102 Points per season

RainMan1972

102 points per season are available to us in the league out with the 12 points from old firm games.

34 matches v other spl teams we have a financial advantage over! We already have 9/9 in these games with 93 more points to play for

Realistically how many points should we accrue here? It’s impossible to get 102/102 but even if we could get 90/102 allowing for say 2 defeats 3 draws and at least 4 points from old firms we at a minimum get very close with that! Thoughts?

Who am I to doubt Rain Man & math

EiWKtAd.gif

Last edited:
Hope I’m wrong but with the quality of the other teams deteriorating I am expecting the mhanks to drop very few points against the diddy mobs this season. I think it might take the consistency and points total of the treble season (6-1 v Dunfermline year) to win it this time out.

Op is correct about the financial advantage. We should be pumping all the other teams routinely regardless of ten men spoiler tactics. 9 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat in each of the three full rounds of fixtures (including games v them) Would put us in a really strong position going into the split. I don’t think we will have consistency for that so need to make the other 3 OF games count in our favour.

In answer to op I don’t think we will lose too many against the diddy mobs (2/3 maybe) but I am worried about draws piling up maybe 7-10 or more.

Hope I’m wrong but with the quality of the other teams deteriorating I am expecting the mhanks to drop very few points against the diddy mobs this season. I think it might take the consistency and points total of the treble season (6-1 v Dunfermline year) to win it this time out.

Op is correct about the financial advantage. We should be pumping all the other teams routinely regardless of ten men spoiler tactics. 9 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat in each of the three full rounds of fixtures (including games v them) Would put us in a really strong position going into the split. I don’t think we will have consistency for that so need to make the other 3 OF games count in our favour.

In answer to op I don’t think we will lose too many against the diddy mobs (2/3 maybe) but I am worried about draws piling up maybe 7-10 or more.

That’s exactly what I’m thinking BlueBear_73
The better teams outside the old firm this season look poor. Aberdeen declined Hibs declined, Hearts turmoil, Kilmarnock declined.

A relentlessness against the "diddy 10" could easily overturn the the negative impact of Sunday.

Brenda's tenure at Celtc brought 2.23 points per game - say 84 points. At best I reckon a 5% drop off for Lennon - he's simply not as good - 80 points.

I think 81 wins it.

Problem for us is we are still struggling to break down defensive teams.

Progres, Kilmarnock, St Mirren and Legia games have shown this already this season.

Even the Hibs game was at 2-1 until fairly late on.

Since the split was introduced, titles which have been very close two horse races have required over 90 points.

There are 114 points available including OF games. We probably need 6 from 12 of these, and 3 are gone.

88 from 102 gets us to 94.

That should be enough

We need to be able to get results against Aberdeen as well. For some reason we really struggled against them last year even though they are awful.

Working on our set pieces (especially corners) is key as we get a lot of them and rarely do anything good from them. Katic should be a big threat here.

90+ points probably puts us at worst going into the final day of the season with a chance to win the league.

Obviously if they go on a crazy run of wins and end up on 96+ for the season then we will struggle to match that.

Anything over 20 dropped points, including games against them, and we will be starting to struggle to keep up this year.

Against the other 10 you'd be wanting to only have 2 or 3 draws and 2 or 3 defeats at worst. Assuming that the OF games are very tight, which they will be.

They had a relatively poor showing last season finishing on only 87. Many years that is not enough to win the league.

For some context, they had TWO 0-0 draws at home all season and that's it for dropped points at home. We are already down 3 points at home. So we are looking to win every home game now.
We had one defeat and 4 draws at home last season.

Away from home they had 5 defeats and 4 draws.
We had 5 defeats and 5 draws.

Our goal for the season MUST be 90+ points and one of the cups. If we were to win the league on 82 or 87 points or whatever then brilliant but the odds are that 90+ will be the minimum requirement to even take it to the final day.

Problem for us is we are still struggling to break down defensive teams.

Progres, Kilmarnock, St Mirren and Legia games have shown this already this season.

Even the Hibs game was at 2-1 until fairly late on.

Not having ago, but we DID win all of those games/ties

90+ points probably puts us at worst going into the final day of the season with a chance to win the league.

