregg Wylde
40 MF Jamie Ness
9 FW Kenny Miller
11 FW Kyle Lafferty
14 FW Steven Naismith
15 FW David Healy
17 FW El Hadji Diouf
18 FW Nikica Jelavić
19 FW James Beattie
29 FW Andrew Little

I would go wit:

McGregor
Tav Katic Bougy Papac

Naismith Jack Davis Kent

Morelos Jelavic

Subs: Foderingham, Weir, Whittaker, Aribo, Miller, McCulloch, Defoe

This is taking FF's hard on for Katic to new levels... Katic before Davie Weir???? naw, just naw.

You're wrong because Tav is better than both of them.

Need to win something before there is even a debate.

It’s all well being a better player but being a winner is something you can’t teach.
Here’s a debate then:
The Ross County or Inverness or St.Johnstone or whoever else won trophies during our absence, are they better teams than the current Rangers side?

It can't be ignored though. I was never an Edu fan but he proved himself to be of value in a Walter team that knew how to win. That counts for a lot being a Ranger.

It's why guys like Stuart Munro are preferred to the likes of Jan Bartam.

Munro was perhaps notof the quality to get 30 caps for an top class European national team but he performed for a Rangers team that won trophies and Batram didn't.

There's countless similar examples.

Until Ryan Jack and Joe Aribo have a league winners medal, they won't be remembered as fondly as a number of "lesser" players who do.
It's flawed logic to dictate that better teams win trophies 100% of the time, and it ignores the fact that football is inherently unpredictable, particularly when it comes to knock-out cup competitions.

The one thing that sticks in my mind from the 3 years 09-11 is our ability to grind out away wins. At times it was anything but spectacular and could amount to a long afternoon watching SDW heading away countless long balls but invariably we’d come away with the 3 points courtesy of a 1-0 win

That kind of thing didn’t always happen last season but the win 1-0 win over St Mirren had some of the same characteristics

Back