10 IAR failure - was it any one thing?

Negri was a huge issue.his goals would have seen us over the line.

Smith announcing he was going would have made any team down tools.

I agree with this. For the very short time he actually played for us, Negri was phenomenal and I think he could have made the difference.

Walter's announcement was a big factor too. I'm sure it's been spoken about from ex-players at some point?

The green grapes getting their act together properly didn't help matters either!

I actually think AIMING FOR and TALKING ABOUT "9 in a row" for all those years was a big psychological mistake. Our aim should've been 10 all along.

10 was always the goal from my point of view. Maybe the huge celebrations of 9 had an effect of the psychology, as if we were over the line.

The fans certainly always sung about 10. "It's gonna be 8, it's gonna be 9, it's gonna be 10 in a roo-oo-oo-oow"

There were plenty of reasons but at the end of the day it was just one league season too many for a great set of players.

We were never going to be allowed to win 10 in a row, imo. People forget the off the scale paranoia whipped up that season by a hugely irresponsible media regarding refs. There was a genuine poison in the air. Almost every time that mob dropped points the ref was called into question. Glasgow and Lanarkshire would have witnessed riots if we had won the League that season.

Was Gazza not out boozing with Sean Ryder, Danny Baker, Jimmy 5 Bellies, Chris Evans and that guy Will.

So 90s

Last edited:
Laudrup injured
Smith announcing he was leaving
Older squad

We never got going any time we edged in front we f***ed up. Can anyone with a better memory (so anyone :)) help me piece it together? One thing I do remember was losing late goals and lots of grumbles about fitness, drinking culture and 'bad habits'...
Too many players topping up their pension. Players telling Walter that they did not want to come off when he wanted to sub them. It was a mates club within the club. Needed a clear out after 9 and we would have won 10. I do admit that hindsight is an exact science.

Back