Obviously if they go on a crazy run of wins and end up on 96+ for the season then we will struggle to match that.

Anything over 20 dropped points, including games against them, and we will be starting to struggle to keep up this year.

Against the other 10 you'd be wanting to only have 2 or 3 draws and 2 or 3 defeats at worst. Assuming that the OF games are very tight, which they will be.

They had a relatively poor showing last season finishing on only 87. Many years that is not enough to win the league.

For some context, they had TWO 0-0 draws at home all season and that's it for dropped points at home. We are already down 3 points at home. So we are looking to win every home game now.
We had one defeat and 4 draws at home last season.

Away from home they had 5 defeats and 4 draws.
We had 5 defeats and 5 draws.

Our goal for the season MUST be 90+ points and one of the cups. If we were to win the league on 82 or 87 points or whatever then brilliant but the odds are that 90+ will be the minimum requirement to even take it to the final day.
You are right, there is no chance the league will be won with an 80's points tally this season, we must aim for 90 plus

You are right, there is no chance the league will be won with an 80's points tally this season, we must aim for 90 plus

Agreed! Too much dross in the league this season to win it with high 80's

It's looking like high 90's, let's say at least 97 points, meaning we would need to get 82 from the remaining 96.

Agreed! Too much dross in the league this season to win it with high 80's

It's looking like high 90's, let's say at least 97 points, meaning we would need to get 82 from the remaining 96.
I still think they will hit a rocky patch at somepoint, as always with Lennon when its good its good but if they do hit a bad patch it could get bad.

There isn't much between the 2 sides and losing that first old firm was a huge blow, we have got the goal difference down to 6 now which is also something that could be important at the end of the season.

We need to be ruthless Tim's seen to be more clinical this year than they were last.

Small margins but even both teams winning yesterday we clawed a couple goals back difference wise. Not looking for any victory but every little helps especially if games can come down to our matches against each other.

Aberdeen match is huge we really can't drop any points this weekend

I still think they will hit a rocky patch at somepoint, as always with Lennon when its good its good but if they do hit a bad patch it could get bad.

There isn't much between the 2 sides and losing that first old firm was a huge blow, we have got the goal difference down to 6 now which is also something that could be important at the end of the season.
True about Lennon, hopefully Edouard picks up an injury for a few months they'd be very short up top

True about Lennon, hopefully Edouard picks up an injury for a few months they'd be very short up top
He normally gets injured during a season and injuries could well play a big part in the outcome of the title.

In past seasons i would be confident of Hibs getting a result this weekend but i don't see it.

I'd agree Recoba, the last 20 odd years of the SPL proves there is normally always a rocky patch.

I think realistically we need to take a minimum of 4 points from the remaining old firms, we can't lose twice at Parkhead. We might need 6 but I think 4 and incredible consistency in the other games could get us close.

He normally gets injured during a season and injuries could well play a big part in the outcome of the title.

In past seasons i would be confident of Hibs getting a result this weekend but i don't see it.
Nah Hibs have no chance on Sunday unfortunately.

I'd agree Recoba, the last 20 odd years of the SPL proves there is normally always a rocky patch.

I think realistically we need to take a minimum of 4 points from the remaining old firms, we can't lose twice at Parkhead. We might need 6 but I think 4 and incredible consistency in the other games could get us close.
We really need to beat them in their own midden to make up for the first game, for me we have to win 2 of the next 3 old firms which is doable.

Nah Hibs have no chance on Sunday unfortunately.

Agreed, much more chance of Livingston taking a 0-0 v the mentally challengeds a week on Sunday in Livingston.

Although they have not won away to Hibs in the league in either of the last 2 seasons, but due to their terrible form (Hibs) there is no chance. Hopefully they sack their manager and get a new man in and they have some kind of new manager bounce, that's all we can hope for.

Agreed, much more chance of Livingston taking a 0-0 v the mentally challengeds a week on Sunday in Livingston.

