10/11 v 19/20

Individually that 10/11 team wasn't incredible but it was how they played to their strengths together that worked so well as a team. The same way some old Fergie sides had average players dominating superstars, I think that's why guys like Alfie, Tav and Jack would get in that team (possibly Kent as well because we never had much out left after DMB left)

It's flawed logic to dictate that better teams win trophies 100% of the time, and it ignores the fact that football is inherently unpredictable, particularly when it comes to knock-out cup competitions.

It's not flawed fact though that one set of them have won trophies and the other ones haven't.

I'm not saying better teams win all the time. It's clear that those players, what ever we thought of them, could win things though.

2 points clear and this team is suddenly super human :D.

Last Friday morning they were all pish!

I love FF. This current team need to win trophies for any comparison to the past.

We will.

I reckon we will win the League Cup and the league title.

The Scottish Cup could also be ours depending on what kind of draw we get.

If we could make it through to the EL knock-out phase then what a season this would be.

But right now I would happily see us pumped out of every other competition if it guaranteed us #55 next spring. That is all that matters. We must win this title.

Individually that 10/11 team wasn't incredible but it was how they played to their strengths together that worked so well as a team. The same way some old Fergie sides had average players dominating superstars, I think that's why guys like Alfie, Tav and Jack would get in that team (possibly Kent as well because we never had much out left after DMB left)

I get what you're saying but I think that's doing down the talents of the likes of Jelavic in the 2011 team.

That team had star talent AND the ability to win games as a group.

I think, if anything, we overplay the "star" talent of some of the current players as, while we don't have that proven winning achievements yet, we're clinging to any positive we can.

It's the same reason we were screaming out to buy Emerson Hyndman, Sean Goss and Harris Vukcic. They were far from great as it turns out but as they shone among the lesser stuff in the teams they played in we thought they were better than they were.

People would rightly say that Alfie's the star turn now...still don't think he gets in ahead of Jelavic.

It's not flawed fact though that one set of them have won trophies and the other ones haven't.

I'm not saying better teams win all the time. It's clear that those players, what ever we thought of them, could win things though.
Doesn’t make them better players in any way.
For example, was the team of 67 to 69 better than that of 1970?

So if we agree that better teams do not win all of the trophies all of the time, it's possible, or even probable, that we have had some teams that didn't win a trophy that are better than teams that did.

People always underplay the factor that luck has in trophy wins. It's huge.

Personally, I think this side is better than 10/11. And it's a whole lot better than 11/12.

So if we agree that better teams do not win all of the trophies all of the time, it's possible, or even probable, that we have had some teams that didn't win a trophy that are better than teams that did.

People always underplay the factor that luck has in trophy wins. It's huge.

Personally, I think this side is better than 10/11. And it's a whole lot better than 11/12.

What you're talking about in that first sentence isn't the point of this thread. We're talking about individual players.

Using your logic, given this Celtic side is worse than their 2011 one, you'll be sticking the mortgage on us winning the league then?

Doesn’t make them better players in any way.
For example, was the team of 67 to 69 better than that of 1970?

As individuals, it's always hard to compare across eras.

However, those players won trophies against a competition which was tougher than the one the current teams faces today so it indicates they were better.

Celtic's team now wouldn't lay a glove on their 2011 team. Unless we can overturn them, it follows that our team isn't better than our 2011 one then.

2 points clear and this team is suddenly super human :D.

Last Friday morning they were all pish!

I love FF. This current team need to win trophies for any comparison to the past.
The wonder of FF for you,go from one extreme to another.
That's why I avoid match threads normally and keep away from here for a day or two after a defeat.
Don't get me wrong I am loving it at the moment and long may it continue but I will see where we are after the December fixtures before I get too excited about our title chances.

What you're talking about in that first sentence isn't the point of this thread. We're talking about individual players.

Using your logic, given this Celtic side is worse than their 2011 one, you'll be sticking the mortgage on us winning the league then?
If you want to talk about individual players, then even better. That 2010/11 side had some very agricultural players.

I would strongly contest that this Celtic side is much better than their 2011 one. The wage bill reflects that too.

That 2010/11 season started out brilliantly in the league. We didn't drop a single point until the 30th October (draw at home v ICT).

Included a 3-1 away win at Parkhead and a 4-0 home win v Dundee United.

First loss came 10th November home to Hibs. Total of five losses during the season (Hibs (H), Celtic (H), Hearts (A), Celtic (A), Dundee United (H) ) and three draws (Inverness (H), Celtic (H), Inverness (A) )
We went behind a fair few times in that run too and came back to win.

If you want to talk about individual players, then even better. That 2010/11 side had some very agricultural players.

I would strongly contest that this Celtic side is much better than their 2011 one. The wage bill reflects that too.

Wage bills mean nothing or Advocaats 2001 team would have been better than his 1999 one.

That starting XI from 2011 only had Broadfoot, Edu and Jig who would be in the "clogger" category. The other 8 were very competent football players.

Oir current team could do with both of those elements to the level the 2011 team had.

a comparison of 15/16 to 19/20 would be even more heart warmimg

Given we couldnt get a shot on target against Hamilton Accies in the first game

We are at a level now that wins Scottish Titles, whether we do or not is up to us and the small margins of sport

This thread was meant to be subjective. Who would YOUR team be? Not who would Walter Smiths team be. Am sure Davie Weir would be first name on Walters team sheet but maybe wouldn’t even make Pep Guardiolas squad lol.

I'd not have a single member of our current squad in the 10/11 team until they win something.

Nothing else matters beyond that.

An Aribo who isn’t a guaranteed starter today,
I don't really remember Edu being a regular starter either. Certainly neither of those were capable of filling the void left by the immense Kevin Thomson leaving. Seemed to work ok though.

This is about the fifth thread recently that I've looked at the title and opened it expecting something about betting

Back