Although they have not won away to Hibs in the league in either of the last 2 seasons, but due to their terrible form (Hibs) there is no chance. Hopefully they sack their manager and get a new man in and they have some kind of new manager bounce, that's all we can hope for.
That's what i was hoping for but not sure he will get the sack thi week.

The dhims got 96 points out of 102 outside of matches against us in 2016-2017.

Whilst I don't think they will equal that I think they will be close to it given the paucity of the opposition this season. We must match it to have any chance - we can do that but it won't come easy. Our Ibrox defeat already looks a blow but we can get points at their midden. They are strong favourites though and i'm not going to pretend otherwise.

The dhims got 96 points out of 102 outside of matches against us in 2016-2017.

Whilst I don't think they will equal that I think they will be close to it given the paucity of the opposition this season. We must match it to have any chance - we can do that but it won't come easy. Our Ibrox defeat already looks a blow but we can get points at their midden. They are strong favourites though and i'm not going to pretend otherwise.

They categorically won't get 106 points again, that was just a mental season, combination of them playing well and every other side being beaten before even going on to the park- 34 wins, 4 draws, 0 defeats.

They won't reach 100 points, neither will we.

They categorically won't get 106 points again, that was just a mental season, combination of them playing well and every other side being beaten before even going on to the park- 34 wins, 4 draws, 0 defeats.

They won't reach 100 points, neither will we.

I don't think they'll quite do that either but our management and players have to believe they might - we need to continue hoovering up points.

I think both teams will drop unexpected points before now and the split.

Celtic won 1-0 against a bad Hamilton team and it took us a last minute winner against Killie.

Neither team will be always be as lucky.

The pressure is all on us at the moment. They don't look like slipping up and we can't fall any further behind.

We have to get something at Parkhead and hope they drop some points elsewhere.

I always feel like trying to predict when they will drop points is a waste of energy. :)

Last time we won it they finished on 92 points.
Beaten by us at home. (After both of us were on a run of 8 wins)
Beaten by Hearts away.
3 draws in a row at home to Dundee Utd, Inverness, Kilmarnock. (who the hell could predict that!)
Draw away to Hamilton.
Loss away to Motherwell.
Draw away to us.
Loss away to Inverness.

The season before that they finished on a miserable 81 points and it's worth pointing out that they won 8 matches back to back at the end of the season.

It means they won 8 league games in a row in 2 seasons (16 back to back wins) where we won the league. :) Haha!

2008 - 2009 season they had another shitty year with only 82 points picked up. They had a TWELVE game winning streak across September, October and November but outside of that they never won more than 2 games in a row.

Helicopter Sunday we won the league on 93 points (they finished on 92, of course)
Dropped points by them:
Draws with Hibs and Dundee away.
Beaten away by us and Motherwell.
Beaten AT HOME by Aberdeen, Us, Hearts and Hibs. (again, who is successfully predicting that)

2002-03 season was pretty wild with both of us finishing on 97 points.
Beaten away at Motherwell, us and Hearts.
Draws away to Kilmarnock, Aberdeen and Dundee.
Draw 3-3 at home to us.

Anyway, my point is that these things are wildly unpredictable.
They'll drop points for sure but good luck correctly guessing when.

Our players and management just need to focus on us and we need to back the team 100% all the way.

At the end of the day we can only judge ourselves on our points total. If we rack up 90+ points and it's not enough to win the league then fair enough.

Just for context, when we won 54 we actually dropped 12 points at home (3 defeats and 2 draws) and 8 points away (2 defeats and 1 draw).

Started the season with 9 wins and then drew 1-1 and home to Inverness then lost our next home game 3-0 to Hibs. Drew 1-1 away at Inverness and then lost 2-0 at home to them. Lost 1-0 away to Hearts, lost 3-0 away to them, lost 3-2 at home to Dundee United and finally drew 0-0 at home to them.

This stuff is seriously unpredictable.

I always feel like trying to predict when they will drop points is a waste of energy. :)

Anyway, my point is that these things are wildly unpredictable.
They'll drop points for sure but good luck correctly guessing when.

This stuff is seriously unpredictable.

See? :)

Who'd have thought they would drop points 2 weekends in a row?
5 point turnaround just like that.

It's all up to us now.

Back